Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Worked with great people but had no career advancement.
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), MontrealMarch 28, 2013
I worked at the head office as a graphic designer and as my first designer job, it was a great experience. However, there is absolutely no career growth in this department. The salary is very low and the management within the office is unprofessional. This job would be worthy of my time if the bosses appreciated the designers more than they do and offer us a salary we can actually live on.

If you're looking to get your foot in the door for some experience for a year, this is the place (most designers leave after a year or two and move on to something that is more challenging and pays better). This is not a long-term job but great for beginners.
Productive and fun workplace with good staff
Cashier (Former Employee), Kanata, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, long breaks
Cons: Long hours
Good employees and management who make you feel welcome and important in the workplace. Very helpful and understanding of errors and willing to work around your schedule. I learned how to operate a cash register and how to stock seasonal items for the store. Improved basic mathematics skill. Co-workers are fun and reliable, knowledgeable about the store and are serious when needed. The hardest part of the job was standing in the same spot for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, getting to know my co-workers and chatting with nice customers while serving them in a quick manner.
Good for School students
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Bowmanville, ONOctober 24, 2014
Cons: rude customers
I loved my job at Dollarama. I'd go in, and either open or close the store, and then stand on the first cash for the rest of the day. I learned how to use a cash register and stock shelves neatly.

My managment and co-workers were always very friendly, although sometimes I felt intimidated and was spoken down to by one member of management.

Hardest part about the job was standing around all day, your legs would get tired, sore, and by the end of the night I often found I was miserable.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting so many wonderful people.
Hard work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCOctober 14, 2015
Cons: Not a permanent schedule, working hours are not regular
The Dollarama at Harbor centre is the busiest store among all the other branches. You get to deal with a few aggressive customers in a typical day of work. I have experienced it very often that while it gets busy at the cash counters, the customers start getting impatient to wait in long line ups. Sometimes they just start yelling at the cashiers that you should have more people working at cash tills etc. My best thing is that I always stay calm during those bad times and try my best to cool down the customers by being so polite.
productive
cashier & stocking (Former Employee), kirkland , MontrealJuly 21, 2015
Cons: early mornings
working at the dollarama taught you a lot on how to handle many different situations and doing many different jobs inside the store , I learnt how to deal with people better and to be more social. over all the other co workers always made my job better. towards the end my manager started to feel more for me than just an employee and that is part of the reasons why I left the job. The hardest part of the job was for sure lifting all those heavy boxes all day but made you gain more muscle , but I love helping customers find what they needed to see regulars inside the store each week.
Great place, great experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Toronto, OnJune 5, 2015
Pros: Great culture
Cons: Hours aren't stable
I am very versatile and friendly at the workplace. I assisted others when needed and get my job done as well. Great customer service at work.

A typical day at would be first filling the drinks in the fridge, than helping on cash unless manager gives me a project, I than would merchandise or break down skids and become backup on cash. At the end of the day I would sweep and mop and also do returns and than help close the store.

Management is great. Staff are hard workers and are striving everyday to do better for their job.

Overall was a great culture and great experience from working there.
Dollarama typical day
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: quarterly bonuses
Cons: inventory counts every day
Your day starts with refilling inventory levels,moves to cash preparation, goes to receiving incoming shipments,continues on to cycle counts ,employee scheduling ,cleaning, inventory recovery,employee shift changes, store close & daily reporting. I learned to schedule everything accordingly to achieve the required result. Management was a mix of great to terrible. Co-workers were a mix of the good, bad & somewhere in between. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up to the layout changes as per the regional manager& district manager visits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of creating a team that always got it done.
TEAM WORK
Supervisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 12, 2014
Pros: great team.
Cons: too many customers, less workers
I love my work mates, they are hard working and motivated. The work place is seen like home , and as such workers care and love it like their home.When people hear "Dollarma job" , first impression is easy/simple but it is actually quite the opposite.It is not an easy job and requires a lot of patience and energy.

It is a busy store, and we have all type of customers, happy, nice, angry, rude, but at the end of the day we treat them the same. Well, unless they get to much, than we usually take measures to deal with them.over all it is a pretty good place, accompanied by great people.
Racist Manager/Inexperienced/Rude Store Manager
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: was close to home
Cons: bad management, no hours, treated like a slave
Started out with 2/3 shifts a week which quickly turned to zero. From week to week Manager would not return calls or let me know if I had any shifts. If you were not in the same "ethnic" group .. you quickly lost hours. Store Manager rude, disrespectful, no courtesy. Only old people working there so mainly the job was boring. Do not work there. Worse Manager Ever..(R)

