Dominion Sportservice Employee Reviews

Not worth the time or effort
Concession Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 April 2016
Strict uniform policies in regards to hair and number and location of piercings. This was not discussed in the interview, but came up about two hours in to the training sessions. There were a number of us in the session who were disappointed and upset that we had wasted our time coming to the training when nose piercings weren't allowed (and given that this is a clearly visible piercing it should have been mentioned in the interview).

Regardless, I stuck around and was scheduled for my first shift. Fun story, there is no training and the supervisor is a really not nice person at whichever concession I was at. She was changing the cheese (for the nachos) when I walked in, so I stopped to watch in case I ever had to do that. She asked me what I was doing, so I told her I was watching. And she said "why, you'll never do it anyway", to which I assumed she meant maybe that wouldn't be my job. But then she elaborates and adds "because new people never do anything useful"... What a great start to my first shift! Nice to meet you too.

Then I was put at a cash register, asked to count my float, and that was it. Flabbergasted and stressed, I asked if I could shadow another cashier to see how things were done. I was told "if they [as in the cashiers] let you" by the supervisor. Stellar. I sought out someone who could at least show me what each button was for and explain what sizes the items come in. Some concessions only sell certain items, sizes, etc. And then they opened and expected me to serve customers. With no one beside me, no idea how the till actually operates,
  more... and a rudimentary knowledge of what products I actually had to sell.

I walked out shortly thereafter. As a positive, the HR personnel acknowledged that this was not how a shift was supposed to run and did offer to transfer me to another concession stand. But the damage was already done and there was a very bad taste left in my mouth.

If you have a very thick skin and don't mind looking like a fool while you try to figure things out your first few shifts, then perhaps you'll do fine in this job. If you expect to be treated like a human being and given common courtesy than make sure you end up with a good concession supervisor!
Pros
Cool Events, Free Uniform, Staff Parking
Cons
Everything else
Terrible managers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
This place is for anyone who wants to be treated with no respect or bullied. i worked as a cashier for over a year and enjoyed it but the new concessions manager is a bully and has no respect for anyonee he treats me and other cashiers like they are useless and stupid and is constantly yelling and screaming at people. He made so many people cry they screamed and yelled at me and then it wasnt me who did the wrong thing. they do not care about how they treat there employees as long as the busness is making $$$$$$$$$$ CHANGE YOUR MANAGERS ESPECALLY CONCESSIONS!
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Not worth the hassel
cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 December 2015
Concession managers treat their staff terribly. If you want to be treated with little to no respect for very little money than this is the company for you.
Pros
Free buffet, get to hear concerts
Cons
Low pay, bad management, few hours
Fun and exciting at every job shift
Cashier/Team Leader - Part time/Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2015
I definitely learned a lot in the fast paced environment.
The pay rate was not that good but I appreciates the good work experience I achieved working in the concessions.
Pros
Good staff morale and free buffet during the Oilers games
Cons
Long hours and low pay rate
Fun environment, not your standard 9-5
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta1 May 2015
Fun environment, many fun characters that make it an interesting day, every day. The HR office tends to be a hub of activity, excellent to hone your skills in administrative/decisive thinking/high volume recruitment. Diverse personalities to discuss issues in the HR office brings different trains of thought to each situation (definitely a pro)
Pros
Free food, concert environment, fun staff
Cons
work life balance - event schedule means some late nights unfortunately
it was a fun and an enjoyable work environment
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 April 2015
A typical day for me working there was I get to the stand I was assigned for the day and wash hands and then prepare the, help the cashiers and check on the food if low make more. I have learned quite a bit there will be people you like and people you don't like I have also come to know that there are jobs you don't like but you have suck it up sometimes and do it. my co-workers they are mostly down to earth when they are not stressed out by the customers. the hardest part about the job I would say is either doing the spoils, the cleaning, or keeping up with the food. I would say the most enjoyable part about the job is when we finally close because then no one is yelling and screaming down each others throats.
Pros
every oilers games we get free food up to the 3rd period then no more
one of the worst jobs i ever had
kitchen worker (Former Employee) –  edmonton24 April 2015
don't believe what they say to you upon being hired this company has no etiquette or proper food knowledge everything is frozen and their sous chefs are inept along with the executive chef/so called manager. if you want to be a good chef this is not the place to work.
Pros
gross lunches
Cons
co workers specifically one female sous chef
Terrible culture,no work life balance
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 May 2014
Exposed to many different aspects of HR, however there is very little support from management team. Overall co workers were friendly however the position is not worth the pay offered. Enjoyed working in an exciting work environment that is fast paced.
Pros
Free food, decent experience, benefits
Cons
no work life balance, low pay, terrible management.
Dominion sportservice is a fun place to work just not a lot of shifts
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 February 2014
A typical day at work prep per for lunch for Hockey games and concerts, Maintain sanitized environment to meet industry standard, Cashier, prepare orders to meet costumer expectation,
Cons
i work long hours
Productive and fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 February 2013
It was fun, hands on work experince. I learned food safety, self-serve.
I maintined healthly realtionships with co-workers and employers. The hardest part of the job was fast pace of job duties but after 3 days of working I kept up with the pace. The part I loved most about this job was the exciting experience to be in such a position where there was lots enthusiasiam with co-workers and guests. Concerts where my main favorite to work at.

2.9