Dominion Enterprises Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unbelievably unfair treatment
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMarch 19, 2013
Pros – It was a great job, very stressful, but if you are strong enough to tolerate the constant transitions, management changes and lack of support, a decent job.

Cons – I was fired after 7+ years for a harmless prank, having never received a verbal or written warning, in clear violation of their stated 3-strikes policy. I was top sales revenue rep for 3 years in a row of my tenure, yet Dominion denied my unemployment benefits, denied payment of 82 unused vacation hours and had my medical benefits immediately cut off. Although I was terminated, another co-worker who had made extremely crude remarks to me for over 6 months, who had been written up for sexual harassment previously, is still employed at Dominion.

Everyone is afraid for his/her job, and there has been an active policy of terminating employees and also sought to eliminate anyone on disability because they are "sucking the life out of the company."

Watch your back -- no one will stand up for injustice of terminated employees. People are promoted based on being a white male who spends an hour at the gym and another 30-45 minutes eating lunch. Coworkers who can't even get to work on time are promoted to management positions -- what a joke.

Advice to Senior Management – Stop promoting unqualified people to management positions. The Employment Guide is a sinking ship, desperate and in constant flux -- get involved in what is really going on and the people who made EG a success.

April 5, 2013

It's interesting that a top performer (as you say) would be summarily fired..in my experience that's a sign of a company mgmt that is threatened by people smarter and better than they are...and they hire to their own low levels of brains and understandings...sorry it had to happen to you..but it was a good wake up sign for me.

Improving Their Culture
Ad Operations and Technology (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 2, 2016
Pros: Some holidays off
Cons: Heavy workload with little room for promotions due to the small department
Overall, Dominion Enterprises is improving and innovating at an amazing rate when you consider who thrifty and budget-conscience the culture has been. Due to how many subsidiaries the company has, to rate DE would be unfair as each one operates as its own entity.

One of their particular subsidiaries is either one of their biggest revenue earners or possibly the biggest revenue earner. They have been close to being profitable as a subsidiary many times. Considering the high turnover rates in some of their smaller departments, the amount of resources used for on-boarding, background checks, salaries, vacations, and miscellaneous, they are constantly plagued with perpetuating new hires.

DE has been improving its company culture after a poor review from a former employee and it's evident in that the company slowly moving away from its conservative views to a semi-liberal view. This is not saying that the individuals themselves have transitioned, but the overall company culture has been now made aware that they are moving to a more liberal company.

Overall, my time at this department provided some technical work but not nearly as much as I have been accustomed in previous experiences. With that being said, I neither have bad or good feelings toward DE as a whole.
Overall a decent place to work, and I'd recommend to a friend.
REGIONAL SALES MANAGER (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 2, 2015
Pros: A lot of great people, a fun environment to work in if you consistently make your monthly sales goals, Great paid leave and benefits package, They offer numerous perks with a decent ability to move to other departments and/or advance.
Cons: There was a lot of turnaround, Many people who should have left or fired were allowed to stay longer, The sales goals were often not reasonable given the products/territory.
A lot of great people and a fun environment to work in if you consistently make your monthly sales goals. Great paid leave and benefits package. They offer numerous perks with a decent ability to move to other departments and/or advance.

While I was employed, there was a lot of turnaround, and at the same time, too many people who should have left or fired were allowed to stay longer than they should have been able to. At times, the sales goals were not reasonable with the products and territory we were given.

