Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Organized and good team work
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABApril 25, 2016
Continuous learning daily. Fun and friendly staff who work well as a team together to get the job done. A typical day at Dollarama , is very fast paced with stocking, customer service and cashiering all rolled into one. The store Manager is an awesome person with good work ethics.
Customers made the job difficult
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 27, 2016
Often, customers would come in and make big messes with no regard to the employees who would have to clean it up afterwards. It made working there quite annoying.
Pros
Staff was nice
Cons
Careless customers often made working there difficult
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 1, 2016
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
Pros
Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons
Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
Dollorama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCApril 1, 2016
I Loved working at dollorama as i was apart of a great team and personally found everyone there to be so welcoming and the odd few were very supportive and understanding. The manager at this establishment is probably the nicest person I Know and by far is one of the odd few people I can say makes a great manager.
productive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 6, 2016
I learned how to handle different types of customers when working a Dollarmma. I learned that dealing with complaints is not an easy task and being on the Dollarama team taught me what it means to be patient and nice to customers.
Pros
easy and laid back work
Cons
short hours
Fun place to work, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a ton of information that I did not know
No hours available
Fired multiple staff after new store opened
Uses employees just to set up store
No notice in letting staff go
Do not trust their employees (bag checks, can't ring other people through, can't scan family or friends through etc)
Cons
No hours, no benefits, min wage, no bonus
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
A fast-paced job that allows opportunities for decision making
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMarch 17, 2016
I really enjoy my job as a keyholder at Dollarama because I have the autonomy to make decisions about what tasks to assign staff and how to manage the team's time to make sure everything is completed. I like the fast pace, because it makes a long shift feel short.
enjoyed my co workers and assisting customers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Campbell River, BCMarch 11, 2016
busy with multi tasking with various jobs such as serving customers with their orders or assisting the customer with finding what they need.also unloading carts that need to replemished shelves
Cons
no coverage for medical unless shifts where 25 hours for 6 consecutive weeks
Good for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 24, 2016
This job gives a basis on what are the daily tasks in customer service. You learn how to be a cashier, a clerk, how to place products, and constantly learn a different routine for the same tasks, as managers and staff often change.
Alright job
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QCJune 2, 2016
The actual work environment is quite dull and boring. You'll be spending most of the day stocking the floor with new items since the stores all seem to be understaffed.

The work itself is quite repetitive.

As a first job, it's alright.
employees are easy to talk to, work environment can get busy
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 13, 2016
during my time at Dollarama I have learned how to work on cashier, merchandise for a short period of time and how to communicate with workers older then I am. My co-workers were very friendly and helpful
Pros
N/A
Cons
N/A
Good place to work for a starter job
Cashier and Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONApril 20, 2016
a great place to work as a beginner, low stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. Cons to working here were not a lot of hours were given to part time, went 2 weeks with no shifts during july.
Good work enviroment.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Castlegar, BCJanuary 13, 2016
This being my first job I loved interacting with all kinds of new people, from elders to young children I always found everyone to be polite and courteous. Of course working in a retail job you come across people who want to be difficult but for the most part I was able to handle that on my own without any help. My co-workers were all amazing and I have nothing negative to say about them. I learned a lot about myself and I think this job really helped me become more of a social person since you have to interact with the customers.
Dollarama
Merchandising and stocking (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKApril 9, 2016
Dollarama, is a very fast paced. The management team that I had was great. I have worked with alot of people. But you have to have the ability to consistently lift 30-50 pound boxes for hours. My back isn't up for it anymore.
Pros
caring company
Cons
long hours, small pay
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be unloading merchandise from pallets, pricing and stocking shelves in timely manner, Operate cash register, count and balance cash register, help customers find products in the store.
Everyday was a new learning experience from interacting with people from different background to learning new technology.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Long Hours
enjoyed co-workers and position
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBJune 13, 2016
good job with lots of different products to merchandise. had a variety of job to do every shift. Work all shifts from opening to closing with a variety of shifts. worked as a cashier and a merchandier
is a busy growing company expnding to other countries now
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 2, 2016
affordable ppl like to shop there up on seasonal items very up to date you work hard in hours expected co workers to get along and 90% do always lots to do especially when closing end of day returns
Pros
have great breaks, gift cards at christmas
Cons
long hours. min wage
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management wasn't the greatest
My first long term job
customer service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONJune 29, 2016
Great store to start my work history. I picked up many skills while working in Dollarama such as, helping customers find their products, sanitary maintenance, opening stores and learning to work with new people.

2.8