Durham College is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.
COMPETITION NO. SS13-13W
NEW POSITION (X) FULL TIME (X)
REPLACEMENT () PART TIME ()
POSITION START DATE: AUGUST 1, 2013
Salary: Starting Rate: $36.97; Four Year Rate: $42.86
Department: I.T. Services, Administrative Information Systems
Hours: 35 hours per week (1) one hour lunch; Mon – Fri (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Reporting To: Manager, Application Development
Campus Location: Oshawa
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The incumbent will be responsible for implementing, managing, and maintaining several Oracle 11g databases and Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g Application Servers. The incumbent’s responsibilities will also include evaluating product releases and executing upgrades and applying Oracle security patch sets. Additionally the incumbent will assist with the management of the Ellucian technology stack (OS, DB, App, and Web) in support of the college’s and university’s integrated information systems. The incumbent will configure Oracle options and software parameters to achieve maximum database performance for Banner, Luminis, other ancillary systems, and a variety of reporting tools and supporting applications. The incumbent will serve as a technical resource and will interact effectively with outside technical support personnel. He/she works with Application Developers to increase their understanding of the database and application server architecture.
- Installs and upgrades Oracle database servers and application tools
- Keeps track of database security and applies security patches for all the Oracle database products
- Works with storage support unit to ensure the backup process has the correct policy and the policies are working as required
- Independently diagnoses and resolves any related database server and application server issues and provides solutions and recommendations
- Provides immediate trouble-shooting for production problems related to database responsibilities
- Reviews existing database practices and procedures to ensure database integrity, accuracy and completeness
- Ensures that the proper operation and integrity, accuracy and completeness of the computer application database is maintained in a timely manner
- Completes required process documentation, such as Request For Change (RFC) for promotion into production database environment
- Periodically performs database recovery drills to validate database backup set and accuracy of recovery documentation
- Provides technical support in the installation, upgrade, and maintenance of Oracle tools such as SQL Developer, Forms, Reports, etc.
- Clones or refreshes development/testing databases from production database for Banner, Luminis and other ancillary systems
- Participates in application installation and upgrade projects along with implementation and development teams.
- Executes and manages technical upgrade steps resolving technical issues, overseeing technical checklist, tracking and reporting on progress.
- Works with implementation and maintenance teams to increase their understanding of the application system architecture and infrastructure.
- Ensures the security, availability, performance and manageability is adequate.
- When required, arranges for the installation of hardware components and ensures that they are functioning correctly.
- Completes the installation/upgrades of the software in the testing and development environment, conducts and arranges for thorough testing by developers as well as staff in affected departments.
- Completes required process documentation, such as Service Request forms for production promotion in banner form and report environment
- Oversees the establishment of standards and procedures required to effectively use the Oracle database server and application server options.
- Must be willing to attend training to develop skills related to other relational database system such as MS SQL Server, MySQL, etc.
1. Three year degree or diploma in Computer Science, Information systems or Systems Engineering or equivalent.
2. Minimum five years experience in Oracle database administration in a UNIX/Linux and Windows environment.
3. Technical experience with Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g Application Server , Oracle Database Server 10g and 11g, PL/SQL, Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports and Oracle J2EE
4. Oracle Certified Professional designation is an asset.
5. Strong organizational and time management skills in planning, executing and completing tasks.
6. Well developed problem solving, decision making and leadership skills.
7. Ability to be clear and concise with verbal and written communication skills.
8. Must be self-directed and motivated
9. The ability to work well both independently and as part of a team.
All interested candidates are to submit full, updated resumes quoting competition number SS13-13IN. Applications will be received until suitable candidates are found.