I read all the reviews and there seems to be more bad then good reviews and the complaints are all the same. Do they teach rudeness in 'rama Management school?
Its been a learning expierience.
Store Associate and Supervisor (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 19, 2015
Pros: I had a permante amount of hours a week.
Cons: I had to work all night shifts
Putting out as much stock as I can, making sure the store is 100% full at all times. Supervise associates, helping them when they need it or answering any questions that they may have. In charge of maintaining store, doing paper work and handling money. The most enjoyable part of this job was training associates, developing their experience and helping/watching them grow. My coworkers were friendly, quite accepting and we all developed a mutual respect for one another.
There's never a dull moment here.
Supervisor (Current Employee), SSMApril 20, 2015
As a supervisor I am responsible fro the whole store when the manager is absent. During that time I have many tasks to complete. There's always something to do, weather I am helping out on cash, reorganizing, doing my paperwork or talking to a concerned customer I am always busy. On a typical night there is stock to be taken down from the skid and organize; the pop coolers are to be filled, all the isles cleaned and faced, and returns organize/ put away. I could go on for hours of all the little things that are done in a shift, but most of all we organize the store and keep it clean.
Busy Customer Environment
Store Clerk / Cashier (Former Employee), Montréal, QCJanuary 6, 2014
Usually the days do go by quickly as there is alot to do all the time, such as keeping the store tidy and clean non-stop, with a very busy customer environment. Daily Inventory, stocking shelves, or when using the cash register, greeting customers, processing payments with cash, and debit cards. Management was always very friendly, co-workers worked as a team, the days would go by smoothly if everyone did what they were delegated to do. Hardest part standing up for 8 hours a day. But the most enjoyable part was going home at the end of the day after a long hard day of work.
great manager & assistant manager :)
cashier (Current Employee), halifax nova scotiaAugust 26, 2012
Pros: great management
Cons: not enough hours for those who work hard
We are a new store soon to have our first anniversary. We have great customers and we do our best to make them feel appreciated. I came to this company out of retirement and didn't expect much but I ended up being pleasently surprised. I enjoy my job and although I don't get enough hours I do feel appreciated by my bosses. Even our regional and district managers are very nice and listen to you when you talk. So if you are looking for a job then please consider that even though it's a minimum wage job it can be a great one :)
Being a Cashier
Cashier (Current Employee), Kanata, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: Great environment
Cons: Not as busy and not much things to do so shifts feel longer
A typical day at work for me can be pretty boring specially when its a slow one, i love being on cash because i get to interact with customers and talk to them i love to make conversation with them and make there day by making them laugh half the time. i learned a lot with my job experience specially as a cashier, attitude changes everyones mood in a second i love to be enthusiastic with my coworkers and customers. i don't really have a hard part in my job but the most enjoyable is working with co workers and meeting regular customers everyday.
Fun and very outgoing place to work
Key Holder (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 7, 2014
Pros: always have something to do
Cons: poor management
I enjoy the fact that we work as a team at Dollarama, everyone tries to help everyone and go the extra mile to make the store look nice.
I feel the management could be a lot better. I love the co-workers I work with there and how they all work as a team because they feel that we are a family of workers. one of the hardest part of this job is trying to get time off and the hours and how unfair management is and how they dont like to alternate the hours with everyone and make if a fun and fair enviroment to work in. The most enjoyable part of this job is working with the public and getting to know the people I work with and how they like to work as well.
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Current Employee), Essa Road, Barrie, OnApril 1, 2014
Pros: excellent staff to work with
Cons: no break unless you work a five hour shift (15 min.), or eight hour (30 min.)
A day at work consists of a very busy shift. Excellent customer service is provided no matter how the day is going. I usually learn about one new item that the store has received. Management is very fun to work with as well as co-workers. The hardest part of the job is knowing every bar code and items that are located within the store as it has a very large inventory. The most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with all of the friendly customers by making sure their shopping experience is a good one.
A good experience with a lot of good and hard working people
Cashier (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 18, 2013
Pros: fast pace, always something to do, always have fun while working
Cons: not always the happiest environment, a lot of drama
Working at Dollarama has been a great experience for me. It has taught me great communication skills, customer service skills and problem solving skills. My work days consist of either being on cash, facing, cleaning or breaking down skids and merchandising and sometimes all of those things. At the end of the day my coworkers and I clean the store, face the store and return products back to their place. I also help to sweep and mop and sometimes help the key holders to count drops and money.
Friendly work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Waterloo, ONMarch 20, 2013
Pros: friendly work environment
Cons: management
A typical day at work at Dollarama would include filling the product in my designated aisle as well as counting stock. There is never a shortage of things to do during the day at Dollarama and I'm always busy. I like the fast paced environment and in general all staff gets along which is a big positive to working there. The one negative I have is the management and how the management at my store feels the store should be run. The hardest part of this job is dealing with upset or angry customers but the most enjoyable is that I get to meet different people everyday and be around coworkers that I like working with.
A typical day at dollarama
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 31, 2012
Pros: annual gifts of appreciation.
-A typical day at dollarama basically consists of processing transactions for customers.
-Cleaning around cash area (if first or second cash)
-Associates that are working on the floor normally just do pick ups and retruns of store products as well as clean and assist customers if needed.
-The job is very easy it is a great stepping stone into the work-force.
I got a lot of customer service experience from this job ranging from very good to very bad and that taught me how to handle various amount of situations in a polite and timely manner.
normal day of work
Store Manager (Current Employee), Bathurst, NBJanuary 12, 2014
Pros: work/ life balance
Cons: wages
My typical day at work would start with a good morning team meeting where we discussed sales, goals, memos and daily work duties. I would also address any issues with staff. After that my staff would head out to the floor to complete daily inventory and start stocking /maintaining their isles. I would gather my sales and hours for previous days, check any new memos, balance books and do paperwork as needed. After lunch I would head out to the production floor to help out. Our day is extremely busy and time flies by fast.
The hardest part of the day is keeping our shelves stocked with little amount of hours and staff and also cleaning our store.
Headquarters