EPCOR Utilities Inc. is looking for a Health & Safety expert to join a growing team and contribute to the future success of our Fort McMurray operations.
Reporting to the Manager, Water Services Health & Safety the Advisor, Water Services Health & Safety is accountable for collaboratively liaising with internal and external customers to support Water Services in managing operational risk and achieving its strategic H&S goals.
This includes assisting workers, supervisors, managers and directors of the assigned business area in performing hazard assessments, workplace inspections, behavioural-based safety observations, incident investigations, assessing compliance of field work practices to applicable legislation and internal protocols, interpreting applicable health and safety legislation, and the development of H&S performance measures.
This position is located in Fort McMurray, Alberta, and the successful candidate must reside in or be willing to relocate to the area. Relocation assistance may be provided if applicable.
The accountabilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Provide input to the Manager, Water Services Health and Safety strategic work plans, initiatives, goals, and statistical targets and directions.
- Work with all levels of management and employees to facilitate the implementation and administration of the EPCOR Environmental Health and Safety Management System and to attain compliance with applicable legislation, policies and procedures.
- Provide consultation and assist in work observations, workplace inspections, risk assessments, hazard analysis, job planning and incident investigations.
- Monitor for potential or upcoming legislative and regulatory changes.
- Provide interpretation and application of health and safety rules, regulations and legislation to management, staff and Health and Safety Committees.
- Participate in the development of Health and Safety performance measures, interpret results and coach/influence staff on how to improve performance.
- As required, act as a subject matter expert in the creation and review of new H&S training courses and protocols/procedures.
- Network with industry peers to ascertain potential best practice for adoption into EPCOR practice and procedures.
- Demonstrate a high performance, high discipline, safe, accountable, focused, innovative and achievement-oriented, easy to do business with manner of working.
As the successful candidate, you possess:
- The completion of post-secondary education in Occupational Health and Safety, Environmental Resource Management, or Occupational Hygiene. A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- A designation in good standing with the Board of Canadian Registered Safety Professionals (CRSP), Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP, COHST), or Canadian Registered Board of Occupational Hygienists (CIH, ROH or ROHT) is preferred.
- A strong understanding of Health and Safety regulatory requirements, and have experience conducting incident investigations, root cause analysis, audits, and creating/delivering training materials.
- Experience with project management, risk analysis and the development of mitigation strategies.
- Experience in water treatment/wastewater treatment an asset.
- Knowledge of auditing tools including the Alberta Partnerships Certificate of Recognition and OHSAS 18001.
As our best candidate, you have the ability to work with multiple stakeholders, manage multiple projects, and meet demands within specified timelines. You possess a strong attention to detail and well-developed problem solving skills. You are able to work effectively in and contribute to a team environment, and can effectively influence cross-functional teams. You demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills, and are able to express concepts and technical information effectively to diverse audiences.
Please note: You must have a valid Class 5 driver's license and be willing to travel to various sites in the Fort McMurray Oilsands area.
EPCOR employees enjoy a variety of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary
- Annual incentive (bonus) pay program
- Paid vacation
- Flexible benefits plan
- Five paid personal days off each year
- One Friday off per month
- Access to internal and external career development programs
- Financial support for personal development
- EPCOR Savings Plan with company matched contributions
- Pension Plan
- Financial support for employee wellness
- Career opportunities in a wide variety of disciplines and operational areas
- Financial support for charitable organizations that employees contribute to
For more information on this exciting career opportunity, please refer to IRC26275 on the EPCOR career website www.epcor.ca/careers
Application Deadline: November 10, 2012
Indeed - 18 months ago
EPCOR Utilities Inc., formerly known as Aqualta and Eltec, is a utility company based in Edmonton, Alberta, which manages numerous municipal...