Durham College Employee Reviews

Positive work place
Part Time professor (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ON27 April 2016
Durham College is a fantastic environment that allows a new teacher to be able to meet the demands of the Classroom environment. A supportive management with tools available to complete the Job
Pros
Benefits even for part time teachers
Cons
Long Drive
Excellent workplace
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa5 July 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working here. I made some excellent friends, co-workers were great and I also learnt how to better my time management skills.
Pros
Friendly people
excellent
Student - Computer Application Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 May 2016
Great place to work and great town as well and new state of art building
Great management and supportive team
Enjoyable days at work
Great team
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Productive, casual and fun workplace
IT Computer Preparation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 April 2016
A typical day had me either sitting in the office working on imaging/updating school computers or running around and checking computer labs to ensure proper functionality on the machines. During my time at Durham College I learned a lot about computer repair, BIOS updates and changes, and the whole imaging process.

My co-workers were the best part of the job as we got along great and would constantly be joking around while we worked. The overall environment was fun, laid-back but also productive, and just great.

The hardest part of the job would have been just walking from one side of the campus to the other to check problems on a machine and then having to repeat the trip multiple times if the problem persisted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and talking to my co-workers as they really made the job so much fun for me.
Pros
Coworkers
An Exceptional environment, to teach.an ambundant amount of resourses for the students to learn from.
Professor (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 January 2016
A pleasant work experience to teach. Unbelievable amount of knowledge and resources to pull from. Other instructors were very supportive and extremely giving with their knowledge.
On a typical day we(38 students) would have a hour of theory, Class then split into two groups and we moved to the lad for two hours of Practical.

I developed all my lessons, Power Points, and setup the lab work. From disassembling transmissions and engines to learning how to diagnose wiring issues in the automotive industry.

Every day was a pleasure to see the spark in the kids eyes when they learned a new task or scored well on a assignment. Getting to know about the students, their personal ideas and the passion they had for the trade.

Hardest part was learning to Colleges administration, but the management was more than helpful.
Cons
Contract work
Excellent
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2016
Great place to work, expand your network and get into the groove of how research to pertinent to industry. Excellent management staff.
Pros
Free Lunchs
Cons
Short Hours
Managaed and well-organized
KPI ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON3 May 2016
• KPI’s are utilized as a technique for measuring how well Ontario colleges addresses the issues of students and their facilities. They ensure that programs remain strong, responsive and needs driven. Volunteers are required to clarify the procedure and strategies of the KPI to the allocated class. Once instructions are given, KPI's are distributed to the class and are received once completed.
Great experience!
Official Scorer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 April 2016
Durham College gave me many great opportunities and experiences. It was a very enjoyable and flexible job, which is perfect for any student out there.
Shift work
Student (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON28 January 2016
The hospital work environment was cold, clinical and dust-free. The IT technology was undergoing continuous updates and the medical devices were plentiful. The nursing staff was supportive and the paramedics were professional. My experience was short however each doctor was a specialist and can open the door for other patients in the community seeking medical services.
Pros
Free coffee and donuts
Cons
work late at night
Instructor
Physiotherapy Instructor (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2016
Very nice help for new instructors. Good with orientation and resources. Nice atmosphere with students and classroom. Overall a nice place to work. Should have more full time opportunities for teachers.
Team oriented and fast and friendly
Book Store Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON7 January 2016
I worked in the College Book Store as a temp CSR. I enjoyed helping the students look for the books they needed and using the computers and other resources to help make the job easier. Co-workers were generally helpful. It does have it's ups and downs like any other job does. I liked that I was guaranteed a set number of hours and it was posted in advance.
Just give everyone an A
Instructor - School of Science (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON1 October 2015
Get ready to mark papers etc. until about 12AM almost every night - actually scratch that. Don't mark anything, just give everyone an A, because any student that doesn't get an A will complain to the Dean. The Dean only cares about KPI's and keeping the little kids happy, which means that any low mark is your (the teacher's) fault.

Don't even think about marking any international student a low grade because of poor English, incomprehensible sentences, obvious plagiarism or sub par work - it's your fault (the teacher's) for not being sensitive to the international student's needs. Don't even think for a minute to grade them the same way that you grade a domestic student - if you did, you might fail half your class, and that would be a big hit on the KPI's,

Once again, just give everyone an A and you will be employed forever..
Pros
If you drink the kool-aid, you are all set
Cons
Coddling of adolescents is the directive.
Great job, lots of variety in work
Logistics Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON8 December 2015
The job was fun and enjoyable. A typical day would start with getting work orders and the rest of the day would be fulfilling the orders. Jobs could include moving materials around the school, fixing furniture or replacing furniture in offices, and event setup and tear down.
Flexible work for students
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  oshawa, ON8 September 2014
As a Peer Tutor I would tutor individual students or a group in various subjects( Biology, Pharmacology, Psychology etc.). I worked with students who had different learning styles and who were in different programs. What I learned from this job was to adapt to different learning styles and be able to communicate effectively. I did not have a great deal of interaction with management but when I did they were extremely helpful and efficient. The hardest part of my job was helping really unorganized students or students who didn't come frequently enough. The most enjoyable part of this job was the fact that it was on campus and the hours were flexible with my schedule.
Pros
Close to my school
Cons
unorganized students
Fun
Varsity Minor Official- Streaming Play -by- Play (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON29 December 2015
A typical day consisted of commentating on games. Everyone was really kind when I joined. Even though I joined late, everyone helped me with open arms.
Always a good time and productivity was always high
Poll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Durham College, Oshawa ON5 June 2014
A typical day we would break off into our stations and in each station of the school and campuses we would collect votes from students for their choice of President, Vice President etc.

The management was great with keeping everyone on task and if anything was needed at station it was easy to contact them and get what we needed to continue to run the voting station smoothly.

The most enjoyable part was meeting new people and getting to work with all different kinds of students such as Health Science students, Law students and Graphic Arts students.
Pros
Enjoyable work
Cons
Some nights ran too late and over schedule
Durham College
Durham College Summer Sports Camp Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 April 2014
At the beginning before the camps started my job consisted of a lot of emailing to companies for donations. I would go take flyers around the community and to different companies to promote our camps. When the camps started it was a fun environment with all the counselors and kids being around. It was a nice environment to work in because you well trusted by the management. The hardest part of the job was time management, but I definitely learned how to use my time more wisely to get all the tasks finished.
Pros
Free Lunches
best work environment
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 December 2015
The pay was great, the typical day at work is full of information and good working experience. the most enjoyable part of the job is that students are ready to be taught.
high level work environment and professional coworkers
Helpdesk Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON17 January 2014
I have been working from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. I liked the work environment and I was working with professional team. My manager had a good management skill and helped me to learn my job quickly. The hardest part of the job was troubleshooting but as long as I like challenges and I was trying to find out the problems. Contacting with student and solving their problem was the enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good management
Cons
low income
Durham College
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON19 May 2015
The best part of this job was choosing my own hours, this allowed me to create the perfect balance of school and work. The worst part of the job was when certain things needed done and exams were just around the corner. Working with fellow classmates made the job easy to communicate with them when problems occurred. A typical day consisted of building and testing circuits, as-well as documenting the results.
Pros
Co-workers, making own hours
Cons
Time crunch during exams

4.3