Dollarama

Dollarama Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A great place to work for part time students.
cashier/aisle owner (Former Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: easy job
Cons: not many hours from january-june
Worked at dollarama for a year and a half as a cashier and Aisle owner, must say it was the best part time job ive had, it can get very old very fast if you work a lot of hours.
work was easy
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Waterloo, ONFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: easy
Cons: bad hours
the people were friendly and the store was clean. the hours were never consistent and the pay wasn't good.
only good for a first job
part-time cashier (Former Employee), dartmouth nova scotiaFebruary 19, 2014
very crowded and busy. customers are sloppy. its not very organized. management is all over the place. very little hours and very little pay.
not very fun, didnt fit in
Key Holder (Former Employee), Terrace, BCFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: good brakes
Cons: not very fun people
getting treated badly, defiantly learned a lot working wise, my co-workers were not very nice.
A great place to interact with customers and gain more communication skills
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee), Brampton, ONFebruary 18, 2014
-being as a cashier i have learned a better way to communicate and improved my customer service skills
-i have also experienced merchandising skills while working in the aisles
-comfortable working environment, a good work relation with all the co-workers
-the difficult part is handling the boxes on daily basis and properly set them in the stock room – more... and constantly moving up and down on the ladder
- what i enjoy the most is providing our customers a better service and help them out with anything they need – less
customers are number one priority for me
Key Holder (Current Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 15, 2014
it's great to work there, trying to help the customers, trying to get your stock out, dealing with customer service providing them with our policy.
My days at work
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 13, 2014
My typical day at work is stand by the cash register all day till my shift is over. All I learned was to be on Cash. The management is new just stated. My co-workers don't even talk to me to actually get to know me expect for two of them. My hardest part of the job was when I first learn to work on cash and when I tried to stock stuff on the shelf's. – more... Not really liking it plus I hardly get any hours now ever since I got a new Manger. – less
Dallarama
Cashier (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: indoors in winters
Cons: no hours
Im a cashier I don't do much or get hours. I learn how to count money and use the Machine. my co worker are nice and friendly. The hardest part is just standing there behind the register for 5 hours. theres is no enjoyable part working there.

i just need to make money for collage over the summer months.
Busy place to work
Merchandiser/ Sales Associate (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: interesting customers
Cons: long hours
Dollarama was a busy place to work with long hours, however you got to meet the most interesting people there.
Fun workplace during busy business season
Key Holder (Former Employee), Victoria, BCFebruary 5, 2014
Cons: unstable hours
A typical day at work as a keyholder consisted of supervising associates, managing the back safe and all of the cash registers. Also maintaining store cleanliness and merchandise presentation was a must. Having expertise of store policy was also required for customer returns and exchanges.
Cashier
Customer service (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: social interaction
Worked with fellow employees, help with multiple tasks assigned. Great teamwork, equal spread of leadership
horrible workplace
Stocker, keyholder (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABFebruary 4, 2014
Cons: rumours, anti social
low salary, walking on eggshells all the time, rumours and gossip from older employees about the younger ones. a negative environment all together.
laid back but busy environment
Full Time Stock Personnel/Key Holder Days (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONFebruary 3, 2014
open the store count cash
trained for an isle within the first 6 months of being a part time employee
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), CanadaFebruary 2, 2014
great coworkers and my store had great management. job got very repetitive after a while with not much opportunity to move around
fun but poor pay scale
Associate (Former Employee), Lasalle, QCFebruary 2, 2014
Pros: interaction with public
Cons: long hours horrible pay when i was there i think i was like 50 cents over min wage
was a fun time but not worth the pay, too much expected with so little pay
was a steady job
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJanuary 30, 2014
Cons: minimum wage
i stocked shelves cleaned isles and worked cash.
it was a simple job but steady.
Fast paced, high volume sales.
Manager (Former Employee), Selkirk, MBJanuary 29, 2014
Pros: fast advancement, can make a career, have great products
Cons: no balance between home and work
As a manager at Dollarama a typical day was fast paced, always had something that needed attention. The days were 9 hrs or more. The DM was always a phone call away and very helpful if help was needed. As in any retail business hiring and keeping employees was always a challenge. I would say that was the hardest part of the job. Creating a lasting working – more... camaraderie and relationship with the staff and getting to know your customers was definitely the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Not my idea of a great place to work.
Associate (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: my co-workers were the friendliest people i have ever met
Cons: managment
A typical day of work included everything but the kitchen sink.