Management, listen to your sales staff more since they are the ones in the trenches and have a better understanding of what is going on with the team and with clients/products.
Typical Corporate Environment
Product Analyst - Website Development (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 18, 2013
Pros: very structured, good benefits
Cons: outdated hr policies
Dominion is a very typical corporate environment with strong culture and values. It is very casual and comfortable. The benefits are comparable to any other company. There are many "revolving door" type positions in sales and customer service, but there is a lot of opportunity to get promoted and work your way up to other more permanent spots if you apply yourself and stay focused on that goal. My only complaint is that I don't agree with some of the benefit policies. For example, you start with very limited vacation time (10 days for the year). All of my family lives far away, so I have to travel to see them for the holidays. The company does not automatically grant any days surrounding those holidays off (for example, the Friday after Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve), so employees like me have to give up what few days they have to travel, and never get to take an actual break/vacation. Other than small things like that, it's a great and easy place to work.
Productive and Fun work environment
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: paid vactions, free luncheons and banquets
Cons: health care, 401k, retirement program
A typical day at work will be. I will come in and rearrange my desk and cubicle from the previous day. Sign into my computer and check my email and see if i have any meetings for that day, along with any callbacks to clients, executives, or businesses. Get my work order and then sign into automatic dialer system to take calls for conferences. I learned that the job is very detailed and precised, along with being very challenging and overwhelming at times. Management was well trained and very hands on at all times. My co-workers were very friendly and easy to get along with as well as very helpful at times during tender there. the hardest part of the job was the six week training process and probation period. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with all different types of ethnic groups, business, and geographic areas of the world, With different time zones.
Could be a good company, bad management
Product Develpment (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 14, 2015
Pros: hard to get fired. if you don't want to work hard and get bad pay, great place. decent home/work life balance
Cons: bad management, no respect for it staff, treat it like mushrooms (in the dark, covered in****)
This is a company that tries very hard. Unfortunately, the people that run the company from the top can't seem to get their front line management to actually listen to them. They set good standards, but middle management does not implement. No enforcement from the top.

Stingy and cheap: They put structures in place for advancement, but the old boys network at Employment Guide, For Rent, and Homes.com mean that you won't get anywhere unless you are out partying with the boys.

If you are a woman, forget it.

Managers are immature, advanced before they are ready, and poorly paid. The directors at the top create great management training programs, but don't enforce them and don't ask for refresher training.

Someone said "hostile environment" - yes, exactly.
Digital Marketing
Regional Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 2, 2015
Pros: Two weeks vacation at start, Great Insurance, Home office
Cons: Print Deadlines
A Regional Business Development Manager in the Georgia area focusing on generating and increasing sales opportunities, building an account base and retention. Focused on the hospitality industry with a suite of products such as Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Web Development Solutions, Reputation Management Solutions and Print Media.

I joined the company a year and seven months ago to gain knowledge of the products and how they can be used to support hotels with increasing revenue & occupancy. Renewals & retention are a key component to the job, and the most difficult part of the job is locating and keeping the customer engaged. The most enjoyable part of the job is the team spirit within the region. Everyone supports one another and making the job more productive as well as fun.
Fear Management Resides hear!
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Portland, ORFebruary 27, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: poor middle management, minimal hands on training all internet driven.
The pay was very fair but the management was never satisfied with one month you're a hero, the next you better step up or you're done!
In this economy, previous home owners forced out of their homes due to job or income declines are now looking for apartments to rent. It's a landlord market which means it's difficult to convince Property Management companies that they should advertise even though they're 98%+ occupied. I've always understood quota but this company has little tolerance for show times in a commission based environment. Don't get too comfortable and keep your resume active. It's unfortunate that they don't see sales employees as trained assets that will have bad months but can't demonstrate their ability to rebound due to being terminated after only two slow months!
20 hour days
Sr. Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: Casual attire, paid parking
Cons: Poor managment, non-existent CEO, long work hours, no appreciation
20 hour days are the norm when working within the ForRent company. There is absolutely NO compensation, not even a thank you for all the overtime worked, but you are expected at your desk for your 8 hour shift.
Managers and Supervisors have their favorites that are able to call their own hours and are left alone accordingly. Manager offer no direction for the employees, only ridicule.
The "open door" policy that HR recommends is only the fast track to get an employee fired.
This company does not recognize their employees hard work and going above and beyond.
The only time you see the CEO is when he wants the employee to donate to United Way.
Dominion Enterprises was good company to work for.
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee), Norfolk, VANovember 27, 2012
Pros: the company provided online training for the workers.
Cons: they did have a good health care program
A typical day includes processing contractor and refund payments for various cities. Processing mail for the entire dept and auditing invoices for payments. Also did store fees.
I learned to process consolidated bills and audit invoices through a program called Apptricity.
Management did not hesitate to help when needed.
My co-workes were nice and friendly people.
The hardest part of the job was being laid off
The most enjoyable part was when the company took us to a Christmas Play and then lunch last year.
Never a dull moment on any given day.
Employment Guide Chicago (Former Employee), Lombard, ILJuly 16, 2013
Pros: wonderful benefits and advancement opportunities
Working for Dominion Enterprises was a very fulfilling job. Each day brought new and challenging experiences both with clients and employees. Because we were a job recruitment advertising enterprise I was honoured to work with many local and national companies. One of the most enjoyable aspects was holding up to 10 job fairs throughout each year in Milwaukee, Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Chicago areas. One of the most diverse and creative group of employees I have ever worked with who kept me on my toes.
Unfortunately, Cut-throat
Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: fast moving industry requiring to always be on your toes
Cons: management lack of appreciation for skilled employees
The work was challenging and rewarding which I attribute to the company's industry. Processes were defined but systems and associated documentation was hit-or-miss.

