Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and physical
Store Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 7, 2014
I learned new management skills while i worked there. My co-workers were amazing and fun to work with. A typical day would consist of doing counts, receiving product, delegation of tasks.
good place to work for
Sales Clerk/ Stock Person (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSOctober 7, 2014
Pros: good hour
Cons: good hour
it was a good place to work at the co-workers were nice & friendly
Dealing with the public!!!
CASHIER (Current Employee), Calgary AlbertaOctober 6, 2014
Pros: getting to know the customers.
Cons: having to deal with intoxicated and customers that are high.
Learning to have patience with unruly customers.
our manager is a very compassionate man.
Always fast-paced with a team atmosphere.
Store Manager (Current Employee), Port Colborne, ONOctober 6, 2014
Pros: some weekends off.
Cons: often manager needs to do stock duties due to low salary budget.
Managing a Dollarama is never boring. There are many challenges and management is very hands-on working alongside your team.
The store manager should be able to wear many hats from merchandising stock, receiving freight, to human resources and some office duties. Hours can be long, but there is a balance being one of the few retailers that alow rotating – more... weekends off. – less
Great for part time work
Customer Service / Stock person (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBOctober 6, 2014
Pros: great hours during the summer time
Cons: lunch area is small
Great for students, especially during the summer time. You always have something to do and usually with minimal supervision.
Fun work place, great staff.
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee), Olds, ABOctober 4, 2014
Pros: the hours
Cons: not a great source of income.
The shifts I worked varied. I used all of my experience that I learned from my former retail jobs. The management could have used a fixer upper but it was not horrible. I loved my co-workers while working here, we laughed a lot. The hardest part of this job is that I was the only employee who worked in town. When there was a blizzard or something, it – more... was me who went in, sometimes from open to close. I loved the people who came in and out, new faces and old. – less
productive, fun working
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Former Employee), Halifax, NSOctober 2, 2014
Pros: intresting interacting with customers
Cons: long hours
in the morning i clock in to work and then go to my till and clean the till area i fill the bag area and count my till. i great each customer scan their items let them know about pricing . give them their right amount of change and send them away. Im friendly and poliet, never had conflict with co-workers. i use my effective communication skills to – more... resolve any missunderstandig with co-workers and manegment. the most enjoable part of working at the dollar store was helping lower income people. – less
Productive and living earned job
Stockeeper, Cashier (Former Employee), surrey,bcSeptember 26, 2014
Cons: limited/less job hours
A Good job but with limited hours. This is my second job after immigrating to Canada and i like it the most. As this job has given my a different experience about retail which was quiet different from my previous experiences. Here i got my first promotion from associate to a key holder with in 7 months of joining so it gains my a lot of confidence in – more... myself.Here i worked as a stockkeeper, cashier and keyholder too. But still i want more things to learn as i can devote more time and hard work. – less
Extremely challenging , required to work in excess of 70 hours per week
District Manager (Former Employee), Central and Northern OntarioSeptember 26, 2014
company has lost it's moral compass and has gone from a culture of stakeholders to a culture of shareholders. It's all about the quick fixes of finding cost savings on the short term at the expense of the store staff and its management.
Short sightedness of the current cut backs will show immediate dividends, but once the competition figures out their – more... distribution network, you will see a huge impact on Dollarama's sales and profits.
The Head Office lacks proper resources and has promoted people with insufficient skill-sets and and favouritism runs rampant in respect as to whom gets moved up.
The current and new COO does not understand the business and appears to be taking advice from poor sources.
The middle management teams have been restructured but have been weakened as many long term successful people were packaged out in the interest of the current bottom line – less
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee), MississaugaSeptember 24, 2014
• Ensured customer needs and satisfactions were met
• Prepared the store with stocks/ cleaned, and returns were re-shelved
• Responsible for ensuring the cash is counted
Helped open the store and was only hired to help open
Inventory Stock Team Lead - Temporary Assignment (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCSeptember 21, 2014
Came into work always positive and help build the store with excellent staff and i learned a lot about how to help build a store. I was there for about 2 months and the hardest part about the job was starting at 7 am but in the end I wake up early anyways so it did not matter. Getting my work done the fastest and most efficient was my favorite part – more... of the job. – less
Learning to management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: to many hours
Cons: long hours
I learned how to work in team and buy my self.
How to be multitask
Excellent first job to find out what sort of worker you are.
Key Holder (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 16, 2014
Upon being hired at any Dollarama, you are trained to handle cashier transactions, merchandising all sort of product, how to properly speaking to customers with a friendly attitude, and how quickly you need to accomplish all this on a daily basis.
For many who are hired, this is their first job and many think it's a breeze. Working at a Dollarama is – more... very fast-pace and never ending between aiding customers, stocking shelves, ringing through transactions, and cleaning up every aisle constantly. You can definitely not be afraid of hard work and constant work at Dollarama.
It it however an excellent place to develop skills you would otherwise not pick up in a slower environment. – less
Productive and Fun-Loving place to work
Caissière (Former Employee), Cowansville, QCSeptember 12, 2014
It was a fun place to work and I really enjoyed working in the public; however, during the eleven months that I worked there, we went through two managers and often had managers from other stores come to direct us. For this reason, the instructions that we were given were often contradicting. Most of the employees were not given enough hours. I did – more... thoroughly enjoy working with charismatic and energetic people that I hope will remain my friends for a long time.
I learned a valuable work ethic that I could not have learned elsewhere.
A typical day at work would be going in the back and looking at the schedule to see who I would be working with. After that, I would go punch in and count my cash. Then I would serve the clients the best I could, although there were instances when clients would threaten other employees and such which became a nuance. – less
Fast paced environment with key focus on freigh flow
District Manager (Former Employee), Durham, OntarioSeptember 10, 2014
Cons: long hours
Responsible for seven retail locations in the Durham region. Oversaw retail store operations, merchandising, HR and people development within the assigned district of a team of over 14 Store Managers and 120 Associates.
An excellent experience
District Manager (Former Employee), Waubaushene, ONSeptember 8, 2014
This company has utilized my skills in a very productive manner that has me leading to new goals and expectations for myself at this time.
One of the best work environments I've had the pleasure of attending
Cashier (Former Employee), Sault Ste. Marie, ONSeptember 6, 2014
A typical day is rather busy, as you are either on cash, or running from stocking your aisles to getting on cash to help customers. I learned a lot about being patient and assessing situation calmly before acting. The job itself with all the employees was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Not bad a place
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: good friendly coworkers, management. flexible hours
Cons: boring, like any cashier job at any store, i would imagine.
Everyone knows Dollarama, just from the name, so really it is just how one would expect a dollar store to be, ideally at least, not bad. Customers were generally polite and nice, and coworkers were really friendly and everyone got well with each other. Not my ideal job but I don't have reason for complaining.

The management was flexible with the hours – more... it gave and respected your availability. – less
Productive and customer oriented
Store Associates (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 5, 2014
I enjoyed a lot while working on Dollarama. I did all general functions including merchandising and to handle the cash and to serve the customer in counter.
Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), Newmarket 130 Davis driveAugust 28, 2014
Pros: being the first to see new stock
I loved stocking shelves being the first to see the new toys. I learned to work in team work I worked well with all my co-workers.I enjoyed every thing about working at Dollarama the people I worked with the customers.Seeing the new stock we would receive meeting new people every day.

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more