Downer EDI Employee Reviews

Construction Worker-gofer (Former Employee) –  Cooma, NSWJanuary 17, 2016
THE BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH AND FOR
Traveling from one end of the windfarm to the other,checking sings
and garbage levels. Management and co-workers were all safety
conceious at all times. HARDEST part of the job was working out
what to do first out of daily items. Most enjoyable part of the job
was ticking things off the default list.
Pros
being able to finish early when jobs were done.
Cons
long hours at times
N/a
Electrical Maintainer (Current Employee) –  Western AustraliaFebruary 26, 2016
Downer EDI Mining is a great company to work for, good career progression oppurtunities, good renumeration, management are helpful and approachable.
productive,friendly,satisfying,challenging
Rigger/Dogman (Former Employee) –  Groote Eylandt, NTJanuary 16, 2016
a typical day at work is
pre start
job allocation
sign paperwork
proceed to job and discuss task brfore commencing.
management were very good at downer as were my co workers,the job was great,safe,and structured very well.most enjoyable part was working as a team and achieving quality work
Pros
good work crew
Cons
humidity
Butt covering management
Finance team (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSWJuly 26, 2016
Bad culture. Management has an attitude of working people into the ground until they leave. Lack of vision. Not a collaborative workplace at all. Avoid if you dont like working for authoritarians.
Pros
Used to pay well
Cons
Long hours, indecisive management, weak management, high turnover of staff
Daily work practices
Mining Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Pilbara WAMay 7, 2016
Loading Dump Trucks at the Crusher Rom.
How to Load in a safe efficient manner.
Supervisors give you control of your work areas.
Co-Workers are willing to help out when required.
To be always striving to be better at your tasks in hand.
To succeed in any given task given to you.
Pros
Good social job
Cons
Away from home
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New ZealandNovember 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
productive
Mechanical Fitter (Former Employee) –  Karratha WAJuly 6, 2016
learnt new things about oil and gas. good teamwork and good supervision. salary was good as well as the location. would work for them again.
Pros
location
Cons
permits
Excellent Company
Instrumentation and Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Perth WAMarch 17, 2016
Excellent company to work for very professional and well organised setup.

I worked as a maintenance and breakdown technician with this company
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Invercargill, SouthlandFebruary 20, 2016
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Pros
more technical trainings
Cons
more overtimes
A good company with good equipment and support.
Pre-strip haul truck operator (Former Employee) –  Moranbah, QLDSeptember 15, 2014
Shifts were 12.5hrs. As I was on a traineeship I went through a steep
learning curve and did learn a lot. It was not easy at first and re-
quired a great deal of concentration to absorb everything. I found
it all come together after about 10mths and could really then hone my skills. It was a large prestrip operation with great equipment
like the Komatsu 930E,830E and Bucyrus 4400.
Management was supportive and if advice or help was needed it was never a problem. There was some really good people working for the company from a wide diversity of backgrounds. The best part
is the people of a company and I felt Downer did well in recruiting
a people friendly work force in general.
Pros
accommodation meals and transport provided
Cons
concentrate on job, then go home
MECH FITTER (Former Employee) –  Roma, QLDMay 13, 2015
To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic.
Especially Downer , Vic.
I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other.
All management came from Geelong.
They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working.
My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people.
Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...!

Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch.
Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only.

So i had to leave early with others.
Pros
safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.
Cons
Bad work attitude
Good Company to work for. Good Culture.
Ultra Class Truck Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BlackWaterNovember 7, 2015
Have worked under BMA with Downer Mining. Downer keeps thing simple with a lot of discipline. BMA make a lot of changes to policies and over complicates matters.

