Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,076 reviews matching the search
Isn't great.
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2017
Management is horrible, the way they treat their employees isn't the best at all, they cut hours when they don't make enough money for the store and doing that causes employees to quit, and are forced to find a second job- new job.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
The worst hours.
Not a place to work
Forecast Analyst (Former Employee) –  montreal24 February 2017
Not a good place to work. Low salary and no recognition.
I was happy when I left . I remember even paying for my coffee.
They make so much money but when it comes to staff bonuses it was almost nothing.

Top management including HR are all very arrogant.
it was good to work money wise but work life culture is screwed up there
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC15 March 2017
i think if i had better management in starting things could be better and they saisd about supporting immigration and when i ask for papers they stepped back. so kinda not trust worthuy company
A typical day at work
Customer Service Associated (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 February 2017
A normal day is full of customers. Lots of merchandise to perform try to clean all the lines to fill all the empty places. The main objective is to be able to leave all the lines full. To be able to count the merchandise daily
Pros
Work
Cons
Work
Productive, learn many new skills, also include fun
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
I have learned many things, how to deal with customers and their problems, guidance. I have learn many merchandising methods. I have learned responsibilities of key holder.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
Not as such
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
A dollar away (a dollarama review)
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC20 January 2017
Everything at Dollarama was pretty easy going. We didn't have a spicified uniform other then a small apron, in which you carried your tools. I mostly work as a cashier during my time over there, with some stockage from time to time. The days were never too long, since we always had something to do. Either you had to put things on the shelves, or you had to take care of customers. Although at he end of the day, the customers made or broke your day.

Dollarma was actually my first cashier job. It was frustrating at first, since I was doing mistakes left and right. Although over the course of a hour I was able to get it down. My manager would always be happy to help with a smile, which made me wanna work harder and better too make her proud.

The hardest part about working would have been the angry customers, but eventually you learn how to hold your ground. But the ironic part was that the best part of the job were also the customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough complexity
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
good for those who are starting out
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2017
I learned cash
stocking shelves
seasonal associate, so mainly did Christmas and helping out in the Christmas isles
management was changing, but I'd say they are alright
hardest part of job... not always having a 15 minute break
Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
Not a bad place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 March 2017
Worked with a pretty good team. Was very busy between cash and stocking shelves. But most of us worked together to accomplish what needed to be done.
Pros
worked with a pretty good team
Cons
location wasn't very good
My first job as a cashier
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 January 2017
Wonderful work place, with great staff and management.
I learned how to manage my time for maximum productivity, and how to interact with the public in a professional environment.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours
fun job, nice co workers,,
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 March 2017
Is a good Job to start in a customer service area, and you know lots of people, th eonly thing didn;t like too much standing for long hours, and the Manager did not have patience to employees or customers.
Pros
easy job
Cons
too much standing
Treat you like cattle
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WINDSOR,ON4 October 2016
THEY PERFORM TEDIOUS, RIDICULOUS, TIME CONSUMING, cycle counts daily. Counting thousands of candy, chocolate bars that are neatly stacked (which have to be unstacked to count) and are in MULTIPLE locations.

Managements only concern is the amount of product they force you to put out.

The pay does not equal the amount of work you perform. Not only are you required to get a TON of merchandise out but you are constantly interrupted by having to go on cash 15-30 times a day.

And then there are staff meetings-pointless, babbling on and on about who is not performing, who needs to work faster, who left what where, etc.......which they just said two days prior.

The staff are all miserable, they treat the merchandisers like cattle, the team-lead, key holders get a few extra cents but loads more work.

If you want a LOSER JOB--APPLY NOW.
Pros
SEE ABOVE
Cons
TOO MANY TO MENTION
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 March 2017
at Dollarama, all days were a typical day because there was several customers during the day. I had learned how work faster and made people or customers happy. Also, I learned how work well under pressure and multi-task.
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 September 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.
productive workplace great people too work with
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 March 2017
stocking shelves, helping customers find products breaking down skids and doing on cash, the most enjoyable part of my job is the people i work with..
Pros
great people to work with

2.8