Downer EDI

Downer EDI Employee Reviews

productive,friendly,satisfying,challenging
Rigger/Dogman (Former Employee) –  Groote Eylandt, NTJanuary 16, 2016
a typical day at work is
pre start
job allocation
sign paperwork
proceed to job and discuss task brfore commencing.
management were very good at downer as were my co workers,the job was great,safe,and structured very well.most enjoyable part was working as a team and achieving quality work
Pros
good work crew
Cons
humidity
great atmosphere
Downer Edi Spray Seal Operations (Former Employee) –  Brisbane QLDNovember 22, 2015
was a excellent workplace until it closed its doors due to lack of work, would go back if they started up again.most enjoyed part was the teamwork
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, New ZealandNovember 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Good Company to work for. Good Culture.
Ultra Class Truck Supervisor (Current Employee) –  BlackWaterNovember 7, 2015
Have worked under BMA with Downer Mining. Downer keeps thing simple with a lot of discipline. BMA make a lot of changes to policies and over complicates matters.

Over all I enjoy working in the mining industry I have done so with working for OEM,s and directly working for Contractors over most of my life.
good to work for
Roller operator (Former Employee) –  Port Macquarie, NSWSeptember 30, 2015
I enjoyed my time working with the staff from downers and found my co workers to be a very good assortment of workers from all walks of life.
FIFO
Boilermaker welder (Former Employee) –  Roy HillJuly 23, 2015
I worked FIFO on a 2/1 roster, enjoyed the job and had a good crew with plenty of variety of machinery to work on. The hardest part of the job is being away from family but on your week off you can spend all the time with them.
concentrate on job, then go home
MECH FITTER (Former Employee) –  Roma, QLDMay 13, 2015
To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic.
Especially Downer , Vic.
I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other.
All management came from Geelong.
They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working.
My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people.
Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...!

Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch.
Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only.

So i had to leave early with others.
Pros
safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.
Cons
Bad work attitude
Great bunch of guys to work with. Would work with Downers again.
Scaffolder/Rigger (Former Employee) –  Port Hedland, WAMay 1, 2015
• a typical day at work would begin by arriving by bus to our dongers. Minimum safety P.P.E on, we sign on and blow in the alcohol testing device. Put our food in the fridge. Sit down relax, chat or prepare ourselves for the shift (Fill water containers etc..) Begin pre-start with 5-10 min stretch out session. Which commonly would be led by a volunteer. Then the Pre-start would then begin with management communicating all relevant information pertaining to the jobs required. Then we would go to our supervisors and be given our specific jobs for the shift. Locking and signing onto a permit box before going to site. We would then prepare our paperwork and tools. After arriving at our specific work area., we then would fill out the required documents before we begin our task. Then we work safely together thru-out each shift. We eat and drink plenty of water. Have rest breaks if needed. Until the end of the shift. Where we make sure we unlock & sign off our permit to work box, before leaving site.

• what I learned was safety is everyone's responsibility.

• management- I felt that the majority of management was easy to get along with and they knew what they were doing.

• I met a lot of good guys that really knew there job.

• the hardest part about the job was that the job finished.

