Downer EDI

Downer EDI Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Excellent Company
Instrumentation and Electrical Technician (Former Employee), Perth WAMarch 17, 2016
Excellent company to work for very professional and well organised setup.

I worked as a maintenance and breakdown technician with this company
N/a
Electrical Maintainer (Current Employee), Western AustraliaFebruary 26, 2016
Downer EDI Mining is a great company to work for, good career progression oppurtunities, good renumeration, management are helpful and approachable.
work in site
Fibre Service Technician (Current Employee), Invercargill, SouthlandFebruary 20, 2016
Pros: more technical trainings
Cons: more overtimes
work with my fellow workers in downer i enjoy with them ,i learned how to communicate especially my english language ,i enjoyed my work in UFB installing splitters in flash 9 .work as work teamate .
Construction Worker-gofer (Former Employee), Cooma, NSWJanuary 17, 2016
Pros: being able to finish early when jobs were done.
Cons: long hours at times
THE BEST COMPANY I HAVE EVER WORKED WITH AND FOR
Traveling from one end of the windfarm to the other,checking sings
and garbage levels. Management and co-workers were all safety
conceious at all times. HARDEST part of the job was working out
what to do first out of daily items. Most enjoyable part of the job
was ticking things off the default list.
productive,friendly,satisfying,challenging
Rigger/Dogman (Former Employee), Groote Eylandt, NTJanuary 16, 2016
Pros: good work crew
Cons: humidity
a typical day at work is
pre start
job allocation
sign paperwork
proceed to job and discuss task brfore commencing.
management were very good at downer as were my co workers,the job was great,safe,and structured very well.most enjoyable part was working as a team and achieving quality work
Very organised and great management/co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee), Hamilton, New ZealandNovember 12, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working was my co-workers.
I enjoyed most days because of how my co-workers were.
Management were very organised with most things.
We were well informed with what was going on in the company and what our tasks and goals were for the week,day,month,year.
We were definitely rewarded for our work.
Good Company to work for. Good Culture.
Ultra Class Truck Supervisor (Current Employee), BlackWaterNovember 7, 2015
Have worked under BMA with Downer Mining. Downer keeps thing simple with a lot of discipline. BMA make a lot of changes to policies and over complicates matters.

Over all I enjoy working in the mining industry I have done so with working for OEM,s and directly working for Contractors over most of my life.
good to work for
Roller operator (Former Employee), Port Macquarie, NSWSeptember 30, 2015
I enjoyed my time working with the staff from downers and found my co workers to be a very good assortment of workers from all walks of life.
FIFO
Boilermaker welder (Former Employee), Roy HillJuly 23, 2015
I worked FIFO on a 2/1 roster, enjoyed the job and had a good crew with plenty of variety of machinery to work on. The hardest part of the job is being away from family but on your week off you can spend all the time with them.
concentrate on job, then go home
MECH FITTER (Former Employee), Roma, QLDMay 13, 2015
Pros: safety lady bringing ice blocks around site.
Cons: Bad work attitude
To be honest. The workman in Australia, have too many issues and bad work ethic.
Especially Downer , Vic.
I wouldnt work with them again. They seem to think their EBA, is better than any other.
All management came from Geelong.
They would rather wait for a little rain to come, instead of actually working.
My Supervisor from South Africa didnt want me too leave. But i put up with enough immature people.
Safety went out the window. The wrong flagging used when hydrotesting, if they actually put it up...!

Threats from workman, because the bledisloe cup was on, which was disputed by most people to watch.
Because they dont watch or support that sport. AFL only.

So i had to leave early with others.
Great bunch of guys to work with. Would work with Downers again.
Scaffolder/Rigger (Former Employee), Port Hedland, WAMay 1, 2015
Pros: Decent pay, great guys to work with.
Cons: End of job, saying goodbye.
• a typical day at work would begin by arriving by bus to our dongers. Minimum safety P.P.E on, we sign on and blow in the alcohol testing device. Put our food in the fridge. Sit down relax, chat or prepare ourselves for the shift (Fill water containers etc..) Begin pre-start with 5-10 min stretch out session. Which commonly would be led by a volunteer. Then the Pre-start would then begin with management communicating all relevant information pertaining to the jobs required. Then we would go to our supervisors and be given our specific jobs for the shift. Locking and signing onto a permit box before going to site. We would then prepare our paperwork and tools. After arriving at our specific work area., we then would fill out the required documents before we begin our task. Then we work safely together thru-out each shift. We eat and drink plenty of water. Have rest breaks if needed. Until the end of the shift. Where we make sure we unlock & sign off our permit to work box, before leaving site.

