Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
great place for first job
Dollarama-Cashier (Former Employee), Windsor, ONApril 6, 2015
I would check in and put on my apron and login into the till. The counters were somewhat small and it was hard when people brought up big items or a lot of items all at once because of the room i had to – more... work. Nonetheless it was manageable. One other difficulty was that there was sometimes no space to put all the bags if they were too big. But it was nice working there because it was good salary for my age, kind customers and the employees and supervisors made it a very friendly and welcoming environment. – less
Retail
Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKApril 3, 2015
First and only job in retail and it was another experience. Fun and energetic people to work with. Management was great. New experiences
Busy and involved workplace with encouraging and supportive staff.
cash and aisle clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaApril 2, 2015
Pros: In a shopping mall, excellent staff
Cons: Very loud, hours could be sparse
A fun and fast paced work environment with supportive management and staff.

Due to the location in a shopping mall we were always very busy with both customers and balancing stock. It was very important – more... to have very good multitasking to handle customers, stocking, and talking about plans with associates.

Dollarama taught me how to think on my feet and to appreciate the people who work on the stock side of a retail business. Due to its location we were often huge shipments of merchandise daily and it was only through the efforts of our supervisors and managers that our system worked as smoothly as it did.

At the end of the day the most difficult part of the job *and* the most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. Most of the people are strangers to you and you don't know how they're going to act toward you so it can be a guessing game. The best part of working for Dollarama was certainly getting to meet all sorts of new people every day as well as my wonderful associates but the worst part was the grumpy customers. – less
productive and busy store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), queen and brock locationApril 1, 2015
the most enjoyable part of the job was filing empty shelves,and having control of set ups,work great alone or with a team
I am an efficient person who gets effective results.
Sales Representative (Former Employee), MississaugaMarch 28, 2015
I am a team player, who can get along with anybody, I have an Irresistible charm, and can motivate people to get to the bottom line, and that means to make your company money. I am very versatile, and good at multitasking, and I work well under pressure.
A fast past environment with friendly people
Retail Associate (Current Employee), Innisfil, ONMarch 25, 2015
Pros: customers
Cons: inconsistant schedule, bad hours, drama within the workplace
The Dollarama I worked at had a team of workers that were also like a family. We all worked well together. I would go to work, break down a skid of merchandise and put out the Health and Beauty departments – more... stock. That was the aisle I was assigned to maintain. My favourite part of the job was seeing my regular customers and how happy I could make them! It got busy in there but it was an easy and enjoyable workplace. – less
Friendly environment
Skid Boy (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 24, 2015
my supervisors and co-workers provieded a healty and friendly working environment. On a typical day I start with sorting new coming inventories, then organize shelfs, and at the end of the day I also do the cleaning of the store floor.
Learning Experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 24, 2015
Dollarama is perfect for a first job. Teaches you responsibility, how to deal with money and transactions. Management keeps you on your toes!
Always a fast paced environment.
Cashier (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMarch 23, 2015
Working with a team, I learned how to work with others rather than independently. I did cash every shift, and also cleaned the store. Such as, sweeping, mopping, sanitized, and cleaned windows. I had to deal with a lot of my co-workers not helping during certain shifts so that also taught me how to work independently. I enjoyed working with people, and making people happy the most about this job!
Fun and Intense
Cashier associate and restocking shelves (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 20, 2015
Every day is a fast-paced and intense, I work with great coworkers and i have a great Store Manager. It is very enjoyable.
Manager simply not giving 2 sh*ts.
Cashier (Current Employee), Laval, QCMarch 19, 2015
Pros: Easy work and friendly people
Cons: Unstable schedule, bad manager, no security system.
If it wasn't from the employees and the clientele the grading would be much worse. The work itself is simple and straightforward but the management is terrible and cutting hours is something really recurrent. Really? You have 0 hours to give? Despite many complains, the manager ignores.

