Dollarama Employee Reviews

Fun Work, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON1 November 2016
I worked at Dollarama for several years, it was a fun place to work, enjoyable duties. The only bad thing is I seen managers come and go, most of them are not good manager, take the roll to their head. When a manager gets complaints upon them, they just move them to a different store, which I find isnt to good, cause they do the same stuff micromanage, and power trip. Instead they should train the polite ones within the store, and have better management.
Then another topic, they need to have more staff hours + staff for the work they want to be completed within a day, cause with not enough staff it makes you feel like your a slave for your 11 dollars an hour.
Overall its a good place if you have a good manager and if its a busy dollarama = more hours they give a week.
If your full time there your get the hours, if your part time you barely get hours. I wouldnt work there as part time, but I guess you have to start somewhere. (like somewhere else).
Also full time employees only get a 10 cent raise a year, its a dead end job.
Pros
Enjoyable duties, Nice Customers
Cons
Bad Management, Have to work Hoildays
great first time job
cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC31 October 2016
Dollarama is a great first time job, there are wonderful and kind people that work there.they are flexible with hours. You learn so much, The co-workers teach you how to do something and are willing to take the time to teach you until you understand how it is done.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
getting off work late
Routine and basic. No challenges.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2016
Routine. Restocking merchandise. cashier duties and taking in freight. Very flexible hours which is great but not much room for growth. A good company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No promotions
Fun workplace as you meet new people everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 October 2016
Would just go to work for 6 hours and spend 5 hours on cash as our location was quite busy. I've learned good customer service from the fellow employees and how to remain calm during the busy hours. The hardest part of the job was that there were usually only 4 people working during the evening shift and the store was huge. We had to do the returns and clean up all by ourselves.
Fast pace work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE28 October 2016
I would serve customers inside the restaurant and through the drive thru ( taking orders, packaging orders ect.) I would also close cashes and clean store when needed.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Split shifts (long hours)
Decent
Cashier/ Stock/ Closing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2016
Great for Part-Time students. Very easy but repetitive work. Great location and a very clean store. Free parking and majority of great staff
Pros
No pros, pay full price for everything nothing is free.
Cons
Staff is not always compliant, people hired and fired more then average.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2016
work as Assistant Manager .nothing to mention or comment with working with Dollarama. successful company, Typical day started by receiving products.
Pros
nothing to say or mention about dollarama
Cons
nothing to say or mention about dollarama
Fun workplace, great company
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON25 October 2016
Dollarama was a great company to work for.
They are a fast paced environment.
Easy work with great customers.
Great staff.
Very helpful company with room to grow.
Good Job for keeping busy
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 October 2016
Love the work and the hours. But it lacks work life balance and room to grow career wise. Have been a retail manager for years and the pay does not recognize this.
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
fun and competitive
Supervisor/management/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Rexdale, ON20 October 2016
I enjoyed every day I worked, dealing with customers and daily routines were amazing. I learned new things on a daily base, new situations new creativity. the experience gained here I have carried through out my other job.
the bets work family ever!
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 October 2016
this was by far the best job i ever had with culture pride and fun fast pace. i loved the environment and people chosen for the job, it was a really great place to help you on your weakness and strengths in our work ethics
with new management it is not the store it use to be
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB14 October 2016
in one year this store has gone from a fun place to work to a place where you arent suppose to talk to customers..coworkers were good i liked my job,dealing with customers and the fast pace.
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
Amazing customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Wetaskiwin, AB10 October 2016
Enjoyed organizing and facing stock on shelves. The customers were amazing, and were regulars to our store and recognized me daily for my superior customer service. I surely enjoyed the fast pace.
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
The most busy store I have worked.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yonge, ON5 October 2016
It is always busy but the schedule is not appropriate to me. The hardest part is you don't have enough time to clear every aisle.
Not your typical retail ( don't work for peanuts )
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2016
Dollarama is a sweat shop I wouldn't recommend someone I hate to work there. workers are
Under paid barely appreciated and over worked I.e( if u work a 7-8 hour shift depending which store u work at u will be lucky to get two breaks) I mean they will give u 30 min break prolly when ur shift is almost done but hey what do I know overall it's not the worst place on earth there are worst jobs but just make sure u go in there with a mindset understanding that ur a merchandiser /maid First customer service and everything else comes last the only glimmer of light for this company is that most of the employees are genuinely nice people who have been tricked into believing there in a good company that cares about them but they really don't i mean have u ever had a job where they make u work 6 days a week and don't even ask ur permission they say u have to !! And one last tip at DOLLARAMA expressing how u really feel about a manager or management in general will get u nowhere. voicing opinions and complaining is frowned upon they won't tell u this so I will good luck to those who still apply u see that what I've written is not a lie
Pros
Friendly conworkers
Cons
Long hours no appreciation to get a break is a battle

2.8