Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Great job until the new manager came in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ONApril 4, 2016
I worked for Kingsville Dollarama since they opened. The job was enjoyable and the staff was great. I loved my job until the new manager came on. Job became stressful, unorganized and poorly run! I had to quit because I didn't feel like getting yelled at during work everyday anymore. Unfortunately there was no help from the district manager either. Great place to work if they get new management in there!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Poorly managed
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Pros
A very supportive staff
Cons
I dont think there are any Cons with the company
Freindly employees
staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 3, 2016
Enjoyable place to work with other staff members but the management is little poor other than its a fun work at!

Always meeting and greeting good customers rarely you find people upset with dollarama.
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
Pros
great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons
Store manager with superiority complex.
Fun and busy
Cashier, Customer Service, Keyholder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCApril 1, 2016
past co workers have been really fun to work with and i made so many friends! best job i had so far! I learned great team work and pretty much loved it there. just need more into security system though only tough part to work in there is not feeling secured because of thieves or people who might bring in anything that could hurt people and will have no way of knowing who it'll be because there are no camera system
Dollorama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCApril 1, 2016
I Loved working at dollorama as i was apart of a great team and personally found everyone there to be so welcoming and the odd few were very supportive and understanding. The manager at this establishment is probably the nicest person I Know and by far is one of the odd few people I can say makes a great manager.
Facing,shelving and unpacking the box
Cashier and clerical work (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2016
I work as dollarama for 5 years . I had an experience for shelving and facing. I like dollarama but it is very low salary . I was prepared to work very hard because I have great focus.
Cons
short hours
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management wasn't the greatest
Enjoyed working at this company for the most part
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2016
I liked my position with the company, kept me busy which i liked. The management could of been better, very immature. A lot of other great coworkers though
Keeps you busy when on cash.
PART-TIME SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMarch 21, 2016
The job at this place is good. It is busy most of the day but sometimes it is very slow.
I am enjoying my work there and have learned alot about being a sales associate from the people that I work with.
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
A fast-paced job that allows opportunities for decision making
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 17, 2016
I really enjoy my job as a keyholder at Dollarama because I have the autonomy to make decisions about what tasks to assign staff and how to manage the team's time to make sure everything is completed. I like the fast pace, because it makes a long shift feel short.
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
Pros
great atmosphere, great management
Cons
low hours when store isnt getting enough business
Fun people to work with
Distributor (Former Employee) –  Mont-royal, QCMarch 14, 2016
People that work there are very kind and fun. Which makes everything easier. It's a very friendly place to work. I learned that communication is the key to perform well.
Fun and a fast paced place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
When I moved to winnipeg and was job searching Dollarama was one of the top places that I wanted to work so once i handed in my resume I never gave up until I got the job and once I was hired I was the happiest girl that day and I am hoping I can find something like that with your company. The employees were and still are the friendlyest people i ever met. Will deffinately use them as a reference on this job search.
Pros
i liked everything about dollarama
Cons
everyones hours got cut
enjoyed my co workers and assisting customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCMarch 11, 2016
busy with multi tasking with various jobs such as serving customers with their orders or assisting the customer with finding what they need.also unloading carts that need to replemished shelves
Cons
no coverage for medical unless shifts where 25 hours for 6 consecutive weeks
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, QCMarch 10, 2016
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Pros
First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons
minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
good place with good people
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCMarch 6, 2016
Typical merchandising.

best part of the work was with the old staff.

people always come and go. customers are already looking before the shop even opens.
Pros
good location (inside mall), good staff.
Cons
storage space before renovation
fun being on the set up team
Merchandiser / Stock (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMarch 6, 2016
learning new things about a work place. hardest part is getting used to all stores managers and packed collage buss's to work
Pros
breaking skids and unloading trucks
Cons
traveling store to store with no explanation to the job