DOMTAR

DOMTAR Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Good place to Work
Millwright (Current Employee), Dryden OntarioJanuary 5, 2015
I love my job as a millwright I have been considering finding employment in the US for many years now and have decided to try now while I am still young. I feel that Domtar has a very competitive pay scale and are very fair to the workers.
Good Place to work
Operator (Former Employee), Prescott, ONMarch 19, 2014
Work 3 shifts being able to run different machines and make good products
Domtar - Stable environment
Analyste technique (Current Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 26, 2013
A typical day of work is answering all calls from internal clients and replying to their request and incidents via email and resolving their issues as much as possible unless it needs to be transfered to second level.

The management is ok but too severe for its own good. Being strick is a good thing but abusing it can be harmful for your employee's moral.

The team I work with is amazing, we learn from each other allot.

Moving up the ladder in this enterprise is close to impossible, they are not an IT company and it shows.
Excellent company and IT environment
Project Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 9, 2013
ILM

ECM

SAP Archiving

Sharepoint

People working at Domtar are great!
Strange and bizzare place to work
electrician (Former Employee), espanola ontarioAugust 2, 2013
Pros: occasional gift cards given good wage
Cons: schizophrenic management style.
I worked here as an electrician. They rotate you through different departments every 4 months before they put you on shift. I had no problems in the first dept and enjoyed working with the people and the bosses.
When I was sent to a new dept after about 4 weeks my boss went to all my previous coworkers to see if there were any faults in me and my work. Amazingly my coworkers who I thought were my friends were overflowing in there condemnations.
In my 25yr career I have never experienced such psychological warfare. I refused to sign a very restrictive contract for my employment, and because of this was fired.
Another bizarre aspect of the company is the fact that there is a
n a z i shrine in the basement.
If you have a heart of stone and are a chameleon then this is your company. I would recommend sticking to Sudbury Jobs.
Great salary, very easy going job, great learning experience
Core manager, and General aid (Former Employee), Windsor, QCApril 25, 2013
Pros: not very stressful, well paid.
Cons: long hours, very hot inside
Learned how to drive fork lifts, and learned the basics of team work. Co-workers are hard working people, and they expect you to be just as hard working, which is a good thing. Security is top notch, no one was hurt on the job while i was there. Cafeteria food was expensive, but its better to pack a lunch.
Great place to work before the new mill "manager" arrived.
Power Engineer - 4th Class (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: excellent wages, opportunities for advancement, lots of learning opportunities, positive work environment (used to be)
Cons: recent management decisions have resulted in my unemployment.
I've been given many opportunities to learn new skills and train on new jobs. I like my supervisors and coworkers and feel like part of a team.

Sometimes, some of the jobs can be dirty or exhausting but they are not always like that. The pay is good and the company offers education incentives to anyone who wants them. There is plenty of overtime available for those who want to earn extra money but there is also plenty of time off so its fairly easy to strike a balance.

