Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Ummmm...
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJanuary 20, 2016
I love driving but this job isn't for me ! This job is only if you have kids and aren't able to take your kids to school. They get you by saying they starting pay is $13.05/hr; which is good until you actually start working. You do not get over 30hrs, 27.5 at the most. So you might as well go work at Wal-Mart making $9.00 it end up being the same if you ask me. The managers have their picks at the job, you will only see a check if you get field trips, but working here if your not all in the manager face sucking up you will NOT see an field trip your whole time working. I don't like the Christmas or summer breaks you can file for unemployment(which isn't much or like me find an second job), no one wants to work 2 jobs just to keep up on bills. The list goes on !
Pros
get raises every year, only good if you have kids
Cons
winter & summer breaks, management, unemployemtn
Don't waste your time.
school bus driver (Current Employee) –  Grayslake, ILNovember 14, 2015
They get you in the door as quickly as they can even though the things like sign on bonuses and CDL reimbursement won't happen unless you fight for it. You will be rushed through training by people that don't have the necessary experience and the whole office is run more like a high school locker room and not a professional company.
Routes and charters are supposed to be given based on seniority or who signed up for them first but instead they are done by favoritism. I advise keeping track of your pay because they will constantly try to short you money and you will have to fight to get it.
Unless you're looking to get the training and experience and then move on to a district I advise you stay far away from this company.
Pros
Driving a bus, meeting new children and parents, bring your child on most routes
Cons
Horrible health insurance, 401K is not FDIC insured, buses are damaged and always breaking down, no parking for your car when you come in and for your bus when you finish your route
great kitchen to cook breakfast and lunch
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 18, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children and public, I learned to be patient , typical day joyful and challenging . Co-workers some were friendly and liked their jobs and some were stressed out due to management.
Pros
benefits and working with children and public
Cons
poor management
A laid back job or you could make a career out of it
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXOctober 22, 2015
It was an alright place to work. Had an opportunity to get extra hours during field trips season. There was also favoritism and a lot of nagging and bickering from coworkers. The pay was decent starting out if you got the hours along with it.
Pros
met some cool people, in between time, field trips
Cons
benefits could have been better, favoritism, bad attitudes
convenience
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 14, 2015
The only thing i like about Durham is my down time i know how to work around my schedule. the compensation is horrible though.
Pros
schedule
Cons
paycheck no hours
fun and exciting place to work also.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 17, 2015
transport lots of children to and from school safely and on time, you get to know lots of kids set good examples,and teach also good job just not stable,
Pros
no free lunches 30min lunch breaks
Cons
good benifits
It takes alot of your mental energy, but it builds your social skills, and helps you bond with children, and understand them more
bus attendant (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 2, 2015
A typical day at work considers clocking in, then going on the bus, and monitoring kids, and keeping the bus calm, as well as prevent any possible fights, and heated argument. Then I check the bus when all the students get off, to make sure there are no students left. After that, I clock in at around 9:20 AM and go back in before 2:10 PM., then the process is recycled. Management treat their bus drivers very unfair, they do not do a very good job at protecting their drivers when the children are far out of control. My coworkers are very friendly, and generous, and always smile and says good morning. The hardest thing about my job is having mental patient to deal with children, and maintain in control. The most enjoyable part is talking to the kids and getting to know them, and observing the different personalities on the bus.
Pros
helps build social skills, routine is pretty easy, communicative
Cons
not enough hours, poor to their workers
Awesome hours
driver (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CAJanuary 20, 2016
Drivers job are only to make sure all hazards are safe and student arrive to school and to their homes safe. Management are mostly outsiders so they do not understand what drivers go through with their clients and school when needed assistant. Not so much social networking at work because people just arrive and go home as soon as possible once their shifts are over. The kids are special and are also funny depending on their condition.
productive and fun to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CAJune 17, 2015
its very simple type job if your follow company rules. management is very organized something that I praise. Co-workers are respectful and nice. Overall I enjoy it.
Pros
We get appreciated for our good work
Cons
Work on providing better benefits for us
Great company to work for
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 22, 2016
A typical day at work getting a person to schools to learn is very important to me,Durham management is great,Working with different co-worker is great because are a team.The hardest part under the hood of my bus learning is hard some times.The most enjoyable of the job is my passager being safe at all times.
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Great Place to work
Maintenance Manager (Current Employee) –  Tacoma, WAOctober 16, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a big company. The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them. The office started to get crowded as the company grew and it was more difficult to get to know the new people. There was a lot of variety in what I did each day, ranging from the monotonous tasks to new projects that were challenging and exciting.
Pros
Great place to Work
Cons
Un-reachable
Public School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAMarch 9, 2016
Assigned to a regular student route; District 81, Route 157, Spokane, WA for three loads in morning and three loads in afternoon Monday thru Friday, with late take home from a “Grade” School four days per week.
Was put on “permanent” Admin leave for “Yelling” at middle school students,my points were valid but my delivery was considered “excessive
Pros
Same as previous
Cons
Same as previous
over worked and no support from management
Driver (Former Employee) –  Raymond, MSJune 13, 2016
Nothing good to say about company. No they don't take care of driver or the monitors. We can't even get water. Have you riding in them broken bus with no heat or air. Go the other way
Pros
get a classB Lisence that you pay for
Cons
no benefits
being a special person to be a school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Charleston South CarlionaJanuary 31, 2016
I enjoyed working with Durham school services, I've been with them for eight years. I've watch many of my student become young adult finishing college getting excellent jobs, I feel that I was a part of that. i learned how to become a team player cause at the end of the day the student just need to get to school or home.The hardest part of the jobs are not having safe buses to drive, a lot of the buses are well of twenty years old.
Great company to work for they take good care of all employees
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXApril 15, 2016
This company is a great company to work for and they care about all the employees safety and health. They have a great safety program that helps you stay focused and safe on the road.
Pros
Free lunches and trips
Cons
Health benefits and safety bonuses.
Decent place to work not much money or advancement.
Diesel Technician/Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Mount Vernon, ILJune 28, 2016
Was very decent place to work but location in southern Illinois not much money or advancement. Other locations in other states better pay.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Pay and advancement
Jacksonville Florida
Doreen sams (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaMay 15, 2016
Very abusive with the employees,mistreat,unnecessary stress,towns of discrimination,worst management ever I work for,i do have a lawyer reviewing my case
Pros
Very abusive management
Cons
Very abusive management
Great co- workers keep the day fun with cards, & dominoes.
lead driver (Current Employee) –  Carson, CAJuly 3, 2012
This company use to be a great place to work. A few years ago it was sold and it was down hill from there. I learned that not all owners truly care about the people whom they employ so, I have to continue to work hard even if it is not recognized. The management team was not a good communicating group, which made it very hard for co-workers and myself to be at our best for our customers. It was really a drag having to arrive late at pickups constantly because of a lack of buses to drive, and poor operations planning. I really enjoyed the fact that my co-workers and I were able to pull together and continue to make our customers happy at the end of the day.
Pros
occasional snacks at monthly meetings.
Cons
healthcare, raises, vehicle reliability, & communication.
Good Company to work for!
Transportation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMay 28, 2016
Loved seeing the children face everyday
I liked the fact the company was never short staff
I was always excited to see the children face everyday and their parents
Friendly
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 7, 2016
Management works well to ensure all employees are well prepared for the day....lots of help from other co workers, they are the best part of the job. Love the students.
Pros
Students and co workers
Cons
Other drivers

2.8