Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Learning Experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2015
Dollarama is perfect for a first job. Teaches you responsibility, how to deal with money and transactions. Management keeps you on your toes!
Always a fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMarch 23, 2015
Working with a team, I learned how to work with others rather than independently. I did cash every shift, and also cleaned the store. Such as, sweeping, mopping, sanitized, and cleaned windows. I had to deal with a lot of my co-workers not helping during certain shifts so that also taught me how to work independently. I enjoyed working with people, and making people happy the most about this job!
Fun and Intense
Cashier associate and restocking shelves (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 20, 2015
Every day is a fast-paced and intense, I work with great coworkers and i have a great Store Manager. It is very enjoyable.
Manager simply not giving 2 sh*ts.
Cashier (Current Employee), Laval, QCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: Easy work and friendly people
Cons: Unstable schedule, bad manager, no security system.
If it wasn't from the employees and the clientele the grading would be much worse. The work itself is simple and straightforward but the management is terrible and cutting hours is something really recurrent. Really? You have 0 hours to give? Despite many complains, the manager ignores.

What was I expecting. Dollar store.
Don't get injured
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2015
Cons: cutting of hours
Had hours slashed after injury. Training was easy. Hardest part of job was the lull points during the day. Most enjoyable was longer line-ups as it made the day pass more quickly. Friendly management and staff, easy to get along with. Learned book keeping. Typical day at work was clocking in, getting on cash, closing up afterwards, cleaning up, front facing.
yyy
Customer Service (Current Employee), Digby, NSMarch 16, 2015
great place to work, the people are great the store was great the town is great, too bad digby is not a good place to find a higher paying job
A changelling, but rewarding place to work.
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Halifax -Maritimes.March 16, 2015
Pros: you got to show how good your team could be.
Cons: you were not always shown appreciation for your effort
Your day starts with refilling inventory levels,moves to cash preparation, goes to receiving incoming shipments,continues on to cycle counts ,employee scheduling ,cleaning, inventory recovery,employee shift changes, store close & daily reporting. I learned to schedule everything accordingly to achieve the required result. Management was a mix of great to terrible. Co-workers were a mix of the good, bad & somewhere in between. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up to the layout changes as per the regional manager& district manager visits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of creating a team that always got it done.
worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: the other employees were nice
Cons: stupid and unreasonable expectations
At the dollarama i worked at i got about maybe 5 minutes of training on my first day and that was it, I was put on till, and at firs the job was fine, but after about a month or so it became too much. they started expecting me to finish 3 carts of pricing and deal with all customers and clean the till area all im the 4-5 hour shifts I got and that is ridiculous because no one is capable of doing that. and the worse part is that I was unable to take a day off when I was sick because they kept telling me that I had to come in because no one else could, and I lived the farthest away from the store. i worked overtime hours almost every week. pretty soon the management decided to give us deadlines for the jobs we had to do. and since i was on till mine was pricing and cleaning the till area and ringing customers through. the time limit they gave us wasn't enough to even finish one job, I had two hours to finish all pricing and deal with customers. 2 hours for 2-3 carts of pricing, and dealing with the customers. it became too much for me and i quit 3 months into the job. I would never recommend anyone to work at dollarama.
Great job for the people not the pay
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 10, 2015
As with most retail jobs you only make minimum wage which for long term goals isnt ideal. However I enjoyed the team setting and the work itself was very easy and enjoyable.
Safe and a well develop environment to strengthen one skill.
Store Assistant (Former Employee), 1450 Clark Ave W, Thornhill, ON L4J 7R5March 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch and two fifteen mins break
Cons: i work over time and saturday an sunday
By working at Dollarama I have learned how to be more organized and work well in a team environment . My hardest part of the job was learning how to stocked merchandise on shelves according to store policy. My co-workers was very reliable they assisted me with anything I needed to know or show me how to get the job don.I enjoy directing customers to item location, I enjoy designing the store for Halloween and serving the customer at counter.
good community
Key Holder Assistant (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: great workers
Cons: needs security, camera's or some sort
Stalk shelves, run to cash
customer service - cash - inventory - mercandising
great
wonderful
thieves
it was easy

it's a good "first" job to have in high school to build up your customer skills
It's a job, go to work, do your job, go home!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, OntarioMarch 4, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers is always entertaining
Cons: excessive paperwork counting stock daily, low hours for regular staff
Dollarama pays minimum wage for regular staff
Key holders make a little more than that, and are part time only.

