Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and very busy place
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCDecember 8, 2015
Typical day at work would be to count the money at the back, brings tils to the registers and then start on counts, break skids, stock, back up cashier. I learned a lot of thing being here for the past 5 years now and my co- workers are all unique and wonderful workers. Management seems to be the problem here where a lot do not get along or cause a lot of issues which creates a bad environment
Dollarama
Cashier/Stock (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONDecember 6, 2015
This is a good job for someone who is needing work.They don't give many hours and it's quite mindless work. Really awesome people; both management and fellow employees,
In this company, employees will always have things to do.
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Weather it be stocking up products on the shelf, attending the aisle(s) assigned to the employee to clean, attend to customers, back up on cash register, Dollarama employees will always stay busy and time goes by quick as it gets busier and busier. As a key holder I learned to always stay on on my feet. Because sometimes there would be one management in the premises (me) to open/close the store, I would have to multi-task as a back up cashier, stocking shelves, cleaning aisle(s), attend to employees and customers, taking phone calls, doing inventories, going to the bank, and opening/closing the store. The most enjoyable part is going from one place to the next doing multi-tasking performance. Having said that, the hardest part of the job is satisfying customers' need. Customers tend to come back to return items because they changed their mind which is unacceptable due to our policy.
Typical Workday
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONDecember 4, 2015
A typical work day is fully of customers and achieving the required tasks. You are given a list of tasks or an aisle to work in, which is to be completed, to the best of your ability, before the end of your shift. You may also be put on cash, in which case you will be called to cash in order to help process customers through the tills in order to limit their time waiting in a line. Throughout the day, you will also be helping customers to find the items that they are looking for.
Productive and fun place to work. Management was very flexible and friendly
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCNovember 23, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management, who would help you grow and develop skills and abilities. Management and supervisors were flexible
Quick paced
Supervisor/Keyholder (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLNovember 23, 2015
Open store get cash ready, great managers, hard working co-workers, long hours but great customers and location it was near home and I could walk to work.
Pros
the people
My second home!
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 19, 2015
Great management and a joyful workplace where working as a team with friendly coworkers is a asset. This is the only place where there are no obstacles or barriers that prevent your productivity and enjoyment. The flexibility of hours allows to balance work/life style resulting in complete employee satisfaction.
Pros
Great place to develop management and team work skills
Cons
Some angry customers
Fun place to work
Cashier, Stock Merchandiser, Customer Service. (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKNovember 16, 2015
I really enjoyed working here. Meet a lot of people and make so many friends. awesome staff and great manager and district manager.
Pros
fun.
Cons
none.
OK place to work
Merchandiser, cashier (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONNovember 16, 2015
Seasonal Merchandising was my main job but ran the cash as well. The girls were great to work with, always a laugh. I really enjoyed figuring out where and how to display new merchandise. The hustle and bustle of retail is something I am good at and able to keep a level head with the long check out lines and difficult customers.
Pros
shifts went quickly due to being so busy
Cons
not enough hours
Associate (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCNovember 10, 2015
Very simple work but you need more strong physical body.There was a lot variety in what I did each day. Fun work place with a supportive management not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop.
Pros
short hours
Cons
Not enough for you if you one job only
tense and aggravating
foods stocker (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCNovember 9, 2015
They give 25 hours a week to full time employees, which I got, but all the fulltime women would get more hours per week than myself. Some part time employees got more hours than I did. Every supervisor/manager is only looking out for themselves and don't care about the employee. I hated working there
Pros
nothing, this place sucks
Cons
no hours, low pay, liars in management
good people
Cashier/Stock (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKNovember 9, 2015
Hated it hours i didn't want. get told to do different things at the same time. doing other peoples jobs when they slack and don't even get in trouble for it.
Pros
good people
Cons
terrible management
Dull
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Aldergrove, BCNovember 8, 2015
Dollarama was one of the worst places I have worked.
Might've just been the location. You deal with a lot of theft as well as rude people. I've had customers make me cry. My manager hated me and made going to work very challenging
Pros
short hours
Cons
short hours, poor management.
Experience
Cashier & Stocking Items on shelves (Former Employee) –  Dollard-Des Ormeaux, QCNovember 6, 2015
A typical day at work is mostly how to deal with all type of costumers and enhancing your speed on stacking items and patience. There's wasn't much of a hard part in the job and the most enjoyable one is cashier.
Pros
Cons
Experience of dealing with all types of costumers
Ran the main cash
Cashier/Assistant Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, ABNovember 4, 2015
I enjoyed working for the company. I worked 5 to 7 hours and stocked shelves and served customer. I learned how to merchandise. As for co-worker it was team. The lifting
love interacting with the clients.
Caissiere/ Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QCNovember 3, 2015
Customers are wonderful and I have many regulars.
Most my coworkers are fun. I have a good relationship with them.
The hardest thing about my job is making sure all my tasks are done in a minimal time period for a day.
The most enjoyable thing about my job is I enjoy my customers. Some of them we are on a first name basics.
Horrible managers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONNovember 2, 2015
the employees were rude most of the time, and the person doing the schedule picked favourites and didnt give any hours to some people for weeks at a time
Cons
not enough hours, rude staff, rude customers
Cashier, Cleaning, Deposits, Returns (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCOctober 27, 2015
Great place to work, however it depends who is the manager at the location. Doing simple tasks such as taking inventory, restocking and cashier are very simple jobs. It can be easily done without an unnecessary overload of work for a short period of time. I enjoyed working there for the most part and don't mind working over time either. My co-workers were very helpful guiding me and teaching me the ropes, however once training is over you're on your own. Breaks were great time to take a minute and relax. I enjoyed making progress and finishing a task, feeling accomplished and being rewarded for it by getting paid is just one of the ways to enjoy the job.
Friendly, well - organized , team - oriented company who live up to the standards and expectations
Sale Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSOctober 26, 2015
I love it there. I love the people I work with because they are fun to be around and generally motivate me more. Every time I come in it's like coming to see friends which they kind of are, and it makes me happy and it shows when I greet customers and go about my day.

I've learned that communication is one of the most important things in any job or any aspect of life really. As well as the perks or managing time and efforts. I learned to be more personal to everyone which has made me enjoy my job as a Key Holder.

The co-workers are very understanding and tell me about themselves and I learn little things from time to time about them and their experiences which I enjoy. We also help each other and communicate very well and succeed in most goals we've been given, or at the least try our best.
The hardest part of the job was trying to do everything as perfectly and as efficiently as possible; there never seemed to be enough time to do a full day's work. It didn't help that the hours were short and so much was expected to be done.
All in all, the most frustrating thing about the job was that I always wanted to do more than the hours I was given allowed. There is always something to do.

I enjoyed many things about this job. I enjoyed my co-workers, my managers, I liked counting the money at the end of the day with my assistant Manager. It felt like a game when I had a set of items that needed space on the shelves. It was oddly satisfying to arrange a shelf so that all items were next to related items and spaced properly.
Pros
great co-workers and effort to work together and come one as a whole
Cons
shortening hours.Pay Rate
Operations Supervisor for Warehouse (Former Employee) –  MontrealOctober 22, 2015
Intense, high stress, hard workers, decent management, KPI driven,
hardest part of the job keeping the employees and workers in sync with the company's needs
Pros
Location to home
Cons
Long, long hours and weekends