Durham University Employee Reviews

I would not recommend this University based on my experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Durham12 November 2016
Unfortunately, there is not great academic support and an unfriendly 'culture' among students. Therefore, I would not recommend this University.
Working in a fast paced environment.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Durham27 September 2016
Cleaning and maintaining a clean work place to standard operation procedures.
My co workers were all very helpful and we worked together as a team.
It was a good working experience and something different to what i was used too.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough contracted hours
Day at work
Volunteer History researcher (Current Employee) –  Palace Green Library12 August 2016
I access websites and library material to research the life of Durham University Alumni who have served in the 1st World War
Pros
interesting
Excellent Student Job
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Durham2 August 2016
I found out about "student caller" through my college mentor. This job is set up for Durham University students to gain work experience and earn actual salary.
A typical day (evening) at work involve making calls to alumni to update profiles, informing and inviting them to events in Durham. Finally, asking them for their support for the worthy causes.
It is mainly managed by students. It is flexible. The work atmosphere is friendly and supportive.
The hardest part of the job is to ask someone for monetary donations.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to converse with alumni who are successful in life and work of whom are a few years ago in the same position as you are.
Pros
Typically set up for students
Cons
Low Pay
Enjoyable
Library Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees28 July 2016
I enjoyed my time as a library support assistant at Durham University because thats what I always wanted to do and it was an interesting experience helping students and at the same time being strict with them regarding university library policies.
Durham University
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, UK9 May 2016
Good environment to work in. Nice town with nice people. The staff always treats you with the utmost respect and kindness.
Engaging and Accomodating workplace
Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Durham11 February 2016
As it is with all fundraising, there are very good days and other days but overall it has provided an opportunity for me to learn to be patient, to better manage conversations and improve my persuasion skills.
Supervisors and more experienced colleagues are always on-hand to guide and show me what to do and how best to get the job done.
engaging workplace
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees4 February 2016
Variety of tasks
Friendly staff
Excellent catering
Career advancement through training opportunities
Engaging with other departments
Excellent University
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Durham, ENG29 September 2015
Stimulating work place
High standard of research
People very friendly and always happy to interact and give suggestion
Pros
quality of research
Cons
small city
International Experience
Team Durham Employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, UK25 August 2015
Beneficial and enjoyable work place, while obtaining a masters. You are put in as part of the staff while still being a student, and given a position of management as you work on academics as well.
Productive work place
Umpire (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG19 August 2015
It was only a single event that I've participated in and was a productive work place on that event. everyone had a positive work attitude towards the event.
Pros
Experience
Cons
long hours voluntary
A lonely job in spite of support.
Fundraise (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG15 August 2015
I worked with a team of other students on fundraising; asking previous students for financial support for the university. This work requires considerable courage and confidence, so was a useful experience.
Pros
Good support and pay
Cons
The work is difficult and not very rewarding.
Self-esteem growing environment with international culture background
Master´s student (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG23 June 2015
What I enjoy most was working with other members of the team and interacting with the academia and scientific members.
The hardest part of research, as I have experienced it, is the high level of responsability and project management duties.
I learned a lot from the neurosciences, analytical tools, scientific documentation/communicating and other cultural backgrounds.
Typical day at work was previously organized with my supervisory board (2 academia members) and well adjusted to the time frame.
I learned to communicte effectively and always prompted to get feedback.
Pros
Feedback
Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG21 May 2015
My work experience only lasted one week however, it was a lovely working environment. The tasks were different every day, I learned how to handle items with care and consistency.
Productive, demanding and rewarding work place
Field Researcher/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Mthatha, EC16 April 2015
Everyday we (field researcher, 10 individuals) had to go a particular location and try to recruit people of different ages to take part in the long questionnaire, irrespective of the weather conditions since we were working on a deadline and we need to have a particular number of people by the end of the few days. We visited four different locations in total. We were well taken care of and provided for, including a place to sleep and money for breakfast, lunch and super. I really enjoyed being part of that experience. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday that obviously had different personalities due to living in different locations. I learned that people cannot live without cell phones and even an 8 year old sometimes has a cell phone these days and the young age group love social networks.
Pros
Funds for breakfast, lunch and super. Pays well
Cons
Having to go to a dagerous township
Durham University
Undergraduate Student Admission (Former Employee) –  Palatine Centre3 March 2015
My typical day included, checking the figures, and making sure they were up to date from the previous day. Other duties were checking email queries from other departments, checking external application enquiries and processing applications for students based on offers and rejections.

I learned how to organise my day better, about university life and culture, and the process of registration through UCAS.

The management offered a relaxed and flexible management style, I was able to manage my own workload, and they trusted me with my tasks.

The other people in the department made me feel part of the team, welcomed me as part of the team, and were very helpful in showing me what to do.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was only there on a temporary basis, as I enjoyed working there, as part of a very well established team. The job made me feel as though I was doing something worthwhile.
Pros
Good hours, flexibility.
Cons
Travel time
great team
I currently work as a chef (Current Employee) –  dsu26 January 2015
shame I was only threw a recruitment agency would have loved to work there fulltime
Great team and good wage
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham19 June 2014
Loved working here as a casual team member in catering. I got to choose my hours, if I wanted any over time etc. Good variety of places to work across catering (cafes/ student canteen/ library, student union)
Lovely people to work with. Only bad thing I can say is some of the staff are students and may be a little lazy or unreliable, making your job harder. Also some contracts are term time only meaning less hours in some months.
Pros
working hours and staff
Cons
term time contract, no discounts
Engaging environment
College staff (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, ENG12 June 2014
A varied job whereby no day is the same.
Most enjoyable is being able to do a variety of tasks and use iniative.
Pros
excellent staff
PhD candidate
Tutor in Philosophy (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG3 February 2014
wrote a thesis on 'Photography and the Role of the Artist'. Worked as a seminar leader tutoring undergraduates and ran art exhibitions within the university.

4.2