Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

good and friendly environment
cashier and merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
it was easy working with staff .very helpful owners. the owner always helped me in learning new experiences. very good job as my first job
Pros
flexibility
Cons
Fun job that was close to home and school.
Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
I got this job from a friend in Highschool, I enjoyed it. Gave me the proper boost I needed for my experience in the workforce.
Pros
Down to Earth boss.
Cons
Late hours. (Home by 1am)
Amazing place!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Courtenay, BCJanuary 25, 2016
I was a Cashier at the one in the Driftwod mall in Courtenay and it the entire staff is so nice, and forgiving, and flexible! I should have been fired but they didn't even get mad like eer! And are super chill with me taking time off even if it's last minute
Good management and positive environment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 2, 2016
Good hours during school and positive co-workers. Learned how to handle a lot of customers. Manager was very nice and positive.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Very Repetitive
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
Pros
great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons
Store manager with superiority complex.
Cashier, Cleaning, Deposits, Returns (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 27, 2015
Great place to work, however it depends who is the manager at the location. Doing simple tasks such as taking inventory, restocking and cashier are very simple jobs. It can be easily done without an unnecessary overload of work for a short period of time. I enjoyed working there for the most part and don't mind working over time either. My co-workers were very helpful guiding me and teaching me the ropes, however once training is over you're on your own. Breaks were great time to take a minute and relax. I enjoyed making progress and finishing a task, feeling accomplished and being rewarded for it by getting paid is just one of the ways to enjoy the job.
tense and aggravating
foods stocker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCNovember 9, 2015
They give 25 hours a week to full time employees, which I got, but all the fulltime women would get more hours per week than myself. Some part time employees got more hours than I did. Every supervisor/manager is only looking out for themselves and don't care about the employee. I hated working there
Pros
nothing, this place sucks
Cons
no hours, low pay, liars in management
In this company, employees will always have things to do.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Weather it be stocking up products on the shelf, attending the aisle(s) assigned to the employee to clean, attend to customers, back up on cash register, Dollarama employees will always stay busy and time goes by quick as it gets busier and busier. As a key holder I learned to always stay on on my feet. Because sometimes there would be one management in the premises (me) to open/close the store, I would have to multi-task as a back up cashier, stocking shelves, cleaning aisle(s), attend to employees and customers, taking phone calls, doing inventories, going to the bank, and opening/closing the store. The most enjoyable part is going from one place to the next doing multi-tasking performance. Having said that, the hardest part of the job is satisfying customers' need. Customers tend to come back to return items because they changed their mind which is unacceptable due to our policy.
not somewhere i want to continue working at
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Gander, NLApril 23, 2016
co-workers are rude. i liked working with customers and i love being a cashier but the workers are bullies and so are the managers
fun work place
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
It is always busy, specially during holidays. Co-workers are very fun to work with. The only problem was the scheduling process. Other than that it's fun working there.
easy going
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Dollarama but I am looking for a place of employment to make a career. The pay for managers should be much higher depending on the store level.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
Long hours during christmas
Great place with great people
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 5, 2016
Typical day would be to arrive at work, find my own machine and start moving pallets around the factory. By the time i'm done, I pack up my stuff and go home.
Fun place to work
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONApril 19, 2016
My experience at Dollarama was awesome, I made great friends and it was pretty laid back. I learned how to deal with cash and stock and general customer services.
My Review of Dollarama
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 19, 2016
Great place to work, unfortunately boss died and new manager has cut hours Have worked at this company for almost 16 years, no chance for advancement
Fun place to work
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2016
I was the youngest person there at the time and it was nice. Everyone took me under their wing and showed me how everything worked. It was a nice place to work.
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONJanuary 13, 2016
I will miss every one of my co workers, I'm so happy Dollarama gave me a chance. I loved waking up and going to work every day because that's how amazing everyone working their is :)
Pros
Everyones positive attitude and happy workplace
Cons
Unable to transfer
Hard work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCOctober 14, 2015
The Dollarama at Harbor centre is the busiest store among all the other branches. You get to deal with a few aggressive customers in a typical day of work. I have experienced it very often that while it gets busy at the cash counters, the customers start getting impatient to wait in long line ups. Sometimes they just start yelling at the cashiers that you should have more people working at cash tills etc. My best thing is that I always stay calm during those bad times and try my best to cool down the customers by being so polite.
Cons
Not a permanent schedule, working hours are not regular
It was good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKDecember 10, 2015
My responsibilities were putting food products on the shelves and counting those in the back and shelves.
sometimes I was using ladder for putting products on shelf or in the back.I was helping to customer for finding products.
Pros
friendly team
Cons
small table for lunch
Fun people to work with
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Mont-royal, QCMarch 14, 2016
People that work there are very kind and fun. Which makes everything easier. It's a very friendly place to work. I learned that communication is the key to perform well.
fun place to work
Merchandising/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 23, 2016
good people, nice environment, lousy pay. This was a second job. Only worked part-time. Lots of logistical issues with this store
Pros
people
Cons
pay