• the most enjoyable part about the job learning new skills and advancing my Rigging skills.
Pros
Decent pay, great guys to work with.
Cons
End of job, saying goodbye.
Well managed workplace, with good camaraderie
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee) –  Wallumbilla, QLDJanuary 11, 2015
This job is an enjoyable, interesting one with an easy going but productive vibe. To learn how the network of pipeline and compressor stations interact is eye opening. The heat in Qld can be oppressive but when well managed through appropriate rest breaks etc, is bearable.
Was a good role with a great team to work with.
Warehouse and Storeperson (Current Employee) –  Christmas Creek MinesiteDecember 10, 2014
A good company to work for with 12hr shifts in very hot conditions. It included a lot of physical activity which kept me fit. It allowed me to be closely exposed to the maintenance side of the role and a better understanding of a tool store role also. The role itself was challenging and demanding with always juggling numerous tasks at all times whilst exercising good time management. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team members. no matter what the landscape, work load, pressure or climate, between us we always were having a laugh whilst working and that makes the role all that much better.
Pros
good financial rewards
Cons
testing conditions
Downer
Technician (Current Employee) –  SydneyOctober 18, 2014
One of the best companies i have worked for. Co workers really eager to help in any way they can. Hardest part of the job is BBQ every month (joking).
Pros
management
Variety of work very rewarding
Electrical Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Geelong, VICOctober 5, 2014
Being an electrical service tech usually each day would hold different challenges
I learn't to be very flexible and to think on my feet in resolving problems as I worked on my own 90% of the time and getting the client back into production was paramount.
Management was supportive approachable.
Co workers were a good group and easy going
The middle of the night call outs for break downs
The variety of work and the challenges to solve fautls
Pros
good pay rate, being able to work autominously
Cons
call outs in the middle of winter
A good company with good equipment and support.
Pre-strip haul truck operator (Former Employee) –  Moranbah, QLDSeptember 15, 2014
Shifts were 12.5hrs. As I was on a traineeship I went through a steep
learning curve and did learn a lot. It was not easy at first and re-
quired a great deal of concentration to absorb everything. I found
it all come together after about 10mths and could really then hone my skills. It was a large prestrip operation with great equipment
like the Komatsu 930E,830E and Bucyrus 4400.
Management was supportive and if advice or help was needed it was never a problem. There was some really good people working for the company from a wide diversity of backgrounds. The best part
is the people of a company and I felt Downer did well in recruiting
a people friendly work force in general.
Pros
accommodation meals and transport provided
Cons
Productive but working hard on our safety culture
Haul Pack Operator & Water Cart Operator (Current Employee) –  Christmas Creek WASeptember 4, 2014
Water cart operator is my main daily job, watering haul roads and every day clearing the work area of dust. I also drive dump truck and find the 789 is so much more comfortable

You are never to old to learn from the young or the old. As a Health and Safety Rep you are learning every day and I welcome the courses and guidance in this role. I have just completed the two day ICAM course and found it very interesting.

Management at Downer are very approachable and they are not afraid to have a chat. They never have and issue if you need a moment of their time to discuss any issues.

My co-workers are a very close and we not only enjoy each other company but we socialise out side work. We work well together and are able to have a laugh together but can also tell each other if there is and issue.

The hardest part of the job is the 2/1 roster.

I enjoy most days but the best part of my job is, as a Heath and Safety Rep I am able to learn something most days. I get to be involved with a variety of issues
Pros
learning different things
Cons
14/7 roster
No further progression and learning
Kronos Administrator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NSW 2144September 2, 2014
* quite busy in to day to day duties
* No learning any more
* Lot of changes in management
* not that much interaction
* No proper direction
* flexible working hours
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no much interaction within team and with managers
A great team of people to work with
mobile plant operator (Current Employee) –  Pilbara, WAAugust 14, 2014
I enjoy all parts of my job and get to work with some fantastic people
To provide support and services associated with Health, Safety and Environment matters to the Project Manager and the Project Team.
HSE&Q Coordinator (HSEQ) (Current Employee) –  Goonyella, QLDAugust 1, 2014
• Coordinate site based occupational health, safety, and environment activities to ensure the competence and well being of people, the integrity of equipment, and the safe handling of materials.
• Effective management of OHS&E.
Pros
interactingwith peolple, building raport with a variety of different people and help others achieve there goals
Productive and enjoyable work
Operator and Trainer Assessor (Current Employee) –  Bowen Basin, QLDJuly 17, 2014
A typical day for me is to load as many trucks as safely possible and to enjoy each shift with my work mates.
Recruitment Agecies
labourer, driver (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, SMay 16, 2014
high staff turnover, management terrible, no communication, treat temps like dirt,
Pros
hours
Cons
company
top rate
OPERATOR, DOWNER EDI MINING (Current Employee) –  Coppabella, QLDApril 4, 2014
the company is great to work for. Good people and a fantastic work culture. the bosses keep us well informed about future events and strive to make it a happy work environment. look forward to going to work each day. a
Also there are training opportunities available for any who want to advance
Pros
great work enviroment