Over all I enjoy working in the mining industry I have done so with working for OEM,s and directly working for Contractors over most of my life.
lousy
transport co-ordinator/purchasing officer (Current Employee) –  perthApril 9, 2013
would never recommend this company to anyone..have no respect for their workers even after being with them for 25 1/2 yrs...was told by a staff member of another department that workshop site was shutting down...management didn't even have the decency to come down and let workers know what was happening...to find out from another source in my books is an absolute disgrace....turnover of workers for this company is colossal because of their pay and work conditions...company also has a cashflow problem so there is no guarantee you even get your pay on time...have lost count of the number of times i have not been paid on time......DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WORK FOR THIS COMPANY, YOU WILL LIVE TO REGRET IT.
Pros
there is none
Cons
long hours 6 days a week
Very good company to work for , very family minded and a great culture to work in
Production Superintendent (Current Employee) –  Singleton NSWNovember 15, 2012
I am i charge of running a large Open Cut Coal operation on a 7 day roster basis 7/7 roster, I am part of the Senior Management Team and proud to say we have achieve good safe productive results for Downer EDI Mining.
My co wokers have been great to work with ver the past 4 years.
The best part of the job is to see plabns followed and come together to get posiive results for the ompany this gives me great satisfaction to see the end reults of long hours of work.
Pros
company is very flexible with me
great atmosphere
Downer Edi Spray Seal Operations (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLDNovember 22, 2015
was a excellent workplace until it closed its doors due to lack of work, would go back if they started up again.most enjoyed part was the teamwork
no reasonable adjustment or compassion or respect
operator (Former Employee) –  moranbahSeptember 20, 2013
Management were very quick to judge persons on there own personal advancement criteria without gathering all the facts if you happened to unfortunately hurt yourself on the job, the assistance received varied to the end result of being permanently injured, without a care in the world from the company so reconsider before APPLYING as I will never be the same physically at home or in a working capacity, its that simple, if u like being bullshitted to then this is a job for u.
Cons
no support just rubbish u behind your back, no matter the circumstances.
To provide support and services associated with Health, Safety and Environment matters to the Project Manager and the Project Team.
HSE&Q Coordinator (HSEQ) (Current Employee) –  Goonyella, QLDAugust 1, 2014
• Coordinate site based occupational health, safety, and environment activities to ensure the competence and well being of people, the integrity of equipment, and the safe handling of materials.
• Effective management of OHS&E.
Pros
interactingwith peolple, building raport with a variety of different people and help others achieve there goals
Cons
Was a good role with a great team to work with.
Warehouse and Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Christmas Creek MinesiteDecember 10, 2014
A good company to work for with 12hr shifts in very hot conditions. It included a lot of physical activity which kept me fit. It allowed me to be closely exposed to the maintenance side of the role and a better understanding of a tool store role also. The role itself was challenging and demanding with always juggling numerous tasks at all times whilst exercising good time management. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team members. no matter what the landscape, work load, pressure or climate, between us we always were having a laugh whilst working and that makes the role all that much better.
Pros
good financial rewards
Cons
testing conditions
top rate
OPERATOR, DOWNER EDI MINING (Current Employee) –  Coppabella, QLDApril 4, 2014
the company is great to work for. Good people and a fantastic work culture. the bosses keep us well informed about future events and strive to make it a happy work environment. look forward to going to work each day. a
Also there are training opportunities available for any who want to advance
Pros
great work enviroment
Disappointing.
Telco Provisioning (Current Employee) –  WellingtonJanuary 14, 2014
Empty promises, reactive management and token corporate gestures around health&safety (the focus is on a safe environment, they fail to consider the human element and the effect that ongoing workplace stresses have on an individual's ability to stay safe.)

They'll send you up a power pole, fully kitted out, with hard hat and safety harness... but turn a blind eye to the fact that you've been working 10hours already, the light is fading and the only break you got a chance to take that day was interrupted by dispatch dumping more work on you. Praise is lumped on those who work 7days a week.

There is no structure or system to effectively use the pool of staff available. Attempts to raise issues and seek resolution = personal attacks and a generally squeeze being applied until the individual either leaves, or otherwise shuts up. They operate on a divide and conquer principle... every employee is an island. Very poor morale.

Depression is rife. The company uses an EAP programme, to provide counselling to staff, but you'll have to fight to take leave, to make an appointment. The support starts and ends there, you take your problems to EAP and fix them there, or don't come back. No interest in creating a workplace that works for frontline staff. Sadly this means the good people move on and the ones who remain get more and more bitter.

Best viewed as a stepping stone to somewhere else or an opportunity to work ALL OF THE HOURS and save some money.
Be warned tho, you wont get the option to scale back your hours as you age/ life changes. It's all or nothing.
Pros
permanent roles, overtime rates, safety gear provided.
Cons
long hours, compulsory overtime, lack of essential resources, no support for real issues.