Durham College Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
An Exceptional environment, to teach.an ambundant amount of resourses for the students to learn from.
Professor (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Cons: Contract work
A pleasant work experience to teach. Unbelievable amount of knowledge and resources to pull from. Other instructors were very supportive and extremely giving with their knowledge.
On a typical day we(38 students) would have a hour of theory, Class then split into two groups and we moved to the lad for two hours of Practical.

I developed all my lessons, Power Points, and setup the lab work. From disassembling transmissions and engines to learning how to diagnose wiring issues in the automotive industry.

Every day was a pleasure to see the spark in the kids eyes when they learned a new task or scored well on a assignment. Getting to know about the students, their personal ideas and the passion they had for the trade.

Hardest part was learning to Colleges administration, but the management was more than helpful.
Just give everyone an A
Instructor - School of Science (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 1, 2015
Pros: If you drink the kool-aid, you are all set
Cons: Coddling of adolescents is the directive.
Get ready to mark papers etc. until about 12AM almost every night - actually scratch that. Don't mark anything, just give everyone an A, because any student that doesn't get an A will complain to the Dean. The Dean only cares about KPI's and keeping the little kids happy, which means that any low mark is your (the teacher's) fault.

Don't even think about marking any international student a low grade because of poor English, incomprehensible sentences, obvious plagiarism or sub par work - it's your fault (the teacher's) for not being sensitive to the international student's needs. Don't even think for a minute to grade them the same way that you grade a domestic student - if you did, you might fail half your class, and that would be a big hit on the KPI's,

Once again, just give everyone an A and you will be employed forever..
Flexible work for students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: close to my school
Cons: unorganized students
As a Peer Tutor I would tutor individual students or a group in various subjects( Biology, Pharmacology, Psychology etc.). I worked with students who had different learning styles and who were in different programs. What I learned from this job was to adapt to different learning styles and be able to communicate effectively. I did not have a great deal of interaction with management but when I did they were extremely helpful and efficient. The hardest part of my job was helping really unorganized students or students who didn't come frequently enough. The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that it was on campus and the hours were flexible with my schedule.
Always a good time and productivity was always high
Poll Clerk (Former Employee), Durham College, Oshawa ONJune 5, 2014
Pros: enjoyable work
Cons: some nights ran too late and over schedule
A typical day we would break off into our stations and in each station of the school and campuses we would collect votes from students for their choice of President, Vice President etc.

The management was great with keeping everyone on task and if anything was needed at station it was easy to contact them and get what we needed to continue to run the voting station smoothly.

The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and getting to work with all different kinds of students such as Health Science students, Law students and Graphic Arts students.
Durham College
Durham College Summer Sports Camp Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 14, 2014
Pros: free lunches
At the beginning before the camps started my job consisted of a lot of emailing to companies for donations. I would go take flyers around the community and to different companies to promote our camps. When the camps started it was a fun environment with all the counselors and kids being around. It was a nice environment to work in because you well trusted by the management. The hardest part of the job was time management, but I definitely learned how to use my time more wisely to get all the tasks finished.
high level work environment and professional coworkers
Helpdesk Support Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: good management
Cons: low income
I have been working from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. I liked the work environment and I was working with professional team. My manager had a good management skill and helped me to learn my job quickly. The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting but as long as I like challenges and I was trying to find out the problems. Contacting with student and solving their problem was the enjoyable part of the job.
Durham College
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, making own hours
Cons: Time crunch during exams
The best part of this job was choosing my own hours, this allowed me to create the perfect balance of school and work. The worst part of the job was when certain things needed done and exams were just around the corner. Working with fellow classmates made the job easy to communicate with them when problems occurred. A typical day consisted of building and testing circuits, as-well as documenting the results.
Teaching Junior Students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 7, 2012
Pros: good experience
Cons: not much hours
At Durham College I used to teach Chemistry and Math to my junior student who were having difficulties understanding basic concept about it. It was a great experience of teaching them because I teach then my method which seems easy for me but if they don't understand it then I teach them in their method which I didn't know properly. But by teaching them in their method I also learned some easy and new technique of teaching.
Team oriented and fast and friendly
Book Store Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2016
I worked in the College Book Store as a temp CSR. I enjoyed helping the students look for the books they needed and using the computers and other resources to help make the job easier. Co-workers were generally helpful. It does have it's ups and downs like any other job does. I liked that I was guaranteed a set number of hours and it was posted in advance.
fun way to get work experience while completing studies
Web Developer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 6, 2014
Pros: flexible hours around classes work at school was convenient great work experience
Cons: sometimes hard to find area to work pay is low, but still better than min wage work
Good:
Flexible hours around classes
Work at school was convenient
Great work experience

Not so :
Sometimes hard to find area to work
Pay is low, but still better than min wage work
Students enjoy more of sports, art & culture.
tutor (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJune 15, 2013
Pros: lots of eating schedules
Cons: donor group.
yes, just good.Employees show some helping attitude but it is hardly of any help.
Training to new commers is quite old and traditional without much vision.
The most enjoyable part of the job is availability of the technical resources.
I learned that I need a God father, to succeed .
The hardest part of the job is, lack of feed back.
Durham College's Pharmaceutical and Food Science Program is very comprehensive.
Internship (Former Employee), Oshawa, OntarioAugust 20, 2013
Pros: lots of hands-on experience. trips to food manufacturig plants. internship opportunity.
The program included food processing, food microbiology, product development, quality assurance and control, proper use of laboratory instruments. Excellent instructors who care about your success.
Collaborative and proactive workplace
Policy and Procedure Writer (Former Employee), OshawaMarch 26, 2014
I had the pleasure of working closely to nurses, doctors and students of Durham College. The work environment was great, everyone was helpful and respectful. I learned how to properly and effectively write and policies and procedures, among other things. It was a great and enjoyable experience.
Great job, lots of variety in work
Logistics Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
The job was fun and enjoyable. A typical day would start with getting work orders and the rest of the day would be fulfilling the orders. Jobs could include moving materials around the school, fixing furniture or replacing furniture in offices, and event setup and tear down.
Great work environment with great people
Facility Attendant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONSeptember 18, 2013
Great staff with caring managers/supervisors. Learned a lot in my 3 years of employment, especially when it comes to dealing with customers. Good balance between physical demand (set-up/tear-down for events) and non-physical work (front desk and customer service).
Great place to work.
Psychology Professor (Part Time) (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 27, 2015
Durham provides many options for faculty to enrich their teaching skills and experts always provide a friendly atmosphere for learning. The hardest part of my job as part time faulty is not knowing if a teaching section will be available.
Student Research Position
Research Technologist (Former Employee), 2000 Simcoe Street NorthApril 8, 2013
Pros: great pay for students
Cons: not enough projects
The hours were great for a full time student, management was tight and very professional, and the projects were well managed. There wasn't a time I'd go to work and ask what needed to be done.
Peer Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 13, 2015
Have worked here for a short duration just as a peer tutor to help aid my peers in understanding concepts and material. It's been a fantastic job so far and I've enjoyed helping my peers, as they will possibly be some of the people I am working with in the future.
I enjoyed my time teaching.
Instructor (Former Employee), Oshawa OntarioMarch 3, 2014
The in-class teaching was time consuming in preparation time. Time that was unpaid.
Clinical instruction was the best part. It allowed me to foster student's academics into viable health care providers.
It was a good place
Admissions and Recruitment Clerk (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 29, 2013
Yes it was the place where I went to school but it was the same situation. the people were good and it was interesting to see what programs students were applying for and learning new skills