Domtar Employee Reviews

Good company, good people, not much in salary though.
Inside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2014
A good company to work for but don't expect to make much in salary as it operates on very thin margin business, my wages after 10 yrs of employement actually went down as years passed, I was making less money after 10 yrs then 1st yr?? People were great, had a lot of fun. If it wasn't for low salary I'd still be there. I really enjoyed working with my manager, awesome guy...
Had to jump off the ship due to rising cost of living.
Pros
Enjoyed woking and learning from all.
Cons
Wages never rose, company rarely made profit.
Domtar - Stable environment
Analyste technique (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 December 2013
A typical day of work is answering all calls from internal clients and replying to their request and incidents via email and resolving their issues as much as possible unless it needs to be transfered to second level.

The management is ok but too severe for its own good. Being strick is a good thing but abusing it can be harmful for your employee's moral.

The team I work with is amazing, we learn from each other allot.

Moving up the ladder in this enterprise is close to impossible, they are not an IT company and it shows.
Excellent company and IT environment
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 December 2013
ILM

ECM

SAP Archiving

Sharepoint

People working at Domtar are great!
productive place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 October 2013
Friendly co-workers who are always willing to lend a helping hand.
Learned SAP software and became more familiar with Excel spreadsheets. Learned about rebate preparation.
Cons
no flexibility
Strange and bizzare place to work
electrician (Former Employee) –  espanola ontario2 August 2013
I worked here as an electrician. They rotate you through different departments every 4 months before they put you on shift. I had no problems in the first dept and enjoyed working with the people and the bosses.
When I was sent to a new dept after about 4 weeks my boss went to all my previous coworkers to see if there were any faults in me and my work. Amazingly my coworkers who I thought were my friends were overflowing in there condemnations.
In my 25yr career I have never experienced such psychological warfare. I refused to sign a very restrictive contract for my employment, and because of this was fired.
Another bizarre aspect of the company is the fact that there is a
n a z i shrine in the basement.
If you have a heart of stone and are a chameleon then this is your company. I would recommend sticking to Sudbury Jobs.
Pros
occasional gift cards given good wage
Cons
schizophrenic management style.
Great salary, very easy going job, great learning experience
Core manager, and General aid (Former Employee) –  Windsor, QC25 April 2013
Learned how to drive fork lifts, and learned the basics of team work. Co-workers are hard working people, and they expect you to be just as hard working, which is a good thing. Security is top notch, no one was hurt on the job while i was there. Cafeteria food was expensive, but its better to pack a lunch.
Pros
not very stressful, well paid.
Cons
long hours, very hot inside
people are great good place to work wish I could stay
Heavy duty mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC26 March 2013
Domtar is shutting down half of the kamlops operation and I'm getting laid off!!!
Fun workplace, great co-workers, reliable managemnet
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC25 February 2013
I very much enjoyed working at Domtar in Kamloops BC.
The hours were long and I spent most of my days outdoors under the hot BC sun, however my co-workers were very easy going and fun people to spend my days with.
The management was amazing. They made sure all their employees were happy and looked after. Every morning, we started our day with a brief discussion about how we all felt about the job, if there were any area's we could, as a team, improve on and what, if any, idea's we had that could benefit our working conditions.
Over all, one of the best job's I've had thus far.
Cons
long hours in the hot bc sun
Great place to work before the new mill "manager" arrived.
Power Engineer - 4th Class (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2013
I've been given many opportunities to learn new skills and train on new jobs. I like my supervisors and coworkers and feel like part of a team.

Sometimes, some of the jobs can be dirty or exhausting but they are not always like that. The pay is good and the company offers education incentives to anyone who wants them. There is plenty of overtime available for those who want to earn extra money but there is also plenty of time off so its fairly easy to strike a balance.

