Durham School Services

Durham School Services Employee Reviews

split shift for drivers, chances for advancement
Safety and Training Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, NJ27 March 2017
I worked for DSS for a total of 10 years, the first 4 as a drivers the remaining years as a safety training supervisor and Operations Manager. They had excellent training opportunity for advancement, and I was promoted to supervisor and was respected enough to be sent on assignments to other parts of the county to fix/audit their safety programs
Pros
pay well for management
Cons
drivers, only wellness care available
Good for retired people
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Canton, MI25 March 2017
Good company to work for, good people, good for people looking part tims job.Nice buses,good mantenece of buses.`Nice training proagrame, working with all ages,first in morning start high school, than middle school , than elementry ,
I had fun working with Durham getting to meek different kids
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Davenport, IA21 March 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Durham you have some good kids you have some bad kids now me I get alone with all the kids my job was to make sure they stayed sitting down and make sure everyone make it home safe
Pros
Free pizza party's
Cons
Some miss behaved kids
This company definitely has its good and bad points
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint Helens, OR20 March 2017
This job kept me busy, there was always many things to do. I do credit this company with teaching many of the different skills and enhancing the skills I came to the job with.
Pros
got along with coworkers very well
Cons
management style not always the best.
Love the work place
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WI15 March 2017
Working here is the best. You get weekends off and and work with kids, get to meet new people all the time , come up with projects , to teach the kids
Pros
Paid weekly
Cons
Having to leave
Bus aide
Bus Aide (Former Employee) –  Hixson, TN15 March 2017
It was awesome days caring for people whoban't always themselves and them always smiling to brighten up your day.i learned there are so many different kinds of people in our world I also experienced and rude and dispectfull they can be to our disabled people.i enjoyed talking to them and making them smile.
Pros
Na
Cons
Na
Great People to work with
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI14 March 2017
Great environment to work in and I loved working with the children.
The work schedule was awesome and it was never a boring moment on any given day...
Be careful
Class B Driver (Former Employee) –  Justin, TX12 March 2017
Durham will train you well to get CDL, your lean all Saftey procedures and DOT Saftey requirements. Once you get your CDL you'll be expected to overlook all Saftey requirements you learned. Most buses aren't safe to drive or in very poor condition. I would think twice before allowing young children to ride
Pros
Good pay and training
Cons
Unsafe vehicles
Don't expect much working here
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Ames, IA11 March 2017
Mostly good equipment at this facility and an excellent mechanic.
Office staff will look you right in the eye and lie to you.
Favoritism rules when assigning routes and extra work such as school field trips etc..
A large portion of the workers have excessive and disgusting body odor for some reason.
Pros
You get to interact with the kids
Cons
Split shift sucks....some coworkers stink and have mental issues.
challenging
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA9 March 2017
If you enjoy working with challenging kids, it is really your only reward. The job can be stressful, with no appreciation for the safety of the children your transport during the school year.
Pros
Trained for commercial vehicles
Cons
Can be fired for minor reasons
Good Place to work
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Topeka, KS8 March 2017
Good place for new or young managers to work to gain experience in the logistics field. The biggest struggle is staffing. WIth a national shortage of qualified drivers it is always a struggle to find drivers.
Pros
Work Schedule, Team Environment
Too many bosses
General Manager (Former Employee) –  York, PA8 March 2017
Durham School Services requires top performers. However, they also expect managers to work 60+ hours a week for very little money and no thanks.

If the school becomes unhappy, no matter that you have performed with excellence, you will be sacrificed for upper management.
Pros
Cons
12 hour days for little reward
The Kids
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Keller, TX7 March 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is the students who ride your bus, getting to know them and hear their stories. Your day begins early with a pre-trip inspection of your bus. Then you go to your route to pick up the kids and take them to their campus. In the afternoon you repeat the morning procedures except to go to the campus to take the kids home. Management strength seems weak at times, and only those drivers who get close to management get opportunities to advance, and pick up the better field trips.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Bus maintenance slow or not at all
Excellent
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN6 March 2017
I loved working for Durham. I would do it again. There was always away to get more hours. I worked for them while living in Indianapolis, IN. I had to move back to Michigan in 2012.
Ok job
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Albany, NY25 February 2017
Management needs to work on their professionalism. It's a good company but it needs better organization.I enjoyed working for the company I just wished that they could have dealt with the false allegations that a coworker said I have done.
Pros
Good wages
Cons
Management professionalism
Student Transport Specialist (Current Employee) –  Rochester Hills, MI21 February 2017
I truly enjoy the children and it is an honor and a privilege to transport students to and from school, to transport to field trips.
I work for a terrific staff. and I love my job.
Pros
Cons
no snow days
Great Atmosphere
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TN20 February 2017
Atmosphere is pleasant and easy going. Hours vary by selected routes, most holidays and weekends are off. Great for retired and homemakers or people restricted to certain work restrictions.
Productive and great working environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, TX16 February 2017
Great place to work in! Great people to work with! Good environment, kind people and very helpful. Teamwork is what they do! Always ready to learn and work in what ever is necessary and needs to be done gets done in a timely manner!
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Short breaks
the hardest part of the job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN15 February 2017
the hardest part of the job was people with school age children would have a hard time finding child care. And only 10 month work schedule no work in the summer months.
Bus driving
Driver (Current Employee) –  Taylorville, IL14 February 2017
I have no monitor. I do love the kids I work with and the hours. There is a chance to take trips out on long periods or short ones. You can work weekends. You work a school schedule and claim unemployment on off time.

2.9