Durham School Services Employee Reviews

Durham bus services
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Grayslake, IL16 August 2017
Friendly, organized, Always up to date on any information that needs to be dispersed at the beginning, end or middle of school year. Communication is great and wonderful place to work
Union therefore it is very difficult to advance
Substitute School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Owensville, OH 4516016 August 2017
They are part of the Teamsters Union therefore if you are not a full time driver and part of the union you can't take advantage of any additional work that might be available because there are certain drivers who work the system to benefit themselves not caring about their fellow co-workers.
Ok place to work. Loved the kids.
Lead School bus monitor (Former Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA15 August 2017
It's a split shift job. Not my preference. Great working with the children. Co workers were fun. Easy tasks to fulfill, safe environment. Easy employment process.
Pros
Working with children. Easy tasks.
Cons
Split shift.
Productive and a Good Environment
School Bus Driver and Driver Trainer (Former Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MI15 August 2017
Pick up and Drive Students daily safely and on time. Management was very organized and Co- Workers were fun to work with. The most important aspect was Safety due to Extremely Precious Cargo.
Pros
Enjoyed the Position
Cons
Part - Time
I would be great if management was more on our side concerning rules
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Laguna Beach, CA12 August 2017
I feel my company is more concern with looking good without being good. They should stand by the rules we are required to obey as bus drivers. They should be more concern about are we really driving safely.
Pros
Appreciation lunches
Cons
Expect us to do what is not right
its a job
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN12 August 2017
if you need a job, go for it. Some people are nice; some are not as any other place. They were very disorganized, messy, and disrespectful.

My experience: Get there, wait, clock in, get assignment, pre trip bus and leave. Pick up children. Go back to lot. Go home. Return to work and repeat.
I learned that bus driving is not that hard and I don't like split shifts. Management had issues with one another and it showed. Professionalism was not there. Some people in management were messy as well.
Hardest part of the job was split shift.
Most enjoyable for me was getting children to school on time and me going home.
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
lack of respect
Very good experience with this company as far as interacting with different children especially special need children
Bus Monitor (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TN12 August 2017
The job was a good experience to see and interact with different children especially special need children,good job to experience if love children!!!!
Pros
Pay rate was good
Cons
Short breaks
Must love to drive under many conditions
Driver (Current Employee) –  Racine, WI10 August 2017
Competitive starting pay but still is far behind compensating those who start with experience.The only transit company that wont pay for experience. There is not paid training and medical benefits are very insufficient. Current management is great however and does much to try to boost morale. Winter driving is not for the timid in Wisconsin and most all company vehicles are without air conditioning. Working with students has rewards if you like kids. I have been here over 6 years but transporting students since January 1999.
Pros
Great management
Cons
stessors can be high some days
Great if you're looking for split work schedule
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Justin, TX8 August 2017
Up by 5:00 AM clock in by 6:30 AM off by 8:30 AM, on again around 2:00 PM or 3:00 PM until 5:30 PM

Learn to practice defensive driving as a daily norm
Pros
Co-workers, students
Cons
Part time pay - go out of way to ensure no over time
love driving but rare chance for advancement
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Justin, TX8 August 2017
the management changes so much and not for the best. not sure about returning. need to treat drivers and part time employees better. it will continue to get worse if management is not chosen better in the future.
Pros
kids, School, Co Drivers
Decent
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WA7 August 2017
Decent place to work if you are single or retired. Very early mornings and very late nights depending on how many hours you want. work is split shift and only guaranteed four hours a day.
motor coach operators love to travel
Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA7 August 2017
My twenty plus years as a driver and sometimes passenger i have learned that safety first is a rule in the work place and my daily life i love to drive this is my niche in life my calling i have been at it for the purpose to bring your kids are my paid customers to and from comfortable with no distractions.All my jobs in transportation has been great experiences for me .A bus driver duties just not about driving are riding around its careful consideration of someone child and driving a bus are motor coach that can be very dangerous if not trained properly to be mindful of surroundings on the road,am to 5 pm the work place needs all your attention and those kids .the work room are drivers room is always a pleasant bright place for coffee drinkers and snack machines are always vendor full. i love mornings there the smiles you encounter makes and have made my day.
Pros
driving the company vechicle
Cons
my breaks in between good dental and vision insurance
Productive and casual work environment.
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TX7 August 2017
Transport children to and from school in the mornings and afternoons. Attend monthly safety meetings. Management will help with discipline children when required to maintain a safe and healthy environment. The workplace is diverse.
Pros
Paid Holidays
My years @ Durham
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, IA5 August 2017
I've slowly advanced my wages. Started as monitor for bus , training to be a driver in between routes. You have to be driver, peacemaker, counselor, trusted friend to your kids on the bus , no matter how old. Not everyone can do this job.
Pros
Occasional tiny perks, some free picnics
Cons
Inclement weather, bad behavior from students, poor road conditions
Coworkers were mean
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN5 August 2017
This place was crazy to much chaos their was people everywhere waiting to work some of them were down out lazy if you had a aide on the bus all they would do is sleep on the bus or set on their phones.
Management to much on their hands need more or better employees.
Pros
The children
Cons
Not enough hour or pay
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  San Bernardino, CA4 August 2017
Bright mornings and great work environment. I've learned things like invoicing and supervisor skills. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with
Very stressful work environment
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Nine Mile Falls, WA3 August 2017
They are always understaffed.
Wages are far below what they should be for this type of work.
If you want to work just during the school year, then it would be a good job.
Not where you want to be
Bus driver (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TX3 August 2017
I worked here for 2 years and they changed bosses 3 different times and pay is not good. A typical day is coming in and driving a route and if ANYTHING goes wrong on your route they will blame you. You get your hourly pay for route, but if you do field trips pay is $1 less and when you are waiting at the trip for the kids and teachers to finish they cut your hourly pay in half until you start driving again.
Pros
Local
Cons
Extremely expensive benefits
Buss driver
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Decatur, IL3 August 2017
Drove a school bus. It was a part time job and I enjoyed working with handicap children. It was nothing I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I wanted full time and needed benefits. I was taking college class while I worked at the bus company. It has changed names several times.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
No Benefits at all.
Chaotic and Unorganized
Tech I (Former Employee) –  Keller, TX3 August 2017
While there were one or two who knew what they were doing and capable of actually helping most upper management had no clue about anything and you always get the run around.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Durham School Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9