Durham College Employee Reviews

Good Laboratory experience
Microbiology lab preparation assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON20 February 2017
This was a placement job in the microbiology laboratory or Durham college.
Typical days consisted of cleaning glassware, and preparation of auger for classes.
The Management was good and always clear about what was needed and training on how to properly prepare solutions was very thorough
helpdesk analyst
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON21 February 2017
even though i was there only a few months, i felt if there was a job at durham college that opened up, i would want to say there my whole life. (it department contract employee)
Pros
job security, 0 on call time
Cons
bureaucracy
Positive work place
Part Time professor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 April 2016
Durham College is a fantastic environment that allows a new teacher to be able to meet the demands of the Classroom environment. A supportive management with tools available to complete the Job
Pros
Benefits even for part time teachers
Cons
Long Drive
Great school and offers amazing learning experiences
Paramedic Program (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 February 2017
Amazing teaching staff and class peers. Very inclusive and geared towards benefiting the students. Promotes community involvement and real world experience, rather than purely simulation.
Outgoing and Ambitious Staff
Student Orientation and Transitions Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 December 2016
I love working at Durham College because it allows me to expand the skills I have acquired in school and apply them to the job.
Great atmosphere
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON13 December 2016
Durham College has been a great place to work part time while I am in full time studies. The people are extremely friendly and it has a great atmosphere!
Accomodating and Friendly
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 February 2017
Meeting with students to work on course material, preparation for exams, and implement effective study plans.
Staff is very supportive and friendly.
Pros
Work around your schedule
Excellent workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa5 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. I made some excellent friends, co-workers were great and I also learnt how to better my time management skills.
Pros
Friendly people
excellent
Student - Computer Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Great place to work and great town as well and new state of art building
Great management and supportive team
Enjoyable days at work
Great team
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
An Exceptional environment, to teach.an ambundant amount of resourses for the students to learn from.
Professor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 January 2016
A pleasant work experience to teach. Unbelievable amount of knowledge and resources to pull from. Other instructors were very supportive and extremely giving with their knowledge.
On a typical day we(38 students) would have a hour of theory, Class then split into two groups and we moved to the lad for two hours of Practical.

I developed all my lessons, Power Points, and setup the lab work. From disassembling transmissions and engines to learning how to diagnose wiring issues in the automotive industry.

Every day was a pleasure to see the spark in the kids eyes when they learned a new task or scored well on a assignment. Getting to know about the students, their personal ideas and the passion they had for the trade.

Hardest part was learning to Colleges administration, but the management was more than helpful.
Cons
Contract work
Productive, casual and fun workplace
IT Computer Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 April 2016
A typical day had me either sitting in the office working on imaging/updating school computers or running around and checking computer labs to ensure proper functionality on the machines. During my time at Durham College I learned a lot about computer repair, BIOS updates and changes, and the whole imaging process.

My co-workers were the best part of the job as we got along great and would constantly be joking around while we worked. The overall environment was fun, laid-back but also productive, and just great.

The hardest part of the job would have been just walking from one side of the campus to the other to check problems on a machine and then having to repeat the trip multiple times if the problem persisted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and talking to my co-workers as they really made the job so much fun for me.
Pros
Coworkers
Excellent
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2016
Great place to work, expand your network and get into the groove of how research to pertinent to industry. Excellent management staff.
Pros
Free Lunchs
Cons
Short Hours
Managaed and well-organized
KPI ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 May 2016
• KPI’s are utilized as a technique for measuring how well Ontario colleges addresses the issues of students and their facilities. They ensure that programs remain strong, responsive and needs driven. Volunteers are required to clarify the procedure and strategies of the KPI to the allocated class. Once instructions are given, KPI's are distributed to the class and are received once completed.
Great Place To Work!
Book Store Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 June 2016
Great Place to work. Fast pace, always something new.
Employees are friendly and approachable. Very accommodating to the different needs of employees
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
Having to pay for parking
Great experience!
Official Scorer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 April 2016
Durham College gave me many great opportunities and experiences. It was a very enjoyable and flexible job, which is perfect for any student out there.
Shift work
Student (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 January 2016
The hospital work environment was cold, clinical and dust-free. The IT technology was undergoing continuous updates and the medical devices were plentiful. The nursing staff was supportive and the paramedics were professional. My experience was short however each doctor was a specialist and can open the door for other patients in the community seeking medical services.
Pros
Free coffee and donuts
Cons
work late at night
Flexible work for students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  oshawa, ON8 September 2014
As a Peer Tutor I would tutor individual students or a group in various subjects( Biology, Pharmacology, Psychology etc.). I worked with students who had different learning styles and who were in different programs. What I learned from this job was to adapt to different learning styles and be able to communicate effectively. I did not have a great deal of interaction with management but when I did they were extremely helpful and efficient. The hardest part of my job was helping really unorganized students or students who didn't come frequently enough. The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that it was on campus and the hours were flexible with my schedule.
Pros
Close to my school
Cons
unorganized students
Instructor
Physiotherapy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2016
Very nice help for new instructors. Good with orientation and resources. Nice atmosphere with students and classroom. Overall a nice place to work. Should have more full time opportunities for teachers.
Always a good time and productivity was always high
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durham College, Oshawa ON5 June 2014
A typical day we would break off into our stations and in each station of the school and campuses we would collect votes from students for their choice of President, Vice President etc.

The management was great with keeping everyone on task and if anything was needed at station it was easy to contact them and get what we needed to continue to run the voting station smoothly.

The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and getting to work with all different kinds of students such as Health Science students, Law students and Graphic Arts students.
Pros
Enjoyable work
Cons
Some nights ran too late and over schedule
Just give everyone an A
Instructor - School of Science (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 October 2015
Get ready to mark papers etc. until about 12AM almost every night - actually scratch that. Don't mark anything, just give everyone an A, because any student that doesn't get an A will complain to the Dean. The Dean only cares about KPI's and keeping the little kids happy, which means that any low mark is your (the teacher's) fault.

Don't even think about marking any international student a low grade because of poor English, incomprehensible sentences, obvious plagiarism or sub par work - it's your fault (the teacher's) for not being sensitive to the international student's needs. Don't even think for a minute to grade them the same way that you grade a domestic student - if you did, you might fail half your class, and that would be a big hit on the KPI's,

Once again, just give everyone an A and you will be employed forever..
Pros
If you drink the kool-aid, you are all set
Cons
Coddling of adolescents is the directive.

4.4