Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
productive
cashier & stocking (Former Employee), kirkland , MontrealJuly 21, 2015
Cons: early mornings
working at the dollarama taught you a lot on how to handle many different situations and doing many different jobs inside the store , I learnt how to deal with people better and to be more social. over all the other co workers always made my job better. towards the end my manager started to feel more for me than just an employee and that is part of the reasons why I left the job. The hardest part of the job was for sure lifting all those heavy boxes all day but made you gain more muscle , but I love helping customers find what they needed to see regulars inside the store each week.
A great place to interact with customers and gain more communication skills
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 18, 2014
-being as a cashier i have learned a better way to communicate and improved my customer service skills
-i have also experienced merchandising skills while working in the aisles
-comfortable working environment, a good work relation with all the co-workers
-the difficult part is handling the boxes on daily basis and properly set them in the stock room and constantly moving up and down on the ladder
- what i enjoy the most is providing our customers a better service and help them out with anything they need
productive, fun working
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 2, 2014
Pros: intresting interacting with customers
Cons: long hours
in the morning i clock in to work and then go to my till and clean the till area i fill the bag area and count my till. i great each customer scan their items let them know about pricing . give them their right amount of change and send them away. Im friendly and poliet, never had conflict with co-workers. i use my effective communication skills to resolve any missunderstandig with co-workers and manegment. the most enjoable part of working at the dollar store was helping lower income people.
There's never a dull moment here.
Supervisor (Current Employee), SSMApril 20, 2015
As a supervisor I am responsible fro the whole store when the manager is absent. During that time I have many tasks to complete. There's always something to do, weather I am helping out on cash, reorganizing, doing my paperwork or talking to a concerned customer I am always busy. On a typical night there is stock to be taken down from the skid and organize; the pop coolers are to be filled, all the isles cleaned and faced, and returns organize/ put away. I could go on for hours of all the little things that are done in a shift, but most of all we organize the store and keep it clean.
Busy Customer Environment
Store Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2014
Usually the days do go by quickly as there is alot to do all the time, such as keeping the store tidy and clean non-stop, with a very busy customer environment. Daily Inventory, stocking shelves, or when using the cash register, greeting customers, processing payments with cash, and debit cards. Management was always very friendly, co-workers worked as a team, the days would go by smoothly if everyone did what they were delegated to do. Hardest part standing up for 8 hours a day. But the most enjoyable part was going home at the end of the day after a long hard day of work.
A typical day at dollarama
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 31, 2012
Pros: annual gifts of appreciation.
-A typical day at dollarama basically consists of processing transactions for customers.
-Cleaning around cash area (if first or second cash)
-Associates that are working on the floor normally just do pick ups and retruns of store products as well as clean and assist customers if needed.
-The job is very easy it is a great stepping stone into the work-force.
I got a lot of customer service experience from this job ranging from very good to very bad and that taught me how to handle various amount of situations in a polite and timely manner.
great manager & assistant manager :)
cashier (Current Employee), halifax nova scotiaAugust 26, 2012
Pros: great management
Cons: not enough hours for those who work hard
We are a new store soon to have our first anniversary. We have great customers and we do our best to make them feel appreciated. I came to this company out of retirement and didn't expect much but I ended up being pleasently surprised. I enjoy my job and although I don't get enough hours I do feel appreciated by my bosses. Even our regional and district managers are very nice and listen to you when you talk. So if you are looking for a job then please consider that even though it's a minimum wage job it can be a great one :)
Good for School students
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 24, 2014
Cons: rude customers
I loved my job at Dollarama. I'd go in, and either open or close the store, and then stand on the first cash for the rest of the day. I learned how to use a cash register and stock shelves neatly.

My managment and co-workers were always very friendly, although sometimes I felt intimidated and was spoken down to by one member of management.

