Durham School Services

Durham School Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun in the beginning but ended up working from sun up to sun down.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee), Memphis, TNMay 21, 2015
Pros: I got to meet different people within the school system
Cons: Working 12 & 13 hours a day and some Saturdays was very stressful
I was hired on as a Safety Recruiter and then was promoted to Operations Supervisor after being there for 7 months. The job was very challenging but I was able to take it to the next level and out perform some of the people that had been there for years. Having to be at work at between 5 & 5:30 am every morning and work until 6 or 6:30 at night was very tiresome. I was ready to make a change in jobs.
driver
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Holyoke, MAMay 7, 2015
Consistently and safely transporting children for their educational needs
Accurately uphold state rules and legal requirements pertaining to vehicle inspections
Adventurous Workplace
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Chattanooga, TnMay 7, 2015
Pros: Being outside seeing different things, meeting new people
Cons: No air conditioning
I was able to greet my students with a smile and kind voice in the mornings before school. Tell them all to have a great day and looking forward to hearing good news in the afternoons when I returned to pick them up. When I returned pick my students up I listened and give good advise. I gave them something to look forward to the following day. Stay positive with them no matter what happened.
always expect the unexpected
Shop Supervisor (Current Employee), Canandaigua, NYApril 29, 2015
Pros: job security
Cons: i am leaving
This is an excellent place to work. There was never a dull moment. Most of the buses start out on their runs around 530am and finish around 6pm, so i was on call most of the time.
The hardest part of the job was leaving work at work.
I have the greatest co-workers(drivers) they do there job and let me know when anything was going wrong and we could correct before it became an issue.
Being part of management, I assume we were doing a good job, due to the fact of driver retention.90% of our drivers have been here for 5 plus years.
awful place to work
Office Administrator/bus driver (Current Employee), txApril 22, 2015
Pros: the children
Cons: no stability, no opportunity for growth. upper management gives no support
over worked and under paid
no room for advancement
Pay not based on seniority or fairness. Expects unattainable deadlines/work to be done while driving a bus morning and afternoon.
School bus driver (Current Employee), Racine, WIApril 21, 2015
Typical day at work is driving the school bus. The management is good. Co-workers are easy to work with. The hardest part of the job is the traffic and getting the kids to behave on the us. Most enjoyable part of the job is the kids
A family oriented work place
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 21, 2015
Pros: special employee trips
Cons: long hours
My work day started at 6:20-9:30 am. I had to be back at work by 1:30-4:45 and my third shift was from 6:45-7:30. in between those hours my time was my own. I was able to bring my granddaughter to work with me, so there was no need tor babysitters.
We had safety meetings monthly and yearly physicals and refresher training . the hardest part of my job was it took all day to get my hours.
Specialty Safety
First Student (Former Employee), All IndianapolisApril 19, 2015
Pros: Free Training Program
Cons: They train great but need to gain control of employees
In my opinion they have the best safety training team in all Indiana.
Good at holding monthly meetings for improving driving skills.
Awful place to work
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Lake Villa, ILMarch 26, 2015
Pros: Kids
Cons: Too many to count
Poor management, poor pay and zero reward.
They should rename this place "All about me" after the management team.
Always the driver's fault and even the aides.

Do yourself a favor and do not apply
Great place to work.
Director of Learning and Development (Current Employee), Warrenville, ILMarch 23, 2015
Pros: all
I learned a lot there. It was a great environment to build an entire division from the ground up. There were many challenges but there was also lots of support and collaboration. I enjoyed the culture and the people who worked there.
Ok Place
Bus Driver (Former Employee), N Charleston, SCMarch 22, 2015
Pros: Good Pay
Cons: Not a good fulltime job
Good job if you don't have anything to do or if you are retired. But if you plan on making this your fulltime job that is a no.
i'm glad i no longer work there.
School Bus Attendant (Former Employee), Aurora, ILMarch 16, 2015
Pros: 3 hour break
Cons: crowded work area, awful smells from not only the people working there but also the building itself.
the break room was never really clean, the people that worked there are very unprofessional and rude. many times other employees have items go missing from either their bags or tables with no care given by the higher ups.
Easy people and nice folks to work with and for.
Bus Driver (Former Employee), Algonquin, ILMarch 11, 2015
Good company to work for. Very fair with the employees.
Only draw back is the Teamsters Union that takes dues and doesn't live up to expectations it claims to have in protecting it's members.
Productive and great enviroment .
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Waterbury, CTMarch 5, 2015
Pros: being part of a family team
Cons: driving in the snow when the city didn't call off school. (scarey)
Working at Durham on a typical day. First thing you do is check in with the dispatch office. Next is getting to your bus and doing your DOT inspection making sure your bus is safe and ready for the road and the children. Then driving picking up the children at the designated stops and taking them safely to school or to an event.
In the afternoon it would be the same except picking the children up from the routes you are assigned and taking them to the designated stops. After you are done for the day you do a post inspection on the bus to enter in any blown lights or any issues with your bus.
I learned that being part of a team was more like being a part of a huge family. My Co-workers became more family, The hardest part of the job was leaving. the most enjoyable was the children and the extended family.
Fullfilling type work, great group of people
School Bus Monitor / Aide (Current Employee), Memphis, TNMarch 3, 2015
Responsibilities involved with Special Needs students and their achievement is sometimes small but rewarding! Students daily accomplishments keep most of us humble.
Typical School Bus Driver Environment
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSMarch 2, 2015
Pros: class b license paid for, some nice people.
Cons: day is split up, low pay, no advancement
This job is like retail jobs, they are in constant need of drivers. Giving a sign on bonus is the first sign.

People that run the place are pleasant, head dispatcher knows her job and knows people. Keeps the place running.

Operating a school bus is enjoyable, hours/pay are limited.
Poor Management makes awful work enviroment
Driver (Former Employee), Albany New YorkFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: good way to get your cdl
Cons: they need a psychologist to review tape and instruct management.
I tried to be polite when I worked there and was treated with the attitude of a slave, the training when transporting student was given to me by a supervisor, that person could do nothing but yell at students like trailer trash, Management had no standards, to adhere to, if they did they did not adhere to them from supervisor to supervisor. has for the employees i worked with they were great but like i said they acted by example from management, which is no professionalism from most of the trailer trash acting management,
Fast pace with great social atmosphere
Transportation Specialist (Former Employee), Ankeny, IAFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great kids to work with as well as great way to the learn the city
Cons: split shift of two-six hours a day, not consistent hours
My day would start out with the route directions pick up and drop off times. I would then do my Pre-trip inspection before starting and leaving for the day, after I was done with my route for the day I would come back to the bus barn and do my post-trip inspection and finish all paper work for the days trips.
Diversity
Operations Supervisor (Current Employee), Roselle, NJFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: customer relations
Cons: bad weather days
Durham great company to work for. Definetly different cultures to learn from. Keeps you on your feet, and maintains you bussy throught the day. Every day is different and can change from good to bad in seconds . Dealing with schools districs, school Pricipals, teachers, students, parents, Board of Education. etc etc.. like I said keeps you on your feed. Always needs to pre-plan for the worst. specialy if the weather changes. Keep focus and communication is the key to success.
Bus Aide
Bus Aide (Former Employee), Beach Park,IL & Lake Villa, ILFebruary 25, 2015
I ensured that the students got to and from school safely. I was trained on how to handle a variety of situations. I was also trained to be with special needs children.

1 2 3 4 5

About Durham School Services

Wanna go for a ride? National Express has a seat. Specializing in┬ápassenger transportation, the company serves riders in North – Read more

Durham School Services Photos