Domtar Employee Review

Great place to work before the new mill "manager" arrived.
Power Engineer - 4th Class (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC22 January 2013
I've been given many opportunities to learn new skills and train on new jobs. I like my supervisors and coworkers and feel like part of a team.

Sometimes, some of the jobs can be dirty or exhausting but they are not always like that. The pay is good and the company offers education incentives to anyone who wants them. There is plenty of overtime available for those who want to earn extra money but there is also plenty of time off so its fairly easy to strike a balance.

Its a unionized plant but the union and the company get along quite well so there doesn't seem to be much friction. There's lots of willingness to cooperate and overall, we enjoy a positive working environment. At least that was the case up to about a year ago when the new manager took over the mill. Now, the relationship isn't very good at all.
Pros
excellent wages, opportunities for advancement, lots of learning opportunities, positive work environment (used to be)
Cons
recent management decisions have resulted in my unemployment.

Other Domtar Employee Reviews

Loved every minute
Operator /Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Thorold, ON11 December 2017
great job lots of room for advancement if you wanted it.
great guys good benefits.

shortage of work layoffs.
company being sold causing layoffs again.
Pros
working
Cons
not working
Winder operator
Winder operator (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON30 November 2017
I worked at domtar pulp and paper for 6 years and I found that it was slowly going downhill with maintenance and management,it did pay well and had good benefits but I found that it would not be a job I'd want for life.