Durham School Services

Durham School Services Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good part time job
Bus driver (Former Employee), Burleson, TXAugust 12, 2015
Pros: Usually off work when your own children are off school
Cons: Usually not many hours, hard to get a second job around those hours when you could be called for early release, work can be called off for weather issues at a moments notice
Not many hours
Hard to work around the hours they give you.
Dealing with unruly children and not allowed to correct them much and when you do they will side with the customer and leave you on your own.

The most enjoyable part of the job is driving the sweet pre k children and special needs children to their work classes. And also the polite children that are brought up right and are very respectable.

The new policies on safety were making it hard on the driver, they were necessary but sometimes very hard to teach the children safety procedures when you don't have much time other than driving the children home and to school.
great place
SCHOOL BUS DRIVER (Former Employee), Bastrop TexasAugust 11, 2015
Pros: summers off
Cons: need better insurance
Great place to work for single parents, very family oriented and you are ablee to take your kids to work with you. Summers off with pay.
Outstanding Company
Driver/Trainer (Current Employee), Iowa City, IowaAugust 3, 2015
I would not leave this company except we have made a family decision to relocate to MN for my spouse's career advancement
Excellent Company
Driver (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 3, 2015
Pros: opportunity for advancement, professionalism, good pay
Working with Durham School Services has been an absolute pleasure. I've worked with other school bus companies in the past, and neither compare to Durham. Every staff member at my terminal presented themselves as true working professionals. They were very warm and inviting and made sure to perform their job 100%. Many opportunities for extra work was presented to me, even after being on the job for just a few weeks. At other terminals, charters were reserved for drivers who had been employed for a long time.

The opportunity for advancement is very real with Durham. During my time alone, two staff members received promotions and were relocated.
Very poor management
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Irvine, CAJuly 31, 2015
Cons: Management is very poor.
The only enjoyable part of this job is working with the wonderful children, parents and teachers. Unfortunately after the General Manager changed so did the whole atmosphere of an enjoyable work place. The whole management team lack people skills.
Fun Workplace and great people
Bus Driver (Current Employee), Owensville, OHJuly 28, 2015
Pros: Summers Off
Cons: N/A
Great place to work and make new friends. Driving a school bus safely, transporting students to and from school and sporting events.
stressful place
(temp) School Bus Aide (Former Employee), Wallingford, CTJuly 27, 2015
Pros: you get to sit on a bus, oo yeay
Cons: school kids need parental discipline
To many guidelines for a bus aide over transporting kids rather than parents taking personal responsibility. had to leave and decided not to get s endorsement to driver for them.
NICE PLACE TO WORK
BUS DRIVER (Former Employee), Norwalk, CAJuly 21, 2015
Pros: NICE ENVORNMENT
Cons: LOW PAY RATE
A TYPICAL DAY AT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, CLEANNING MY BUS EVERY MORNING THEN DRIVE TO MY FIRST KID TO PICK UP TO TAKE HIM TO SCHOOL, HAD TO PICK UP ABOUT 10 KIDS EVERY DAY, I LEARNED ALOT OF COMMUNICATIONS SKILLS, REPORTING SKILLS AND LEARNED COMMPASIONE AND RESPECT FOR SPECIAL ED KIDS, MANAGEMENT WAS OK, VERY FRIENDLY CO WORKERS, THE HARDEST PART OF THE JOB WAS THE LONG HRS AND LOW PAY RATE
THE MOST ENHOYABLE PART OF THE JOB WAS PROVIDING EXCELLENT WORK EVERY DAY, FEELING GRAPEFUL TO HAVE A JOB.
working on a better me.
school bus driver (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJuly 21, 2015
I would love the job I was in if staff would treat their employees better. I made sure the children got to school safe. Made sure the bus was in good conditions. Made sure the students where on time to school.
school bus driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJuly 15, 2015
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: high stress
work hours are very flexible, work environment very stressful, need to pay attention to both road and internals of the bus,
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), 16627 Avalon Blvd., Carson, CA 90746July 10, 2015
Provide exceptional and on-time bus transportation services for elementary school students on a daily basis. Ensure that all children are seated by assignment and adhering to safety rules during travel. Attend In-Service meetings on a monthly basis to discuss safety rules for children, roadside emergencies, and other updates. Volunteer transportation services for school field trips and other off campus activities.
not much to say
Bus Attendant (Former Employee), 1720 e fairview Spokane, WAJuly 6, 2015
Cons: short breaks
a typical day work 5:30 am to 7:00 am working in the office when needed. then we work to 7:00 to 9:30 then work on the bus. from there back to the bus lot to wait for next shift. 11:00 to 1:00 not much to do waiting. then go back out by 2:00 and back at 3:00 and that's a typical day.
how to deal with people and give customer service. working in the office how to answer phones, work on the computer, and in put data entry.
management decided to give my job to a person on LNI and this person was also related by the head manager.
co-workers were great people each one was friendly and nice.
got a long well with even the most grumpy of them.
most enjoyed working was the part where i was actually working on the computer loved that part the most.
Being a bus driver has its perks.
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Raymond, MSJuly 2, 2015
Pros: Time off during the middle of the day for personal errands. Time off during the summer months.
Cons: Pay is a big issue.
A typical day at work includes an early morning start. Performing pre-trip inspection on bus/equipment. Running route picking up children for school. Delivering students safely and on-time middle and high school locations. Returning bus to park-out and performing final child check and post trip inspection.

