Durham University Employee Reviews

Organised and a welcoming environment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Durham18 November 2016
I loved working at St Chads that staff were easy to get on with the management was fantastic I love working formals and seeing all the students and I gain valuable people skills and I typically on a day to day basis would clear and re set the hall, prepare the food for the evening meal and the serve and clear. The hardest part was being on my feet constantly but I soon got used to it.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
World class research but bad departmental culture
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Durham, UK14 February 2017
As a postdoctoral researcher in a science department, I have found the research in Durham to be world class, but the working environment within the department is not good. The management of junior staff is almost non-existent and the leadership is dysfunctional.
Pros
Flexible work hours, good computational resources
Cons
Bad leadership
Excellent Student Job
Student Caller (Former Employee) –  Durham2 August 2016
I found out about "student caller" through my college mentor. This job is set up for Durham University students to gain work experience and earn actual salary.
A typical day (evening) at work involve making calls to alumni to update profiles, informing and inviting them to events in Durham. Finally, asking them for their support for the worthy causes.
It is mainly managed by students. It is flexible. The work atmosphere is friendly and supportive.
The hardest part of the job is to ask someone for monetary donations.
The most enjoyable part of the job is to be able to converse with alumni who are successful in life and work of whom are a few years ago in the same position as you are.
Pros
Typically set up for students
Cons
Low Pay
ok place to work.
Porter (Former Employee) –  Durham, Durham15 January 2017
varied work from day to day, made it interesting,
enjoyed meeting some interesting people.
management were ok.
learned a lot about maintenance.
Cons
I would not recommend this University based on my experience
Student (Former Employee) –  Durham12 November 2016
Unfortunately, there is not great academic support and an unfriendly 'culture' among students. Therefore, I would not recommend this University.
Working in a fast paced environment.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Durham27 September 2016
Cleaning and maintaining a clean work place to standard operation procedures.
My co workers were all very helpful and we worked together as a team.
It was a good working experience and something different to what i was used too.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough contracted hours
Enjoyable
Library Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees28 July 2016
I enjoyed my time as a library support assistant at Durham University because thats what I always wanted to do and it was an interesting experience helping students and at the same time being strict with them regarding university library policies.
Day at work
Volunteer History researcher (Current Employee) –  Palace Green Library12 August 2016
I access websites and library material to research the life of Durham University Alumni who have served in the 1st World War
Pros
interesting
Durham University
Undergraduate Student Admission (Former Employee) –  Palatine Centre3 March 2015
My typical day included, checking the figures, and making sure they were up to date from the previous day. Other duties were checking email queries from other departments, checking external application enquiries and processing applications for students based on offers and rejections.

I learned how to organise my day better, about university life and culture, and the process of registration through UCAS.

The management offered a relaxed and flexible management style, I was able to manage my own workload, and they trusted me with my tasks.

The other people in the department made me feel part of the team, welcomed me as part of the team, and were very helpful in showing me what to do.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was only there on a temporary basis, as I enjoyed working there, as part of a very well established team. The job made me feel as though I was doing something worthwhile.
Pros
Good hours, flexibility.
Cons
Travel time
working as a Food Service Assistant
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG4 July 2013
working different shifts, I learned portion control and how to use a industrial dishwasher. Unfortunately the management did nothing to stop bullying from one of the supervisors so when they were on duty it was very hard to do your job without criticism. The rest of the team and other supervisor were great to work with. Home time was the best time of the job.
Pros
free meals
Cons
not able to balance home and work life due to different shifts
engaging workplace
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees4 February 2016
Variety of tasks
Friendly staff
Excellent catering
Career advancement through training opportunities
Engaging with other departments
Self-esteem growing environment with international culture background
Master´s student (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG23 June 2015
What I enjoy most was working with other members of the team and interacting with the academia and scientific members.
The hardest part of research, as I have experienced it, is the high level of responsability and project management duties.
I learned a lot from the neurosciences, analytical tools, scientific documentation/communicating and other cultural backgrounds.
Typical day at work was previously organized with my supervisory board (2 academia members) and well adjusted to the time frame.
I learned to communicte effectively and always prompted to get feedback.
Pros
Feedback
Durham University
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, UK9 May 2016
Good environment to work in. Nice town with nice people. The staff always treats you with the utmost respect and kindness.
Engaging and Accomodating workplace
Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  Durham11 February 2016
As it is with all fundraising, there are very good days and other days but overall it has provided an opportunity for me to learn to be patient, to better manage conversations and improve my persuasion skills.
Supervisors and more experienced colleagues are always on-hand to guide and show me what to do and how best to get the job done.
Good place to work. Bad management.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Cuthberts College, Durham15 January 2014
The job was enjoyable basically working on the servery and cleaning aroung the dining area and using the industrial dishwasher. The supervisors were nice and some colleagues were great, although one or two were rather unpleasant. Decent pay at the time (you get more now) Although the manager wasnt nice to me at all, think maybe due to the fact that I was 17 and thought she could get away with it, constantky blamed for stuff i didnt do too. Although I enjoyed working at the castle, although got blamed for dirty equipment when I just walked through the door! Decent job though.
Pros
Free lunches. Free uniform. Hours.
Cons
Management. Favouritism.
interesting place, but the administrative structures were difficult to work within...
KTP Associate in Parallel Engineering Simulation (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG24 October 2013
My job involved helping another company to implement a parallel version of their software. This included: providing detailed reports on performance at regular intervals; designing, implementing and testing a parallel solution; ensuring staff were properly trained on how to maintain and develop the solution; administrating the project time and budget; and providing regular feedback to an oversight committee consisting of people from various subject areas.
Management within the company were friendly and easy to work with, as was immediate management within the university. However, Durham university administration often caused problems and a huge amount of frustration... Having to interact with the bureaucratic nightmare was often the most difficult part of the job, at times overshadowing the joys of helping a company to reach their utmost potential.
Pros
training budget, travel
Cons
poor administration
International Experience
Team Durham Employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, UK25 August 2015
Beneficial and enjoyable work place, while obtaining a masters. You are put in as part of the staff while still being a student, and given a position of management as you work on academics as well.
management are pompous
porter (Former Employee) –  college8 May 2013
Generally would be a good place to work had it not been for the terrible management, its jobs for friends that get to be managers, then they generally are clueless and rely on the 'plebs' to make them look good. Pompous prats the majority of management. If you don't mind those kind of people looking down their nose at you then the job would be ok for you.
Pros
Decent money, easy work
Cons
Management are clueless, staff not valued
Productive work place
Umpire (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENG19 August 2015
It was only a single event that I've participated in and was a productive work place on that event. everyone had a positive work attitude towards the event.
Pros
Experience
Cons
long hours voluntary
Productive, demanding and rewarding work place
Field Researcher/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Mthatha, EC16 April 2015
Everyday we (field researcher, 10 individuals) had to go a particular location and try to recruit people of different ages to take part in the long questionnaire, irrespective of the weather conditions since we were working on a deadline and we need to have a particular number of people by the end of the few days. We visited four different locations in total. We were well taken care of and provided for, including a place to sleep and money for breakfast, lunch and super. I really enjoyed being part of that experience. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday that obviously had different personalities due to living in different locations. I learned that people cannot live without cell phones and even an 8 year old sometimes has a cell phone these days and the young age group love social networks.
Pros
Funds for breakfast, lunch and super. Pays well
Cons
Having to go to a dagerous township