I learnt that customers at a dollar store can complain in multiple ways about how paying $1.00 for a 1L bottle of Pepsi is extortion.

Management was not the friendliest. For example: I quit because I got a job which offered to pay me more money and was offering me full time hours, compared – more... to the 12-14 hours a week I was getting at the dollar store. I took the job because at the time I had a 7 month old baby boy and working 12 hours a week at 10.25 was just not paying the bills. The day I told my manager, she asked me "are you really choosing you son over dollarama?" That was my deciding factor.

My co-workers were a different story though. Probably the friendliest group of individuals I have ever met. Some shifts with these certain co-workers actually made coming to work not so bad. There was never a dull moment when there were 3 people than can always make the best of any situation.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that will argue until the were purple in the face why we were a terrible company because we sold 1L bottles of Pepsi for $1.00 which is apparently extortion, and we also did not accept credit cards and that they never knew we did not accepts credit cards, when there is 1 sign on each door as you enter the building that say no cheques or credit cards accepted, and when you walk in there is another sign that also says no cheques or credit cards accepted, when you arrive at the cash register it said on the register " we do not accept credit cards or cheques"

Working with 2 co-workers specifically was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Ridiculous expectations.
Key holder (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good relationship with co-workers and manager
Cons: constantly shortening hours, insane workload on less hours, some staff refusing tasks, unrealistic goals, unsafe conditions, customers abuse the staff because of the "it's only a dollar store" attitude, hourly pay is an insult to keyholder responsibilities and duties
Dollarama does not give managers the authority they need to solve issues quickly, requiring an "escalation" procedure that takes forever to get an answer. Examples: an expired food vendor license not replaced after 6 months. Tripping hazzards not fixed after months of requesting. Requesting replacement price guns and needle guns after they break and – more... they never arrive.

Skids are precariously built in the warehouses causing employees at store level to get hurt when breaking them down, even as carefully as possible, because of badly built bases (soft, partly empty squished boxes with heavy things on top).

I've been with the company for 5 years and I've gone from 37 to 25 hours/week. I can barely keep up with bills now and I have a schedule that doesn't give me any flexibility to find another part-time to compensate, while I keep spending the same amount in transportation every week too.

On a 5 hour shift, I'm expected to put returns away in my aisle (night staff doesn't do that anymore), clean it up and do my inventory counts. This takes me about half of my shift because the aisle is always a mess (health and beauty section, where clothes are always everywhere and on the floor, particularly after a weekend). Sometimes I have to go on cash from 4-5pm, not counting the running back and forth for change, voids, customer requests and deliveries, because I'm a keyholder. This leaves me about 2 hours to work in stocking the aisle itself, with an average of 2 trolleys loaded with boxes a day.

I was away for medical leave for 3 months, came back and was not in the system. As a result, I have not been paid for my first week back STILL. Many calls to human resources and district manager have solved nothing.

We have heard that people with more than 5 years in the company will no longer get a raise, so there is no incentive to continue. Bet all the corporate still sees their raises... No opportunity for advancement either, since all we see is hours getting cut as they release another profit report.

Dollarama treats their employees with no respect. Store manager is great and understanding, but has her hands tied when the higher ups treat everyone has garbage and just want to make another million. – less
productive work place
cashier (Current Employee), winnipeg manitoba canadaJanuary 21, 2014
I am main cashier been 1 year so..learn a lot from this company. make relationship with customer and great greeters to them.
Thanks

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more

Dollarama Photos