Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Must love or enjoy what you do. That makes a difference.
Professional School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SC9 December 2016
Over all I enjoyed the job. My Supervisor was an awesome individual, could not have asked for a better one. My fellow co-workers were cool as well. We really tried to work as team players together, that's so important.
Pros
The schedule and freedom to work another job inbetween or take a nap.
Cons
Having to deal with buses that were not adequately sufficient to drive. Sometimes no heat on buses, they were so old.
Good company
Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Royal Oak, MI26 November 2016
This is a good place to work, very nice people. They help you get your cdl no cost to you, they train you. If you put your time in you can get a route and more hours. You don't really get full time, but it is definitely worth it. You gain a skill and knowledge, make decent money and have an easy going job plus holidays, weekends, and summers off.
Pros
Easy job, gain a skilled trade, make decent hourly pay, holidays, weekends, and summers off, nice people and environment.
Cons
Not a lot of hours, no pay in summer.
visiting and learning everyday of students and the program
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Liberty, OH8 January 2017
you must always love your job as well as i do and the students i absolutely adore. however our clients think we drive a bus like you would your car and there is much more responsibilities to our job than they will ever know. we have from 1-300 lives a day to keep safe to and from school. we attend safety meeting every year that are mandated and mandatory. we must be on time of picking up ou children up however we can not control the weather , traffic, and or our bus problems that can occur..we have a fleet of over 200 buses something is going to go wrong..
Pros
we make an impact on their lives that sometimes we arent aware that we have but we try to.
Cons
not being awarded for our jobs or paid as well as we should, the negativity of the management.
friendly people to work with . Have little dinners every once in awhile to celebrate birthdays etc.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Natchitoches Louisiana12 November 2016
The staff were very helpful since i was not from that area. Showed me maps of routes and streets.That was a major plus. I learned in Louisiana that their a lot of swamps .The students helped you to know the stops and roads if needed.Co workers were a joy to work with always joking laughing but helpful when needed. The hardest part was ,I dont think their was a real hard part even tho it was early rising. enjoyable part was the interaction with the different people and culture
Pros
great learning experience. still got paid whether you drove a route or not
Cons
did not always have a route to drive
Busy work enviroment
Deisel Technician II (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, AL13 December 2016
The hardest part of my job would be getting all of my paperwork done. Every time anything is done to a bus you have to fill out a log and put it into a computer. This does not sound like much but it can be very tedious and time consuming due to the amount of buses, and the work being done.
Pros
lots of hoilday time off
Cons
anything over 40 hours is not payed
co workers are great
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN6 January 2017
this place is a joke to work at they are more into watching their employees than to back them when time is needed they treat the employees as if they are guilty they do not care if you the employee is innocent they will treat you guilty. they do not have your back at all
Pros
coworkers
Cons
not enough stability for employees
good training to get a bus endorsement on a cdl
driver (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TX16 September 2016
The training to get a bus endorsement was good.
What is lacking at the coupany is time get to know the the routes.
They dont provide time to ride with a trainer to learn the route.
Before taking the wheel and driving it your self.As a result of this
The bus drivers have allot of accidents trying to run the route in the
time schedule allotted.Most city bus drivers in public transportation
train for two weeks with a veteran driver before taking it over.
Pros
good cdl endorsement training
Cons
lack of time with a trainer to learn bus routes
Great place to work for Mom's that need to work but want to be home for their children.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Justin, TX2 September 2016
a typical day consisted of completing the pretrip inspection, picking up the kids from thier designated bus stops and taking them to school, safely. And then in the afternoon, picking up the kids and making sure they got to their designated bus stop. doing a "Child Check" after the last student was off the bus, bringing the bus back to the depot and doing post trip inspection.
Pros
being home when MY KIDS were home and summers, holidays off.
Cons
no income during the summer
With the management that is there now its all BAD
Bus Driver/office assistant (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MI6 January 2017
I would not send anyone to that company. I safety manager has no respect for other. She is only there for the check and has no problem tell you that. I love driving the bus but after 17 years and three different managers this is the worst I have seen it. W
Horrible management
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PA11 December 2016
Don't really agree with how they management and the buses are sometimes dangerous to drive. It takes them forever to fix the problem you're having with it one time I had to write my bus up numerous of times and it still til this day didn't get fixed
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Horrible vehicles
District Manager and manager did not like each other
Bus Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ohio16 December 2016
I called human resource at Durham school bus transportation about a week before crash in Tennessee.The woman said I sounded as if I had a personal problem with the driver.She then hung up the phone.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Speeding drivers, old buses, morale was bad.
Management favors certain people
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Piscataway, NJ24 August 2016
I've been waiting over a year to receive a check that was suppose to be our raise last school year. The management plays favors if you want extra work and if you're sick and need a day, you get yelled at like a 6 year old. No one answers the phone if you have a question, especially during the summer months. The office is a trailer and drivers use a porta-john. Beware....
Demanding place to work with great co-workers to make it good.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KS1 August 2016
Supervised the maintenance on two buildings and over 400 vehicles. Learned how to deal with outside vendors and management staff personalities. The most difficult part of job was to meet company guidelines with very limited resources and no help from maintenance VP or area Supervisor. Most enjoyable was the interaction with good people and being part of team at the local level.
Pros
Good co-workers.
Cons
Did not provide what was needed to meet all work requirements.
Favoritism galore
Driver (Current Employee) –  Aurora, IL31 July 2016
Local CSC has a lot of favoritism. The payroll clerk messes up all the time, but gets promoted to a job that is more involved. This clerk blames the drivers for mistakes made in booking the charters and field trips.
Drivers have "disappeared" during charter, not answering the radio and not doing their part...BUT NOTHING HAPPENS TO THEM. Certain drivers call off on a regular basis but don't lose their route. No consequences for bad employees and no rewards or acknowledgement of good employees.
Favoritism, poor pay
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Stratford, CT1 September 2016
If you are not part of the 'in' crowd, zero opportunities for advancement, no overtime and the worst runs. A select few get all the OT and the best routes. Very poorly managed. Compensation is pitiful, the worst in the region.
Very high staff turnover for a reason.
Pros
You get a CDL
Cons
Poor pay, zero opportunities, rampant nepotism
School Bus driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  York, PA14 December 2016
This is a position for a school bus driver. I was responsible for safely transporting students to and from school. Required attendance to safety meetings was a must.
Pros
Rewarding to get to know the students and families
Cons
Part time
very balanced in the work field
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Poughkeepsie, NY3 January 2017
Loved working for this company, however, they decided to cancel their contract with the school district, making us no longer having a job.
People were great to work for, loved my boss
Pros
talking to children
Cons
short term
My opininion with Durham
Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA13 January 2017
The management in Durham need improvements and need to put their foot done on district decision. Some of the co-workers were nice but some needed some therapy. The enjoyable part of the job was driving on the north side of town.
Great work enviroment
Bus Driver / Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NM12 December 2016
They help me to get my endorsement for passenger and school bus, they hear all my complaints and alway try to help me, work for them it was great, I got the opportunity to work as a maintenance on the buses, it was fun
Transportation
Student Transportation Services (Current Employee) –  Carpentersville, IL7 January 2017
This is a good job. It generates great growth opportunities and personal development. The company really does strive to take care for the children and value getting each child to and from school safely

2.8