• what I learned was safety is everyone's responsibility.

• management- I felt that the majority of management was easy to get along with and they knew what they were doing.

• I met a lot of good guys that really knew there job.

• the hardest part about the job was that the job finished.

• the most enjoyable part about the job learning new skills and advancing my Rigging skills.
Well managed workplace, with good camaraderie
Mechanical Fitter (Current Employee), Wallumbilla, QLDJanuary 11, 2015
This job is an enjoyable, interesting one with an easy going but productive vibe. To learn how the network of pipeline and compressor stations interact is eye opening. The heat in Qld can be oppressive but when well managed through appropriate rest breaks etc, is bearable.
Was a good role with a great team to work with.
Warehouse and Storeperson (Current Employee), Christmas Creek MinesiteDecember 10, 2014
Pros: good financial rewards
Cons: testing conditions
A good company to work for with 12hr shifts in very hot conditions. It included a lot of physical activity which kept me fit. It allowed me to be closely exposed to the maintenance side of the role and a better understanding of a tool store role also. The role itself was challenging and demanding with always juggling numerous tasks at all times whilst exercising good time management. The most enjoyable part of the job was my team members. no matter what the landscape, work load, pressure or climate, between us we always were having a laugh whilst working and that makes the role all that much better.
Downer
Technician (Current Employee), SydneyOctober 18, 2014
Pros: management
One of the best companies i have worked for. Co workers really eager to help in any way they can. Hardest part of the job is BBQ every month (joking).
Variety of work very rewarding
Electrical Service Technician (Former Employee), Geelong, VICOctober 5, 2014
Pros: good pay rate, being able to work autominously
Cons: call outs in the middle of winter
Being an electrical service tech usually each day would hold different challenges
I learn't to be very flexible and to think on my feet in resolving problems as I worked on my own 90% of the time and getting the client back into production was paramount.
Management was supportive approachable.
Co workers were a good group and easy going
The middle of the night call outs for break downs
The variety of work and the challenges to solve fautls
A good company with good equipment and support.
Pre-strip haul truck operator (Former Employee), Moranbah, QLDSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: accommodation meals and transport provided
Cons: long hours
Shifts were 12.5hrs. As I was on a traineeship I went through a steep
learning curve and did learn a lot. It was not easy at first and re-
quired a great deal of concentration to absorb everything. I found
it all come together after about 10mths and could really then hone my skills. It was a large prestrip operation with great equipment
like the Komatsu 930E,830E and Bucyrus 4400.
Management was supportive and if advice or help was needed it was never a problem. There was some really good people working for the company from a wide diversity of backgrounds. The best part
is the people of a company and I felt Downer did well in recruiting
a people friendly work force in general.
Productive but working hard on our safety culture
Haul Pack Operator & Water Cart Operator (Current Employee), Christmas Creek WASeptember 4, 2014
Pros: learning different things
Cons: 14/7 roster
Water cart operator is my main daily job, watering haul roads and every day clearing the work area of dust. I also drive dump truck and find the 789 is so much more comfortable

You are never to old to learn from the young or the old. As a Health and Safety Rep you are learning every day and I welcome the courses and guidance in this role. I have just completed the two day ICAM course and found it very interesting.

Management at Downer are very approachable and they are not afraid to have a chat. They never have and issue if you need a moment of their time to discuss any issues.

My co-workers are a very close and we not only enjoy each other company but we socialise out side work. We work well together and are able to have a laugh together but can also tell each other if there is and issue.

The hardest part of the job is the 2/1 roster.

I enjoy most days but the best part of my job is, as a Heath and Safety Rep I am able to learn something most days. I get to be involved with a variety of issues
No further progression and learning
Kronos Administrator (Current Employee), Auburn, NSW 2144September 2, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: no much interaction within team and with managers
* quite busy in to day to day duties
* No learning any more
* Lot of changes in management
* not that much interaction
* No proper direction
* flexible working hours
A great team of people to work with
mobile plant operator (Current Employee), Pilbara, WAAugust 14, 2014
I enjoy all parts of my job and get to work with some fantastic people
To provide support and services associated with Health, Safety and Environment matters to the Project Manager and the Project Team.
HSE&Q Coordinator (HSEQ) (Current Employee), Goonyella, QLDAugust 1, 2014
Pros: interactingwith peolple, building raport with a variety of different people and help others achieve there goals
Cons: long hours
• Coordinate site based occupational health, safety, and environment activities to ensure the competence and well being of people, the integrity of equipment, and the safe handling of materials.
• Effective management of OHS&E.
Headquarters