Dollarama Employee Reviews

Entertaining
Key Holder & Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2016
This business is very fast paced, and the management is friendly. On a typical day the management and co-workers work alongside to ensure customer service and display merchandise for customer's buying habits.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC23 May 2016
i learned a lot about merchandising and good customer service. i become more productive and responsible. The management is very supportive and understanding. it is a fun and productive workplace. My co-workers are friendly and easy to be with, we have good teamwork.
Pros
good customer service
Cons
short hours
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 September 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.
Fun workplace as you meet new people everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 October 2016
Would just go to work for 6 hours and spend 5 hours on cash as our location was quite busy. I've learned good customer service from the fellow employees and how to remain calm during the busy hours. The hardest part of the job was that there were usually only 4 people working during the evening shift and the store was huge. We had to do the returns and clean up all by ourselves.
Summer job during high school
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB28 June 2016
Typical high school job

Small town loyal and friendly customers

Management was great

Most of the staff were nice people
No comment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  sherbrooke ouest, montreal10 July 2016
Busy work
Management learned in 2 years working time
friendly co-workers
I had to do different kind of task as an assistant manager
Good people
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB7 July 2016
The co workers were great and we had very good customer service, never had a long line up so people were happy !
Pros
Good people
Cons
Great job until the new manager came in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ON4 April 2016
I worked for Kingsville Dollarama since they opened. The job was enjoyable and the staff was great. I loved my job until the new manager came on. Job became stressful, unorganized and poorly run! I had to quit because I didn't feel like getting yelled at during work everyday anymore. Unfortunately there was no help from the district manager either. Great place to work if they get new management in there!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Poorly managed
Nice place with very little pressure
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 November 2016
It was a really nice experience, My manager was very kind and helping, never overload me with extra work. Always supportive and guiding. The store has proper kitchen for lunch and other meals. Co worker were also very kind and supportive.
Pros
Proper kitchen for dinning and breaks
Cons
Unlike many places we dont get any discount or free things from the store.
My staff was the only incentive to be there
Manager (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON1 October 2016
An uncaring company. You are just a number. Even as a manager, you are a glorified freight pusher. They do not allow managers to be managers.
Expectations off the chart...and no understanding of what associates do at store level.
Pros
Amazing associates
Cons
Low pay. Very high expections with little hours
stress free
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2016
Its fun place to work there no stress, work environment is professional and management people are approachable even the hardest of work is easy when all are working together
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2016
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
Pros
great atmosphere, great management
Cons
low hours when store isnt getting enough business
Fun working environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2016
Dollarama was a great place to build my experience in the customer service, retail industry. It's taught me a lot on how to build structure in a working environment. It being my first job I've gain skills working with cash, customers and how businesses are ran to be the best they can be.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Was only part time at that time
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC4 July 2016
Some days are very fast-paced. Co-workers are incredibly helpful and good to work with. Management is also very helpful and understanding.
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2016
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
Pros
Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons
Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2016
work as Assistant Manager .nothing to mention or comment with working with Dollarama. successful company, Typical day started by receiving products.
Pros
nothing to say or mention about dollarama
Cons
nothing to say or mention about dollarama
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
Productive and fun workplace
Manager/Supervisor-Key Holder/Merchandiser/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 August 2016
Dollarama is a growing company with many stores across Canada that offers many entry-level job opportunities in the retail sector. It offers a very fun-filled and fast-paced environment.
Horrible company to work for
Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON7 September 2016
Do not apply to work at this company. They say they value you as an employee but as soon as you need to discuss ANYTHING with them they find excuses for your complaints/worries/concerns and have no problem replacing you. Overall, Dollarama is a horrible company that could care less about their employees.

2.8