Its a unionized plant but the union and the company get along quite well so there doesn't seem to be much friction. There's lots of willingness to cooperate and overall, we enjoy a positive working environment. At least that was the case up to about a year ago when the new manager took over the mill. Now, the relationship isn't very good at all.
Pros
excellent wages, opportunities for advancement, lots of learning opportunities, positive work environment (used to be)
Cons
recent management decisions have resulted in my unemployment.
Process control through automation
Instrument Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC14 December 2012
Some scheduled preventative maintenance but mostly fire fighting at this mill. Weak management - no expectations in some departments, without accountability or followup. Inventory was limited due to standards of equipment being broadscaled. Learned to use what was available to ensure a quick fix and try to keep reliability. Enjoyed environmental monitoring equipment as well as the gas detection. Area of responsiblities included the Steam plant, air supply systems (driers), water - mill and feedwater.
Pros
freedom to work
Cons
lack of organization/expectations
Respectful and Reliable
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Cornwall, Ontario21 December 2011
The facility I was employed with has since closed. When open it was a good place to work. It employed several of my family members and alot of my community.
Usine de Windsor
Aide opérateur Lessiveur (Former Employee) –  Windsor, QC13 April 2016
En période importante de retraite/embauche depuis 3 ans;
J'ai exercé plusieurs postes au sein de Domtar-Windsor, dont 4 ans aux Ressources Humaines de la Division.
Bon emploi, mais pression importante à gérer.
Non, prendre anciens employeurs
Superviseur, facturation et support technique (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC26 March 2016
Domtar demeure une bonne entreprise. Cependant, je préfère donner mes avis avec CST Canada Co.
Entreprise avec de bonnes valeurs
Représentante service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 January 2016
Environnement convivial, acceuillant. Clients régulier ce qui rendait le travail plus agréable.

J'ai appris beaucoup sur le domaine du papier, la gestion de compte client, la négociation et la géographie canadienne.

Les manager avait une bonne technique avec leur employer, le respect était primordial.

Des collègues fort sympatique toujours prêt à aider.

Aspect difficile, d'avoir eu a quitté lorsque le département à due fermer ses portes.

Aspect agréable, l'environnement de travail.
Pros
Équipe de travail
Cons
Abolition de nos postes
Environnement de travail agréable et stimulant
Agente de sûreté (Former Employee) –  Windsor, QC1 July 2015
Les possibilitsé de développement
Les mandats de santé et sécurité au travail
La rédaction des plans d'urgence
Les formations que je donnais aux personnels en sécurité incendie et le port des appareils autonomes respiratoires
Les formations que je donnais aux entrepreneurs de la construction et la surveillance des chantiers de construction
L'inspection des équipements de protection incendie
Pros
Beaucoup de possibilité de formation et de simulation en situations d'urgence
Cons
Possibilité de progression hiérarchique limité en 1999
Environnement de travail agréable
Aide aux procédés - dpt de préparation des pâtes (Former Employee) –  Hull, QC13 October 2014
Environnement de travail agréable, gratifiant

Belle collaboration entre les équipes dans les quarts, ainsi avec la gestion.
Envirennement de travail agréable
commis de bureau (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 October 2014
- Doté d’un esprit d’équipe et possédez des habiletés à développer et à entretenir des relations positives et durables.
-Responsable, autonome et possédant un esprit d’analyse développé.
Pros
Repas gratuit
Cons
Pas d'avancement
Mon meilleur emploi pendant 10 années
Adjointe administrative,Secrétariat du Conseil (Former Employee) –  Montréal11 February 2014
J'ai pu évoluer dans un environnement de haute direction ce qui m'a permis d'acquérir un très grande expérience.
Pros
la compagnie est très axée sur les employées
Cons
de longues heures - pas toujours pratique pour la vie de famille
Sentiment d'appartenance
Analyste sénior aux payables et au fichier maître (Former Employee) –  Montreal15 January 2014
Quand on travaille chez Domtar, on ressent un fort sentiment d'appartenance.
MON EMPLOI PRÉFÉRÉ
Représentant des ventes (Former Employee) –  MONTRÉAL13 December 2012
EXCELLENTE ENVIRONNEMENT DE TRAVAIL ET LE TRAVAIL D ÉQUIPE IMPECCAPLE.
Pros
travail d équipe
Cons
fusion avec cascade (norampac)

4.2