Management is very cut-throat so the culture is 'skeptical'.

Job Security and Advancement requires one to be rubbing elbows with Management no matter if you were skilled or knowledgable, etc.

Company uses Excel extensively allowing one to master the full functionality of the software.
Good product and concept - horrible man management
Sales Rep (Former Employee), Moorehouse DriveMarch 8, 2012
Pros: product is fairly easy to sell
Cons: lousy management team.
Could be a good place to work (and is if you are already skilled at Inside Sales and will be happy dialling for dollars for the whole of your career) if only the sales managers had any ability or cared. Sales managers and Bus Dev manager talk the talk but do nothing to back it up. It is a revolving door company in the purest sense of the term and the company/managers are happy with it that way - approx 50% of all hires are gone inside 2 months and maybe 1 in 10 will last more than 6 months.
Opportunity for advancement.
Asset Management Assistant - IT (Former Employee), Norfolk, VASeptember 16, 2012
Pros: great management, learned new skills, able to utilize the skills i obtained from my it degree
Cons: other management not honest with employees
From the skills I already had, I learned more on how to be a Marketing Coordinator when two of my departments did not have one for a while. It was very exciting, and along with my administrative duties, there were many weeks of working overtime to complete certain projects. The manager I had there was one of the best managers I ever had in my years of working.
Worst job I've ever had
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 3, 2013
Pros: pay check
Cons: poor management, poor working conditions, no advancement, ridiculous workload
Poor management, terrible products. I wouldnt recommend any of the companys services to anyone I know. Horrible working conditions with EXTREMELY slow and outdated technology combined with a ridiculous client to CSR ratio. Its impossible to give the customers what theyre paying for unless management hires more reps, which they refuse to do.
I regret taking this job every single day.
Great management and a fun place to work
National Co-op Account Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk VirginiaJanuary 10, 2012
Pros: great work life balance and great management
Cons: not a stable work environment
This is one of the best companies I have ever worked for. The pay was great, management was great,there were great co-workers and there were a lot of perks. Unfortunately the company downsized dramatically starting in 2008 when I first got hired and in 2009 I got laid off since I did not have tenure. I still keep in contact with many of my former co-workers and my manager.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAMay 12, 2014
Pros: lunch, fast computers, and break rooms on every other floor.
Cons: share desk, meetings, and parking.
Enroll publication owners into publication spaces. Call publication owners that have violated to see if they will like to buy a space on the publication rack. I learned how to create charts for meetings. Co-workers are very intelligent. The hardest part of the job was the meetings. The most enjoyable part of the job was filling paperwork.
Poorly managed and overspending management
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 19, 2012
Pros: free coffee and you're generally surrounded by nice people
Cons: management takes no accountability, has no integrity, popularity contest
Stay away. They are in process of selling company. Very high employee turnover rate. When people leave the company, their positions are not filled in a timely manner causing extra workload to everyone else as a whole. Upper management lacks experience and blows a lot of smoke.
Learning corporate america
Sales Representative and Account Manager (Current Employee), Norfolk, VADecember 28, 2011
This company is a great place to work if you are just starting to venture out into the corporate world. You're able to learn a lot through the daily operations and training sessions they provide. As with every other company hit by the recession, they had to make changes to the pay scale, which was disappointing, but understandable. In all, Dominion Enterprises is a solid company with good leadership.
Its a very good place to work and very laid back.
Call center representative (Current Employee), Clearwater, FLOctober 3, 2013
Everyday I would call about 180 -250 customers that have been to a motorcycle shop and ask them about the quality of their visit. I have learned a lot about the industry as a whole. The management team here is very understanding and everyone is a team player. Sometimes there are angry customers but that is what we are there for. I enjoy talking to everyone across the nation about the same thing.