Repairs, overhauls, and maintains vehicles. This is a position available to 2nd, 3rd, 4th year students and above.
Working conditions include restricted movement, dirty environment, air contamination, intense noise, hazardous materials, lifting or carrying heavy objects - so strong situational awareness and good work ethic are a must.
Examples of Duties:
- Overhauls and repairs engines and transmissions on gas and diesel equipment.
- Performs tune-ups on vehicles.
- Overhauls, repairs, and/or replaces other vehicle parts such as parts on steering and brake systems.
- Replaces shock absorbers, checks and balances wheels, and checks for proper tire alignment.
- Performs diversified electrical work on all automotive and related equipment, such as servicing, installing batteries and terminals, repairing and adjusting lights, and repairing generators and starters.
- Uses diagnostic equipment as an aid in locating vehicle defects.
- Troubleshoots and repairs or replaces digital electronic components and computers.
- Fabricates and/or reconstructs equipment by using gas, arc, NIG or TIG welding methods.
- Performs emission control repair, replacement, and testing on all required vehicles.
- Road tests vehicles to locate operational defects prior to returning to active use.
- Drives buses and other vehicles for special events or field trips as needed.
- Overhauls, repairs, and maintains heavy equipment which may include tractors, crawlers, and the like.
- Operates shop machines, such as milling and metal lathes, to rebuild or fabricate machine parts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of automotive and heavy equipment diagnosis and repair.
- Skill in the diagnosis and repair of automotive, heavy equipment, or farm equipment.
- Skill in operating shop tools and machines.
- Skill in modifying, designing, and fabricating special purpose equipment.
Four years' experience in the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of automobiles and/or farm equipment; OR, Completion of a one year vocational training program in automotive or farm mechanics AND three years' experience in the diagnosis, repair, and maintenance of automobiles, and/or farm equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Requires possession of a current Alberta driver's license upon employment.