Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed working at this company for the most part
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2016
I liked my position with the company, kept me busy which i liked. The management could of been better, very immature. A lot of other great coworkers though
Customers made the job difficult
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 27, 2016
Often, customers would come in and make big messes with no regard to the employees who would have to clean it up afterwards. It made working there quite annoying.
Pros
Staff was nice
Cons
Careless customers often made working there difficult
fun and friendly
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONDecember 22, 2015
loved working here, the management can be hit and miss but most of mine have been good. hardest part would be some of the rude customers love how like a family the staff becomes working as a team.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
no real advancement opportunity
Entertaining
Key Holder & Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 6, 2016
This business is very fast paced, and the management is friendly. On a typical day the management and co-workers work alongside to ensure customer service and display merchandise for customer's buying habits.
My first long term job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 29, 2016
Great store to start my work history. I picked up many skills while working in Dollarama such as, helping customers find their products, sanitary maintenance, opening stores and learning to work with new people.
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 9, 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
Productive work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Port Alberni, BCJuly 30, 2016
I enjoyed working at dollarama, staff were amazing flexible hours, understanding, fast pace always had something to do was never standing around.
Pros
Love the staff, understanding, flexible hours.
Loving work environment, felt like home
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yarmouth, NSAugust 8, 2016
I loved working at Dollarama, it was probably the best first job id tell anyone to get. Got along well with the coworkers and manager, they made me work hard and made me work for what I want.
Alright job
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCJune 2, 2016
The actual work environment is quite dull and boring. You'll be spending most of the day stocking the floor with new items since the stores all seem to be understaffed.

The work itself is quite repetitive.

As a first job, it's alright.
enjoyed co-workers and position
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 13, 2016
good job with lots of different products to merchandise. had a variety of job to do every shift. Work all shifts from opening to closing with a variety of shifts. worked as a cashier and a merchandier
Work in a productive and efficient manner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2016
I work as a cashier for a majority of the time. Occasionally I will help my co-worker stock the shelves and clean the aisle at the end of my shift.
Pros
Helpful Team
Cons
No Benefits
Already done
Merchandiser/Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Midland, ONJuly 3, 2016
See previous review that I have provided regarding the company Dollarama. I have worked at 2 different stores 1 in Ottawa and 1 in Midland.
Pros
see other summary
Cons
see other summary
boring
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKAugust 3, 2016
counting money on the tills
learning new strategy how to make work job well done
co wokers are nice and giving respect
hardest part of job is closing the store
enjoyable new product to see
Pros
good breaktime
Fast paced environment, lots of grumpy people.
cashier/ customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NSOctober 7, 2015
Fast paced work environment. Constantly opening and unloading boxes. Running back and forth from cash to your aisle always. People always telling you to put more and more out on the shelves. The entire company is built around making people want to consume everything there is to offer and tricks people by calling it a dollar store. The amount of times I heard someone say "Well I really didnt need any of this but thats just what happens when you come to the dollarstore.. They should call it the 20 dollar store, or the 50 dollar store." is disgusting. Dollarama was not my strong suit thats for sure, and if you dont like grumpy people or shoving corporate product down peoples throats, then I'd say dont work here.
Pros
You get to eat the chips in the back if the customers break them open
Cons
Very long hours, all weekend shifts possible, I got them.
not what i expected
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ONAugust 18, 2016
worked during busy christmas holidays and didnt get accepted to work there afterwards . i worked hard and the co workers were very rude and unkind. its not what i look for in a work environment
productive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 6, 2016
I learned how to handle different types of customers when working a Dollarmma. I learned that dealing with complaints is not an easy task and being on the Dollarama team taught me what it means to be patient and nice to customers.
Pros
easy and laid back work
Cons
short hours
Alright place to work
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ONJune 4, 2016
Enjoyed working with the other staff...but the district manager a total B........,she had her favourite s ,not enough hours,they didn't like following the health and safety laws,not labour laws.....pay sucked
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Wages, hours
Organized and good team work
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABApril 25, 2016
Continuous learning daily. Fun and friendly staff who work well as a team together to get the job done. A typical day at Dollarama , is very fast paced with stocking, customer service and cashiering all rolled into one. The store Manager is an awesome person with good work ethics.
great place for first job
Dollarama-Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 6, 2015
I would check in and put on my apron and login into the till. The counters were somewhat small and it was hard when people brought up big items or a lot of items all at once because of the room i had to work. Nonetheless it was manageable. One other difficulty was that there was sometimes no space to put all the bags if they were too big. But it was nice working there because it was good salary for my age, kind customers and the employees and supervisors made it a very friendly and welcoming environment.
worplace
ISle owner (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 4, 2016
was a very efficient company that provided a wonderful work place and gave a great balance between work and home life and provided us with a wonderful working environmant
Pros
great hours

2.8