DOMTAR

Operator (Former Employee), Prescott, ONMarch 19, 2014
Work 3 shifts being able to run different machines and make good products
Domtar - Stable environment
Analyste technique (Current Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 26, 2013
A typical day of work is answering all calls from internal clients and replying to their request and incidents via email and resolving their issues as much as possible unless it needs to be transfered to second level.

The management is ok but too severe for its own good. Being strick is a good thing but abusing it can be harmful for your employee's – more... moral.

The team I work with is amazing, we learn from each other allot.

Moving up the ladder in this enterprise is close to impossible, they are not an IT company and it shows. – less
Excellent company and IT environment
Project Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCDecember 9, 2013
ILM

ECM

SAP Archiving

Sharepoint

People working at Domtar are great!
Strange and bizzare place to work
electrician (Former Employee), espanola ontarioAugust 2, 2013
Pros: occasional gift cards given good wage
Cons: schizophrenic management style.
I worked here as an electrician. They rotate you through different departments every 4 months before they put you on shift. I had no problems in the first dept and enjoyed working with the people and the bosses.
When I was sent to a new dept after about 4 weeks my boss went to all my previous coworkers to see if there were any faults in me and my work. – more... Amazingly my coworkers who I thought were my friends were overflowing in there condemnations.
In my 25yr career I have never experienced such psychological warfare. I refused to sign a very restrictive contract for my employment, and because of this was fired.
Another bizarre aspect of the company is the fact that there is a
n a z i shrine in the basement.
If you have a heart of stone and are a chameleon then this is your company. I would recommend sticking to Sudbury Jobs. – less
Great salary, very easy going job, great learning experience
Core manager, and General aid (Former Employee), Windsor, QCApril 25, 2013
Pros: not very stressful, well paid.
Cons: long hours, very hot inside
Learned how to drive fork lifts, and learned the basics of team work. Co-workers are hard working people, and they expect you to be just as hard working, which is a good thing. Security is top notch, no one was hurt on the job while i was there. Cafeteria food was expensive, but its better to pack a lunch.
Great place to work before the new mill "manager" arrived.
Power Engineer - 4th Class (Former Employee), Kamloops, BCJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: excellent wages, opportunities for advancement, lots of learning opportunities, positive work environment (used to be)
Cons: recent management decisions have resulted in my unemployment.
I've been given many opportunities to learn new skills and train on new jobs. I like my supervisors and coworkers and feel like part of a team.

Sometimes, some of the jobs can be dirty or exhausting but they are not always like that. The pay is good and the company offers education incentives to anyone who wants them. There is plenty of overtime available – more... for those who want to earn extra money but there is also plenty of time off so its fairly easy to strike a balance.

Its a unionized plant but the union and the company get along quite well so there doesn't seem to be much friction. There's lots of willingness to cooperate and overall, we enjoy a positive working environment. At least that was the case up to about a year ago when the new manager took over the mill. Now, the relationship isn't very good at all. – less
very laid back and great people
Accounts Payable - responsible for freight bills (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCMay 19, 2014
Domtar was a very laid back and fun place nothing was ever hard or aggravating
Reliability Engineer (Former Employee), Johnsonburg, PAApril 3, 2014
Pros: team environment, compensation
Cons: watch your back
Domtar is a good company to work for. The pay is good, the company will gladly spend money if you justify the spending. They believe you have to spend money to make money. One big downfall is trust within the organization. There are a few that believe the best way to look good is to make other people look bad. If you can handle that, this is a solid – more... place to work. There will be opportunities for advancement. There is a team environment. As mentioned, the pay is good. – less
Great place to work.
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Johnsonburg, PAMarch 28, 2014
Pros: the company cares about their employees and the safety of each and everyone!
Being able to part of a very strong safety environment... To have a team concept when one area is having troubles everyone steps up and helps out to get that area lined out and running smoothly again...We have the best co-workers in the industry...
Great entry level job
Material Handler (Former Employee), Washington Court House, OHJanuary 9, 2014
Great team environment, the leadership took time to train, great opportunity to make a good hourly wage with lots of opportunity for overtime
domtar
Utility-Preloader-Press Operator (Former Employee), Langhorne, PAJanuary 1, 2014
moved up in this plant was there for 10 years before they closed there doors i learned many trades like running presses preloading roll doing utility jobs like banding rolls on pallets had great co workers that were like family to me i still keep in touch with a lot of them even after they closed the doors. hardest thing of job was when the press was – more... messing up while you work on getting to to run right – less
great place to work
Order Puller/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 3, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: worked a lot of overtime/they didnt have enough workers on 2nd shift
I like working here would still be down there if it was not sold
A typical day
Paper Maker (Current Employee), Johnsonburg, PASeptember 20, 2013
A hot and fast paced atmosphere, with a high demand on the employees. Although working safe is a high priority for the company as a whole. Worked as a team, with co-workers, throughout the work day. The most enjoyable part of the day is that at times, the paper I make I have a chance to load that finished product on a truck to a costumer. Giving me – more... the satisfaction of completion, and knowing that I have produced and shipped a high quality product. – less
Shift work
Papermaker (Former Employee), Ashdown, ARSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: shift work
A typical day at work included working on a hot and humid paper machine. You didn't get set breaks, but that could be a good thing if the papermachine is running right. I also learned what hard work is all about and paying attention to safety.
Good working environment with scope for learning.
SAP Functional Analyst (Current Employee), Fort Mill, SCAugust 23, 2013
Knowledge enhancement in skillset as well as business processes is encouraged.
Good pay. Horrible management
Maintenance technician (Current Employee), Kingsport tnApril 15, 2013
Pros: good pay an benefits
Cons: management that knows nothing about making a rational decision.
Domtar pays good and has good benefits. But the management is horrible. They don't let the people working on the equipment make any decisions. This is the people who sees the equipment every day. The decisions are made from the offices without even looking at the equipment. The only reason this mill is still running is because it produces too much paper – more... quantity to shut down. The quality is pathetic. And it's all managements fault. They don't care. It's pathetic. – less
Good for growth
Powerbuilder and Oracle Developer (Former Employee), Fort Mill, SCApril 2, 2013
Working with DOMTAR was fun to learn and develop new enhancements.
No diversity with current market
IT/Maintenance (Former Employee), Baileyville, MEMarch 10, 2013
Enjoyed my time there prior to a layoff with a 150 others due to losing a paper machine under a poor market yet a great product produced. Nedded better management withpeople that cared and not looking forward to retirement.
Friendly people and always think safety first.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Addison, ILJuly 26, 2012
Pros: free shirts and other give aways
Cons: short breaks
The management always emphasize the importance of the safety of all the employees. They have safety training for all.
Great Company to work for
sales servicce Rep II (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 21, 2012
Pros: the rate of pay, benefits, training, and management are great.
Cons: nothing negative to say.
Domtar has a great team and wonderful training. Management is wonderful and employees are great. The insurance benefits and rate of pay are really good. They have other incintivies as well. Everyone takes their job seriously and all employees are willign to pick up slack even in other departments.

About DOMTAR

Leaving a paper trail is Domtar's business; the company is North America's #1 uncoated freesheet paper manufacturer and marketer. Some – Read more

DOMTAR Photos