Durham University Employee Reviews

Admissions Officer (Current Employee), Stockton-on-TeesFebruary 4, 2016
Variety of tasks
Friendly staff
Excellent catering
Career advancement through training opportunities
Engaging with other departments
Excellent University
PhD student (Current Employee), Durham, ENGSeptember 29, 2015
Pros: quality of research
Cons: small city
Stimulating work place
High standard of research
People very friendly and always happy to interact and give suggestion
International Experience
Team Durham Employee (Former Employee), Durham, UKAugust 25, 2015
Beneficial and enjoyable work place, while obtaining a masters. You are put in as part of the staff while still being a student, and given a position of management as you work on academics as well.
Productive work place
Umpire (Former Employee), Durham, ENGAugust 19, 2015
Pros: Experience
Cons: long hours voluntary
It was only a single event that I've participated in and was a productive work place on that event. everyone had a positive work attitude towards the event.
A lonely job in spite of support.
Fundraise (Former Employee), Durham, ENGAugust 15, 2015
Pros: Good support and pay
Cons: The work is difficult and not very rewarding.
I worked with a team of other students on fundraising; asking previous students for financial support for the university. This work requires considerable courage and confidence, so was a useful experience.
Self-esteem growing environment with international culture background
Master´s student (Former Employee), Durham, ENGJune 23, 2015
Pros: Feedback
What I enjoy most was working with other members of the team and interacting with the academia and scientific members.
The hardest part of research, as I have experienced it, is the high level of responsability and project management duties.
I learned a lot from the neurosciences, analytical tools, scientific documentation/communicating and other cultural backgrounds.
Typical day at work was previously organized with my supervisory board (2 academia members) and well adjusted to the time frame.
I learned to communicte effectively and always prompted to get feedback.
Assisstant (Former Employee), Durham, ENGMay 21, 2015
My work experience only lasted one week however, it was a lovely working environment. The tasks were different every day, I learned how to handle items with care and consistency.
Productive, demanding and rewarding work place
Field Researcher/Data Collector (Former Employee), Mthatha, ECApril 16, 2015
Pros: Funds for breakfast, lunch and super. Pays well
Cons: Having to go to a dagerous township
Everyday we (field researcher, 10 individuals) had to go a particular location and try to recruit people of different ages to take part in the long questionnaire, irrespective of the weather conditions since we were working on a deadline and we need to have a particular number of people by the end of the few days. We visited four different locations in total. We were well taken care of and provided for, including a place to sleep and money for breakfast, lunch and super. I really enjoyed being part of that experience. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday that obviously had different personalities due to living in different locations. I learned that people cannot live without cell phones and even an 8 year old sometimes has a cell phone these days and the young age group love social networks.
Durham University
Undergraduate Student Admission (Former Employee), Palatine CentreMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good hours, flexibility.
Cons: travel time
My typical day included, checking the figures, and making sure they were up to date from the previous day. Other duties were checking email queries from other departments, checking external application enquiries and processing applications for students based on offers and rejections.

I learned how to organise my day better, about university life and culture, and the process of registration through UCAS.

The management offered a relaxed and flexible management style, I was able to manage my own workload, and they trusted me with my tasks.

The other people in the department made me feel part of the team, welcomed me as part of the team, and were very helpful in showing me what to do.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was only there on a temporary basis, as I enjoyed working there, as part of a very well established team. The job made me feel as though I was doing something worthwhile.
great team
I currently work as a chef (Current Employee), dsuJanuary 26, 2015
shame I was only threw a recruitment agency would have loved to work there fulltime
Great team and good wage
Catering Assistant (Former Employee), DurhamJune 19, 2014
Pros: working hours and staff
Cons: term time contract, no discounts
Loved working here as a casual team member in catering. I got to choose my hours, if I wanted any over time etc. Good variety of places to work across catering (cafes/ student canteen/ library, student union)
Lovely people to work with. Only bad thing I can say is some of the staff are students and may be a little lazy or unreliable, making your job harder. Also some contracts are term time only meaning less hours in some months.
Engaging environment
College staff (Current Employee), Stockton-on-Tees, ENGJune 12, 2014
Pros: excellent staff
A varied job whereby no day is the same.
Most enjoyable is being able to do a variety of tasks and use iniative.
PhD candidate
Tutor in Philosophy (Former Employee), Durham, ENGFebruary 3, 2014
wrote a thesis on 'Photography and the Role of the Artist'. Worked as a seminar leader tutoring undergraduates and ran art exhibitions within the university.
Good place to work. Bad management.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), St Cuthberts College, DurhamJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches. free uniform. hours.
Cons: management. favouritism.
The job was enjoyable basically working on the servery and cleaning aroung the dining area and using the industrial dishwasher. The supervisors were nice and some colleagues were great, although one or two were rather unpleasant. Decent pay at the time (you get more now) Although the manager wasnt nice to me at all, think maybe due to the fact that I was 17 and thought she could get away with it, constantky blamed for stuff i didnt do too. Although I enjoyed working at the castle, although got blamed for dirty equipment when I just walked through the door! Decent job though.
Environment which encourages excellence.
Research Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics (Current Employee), Durham, ENGNovember 30, 2013
Durham University, as a member of the Russell group, is a centre for world class research. I have greatly enjoyed my time there and have gained much from the experience.
interesting place, but the administrative structures were difficult to work within...
KTP Associate in Parallel Engineering Simulation (Former Employee), Durham, ENGOctober 24, 2013
Pros: training budget, travel
Cons: poor administration
My job involved helping another company to implement a parallel version of their software. This included: providing detailed reports on performance at regular intervals; designing, implementing and testing a parallel solution; ensuring staff were properly trained on how to maintain and develop the solution; administrating the project time and budget; and providing regular feedback to an oversight committee consisting of people from various subject areas.
Management within the company were friendly and easy to work with, as was immediate management within the university. However, Durham university administration often caused problems and a huge amount of frustration... Having to interact with the bureaucratic nightmare was often the most difficult part of the job, at times overshadowing the joys of helping a company to reach their utmost potential.
Fun Workplace
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee), County DurhamOctober 18, 2013
I enjoy working for the university and to be part of a much appreciate team at the botanic gardens, you can get different range of customers and they like to come in and tell you different things, you can learn lots and different things up there really enjoy working there.
working as a Food Service Assistant
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Durham, ENGJuly 4, 2013
Pros: free meals
Cons: not able to balance home and work life due to different shifts
working different shifts, I learned portion control and how to use a industrial dishwasher. Unfortunately the management did nothing to stop bullying from one of the supervisors so when they were on duty it was very hard to do your job without criticism. The rest of the team and other supervisor were great to work with. Home time was the best time of the job.
Relaxed Work place
Cleaner (Former Employee), St. Mary's CollegeMay 13, 2013
Very Friendly place to work, learned how to clean properly. worked as part of a productive team.
management are pompous
porter (Former Employee), collegeMay 8, 2013
Pros: decent money, easy work
Cons: management are clueless, staff not valued
Generally would be a good place to work had it not been for the terrible management, its jobs for friends that get to be managers, then they generally are clueless and rely on the 'plebs' to make them look good. Pompous prats the majority of management. If you don't mind those kind of people looking down their nose at you then the job would be ok for you.