Its a unionized plant but the union and the company get along quite well so there doesn't seem to be much friction. There's lots of willingness to cooperate and overall, we enjoy a positive working environment. At least that was the case up to about a year ago when the new manager took over the mill. Now, the relationship isn't very good at all.
Respectful and Reliable
Labourer (Former Employee), Cornwall, OntarioDecember 21, 2011
The facility I was employed with has since closed. When open it was a good place to work. It employed several of my family members and alot of my community.
Great workplace! Diaper factory.
Assistant Operator (Former Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: benefits, discount off diapers, schedule, mangement.
Cons: some coworkers are never happy.
If you like the warehouse/factory setting, this job is for you. One of the nicest factories I have worked at. First, the shift was started off with a safety meeting, and we would go over numbers from the previous shift. We go out to our spots at one of the diaper lines and relieve the shift before us. My position was assistant operator A. Which was second in responsibilities right below the Team Leader. The job requirements were to be able to stand on your feet for hours, observation skills; looking for quality defects/ making adjustments. Working with tools; replace machine parts if damaged, or during changeovers. Management was constantly finding ways to strive. In productivity and safety. The coworkers were like a family, they all knew who I was and I had a good relationship with everyone of them. The hardest part of the job was standing on your feet for 12 hours. And the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with.
Good enviorment
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: having weekends off.
Cons: short breaks
Prepping rolls and having them ready to put on machine. Was able to learn how to clean and run machine. Management was well. Loved my co-workers on my line. Hardest part was trying to get machine up and running when it shut down.
ok
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCNovember 6, 2014
Domtar is a good work environment but management could be alot better.
Older industry setting
Safety Intern (Former Employee), Hawesville, KYOctober 19, 2014
More geared to the seasoned veteran employee. As for a young college graduate you will seem out of place.
Inside Sales
Inside Sales /Customer Service (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCOctober 10, 2014
Pros: good company, good training, good support
Cons: too sedentary
Domtar is a great company to work for and I have learned a lot, but sitting in front of a computer all day is something I don't want to do anymore. I would like to have more face to face interaction with customers and move around more.
Good to adequate management.Domtar tries hard to meet or compramise employee needs.Safety,quality and production are stressed as in any manufacturing
Assistant Operator. (Current Employee), Addison Ill.August 31, 2014
Pros: good management, occasional free lunches, excellent training programs, safety meetings and good communications.
Cons: rotating shifts every two weeks, heat, changing work schedules and mandatory overtime and weekend work
Busy,hot,daily safety meetings within teams.Weekly safety meetings with management and available team members.Filling out pre task forms,quality catch forms,hazard analysis forms and multipe,seemingly repetitive,forms.Cleaning and keeping work area safe.Assisting operator and other team members requiring help.

I've learned the use of tools I have never used,good troubleshooting methods,better safety methods through Safe Start program.

Good management open to any suggestions and willing to compramise in "gray areas".

As in all working situations we have differrent personalities and work ethics.We have good,adequate and bad attitudes at Domtar as well as I have seen with any company I have worked for.I choose to make my own opinion about co-workers rather than take the opinions of others about employees they may or may not like.

Rotating shifts and changing schedules are the most difficult part of the job.The heat and humidity are also unbearable at times,even in the winter.Occasionally we have mandatory weekend work which can dissrupt any plans you have made prior to your short notice.

Annual parties (on site),personal recognition for performance above and beyond,occasional lunches and informational meetings and training are second to none that I have ever experienced.The culture Domtar is trying to create is beginning to take shape in my opinion.Moral is not always great but,we do not all have the same attitudes,opinions and work ethics.
Production Planner (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCAugust 18, 2014
Managers and co-workers made this a great place to work. Enjoyed going to work.
very laid back and great people
Accounts Payable - responsible for freight bills (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCMay 19, 2014
Domtar was a very laid back and fun place nothing was ever hard or aggravating
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee), Johnsonburg, PAApril 3, 2014
Pros: team environment, compensation
Cons: watch your back
Domtar is a good company to work for. The pay is good, the company will gladly spend money if you justify the spending. They believe you have to spend money to make money. One big downfall is trust within the organization. There are a few that believe the best way to look good is to make other people look bad. If you can handle that, this is a solid place to work. There will be opportunities for advancement. There is a team environment. As mentioned, the pay is good.
Great place to work.
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Johnsonburg, PAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: the company cares about their employees and the safety of each and everyone!
Being able to part of a very strong safety environment... To have a team concept when one area is having troubles everyone steps up and helps out to get that area lined out and running smoothly again...We have the best co-workers in the industry...
Great entry level job
Material Handler (Former Employee), Washington Court House, OHJanuary 9, 2014
Great team environment, the leadership took time to train, great opportunity to make a good hourly wage with lots of opportunity for overtime
domtar
Utility-Preloader-Press Operator (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAJanuary 1, 2014
moved up in this plant was there for 10 years before they closed there doors i learned many trades like running presses preloading roll doing utility jobs like banding rolls on pallets had great co workers that were like family to me i still keep in touch with a lot of them even after they closed the doors. hardest thing of job was when the press was messing up while you work on getting to to run right

About DOMTAR

Leaving a paper trail is Domtar's business; the company is North America's #1 uncoated freesheet paper manufacturer and marketer. Some – Read more

DOMTAR Photos