Downer EDI Employee Reviews

Butt covering management
Finance team (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSWJuly 26, 2016
Bad culture. Management has an attitude of working people into the ground until they leave. Lack of vision. Not a collaborative workplace at all. Avoid if you dont like working for authoritarians.
Pros
Used to pay well
Cons
Long hours, indecisive management, weak management, high turnover of staff
productive
Mechanical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Karratha WAJuly 6, 2016
learnt new things about oil and gas. good teamwork and good supervision. salary was good as well as the location. would work for them again.
Pros
location
Cons
permits
Daily work practices
Mining Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Pilbara WAMay 7, 2016
Loading Dump Trucks at the Crusher Rom.
How to Load in a safe efficient manner.
Supervisors give you control of your work areas.
Co-Workers are willing to help out when required.
To be always striving to be better at your tasks in hand.
To succeed in any given task given to you.
Pros
Good social job
Cons
Away from home
Excellent Company
Instrumentation and Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Perth WAMarch 17, 2016
Excellent company to work for very professional and well organised setup.

I worked as a maintenance and breakdown technician with this company
N/a
Electrical Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Western AustraliaFebruary 26, 2016
Downer EDI Mining is a great company to work for, good career progression oppurtunities, good renumeration, management are helpful and approachable.
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Invercargill, SouthlandFebruary 20, 2016
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
A big company...
Quantity Traffic Surveyor (Current Employee) –  Maddington WAJanuary 30, 2016
I have been provided with a variety of opportunities over the years I have worked here. There are a lot of rules around corporate culture and we're lucky to be working for them.
Construction Worker-gofer (Former Employee) –  Cooma, NSWJanuary 17, 2016
THE BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH AND FOR
Traveling from one end of the windfarm to the other,checking sings
and garbage levels. Management and co-workers were all safety
conceious at all times. HARDEST part of the job was working out
what to do first out of daily items. Most enjoyable part of the job
was ticking things off the default list.
Pros
being able to finish early when jobs were done.
Cons
long hours at times
productive,friendly,satisfying,challenging
Rigger/Dogman (Former Employee) –  Groote Eylandt, NTJanuary 16, 2016
a typical day at work is
pre start
job allocation
sign paperwork
proceed to job and discuss task brfore commencing.
management were very good at downer as were my co workers,the job was great,safe,and structured very well.most enjoyable part was working as a team and achieving quality work
Pros
good work crew
Cons
humidity
great atmosphere
Downer Edi Spray Seal Operations (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLDNovember 22, 2015
was a excellent workplace until it closed its doors due to lack of work, would go back if they started up again.most enjoyed part was the teamwork
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New ZealandNovember 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Good Company to work for. Good Culture.
Ultra Class Truck Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BlackWaterNovember 7, 2015
Have worked under BMA with Downer Mining. Downer keeps thing simple with a lot of discipline. BMA make a lot of changes to policies and over complicates matters.

Over all I enjoy working in the mining industry I have done so with working for OEM,s and directly working for Contractors over most of my life.
good to work for
Roller operator (Former Employee) –  Port Macquarie, NSWSeptember 30, 2015
I enjoyed my time working with the staff from downers and found my co workers to be a very good assortment of workers from all walks of life.
GREAT TEAM ATMOSPHERE
ELECTRICAL TRADES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, QLDJuly 28, 2015
A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR LOCALLY AND GREAT STAFF TO MAKE YOUR DAYS AT WORK ENJOYABLE GREAT PAY AND VARIETY OF WORKS WOULD WORK FOR AGAIN
Pros
VARIETY OF WORK
Cons
NONE REALLY
FIFO
Boilermaker welder (Former Employee) –  Roy HillJuly 23, 2015
I worked FIFO on a 2/1 roster, enjoyed the job and had a good crew with plenty of variety of machinery to work on. The hardest part of the job is being away from family but on your week off you can spend all the time with them.
The professionalism and knowledge of the senior management with Downer on this project was 2nd to none.
Senior Site Office Administrator / HR & PA (Former Employee) –  Wonthaggi, VICJuly 9, 2015
Downer was able to have a major impact on this project. They reach their miles stones and their work ethics were wonderful. The atmosphere that management created in the office made every day on site enjoyable and productive.
concentrate on job, then go home
MECH FITTER (Former Employee) –  Roma, QLDMay 13, 2015
To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic.
Especially Downer , Vic.
I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other.
All management came from Geelong.
They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working.
My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people.
Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...!

Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch.
Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only.

So i had to leave early with others.
Pros
safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.
Cons
Bad work attitude
Great bunch of guys to work with. Would work with Downers again.
Scaffolder/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WAMay 1, 2015
• a typical day at work would begin by arriving by bus to our dongers. Minimum safety P.P.E on, we sign on and blow in the alcohol testing device. Put our food in the fridge. Sit down relax, chat or prepare ourselves for the shift (Fill water containers etc..) Begin pre-start with 5-10 min stretch out session. Which commonly would be led by a volunteer. Then the Pre-start would then begin with management communicating all relevant information pertaining to the jobs required. Then we would go to our supervisors and be given our specific jobs for the shift. Locking and signing onto a permit box before going to site. We would then prepare our paperwork and tools. After arriving at our specific work area., we then would fill out the required documents before we begin our task. Then we work safely together thru-out each shift. We eat and drink plenty of water. Have rest breaks if needed. Until the end of the shift. Where we make sure we unlock & sign off our permit to work box, before leaving site.

• what I learned was safety is everyone's responsibility.

• management- I felt that the majority of management was easy to get along with and they knew what they were doing.

• I met a lot of good guys that really knew there job.

• the hardest part about the job was that the job finished.

• the most enjoyable part about the job learning new skills and advancing my Rigging skills.
Pros
Decent pay, great guys to work with.
Cons
End of job, saying goodbye.
Good place to work, great workmates
Maintanance fitter (Former Employee) –  Port Augusta, SAFebruary 3, 2015
Working at Downer EDI Rail was very rewarding, I was trained in the things I needed to do then left alone and trusted to get the job done and had support from my supervisor's if required.
I acquired many new qualifications working here so that gave me the ability to perform many different tasks, so job variety was good and I enjoyed the different challenges that came my way.
It was a rather large group of people that worked here, and as I seem to get along with anyone, became a trusted and respected workmate with them all.
Well managed workplace, with good camaraderie
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Wallumbilla, QLDJanuary 11, 2015
This job is an enjoyable, interesting one with an easy going but productive vibe. To learn how the network of pipeline and compressor stations interact is eye opening. The heat in Qld can be oppressive but when well managed through appropriate rest breaks etc, is bearable.