Durham University

Durham University Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive, demanding and rewarding work place
Field Researcher/Data Collector (Former Employee), Mthatha, ECApril 16, 2015
Pros: Funds for breakfast, lunch and super. Pays well
Cons: Having to go to a dagerous township
Everyday we (field researcher, 10 individuals) had to go a particular location and try to recruit people of different ages to take part in the long questionnaire, irrespective of the weather conditions since we were working on a deadline and we need to have a particular number of people by the end of the few days. We visited four different locations in total. We were well taken care of and provided for, including a place to sleep and money for breakfast, lunch and super. I really enjoyed being part of that experience. The most enjoyable part is meeting new people everyday that obviously had different personalities due to living in different locations. I learned that people cannot live without cell phones and even an 8 year old sometimes has a cell phone these days and the young age group love social networks.
Durham University
Undergraduate Student Admission (Former Employee), Palatine CentreMarch 3, 2015
Pros: good hours, flexibility.
Cons: travel time
My typical day included, checking the figures, and making sure they were up to date from the previous day. Other duties were checking email queries from other departments, checking external application enquiries and processing applications for students based on offers and rejections.

I learned how to organise my day better, about university life and culture, and the process of registration through UCAS.

The management offered a relaxed and flexible management style, I was able to manage my own workload, and they trusted me with my tasks.

The other people in the department made me feel part of the team, welcomed me as part of the team, and were very helpful in showing me what to do.

The hardest part of the job was knowing I was only there on a temporary basis, as I enjoyed working there, as part of a very well established team. The job made me feel as though I was doing something worthwhile.
great team
I currently work as a chef (Current Employee), dsuJanuary 26, 2015
shame I was only threw a recruitment agency would have loved to work there fulltime
Great team and good wage
Catering Assistant (Former Employee), DurhamJune 19, 2014
Pros: working hours and staff
Cons: term time contract, no discounts
Loved working here as a casual team member in catering. I got to choose my hours, if I wanted any over time etc. Good variety of places to work across catering (cafes/ student canteen/ library, student union)
Lovely people to work with. Only bad thing I can say is some of the staff are students and may be a little lazy or unreliable, making your job harder. Also some contracts are term time only meaning less hours in some months.
Engaging environment
College staff (Current Employee), Stockton-on-Tees, ENGJune 12, 2014
Pros: excellent staff
A varied job whereby no day is the same.
Most enjoyable is being able to do a variety of tasks and use iniative.
PhD candidate
Tutor in Philosophy (Former Employee), Durham, ENGFebruary 3, 2014
wrote a thesis on 'Photography and the Role of the Artist'. Worked as a seminar leader tutoring undergraduates and ran art exhibitions within the university.
Good place to work. Bad management.
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), St Cuthberts College, DurhamJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: free lunches. free uniform. hours.
Cons: management. favouritism.
The job was enjoyable basically working on the servery and cleaning aroung the dining area and using the industrial dishwasher. The supervisors were nice and some colleagues were great, although one or two were rather unpleasant. Decent pay at the time (you get more now) Although the manager wasnt nice to me at all, think maybe due to the fact that I was 17 and thought she could get away with it, constantky blamed for stuff i didnt do too. Although I enjoyed working at the castle, although got blamed for dirty equipment when I just walked through the door! Decent job though.
Environment which encourages excellence.
Research Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics (Current Employee), Durham, ENGNovember 30, 2013
Durham University, as a member of the Russell group, is a centre for world class research. I have greatly enjoyed my time there and have gained much from the experience.
interesting place, but the administrative structures were difficult to work within...
KTP Associate in Parallel Engineering Simulation (Former Employee), Durham, ENGOctober 24, 2013
Pros: training budget, travel
Cons: poor administration
My job involved helping another company to implement a parallel version of their software. This included: providing detailed reports on performance at regular intervals; designing, implementing and testing a parallel solution; ensuring staff were properly trained on how to maintain and develop the solution; administrating the project time and budget; and providing regular feedback to an oversight committee consisting of people from various subject areas.
Management within the company were friendly and easy to work with, as was immediate management within the university. However, Durham university administration often caused problems and a huge amount of frustration... Having to interact with the bureaucratic nightmare was often the most difficult part of the job, at times overshadowing the joys of helping a company to reach their utmost potential.
Fun Workplace
Cafe Assistant (Current Employee), County DurhamOctober 18, 2013
I enjoy working for the university and to be part of a much appreciate team at the botanic gardens, you can get different range of customers and they like to come in and tell you different things, you can learn lots and different things up there really enjoy working there.
working as a Food Service Assistant
Food Service Assistant (Former Employee), Durham, ENGJuly 4, 2013
Pros: free meals
Cons: not able to balance home and work life due to different shifts
working different shifts, I learned portion control and how to use a industrial dishwasher. Unfortunately the management did nothing to stop bullying from one of the supervisors so when they were on duty it was very hard to do your job without criticism. The rest of the team and other supervisor were great to work with. Home time was the best time of the job.
Relaxed Work place
Cleaner (Former Employee), St. Mary's CollegeMay 13, 2013
Very Friendly place to work, learned how to clean properly. worked as part of a productive team.
management are pompous
porter (Former Employee), collegeMay 8, 2013
Pros: decent money, easy work
Cons: management are clueless, staff not valued
Generally would be a good place to work had it not been for the terrible management, its jobs for friends that get to be managers, then they generally are clueless and rely on the 'plebs' to make them look good. Pompous prats the majority of management. If you don't mind those kind of people looking down their nose at you then the job would be ok for you.
Friendly and welcoming colleagues; challenging but rewarding work
Managing Editor (Former Employee), DurhamJanuary 15, 2013
Although I was only there a short time, I was welcomed as part of the department.

Overall, I consider the Development and Alumni Relations Department to be an intelligent, stimulating and supportive environment in which to work.
very good company to work for
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Catering (Retail)September 12, 2012
Pros: free tea and coffe and discounts from a lot of shops etc
Cons: long hours
I manager 6 cafes and the staff therein so no two days are the same
Stimulating environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee), DurhamJune 20, 2012
Pros: flexibility, interesting topic
Cons: salary, long term perspectives
Investigating eye movements in a gaze-contingent display on hemianopic dyslexics to study whether they benefit from the information presented in their blind field.
I learned how to use MATLAB and the eye tracker.

About Durham University

About Durham University: Durham University is a world top-100 university with a global reputation and performance in research – Read more