Afternoon activities include both pre/post trip inspections. I typically pick children up from both middle and high school locations and transport them back to their homes.

The upside to this job is it allows for time off during the middle of the day to take care of personal tasks/errands. The downside is the student management. The students can have bad attitudes and very little respect and it makes for a longer day when they act out while driving the route.

As far as the co-worker/management, there is not a lot of interaction with either, but I do like working with them all - for the most part.
duties were not specified in the training
School bus driver (Former Employee), jacksonvilleJuly 2, 2015
Pros: steady pay every week
Cons: drivers are not respected as should be
very poorly trained mostly of the skills i learned on the job.trainers were not prepared to instruct new drivers to the company policy
I enjoy my job and the people I work with
School Bus Driver (Current Employee), Albuquerque NMJune 27, 2015
I really enjoy my job as a school bus driver. I have worked with special needs kids also which have made a big impact on my life. I have learned how to do a pretrip and post trip and my bus to make sure that it is safe to transport kids to and from school.
A job where you can get things done during the day
Bus Assistant (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 25, 2015
Pros: Split shifts
Cons: 180 day calendar
I learned that this job can be fun as well as hard. The company as whole is a ok place to work at. The kids are a joy at times and can teach you to be patient. My co workers are very fun and help keep the day going, there's never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job is that we only work 180 day a year.
great for single parents
driver (Current Employee), justin txJune 20, 2015
Pros: bring your children 2 or older
Cons: dealing with children
no job is perfect but this was the best job I've ever had. loved the hours. no nights or weekends. decent pay. the hard thing is student management but it can be done. great staff.
productive and fun to work
Bus Driver (Current Employee), San Bernardino, CAJune 17, 2015
Pros: We get appreciated for our good work
Cons: Work on providing better benefits for us
its very simple type job if your follow company rules. management is very organized something that I praise. Co-workers are respectful and nice. Overall I enjoy it.
Assembly
Bus Monitor (Former Employee), Huntsville, ALJune 16, 2015
Pros: We get to ride all day
Cons: Waking up and then getting off then gotta go back in midday
It was a great place to work. Just had to watch the students sometime, if they got out of place. You just had to write them up if they kept on acting out of line. Most of the time, my co-workers and I get along really well.
horrible
Bus Driver (Former Employee), philadelphia paJune 12, 2015
Pros: down time
Cons: no hours
the pay was horrible no benefits and the management does not know how to manage. Its like a high school all the bickering and he say she say.

1 2 3 4 5

About Durham School Services

Wanna go for a ride? National Express has a seat. Specializing in┬ápassenger transportation, the company serves riders in North – Read more

Durham School Services Photos