What was I expecting. Dollar store.
Don't get injured
Cashier (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMarch 16, 2015
Cons: cutting of hours
Had hours slashed after injury. Training was easy. Hardest part of job was the lull points during the day. Most enjoyable was longer line-ups as it made the day pass more quickly. Friendly management and staff, easy to get along with. Learned book keeping. Typical day at work was clocking in, getting on cash, closing up afterwards, cleaning up, front facing.
yyy
Customer Service (Current Employee), Digby, NSMarch 16, 2015
great place to work, the people are great the store was great the town is great, too bad digby is not a good place to find a higher paying job
A changelling, but rewarding place to work.
Senior Manager (Former Employee), Halifax -Maritimes.March 16, 2015
Pros: you got to show how good your team could be.
Cons: you were not always shown appreciation for your effort
Your day starts with refilling inventory levels,moves to cash preparation, goes to receiving incoming shipments,continues on to cycle counts ,employee scheduling ,cleaning, inventory recovery,employee – more... shift changes, store close & daily reporting. I learned to schedule everything accordingly to achieve the required result. Management was a mix of great to terrible. Co-workers were a mix of the good, bad & somewhere in between. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up to the layout changes as per the regional manager& district manager visits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of creating a team that always got it done. – less
worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: the other employees were nice
Cons: stupid and unreasonable expectations
At the dollarama i worked at i got about maybe 5 minutes of training on my first day and that was it, I was put on till, and at firs the job was fine, but after about a month or so it became too much. – more... they started expecting me to finish 3 carts of pricing and deal with all customers and clean the till area all im the 4-5 hour shifts I got and that is ridiculous because no one is capable of doing that. and the worse part is that I was unable to take a day off when I was sick because they kept telling me that I had to come in because no one else could, and I lived the farthest away from the store. i worked overtime hours almost every week. pretty soon the management decided to give us deadlines for the jobs we had to do. and since i was on till mine was pricing and cleaning the till area and ringing customers through. the time limit they gave us wasn't enough to even finish one job, I had two hours to finish all pricing and deal with customers. 2 hours for 2-3 carts of pricing, and dealing with the customers. it became too much for me and i quit 3 months into the job. I would never recommend anyone to work at dollarama. – less
Great job for the people not the pay
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONMarch 10, 2015
As with most retail jobs you only make minimum wage which for long term goals isnt ideal. However I enjoyed the team setting and the work itself was very easy and enjoyable.
Safe and a well develop environment to strengthen one skill.
Store Assistant (Former Employee), 1450 Clark Ave W, Thornhill, ON L4J 7R5March 9, 2015
Pros: free lunch and two fifteen mins break
Cons: i work over time and saturday an sunday
By working at Dollarama I have learned how to be more organized and work well in a team environment . My hardest part of the job was learning how to stocked merchandise on shelves according to store policy. – more... My co-workers was very reliable they assisted me with anything I needed to know or show me how to get the job don.I enjoy directing customers to item location, I enjoy designing the store for Halloween and serving the customer at counter. – less
good community
Key Holder Assistant (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONMarch 8, 2015
Pros: great workers
Cons: needs security, camera's or some sort
Stalk shelves, run to cash
customer service - cash - inventory - mercandising
great
wonderful
thieves
it was easy

it's a good "first" job to have in high school to build up your customer skills
It's a job, go to work, do your job, go home!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, OntarioMarch 4, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers is always entertaining
Cons: excessive paperwork counting stock daily, low hours for regular staff
Dollarama pays minimum wage for regular staff
Key holders make a little more than that, and are part time only.

Benefits are for full time employees, only medical no dental.

Assistant Managers make a – more... little more than key holders about $12.50 an hour with full time hours, and bonuses based on making budget/target etc. effective after 1 yr of store open, and 6 months with a full time employee status (full time status starts after 3 month probationary period)

Store Managers make more with same bonus structure but with higher percent payout.

Raises for Assistant and Store managers is based on your yearly review (which takes place up to 6 months after the yr end)

They do give a x-mas bonus, it's not fantastic, but at least it's something!

They do have a pension plan that you can contribute to if you wish to do so.

They have high expectations with performance and time frames, the only computerized systems are the punch clocks, and registers. They do not have a Point Of Sale system otherwise, everything is done on paper and by fax. It is a very physically demanding job, with a lot of latter work and lifting boxes over your head consistently on a daily basis.

The best part of the job is the staff, and customers! – less
Great friendly environment, energetic and fun co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Hamilton ontarioMarch 3, 2015
Pros: management was very involved and taught employees well
Cons: less than 20 hours a week
I loved working at Dollarama, everything was pretty standard. I loved interacting with customers and co-workers.
A typical day would be working at the front cash register, and dealing with all the typical – more... cashier duties and/ or stocking items and putting them out. Also at the end of each day I count the money, put the returns away in their right place, sweep and mop.
I learned better communication skills, and better customer service.
I loved the management they truly listened and cared about their employees.
My co-workers were a great team, very energetic and hardworking and over all we worked beyond efficient as a whole. – less
Headquarters