Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,324 reviews matching the search
Wouldn't recommend
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario17 July 2017
This is a great job for students or retirees. I wouldn't recommend for anyone in between. Management puts a lot of pressure and blame on us little people. The pay is way too small for the amount of work that is required. Things are constantly changing which makes it next to impossible to catch up especially after returning from a day off.
Pros
Shift goes by fast
Cons
Terrible pay, long hours, impossible expectations, mixed signals from management, etc etc etc
Productive Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS16 July 2017
I learner how to merchandise
work 5 hrs a day, merchandising, and being on cash
Co-workers were nice to work with
Managers and supervisors wernt that well organized
most enjoyable part of the job was being around different people every day
Pros
N/a
Cons
Dont get paid enough for the type of work they expect from you
Good work atmosphere but always scrambling
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 July 2017
The job atmosphere was great. Enjoyed most of the work. But was always scrambling for getting inventory out. Felt like we were always too short on manhours to get everything done on a daily basis.
Co-workers make it worth it
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 July 2017
Was working in the Peterborough area stores, as well after we were hired we were told those who didn't get assigned to the new store they opened would be moved to other stores as needed...

Instead of keeping heir end of the offer they terminated 20 of us from employment even though the other stores needed employee's, and the reason I know that is from other employee's who had been at these stores for a long time.

It was min wage, for 10 hours setting up a store to only find out that 20 of us were being fired instead of transferred to other stores, I would NOT recommend this company.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Broken promises to 20+ former employee's
kept me very busy
customer service and cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 July 2017
days went by quickly, learned patience and time management in a very busy retail environment.
Stocked a 40 foot aisle on both sides, loaded and unloaded skids, inventory control, cash, safe counts, open/close the store.
Team work
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON10 July 2017
Fun environment to work in respect all the employees and treat as family work as team help us to grow and because better people values there customer and make sure they leave with smile.
fun and productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 July 2017
fast paced and long hours of standing.
the hardest part of the job was you get to organize everything in the store, stuffs much put in the right place or aisle.
Pros
Cons
less hours
fun environment
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2017
I loved the people that I had a chance to work with, I moved around to help in many stores so had an opportunity to work with any on different levels and learned so much from each and every one .
great people
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON7 July 2017
work wasn't hard, great people and great management, the only thing would be not enough hours are given which is why I left. Good to have as a part time job.
Pros
great
Cons
not enough hours
fun place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 July 2017
had a great time, met some really good people as well as made such great friends. Anyone would love to work there. i wish i hadnt moved and still worked there!
Great company to work for
Aisle owner/stock (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS6 July 2017
Amazing team work, made some lifelong friends who were awesome to work with as well.Hard work..some days gruelling..but fullfilling. Our GM is amazing,tough but very kind.Great management staff
Pros
Great benefits, management staff and lifelong friends
Cons
Gossip and Ego need to go..no "I" in team.
Good place
Cashier/Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON5 July 2017
Working at Dollarama was a pleasure. I was there for a short amount of time but learned a lot. My co-workers were all very nice and helpful. The manager was flexible with hours and was very nice.
Love this job
Keyholder and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merritt, BC5 July 2017
I have learned lots about managment and it is a very enjoyable job! Always working with me to make my job easier! Everyday is a good day and i have no complaints about working at dollarama
I didn't get many hours
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON4 July 2017
it was an easy enough job but i got very little hours and my boss wouldn't give me fare amounts of time to complete certain tasks.
Thankfully she no long works there.
Pros
Cons
my boss sucked
Busy workplace, cool bosses
Key Holder/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 July 2017
In my (almost) 3 years of working at Dollarama, I have been a "assistant team lead" (keyholder) and a merchandiser. The location is extremely busy and can be pretty frustrating.
"Hey, I just stocked this and hour ago. How is it gone already?!"
"I'm sorry that we're out of that item right now, no I'm not sure when we'll get some more in."
"There's ANOTHER spill in aisle 6?!"
As crazy as it is, we have pretty wonderful store management. Our store manager tries to keep things as fair and less stressful as possible. They're kind, reasonable, and understanding.
The store undergoes a lot of changes- especially with the different seasons and holiday stock changes (Valentine's, Halloween, Christmas- you get the idea.)But! We try our best to work as a team to get the store filled.
Horrible Company To Work For
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 July 2017
Personally i have never worked for a more disrespectful company in my life. they care nothing for their employees and they pay us next to nothing while we slave away on cut work hours and pathetic pay raises ..... dont work for this company unless u enjoy working for nothing
Pros
Cons
everything
It was a decent job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC2 July 2017
Nothing wrong working at Dollarama, just the distance and bus transportation would always affect my mood of working there. The location was at White Rock, and bussing there was kind of challenging because bus would always come every thirty minutes, and we all know we can not depend on busses, so whenever I miss a bus I have to wait for another 30 mins. We all also know busses may not come in time as it says but whenever I get to the bus stop it would always come in early or late and that affect me getting to work in time. Other than that, working in Dollarama is not different from working from other retail places.
Pros
Christmas Parties
Cons
Distance
Tiring but good learning experience
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 June 2017
-Maintain assigned aisles everyday ( i had 2.5)
-Merchandise old and new stock
-Hardest part was always lifting, bending, stretching, using ladders (tall and small)
-Sometimes having to break skids alone
-Most enjoyable part was the people I worked with.
-Face and block store every night
-Put away returns
-fix damaged product
Pros
Learned a lot
Cons
Long hours, long periods of lifting, bending, stretching
Although friendly staff, management could be more friendly.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 June 2017
As I stated in my summary the main thing the store can really work is actually bridging the gap between employee and boss. Most times she wouldn't think twice about what you scheduled off, usually scheduling you anyways. Just overall better communication is needed.
Job does not have many hours
Cashier/stock merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK28 June 2017
Job does not have many hours, it depends on what time you desire to start working there. Some of the management are pretty mean, but the boss is nice and understanding. Pay is good for a part time...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8