Durham College Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Managaed and well-organized
KPI ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 3, 2016
• KPI’s are utilized as a technique for measuring how well Ontario colleges addresses the issues of students and their facilities. They ensure that programs remain strong, responsive and needs driven. Volunteers are required to clarify the procedure and strategies of the KPI to the allocated class. Once instructions are given, KPI's are distributed to the class and are received once completed.
Excellent
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 2, 2016
Pros: Free Lunchs
Cons: Short Hours
Great place to work, expand your network and get into the groove of how research to pertinent to industry. Excellent management staff.
Great experience!
Official Scorer (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 29, 2016
Durham College gave me many great opportunities and experiences. It was a very enjoyable and flexible job, which is perfect for any student out there.
Positive work place
Part Time professor (Current Employee), Whitby, ONApril 27, 2016
Pros: Benefits even for part time teachers
Cons: Long Drive
Durham College is a fantastic environment that allows a new teacher to be able to meet the demands of the Classroom environment. A supportive management with tools available to complete the Job
Productive, casual and fun workplace
IT Computer Preparation Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 14, 2016
Pros: Coworkers
A typical day had me either sitting in the office working on imaging/updating school computers or running around and checking computer labs to ensure proper functionality on the machines. During my time at Durham College I learned a lot about computer repair, BIOS updates and changes, and the whole imaging process.

My co-workers were the best part of the job as we got along great and would constantly be joking around while we worked. The overall environment was fun, laid-back but also productive, and just great.

The hardest part of the job would have been just walking from one side of the campus to the other to check problems on a machine and then having to repeat the trip multiple times if the problem persisted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and talking to my co-workers as they really made the job so much fun for me.
Instructor
Physiotherapy Instructor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 14, 2016
Very nice help for new instructors. Good with orientation and resources. Nice atmosphere with students and classroom. Overall a nice place to work. Should have more full time opportunities for teachers.
Shift work
Student (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: Free coffee and donuts
Cons: work late at night
The hospital work environment was cold, clinical and dust-free. The IT technology was undergoing continuous updates and the medical devices were plentiful. The nursing staff was supportive and the paramedics were professional. My experience was short however each doctor was a specialist and can open the door for other patients in the community seeking medical services.
Team oriented and fast and friendly
Book Store Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONJanuary 7, 2016
I worked in the College Book Store as a temp CSR. I enjoyed helping the students look for the books they needed and using the computers and other resources to help make the job easier. Co-workers were generally helpful. It does have it's ups and downs like any other job does. I liked that I was guaranteed a set number of hours and it was posted in advance.
An Exceptional environment, to teach.an ambundant amount of resourses for the students to learn from.
Professor (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJanuary 1, 2016
Cons: Contract work
A pleasant work experience to teach. Unbelievable amount of knowledge and resources to pull from. Other instructors were very supportive and extremely giving with their knowledge.
On a typical day we(38 students) would have a hour of theory, Class then split into two groups and we moved to the lad for two hours of Practical.

I developed all my lessons, Power Points, and setup the lab work. From disassembling transmissions and engines to learning how to diagnose wiring issues in the automotive industry.

Every day was a pleasure to see the spark in the kids eyes when they learned a new task or scored well on a assignment. Getting to know about the students, their personal ideas and the passion they had for the trade.

Hardest part was learning to Colleges administration, but the management was more than helpful.
Fun
Varsity Minor Official- Streaming Play -by- Play (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONDecember 29, 2015
A typical day consisted of commentating on games. Everyone was really kind when I joined. Even though I joined late, everyone helped me with open arms.
Great job, lots of variety in work
Logistics Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONDecember 8, 2015
The job was fun and enjoyable. A typical day would start with getting work orders and the rest of the day would be fulfilling the orders. Jobs could include moving materials around the school, fixing furniture or replacing furniture in offices, and event setup and tear down.
best work environment
Tutor (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONDecember 5, 2015
The pay was great, the typical day at work is full of information and good working experience. the most enjoyable part of the job is that students are ready to be taught.
Just give everyone an A
Instructor - School of Science (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONOctober 1, 2015
Pros: If you drink the kool-aid, you are all set
Cons: Coddling of adolescents is the directive.
Get ready to mark papers etc. until about 12AM almost every night - actually scratch that. Don't mark anything, just give everyone an A, because any student that doesn't get an A will complain to the Dean. The Dean only cares about KPI's and keeping the little kids happy, which means that any low mark is your (the teacher's) fault.

Don't even think about marking any international student a low grade because of poor English, incomprehensible sentences, obvious plagiarism or sub par work - it's your fault (the teacher's) for not being sensitive to the international student's needs. Don't even think for a minute to grade them the same way that you grade a domestic student - if you did, you might fail half your class, and that would be a big hit on the KPI's,

Once again, just give everyone an A and you will be employed forever..
Easy fun and interactive
student (Former Employee), Oshawa,OntarioAugust 18, 2015
Pros: Discount on lunches at school pub
Cons: corrupted student union
Decent place, to work easy hours working as a student and very understanding. Get to know other students on the campus, as well gain valuable skills
Durham College
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 19, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, making own hours
Cons: Time crunch during exams
The best part of this job was choosing my own hours, this allowed me to create the perfect balance of school and work. The worst part of the job was when certain things needed done and exams were just around the corner. Working with fellow classmates made the job easy to communicate with them when problems occurred. A typical day consisted of building and testing circuits, as-well as documenting the results.
Peer Tutor
Tutor (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 13, 2015
Have worked here for a short duration just as a peer tutor to help aid my peers in understanding concepts and material. It's been a fantastic job so far and I've enjoyed helping my peers, as they will possibly be some of the people I am working with in the future.
Great place to work.
Psychology Professor (Part Time) (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 27, 2015
Durham provides many options for faculty to enrich their teaching skills and experts always provide a friendly atmosphere for learning. The hardest part of my job as part time faulty is not knowing if a teaching section will be available.
Great Staff
Cashier (seasonal) (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMarch 8, 2015
Durham college book store has a great staff. They are very dedicated to making sure students have everything they need to succeed
Flexible work for students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee), oshawa, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: close to my school
Cons: unorganized students
As a Peer Tutor I would tutor individual students or a group in various subjects( Biology, Pharmacology, Psychology etc.). I worked with students who had different learning styles and who were in different programs. What I learned from this job was to adapt to different learning styles and be able to communicate effectively. I did not have a great deal of interaction with management but when I did they were extremely helpful and efficient. The hardest part of my job was helping really unorganized students or students who didn't come frequently enough. The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that it was on campus and the hours were flexible with my schedule.
Study
Student (Current Employee), OshawaAugust 28, 2014
Studying business fundamentals course at Durham College, Oshawa Campus ON Canada