EPCOR Water Services' Finance team is looking to hire one full-time temporary Accounting Assistant for up to 12 months (maternity leave coverage).
Reporting to the Manager, Edmonton Regulated Accounting, the Accounting Assistant is accountable for accounting and reporting functions for the departments operating at the Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Key responsibilities of this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing monthly, quarterly and year-to-date variance analyses by reviewing and discussing with managers.
- Assisting managers with the quarterly forecasting and annual budgeting processes and year-end reporting requirements.
- Analyzing financial information and preparing journal vouchers with supporting source documentation as required in support of the Gold Bar Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Reviewing and reconciling general ledger accounts and balances for omissions and posting or classification errors.
- Communicating with Operations managers and others as required, to ensure financial obligations are identified and recorded in compliance with EPCOR Finance policies.
- Assisting Operations managers by providing data and analysis which assists in decision making and the financial stewardship of their departments.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Two-year post-secondary diploma in Accounting or Finance.
- 3 years of directly related and progressive work experience.
- Accredited accounting designation (CA, CGA, CMA, CPA) or enrolled in either the CMA Strategic Leadership Program or 4th level of the CGA program would be considered a strong asset.
- Strong financial analysis capabilities and Microsoft Office skills. More specifically, candidates should be competent in the use of Microsoft Excel for the purpose of financial analysis and reporting. This includes the understanding and use of advanced functions such as Logical, Lookup and AutoSum formulas.
- Working level understanding and experience with a large Accounting software system – preferably Oracle Financials.
- Working knowledge of other related financial, reporting tools and work management systems (i.e. Business Intelligence, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Projects, IVARA) would be considered an asset.
- Working level understanding of Accounting concepts, procedures, practices and policies.
- Basic understanding of Wastewater Operations will be considered an asset.
The successful applicant will also possess:
- A keen attention to detail, results-oriented demeanor and excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Strong analytical and problem solving capabilities, with the ability to identify information directly related to the solution and present clear and effective recommendations for improvement.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Accurate application of relevant knowledge and technical skills to provide operations management with value-added financial analysis and input.
- Ability to work effectively within a team dynamic, in addition to working well independently and identifying when direction and guidance is required.
All EPCOR employees must demonstrate the following behaviours:
- Taking Initiative
- Taking Ownership
- Focusing on Continuous Improvement
- Adapting to Change
- Acting with Integrity
- Collaborating with Others
Wage: $30.60 - $36.51 per hour
Hours of work: 7.5 hours per day, 37.5 hours per week, Monday to Friday
Please note: A technical exercise may be administered as part of the interview process.
For more information on this exciting career opportunity, please refer to IRC27614 on the EPCOR career website www.epcor.com/careers
Application Deadline: July 23, 2013
Indeed - 7 months ago
EPCOR Utilities Inc., formerly known as Aqualta and Eltec, is a utility company based in Edmonton, Alberta, which manages numerous municipal...