Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Freindly employees
staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 3, 2016
Enjoyable place to work with other staff members but the management is little poor other than its a fun work at!

Always meeting and greeting good customers rarely you find people upset with dollarama.
Has its ups and downs
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Orleans (tenth line road)April 10, 2015
My particular location had great management, but overall not the best place to work because hours available are based on sales.
Hardest part of the job was having to work open to close shifts in Xmas season - given the deals Dollarama provides things get hectic
Worst part is even as a supervisor i only got 80 cents raise.
Pros
frequent pizza lunches and coffe runs
Cons
open to close shifts every weekend for management and supervisors
amazing place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  St. Thomas, ONJune 22, 2016
love staff and my job. its a pleasure working with coustmers and everything is very well put together . a typical day at work would be fun and enjoyable. I've learned to deal with problems and be polite. I've learned where everything is in the store to help costumers.
Pros
getting breaks
Cons
need more hours
Fast paced environment, lots of grumpy people.
cashier/ customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NSOctober 7, 2015
Fast paced work environment. Constantly opening and unloading boxes. Running back and forth from cash to your aisle always. People always telling you to put more and more out on the shelves. The entire company is built around making people want to consume everything there is to offer and tricks people by calling it a dollar store. The amount of times I heard someone say "Well I really didnt need any of this but thats just what happens when you come to the dollarstore.. They should call it the 20 dollar store, or the 50 dollar store." is disgusting. Dollarama was not my strong suit thats for sure, and if you dont like grumpy people or shoving corporate product down peoples throats, then I'd say dont work here.
Pros
You get to eat the chips in the back if the customers break them open
Cons
Very long hours, all weekend shifts possible, I got them.
Stress free environment without any advancement
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 21, 2015
Graphic designer at Dollarama is most definitely the most boring job I've had over the span of my career. The pay is pretty basic without any benefits. The job is completely stress free and you'd have a good life/work balance. It's more of a production work than creative work so if you're looking to put together a portfolio and advance, it's not possible within this company. You have limited creative freedom and the upper management lacks in objective feedback. Nonetheless, it's a good place to start and the art department is managed decently.
Pros
stress free
Cons
dreadfully boring
Busy workplace with amazing co workers and managers
Part­Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMay 15, 2016
Dollarama is a fast paced environment that keeps me busy throughout my shift whether I'm on cash, stocking shelves, breaking down skids or cleaning the aisles. Most of the staff are amazing people I'm glad I've been able to meet some of them and I couldn't ask for better people to work with.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 23, 2016
i learned a lot about merchandising and good customer service. i become more productive and responsible. The management is very supportive and understanding. it is a fun and productive workplace. My co-workers are friendly and easy to be with, we have good teamwork.
Pros
good customer service
Cons
short hours
Enjoyed working at this company for the most part
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2016
I liked my position with the company, kept me busy which i liked. The management could of been better, very immature. A lot of other great coworkers though
Work is tiresome but teamwork works makes it bearable.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 1, 2016
The company is fast growing and has a lot to offer the customers with new products being introduced daily. With the cheapest price there is in the market, no wonder our company is the best! The hardest part of the job is facing thieves; which are so many.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
so much do to with less hour to work
What I learned from Dollarama.
Stocker, Cashier and Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 1, 2016
I learned how to be a good public speaker in dollarama, and it also helped me to be a good team player. The people that i work with in my store helped me to be more extroverted and to try and engage people.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Doesn't give enough hours sometimes
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 9, 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONJune 8, 2016
I've worked as a cashier and I also stocked merchandise and provided excellent costumer service, me and the co-workers worked good together, I liked how my job kept me busy and also organized. I had to leave because I didn't have enough hours.
Pros
Keeping myself busy and organzied
Cons
Less hours
Professional environment
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ONJuly 28, 2016
Cashier
Customer service skills
Stocked merchandise
Worked through holidays
Generally had the same hours each shift
Management was professional and easy to work with
Co-workers where easy to work with
Pros
Good work schedule
Cons
Change in shifts
A very basic job with decent hours and no real benefits
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Co workers are great, management always seems to be shifting and there's no real global order it seems. You have to be very fast paced cause if not they have little tolerance. It was clean.
Customers made the job difficult
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 27, 2016
Often, customers would come in and make big messes with no regard to the employees who would have to clean it up afterwards. It made working there quite annoying.
Pros
Staff was nice
Cons
Careless customers often made working there difficult
great place for first job
Dollarama-Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 6, 2015
I would check in and put on my apron and login into the till. The counters were somewhat small and it was hard when people brought up big items or a lot of items all at once because of the room i had to work. Nonetheless it was manageable. One other difficulty was that there was sometimes no space to put all the bags if they were too big. But it was nice working there because it was good salary for my age, kind customers and the employees and supervisors made it a very friendly and welcoming environment.
Great while you're in school
Deuxième assistante-gérante (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 25, 2016
Bad pay
Good co-workers
If you're a student this job is perfect for your. Great schedule.
Vacation paid during the summer.
Super Stressful
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKJanuary 27, 2016
Worked super hard because only allowed a certain amount of hours . Got paid nearly minimum wage even though worked the same as management. Some nice people but management always changing
Good for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 24, 2016
This job gives a basis on what are the daily tasks in customer service. You learn how to be a cashier, a clerk, how to place products, and constantly learn a different routine for the same tasks, as managers and staff often change.
Organized and good team work
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABApril 25, 2016
Continuous learning daily. Fun and friendly staff who work well as a team together to get the job done. A typical day at Dollarama , is very fast paced with stocking, customer service and cashiering all rolled into one. The store Manager is an awesome person with good work ethics.

2.8