Durham University Employee Reviews

Working in a fast paced environment.
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  DurhamSeptember 27, 2016
Cleaning and maintaining a clean work place to standard operation procedures.
My co workers were all very helpful and we worked together as a team.
It was a good working experience and something different to what i was used too.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough contracted hours
Enjoyable
Library Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesJuly 28, 2016
I enjoyed my time as a library support assistant at Durham University because thats what I always wanted to do and it was an interesting experience helping students and at the same time being strict with them regarding university library policies.
Engaging and Accomodating workplace
Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee) –  DurhamFebruary 11, 2016
As it is with all fundraising, there are very good days and other days but overall it has provided an opportunity for me to learn to be patient, to better manage conversations and improve my persuasion skills.
Supervisors and more experienced colleagues are always on-hand to guide and show me what to do and how best to get the job done.
Day at work
Volunteer History researcher (Current Employee) –  Palace Green LibraryAugust 12, 2016
I access websites and library material to research the life of Durham University Alumni who have served in the 1st World War
Pros
interesting
Durham University
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, UKMay 9, 2016
Good environment to work in. Nice town with nice people. The staff always treats you with the utmost respect and kindness.
engaging workplace
Admissions Officer (Current Employee) –  Stockton-on-TeesFebruary 4, 2016
Variety of tasks
Friendly staff
Excellent catering
Career advancement through training opportunities
Engaging with other departments
Self-esteem growing environment with international culture background
Master´s student (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENGJune 23, 2015
What I enjoy most was working with other members of the team and interacting with the academia and scientific members.
The hardest part of research, as I have experienced it, is the high level of responsability and project management duties.
I learned a lot from the neurosciences, analytical tools, scientific documentation/communicating and other cultural backgrounds.
Typical day at work was previously organized with my supervisory board (2 academia members) and well adjusted to the time frame.
I learned to communicte effectively and always prompted to get feedback.
Pros
Feedback
A lonely job in spite of support.
Fundraise (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENGAugust 15, 2015
I worked with a team of other students on fundraising; asking previous students for financial support for the university. This work requires considerable courage and confidence, so was a useful experience.
Pros
Good support and pay
Cons
The work is difficult and not very rewarding.
International Experience
Team Durham Employee (Former Employee) –  Durham, UKAugust 25, 2015
Beneficial and enjoyable work place, while obtaining a masters. You are put in as part of the staff while still being a student, and given a position of management as you work on academics as well.
Excellent University
PhD student (Current Employee) –  Durham, ENGSeptember 29, 2015
Stimulating work place
High standard of research
People very friendly and always happy to interact and give suggestion
Pros
quality of research
Cons
small city
Productive work place
Umpire (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENGAugust 19, 2015
It was only a single event that I've participated in and was a productive work place on that event. everyone had a positive work attitude towards the event.
Pros
Experience
Cons
long hours voluntary
Productive, demanding and rewarding work place
Field Researcher/Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Mthatha, ECApril 16, 2015
Everyday we (field researcher, 10 individuals) had to go a particular location and try to recruit people of different ages to take part in the long questionnaire, irrespective of the weather conditions since we were working on a deadline and we need to have a particular number of people by the end of the few days. We visited four different locations in total. We were well taken care of and provided for, including a place to sleep and money for breakfast, lunch and super. I really enjoyed being part of that experience. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday that obviously had different personalities due to living in different locations. I learned that people cannot live without cell phones and even an 8 year old sometimes has a cell phone these days and the young age group love social networks.
Pros
Funds for breakfast, lunch and super. Pays well
Cons
Having to go to a dagerous township
Great team and good wage
Catering Assistant (Former Employee) –  DurhamJune 19, 2014
Loved working here as a casual team member in catering. I got to choose my hours, if I wanted any over time etc. Good variety of places to work across catering (cafes/ student canteen/ library, student union)
Lovely people to work with. Only bad thing I can say is some of the staff are students and may be a little lazy or unreliable, making your job harder. Also some contracts are term time only meaning less hours in some months.
Pros
working hours and staff
Cons
term time contract, no discounts
Good place to work. Bad management.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Cuthberts College, DurhamJanuary 15, 2014
The job was enjoyable basically working on the servery and cleaning aroung the dining area and using the industrial dishwasher. The supervisors were nice and some colleagues were great, although one or two were rather unpleasant. Decent pay at the time (you get more now) Although the manager wasnt nice to me at all, think maybe due to the fact that I was 17 and thought she could get away with it, constantky blamed for stuff i didnt do too. Although I enjoyed working at the castle, although got blamed for dirty equipment when I just walked through the door! Decent job though.
Pros
free lunches. free uniform. hours.
Cons
management. favouritism.
working as a Food Service Assistant
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENGJuly 4, 2013
working different shifts, I learned portion control and how to use a industrial dishwasher. Unfortunately the management did nothing to stop bullying from one of the supervisors so when they were on duty it was very hard to do your job without criticism. The rest of the team and other supervisor were great to work with. Home time was the best time of the job.
Pros
free meals
Cons
not able to balance home and work life due to different shifts
Durham University
Undergraduate Student Admission (Former Employee) –  Palatine CentreMarch 3, 2015
My typical day included, checking the figures, and making sure they were up to date from the previous day. Other duties were checking email queries from other departments, checking external application enquiries and processing applications for students based on offers and rejections.

I learned how to organise my day better, about university life and culture, and the process of registration through UCAS.

The management offered a relaxed and flexible management style, I was able to manage my own workload, and they trusted me with my tasks.

The other people in the department made me feel part of the team, welcomed me as part of the team, and were very helpful in showing me what to do.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was only there on a temporary basis, as I enjoyed working there, as part of a very well established team. The job made me feel as though I was doing something worthwhile.
Pros
good hours, flexibility.
Cons
travel time
management are pompous
porter (Former Employee) –  collegeMay 8, 2013
Generally would be a good place to work had it not been for the terrible management, its jobs for friends that get to be managers, then they generally are clueless and rely on the 'plebs' to make them look good. Pompous prats the majority of management. If you don't mind those kind of people looking down their nose at you then the job would be ok for you.
Pros
decent money, easy work
Cons
management are clueless, staff not valued
Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Durham, ENGMay 21, 2015
My work experience only lasted one week however, it was a lovely working environment. The tasks were different every day, I learned how to handle items with care and consistency.
Stimulating environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  DurhamJune 20, 2012
Investigating eye movements in a gaze-contingent display on hemianopic dyslexics to study whether they benefit from the information presented in their blind field.
I learned how to use MATLAB and the eye tracker.
Pros
flexibility, interesting topic
Cons
salary, long term perspectives
Friendly and welcoming colleagues; challenging but rewarding work
Managing Editor (Former Employee) –  DurhamJanuary 15, 2013
Although I was only there a short time, I was welcomed as part of the department.

Overall, I consider the Development and Alumni Relations Department to be an intelligent, stimulating and supportive environment in which to work.

4.2