Hardest part about the job was standing around all day, your legs would get tired, sore, and by the end of the night I often found I was miserable.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many wonderful people.
Hard work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 14, 2015
Cons: Not a permanent schedule, working hours are not regular
The Dollarama at Harbor centre is the busiest store among all the other branches. You get to deal with a few aggressive customers in a typical day of work. I have experienced it very often that while it gets busy at the cash counters, the customers start getting impatient to wait in long line ups. Sometimes they just start yelling at the cashiers that you should have more people working at cash tills etc. My best thing is that I always stay calm during those bad times and try my best to cool down the customers by being so polite.
Fast paced, high volume sales.
Manager (Former Employee), Selkirk, MBJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: fast advancement, can make a career, have great products
Cons: no balance between home and work
As a manager at Dollarama a typical day was fast paced, always had something that needed attention. The days were 9 hrs or more. The DM was always a phone call away and very helpful if help was needed. As in any retail business hiring and keeping employees was always a challenge. I would say that was the hardest part of the job. Creating a lasting working camaraderie and relationship with the staff and getting to know your customers was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Its been a learning expierience.
Store Associate and Supervisor (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 19, 2015
Pros: I had a permante amount of hours a week.
Cons: I had to work all night shifts
Putting out as much stock as I can, making sure the store is 100% full at all times. Supervise associates, helping them when they need it or answering any questions that they may have. In charge of maintaining store, doing paper work and handling money. The most enjoyable part of this job was training associates, developing their experience and helping/watching them grow. My coworkers were friendly, quite accepting and we all developed a mutual respect for one another.
A productive workplace
Store Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 2, 2015
Pros: lots of work
Cons: long hours
A typical day working at Dollarama would be stocking the shelves, working at the cash register, helping customers and cleaning the floors. I learned quickly and effectively how to use a cash register. The management tried to keep up with the customers and the employees but did not do an effective way of laying off their employees. My co-workers were either able to keep up with the work or they could not. The hardest part of the job was standing for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: not enough hours
Depending on what hours I got for the day would determine if I had a cashier shift or floor shift. If I had a cashier shift I would go to the cash area and wait for the manager or supervisor to sign me on to my till. I would count my till down, then once done I would start serving customers. I had little task to do to, like filling gum and chocolate bars and keeping the cash area clean. If I had a floor shift I would either be blocking and facing (tidying the aisles) or helping unload freight and putting the new stock on the shelves. I learned very good retail skills from this job.
Not the greatest, but it's better than most
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint Thomas, OnAugust 22, 2013
Pros: very laid back with certain key holders.
Cons: the drama that goes on.
the work that you do is very easy and can be done without much effort, but the company policies, and the manager like to play favorites and hires on too many so the people working there get hours cut. this job has taught me about working in a retail environment and how to use a cash register. the most enjoyable part of the job is putting out stock, it makes the day go by so quick, but the worst part of the job is being main cashier, and standing on uncomfortable mats for six to eight hours.
Safe and a well develop environment to strengthen one skill.
Store Assistant (Former Employee), 1450 Clark Ave W, Thornhill, ON L4J 7R5March 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch and two fifteen mins break
Cons: i work over time and saturday an sunday
By working at Dollarama I have learned how to be more organized and work well in a team environment . My hardest part of the job was learning how to stocked merchandise on shelves according to store policy. My co-workers was very reliable they assisted me with anything I needed to know or show me how to get the job don.I enjoy directing customers to item location, I enjoy designing the store for Halloween and serving the customer at counter.
A mish mash of good/bad days with some unsafe conditions and employee abuse
Customer Service/Stock/Cashier (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONMay 29, 2014
It was not a good job. But it was a job. You could work as hard as anyone and still get grief. How many hours you got each week was based on how someone felt about you personally and not based on your work ethic.

The good thing about the job was there were days where you honestly got to help someone. Helping someone with a disability to do their shopping. Showing a school teacher the best inexpensive ways to be able to make projects for her students. Having someone stop you, just to say thank you.
Not an Ideal place to work with
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 15, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: limited working hours with very high expectations
1. Start your day by receiving deliveries, reviewing all communications from top management. planning the work strategy for the day.
2. I learned new things on how to manage a store that is very diversified but limited working hours but high expectations.
3. Management is very challenging difficult to understand.
4. Uncooperative workers and undisciplined.
5. To meet the monthly target and company standards with limited hours.
6. I have not experience anything enjoyable in Dollarama.
Fun workplace
Cashier, Stocked (Current Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJanuary 16, 2013
A typical day at work is cashing out customers and helping them find whatever it is needed also we stock the shelves and do alot of cleaning.
Managment is very nice and considerate, they are also very helpful when needed.
The co-workers are polite and easy to talk to they keep you busy and make you enjoy coming to work.
The hardest part of working at Dollarama is the down time when its not very busy you need to find things to keep you busy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the customers having conversations and meeting new people, all the regulars that come in.
Productive and fun workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBAugust 31, 2013
Pros: established company
Cons: unorganized
What I have learned about my work in a day to day basis is that I enjoy encountering and seeing different kinds of people, as a cashier it enjoys me to have a long line in my lane because I enjoy my work. The management have an organized system. My co-workers are very kind and helpful. The hardest part of the job is to see customers fighting in front of you and not know how to react to their actions, and the most enjoyable part of the job is to interact fun and happy customers and know you made a good job in serving them.
Productive, clean, organized work place
Cashier (Former Employee), North Bay, ONOctober 2, 2013
Pros: everything was half off
Cons: did not have
A typical day at work would be stocking shelves, clean isles, maintain cash, work with customers that need assistance, sweep isles, mop isles, then count the tills at the end of shift. I didn't learn much from this workplace, was pretty strait forward. Management was good, I had a supervisor every shift and would work with management during the day. My co-works were young and asked a lot of questions which i didn't mind. That job wasn't hard at all. I enjoyed everything there, was a great industry to work for.
Headquarters