Domtar Employee Review

Domtar - Stable environment
Analyste technique (Current Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC26 December 2013
A typical day of work is answering all calls from internal clients and replying to their request and incidents via email and resolving their issues as much as possible unless it needs to be transfered to second level.

The management is ok but too severe for its own good. Being strick is a good thing but abusing it can be harmful for your employee's moral.

The team I work with is amazing, we learn from each other allot.

Moving up the ladder in this enterprise is close to impossible, they are not an IT company and it shows.

Other Domtar Employee Reviews

Not a good place, bottom line
Instrumentation Technician (Former Employee) –  Dryden, Ontario9 February 2018
Terrible union that makes up rules as they go along, old DCS technology with no sign of upgrades coming, safety is said to be a priority, but only when a lost time injury occurs, worker suggestions are quickly swept aside "because that's how we do things here"

One of the worst, most negative, counter-productive, cancerous shops I've ever had the displeasure of working in. If there were a minus Star rating, I would have given it.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Pros
Decent benefits and alright pay
Cons
Little to no OT, bad shop management, terrible shop politics, unhelpful union, negative shop atmosphere
Bare Minimum Work Enviroment
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON3 February 2018
The difference in work environment that I noticed during my 4 years was surprising. Initially upon hiring, you are required to complete a 4 month rotation though the three difference "areas" of the mill and then are placed in your permeant area. After a full year you then complete "shift training" that only lasts about 6 weeks. The training you are given is lacking and does not have much structor other than the power house portion.

During my employment Domtar asked for their employees to complete surveys that covered their opinions regarding management, their duties, workplace culture, safety etc. After completing the surveys the results were shared however nothing was every done to try and improve any of the problems.

Management spend more time trying to keep their job than actually doing their jobs. The management employees are expected to work a lot more than the required 40 hours a week and receive minimum compensation for doing so.

As a maintenance employee the hardest part of my employment there was the constant contracting out of maintenance work. The work are things that their employees are capable of completing however would required additional planning and organizing on the supervisor/planner side. The easiest way to get around that is to contract out the work and assign (in my case) the 20 electricians on site to lightbulb duty.

Working for Domtar was not all bad. The wage is decent and the benefits aren't terrible. The best part about my experience was working with the maintenance employees on the floor (welders, pipe fitters, millwrights,
  more... operators). Despite the harsh environment, most had good attitudes towards each other and across the other trades. Everyone was willing to help each other even if it wasn't "their job".

Domtar has a lot of potential, however I don't feel like their will reach it any time soon. Their goal is to teach their employees the bare minimum, provide the bare minimum, and in turn will end of with the bare minimum. The only thing I will miss are the people I worked with, but other than that resigning was the best move for me.
Pros
Decent wage/benefits
Cons
Poor work environment, high amount of safety recordables, bare minimum standards