Benefits are for full time employees, only medical no dental.

Assistant Managers make a little more than key holders about $12.50 an hour with full time hours, and bonuses based on making budget/target etc. effective after 1 yr of store open, and 6 months with a full time employee status (full time status starts after 3 month probationary period)

Store Managers make more with same bonus structure but with higher percent payout.

Raises for Assistant and Store managers is based on your yearly review (which takes place up to 6 months after the yr end)

They do give a x-mas bonus, it's not fantastic, but at least it's something!

They do have a pension plan that you can contribute to if you wish to do so.

They have high expectations with performance and time frames, the only computerized systems are the punch clocks, and registers. They do not have a Point Of Sale system otherwise, everything is done on paper and by fax. It is a very physically demanding job, with a lot of latter work and lifting boxes over your head consistently on a daily basis.

The best part of the job is the staff, and customers!
Great friendly environment, energetic and fun co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton ontarioMarch 3, 2015
Pros: management was very involved and taught employees well
Cons: less than 20 hours a week
I loved working at Dollarama, everything was pretty standard. I loved interacting with customers and co-workers.
A typical day would be working at the front cash register, and dealing with all the typical cashier duties and/ or stocking items and putting them out. Also at the end of each day I count the money, put the returns away in their right place, sweep and mop.
I learned better communication skills, and better customer service.
I loved the management they truly listened and cared about their employees.
My co-workers were a great team, very energetic and hardworking and over all we worked beyond efficient as a whole.
A productive workplace
Store Associate (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 2, 2015
Pros: lots of work
Cons: long hours
A typical day working at Dollarama would be stocking the shelves, working at the cash register, helping customers and cleaning the floors. I learned quickly and effectively how to use a cash register. The management tried to keep up with the customers and the employees but did not do an effective way of laying off their employees. My co-workers were either able to keep up with the work or they could not. The hardest part of the job was standing for long periods of time. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
great coworkers,like the location,managers are easy to talk too
cashier/sales associate (Current Employee), dougall locationFebruary 26, 2015
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: not enough hours
I love working here,l enjoy the atmosphere and I enjoy helping customers also the positive feedback I get from them,I like organizing the store and their product and look forward to new shipments
Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), Guelph, ONFebruary 24, 2015
Cons: not enough hours
Depending on what hours I got for the day would determine if I had a cashier shift or floor shift. If I had a cashier shift I would go to the cash area and wait for the manager or supervisor to sign me on to my till. I would count my till down, then once done I would start serving customers. I had little task to do to, like filling gum and chocolate bars and keeping the cash area clean. If I had a floor shift I would either be blocking and facing (tidying the aisles) or helping unload freight and putting the new stock on the shelves. I learned very good retail skills from this job.
Fun workplace and good environment.
Customer service, Cashier, Item Stocker, Cleaner (Current Employee), Windsor, ONFebruary 22, 2015
I learned how to work with money, I learned how to work well with my coworkers and I learned great customer service skills. Our management team is always on top of things and they're always in a good mood. The most enjoyable part of my shift is making customers happy. Normally at Dollarama, we clean up the store during the day; like put away merchandises, we count our stock, and we front face. We have someone working the tills at all times and we have back ups in case lines get long.
great expeerience but tiring
Cashier (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 20, 2015
minimal wages for sure for that kind of causal work
it was a little bit tiring but so much fun
the staff was so friendly and so nice and also the manager
Enjoyable staff
Cashier / Floor (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 19, 2015
Dollarama is a pleasant environment filled with friendly employees. You will always find those outgoing associates who make the position fun. The hardest part about the job is doing the returns. If you don't know where something belongs back on the shelves then you're going aisle to aisle searching; other than that the position is fairly simple. Most enjoyable part is communicating with everyone around you. Management is always pleasant.
Learned many different methods and creative ideas to create what I need from simple units
Cashier/ Store associate (part time job) (Former Employee), Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: making friend at work and receiving thank you cards for the great customer service
I help about at least 100 customers a day to process their purchases. I learned how to keep calm for no matter what the issue is and try my best ability to provide excellent customer service. Also, I used to be the food safety inspector such as checking the expire date and suggest how and where the food should be stored. The co-workers were almost in my age and we used to go for dinner at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part is greeting the customers and being very friendly with them. As a result of that I became very famous and received many thank you cards for the great customer service.

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more