Dollarama Employee Reviews

Busy workplace with amazing co workers and managers
Part­Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMay 15, 2016
Dollarama is a fast paced environment that keeps me busy throughout my shift whether I'm on cash, stocking shelves, breaking down skids or cleaning the aisles. Most of the staff are amazing people I'm glad I've been able to meet some of them and I couldn't ask for better people to work with.
Heavy and fast productive place to work
Front Cashier/ Floor worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NLJuly 22, 2016
Dollarama is a fast paced place. no time to sit down only on your break, and they maybe 15 mins, or an hr. There is always something to be doing, and that can be either by working on the floor down in an isle by braking a cart apart, and that is by taking merchandise out of the boxes and putting it on the shelf and making sure it is properly blocked in and to make sure that there is no goats or pegs left lying around, making sure product is lined from top to bottom, and also taking count of products. When working on the cash, there is full time being up at the front and serving the customers. it is a face paced but to serve the customers is what is the best thing about being the cash. seeing the customers is what makes your day go faster and making them happy to find to what they are looking for. it will take time out of your schedule, but it will take and make your day so much more fulfilling.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No liquid beverage on the floor or on the cash
Great job until the new manager came in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ONApril 4, 2016
I worked for Kingsville Dollarama since they opened. The job was enjoyable and the staff was great. I loved my job until the new manager came on. Job became stressful, unorganized and poorly run! I had to quit because I didn't feel like getting yelled at during work everyday anymore. Unfortunately there was no help from the district manager either. Great place to work if they get new management in there!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Poorly managed
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Pros
A very supportive staff
Cons
I dont think there are any Cons with the company
Fun and busy
Cashier, Customer Service, Keyholder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCApril 1, 2016
past co workers have been really fun to work with and i made so many friends! best job i had so far! I learned great team work and pretty much loved it there. just need more into security system though only tough part to work in there is not feeling secured because of thieves or people who might bring in anything that could hurt people and will have no way of knowing who it'll be because there are no camera system
excellent co-workers
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 7, 2016
It was a very productive and easy going job, was surrounded by lots of friendly co-workers and customers. Great environment to work in. I learned lots about being a cashier/merchandiser, and working in a fast paced work area. it was tough to keep up with merchandise at times because we had so many skids coming in at once, but wasn't to hard to catch up on.
Pros
Nice co-workers
Cons
Poor Management
Productive and fun workplace
Manager/Supervisor-Key Holder/Merchandiser/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 22, 2016
Dollarama is a growing company with many stores across Canada that offers many entry-level job opportunities in the retail sector. It offers a very fun-filled and fast-paced environment.
Work is tiresome but teamwork works makes it bearable.
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 1, 2016
The company is fast growing and has a lot to offer the customers with new products being introduced daily. With the cheapest price there is in the market, no wonder our company is the best! The hardest part of the job is facing thieves; which are so many.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
so much do to with less hour to work
the management that i have met while working there sucks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCAugust 8, 2016
I did not enjoy my time working at the dollarama. while I was working there management changed often and none of them made any positive changes, though i've only worked at branch 609 and can't speak of the others.
What I learned from Dollarama.
Stocker, Cashier and Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Whitby, ONJune 1, 2016
I learned how to be a good public speaker in dollarama, and it also helped me to be a good team player. The people that i work with in my store helped me to be more extroverted and to try and engage people.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Doesn't give enough hours sometimes
Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Innisfil, ONJune 8, 2016
I've worked as a cashier and I also stocked merchandise and provided excellent costumer service, me and the co-workers worked good together, I liked how my job kept me busy and also organized. I had to leave because I didn't have enough hours.
Pros
Keeping myself busy and organzied
Cons
Less hours
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
Pros
great atmosphere, great management
Cons
low hours when store isnt getting enough business
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONApril 9, 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
Fun and a fast paced place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
When I moved to winnipeg and was job searching Dollarama was one of the top places that I wanted to work so once i handed in my resume I never gave up until I got the job and once I was hired I was the happiest girl that day and I am hoping I can find something like that with your company. The employees were and still are the friendlyest people i ever met. Will deffinately use them as a reference on this job search.
Pros
i liked everything about dollarama
Cons
everyones hours got cut
Interesting work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 26, 2016
A typical work day is putting away stock, helping customers and working over stock. I learned new things about how to line in new stock , how to close and balance the tills.
Pros
Laid back dress code
Cons
To short traing peroids
High volume Retail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 2, 2016
Fast paced high volume retail with a focuses on stock and replenishment. There is also a focuses on year over year and making sales goals and controlling labor budgets.
Pros
lots of volume so your day seem short
Good for a first job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 24, 2016
This job gives a basis on what are the daily tasks in customer service. You learn how to be a cashier, a clerk, how to place products, and constantly learn a different routine for the same tasks, as managers and staff often change.
Customers made the job difficult
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 27, 2016
Often, customers would come in and make big messes with no regard to the employees who would have to clean it up afterwards. It made working there quite annoying.
Pros
Staff was nice
Cons
Careless customers often made working there difficult
productive fast pace environment
Cashier/ Isle staff (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONSeptember 13, 2016
The staff an my boss were wonderful to work with. The environment was super friendly. The CEO people were wonderful to work for as well. Took good care of there employees.
Pros
special bonus

2.8