Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Freindly employees
staff (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONApril 3, 2016
Enjoyable place to work with other staff members but the management is little poor other than its a fun work at!

Always meeting and greeting good customers rarely you find people upset with dollarama.
Great customers
sales associate and cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Great customers but lacking in management team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management that didn't seem to have the employees best interest. I thoroughly enjoyed helping customers and working with my coworkers.
Pros
helping customersfind what they are looking for is rewarding
Cons
management issues
Fast paced environment, lots of grumpy people.
cashier/ customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NSOctober 7, 2015
Fast paced work environment. Constantly opening and unloading boxes. Running back and forth from cash to your aisle always. People always telling you to put more and more out on the shelves. The entire company is built around making people want to consume everything there is to offer and tricks people by calling it a dollar store. The amount of times I heard someone say "Well I really didnt need any of this but thats just what happens when you come to the dollarstore.. They should call it the 20 dollar store, or the 50 dollar store." is disgusting. Dollarama was not my strong suit thats for sure, and if you dont like grumpy people or shoving corporate product down peoples throats, then I'd say dont work here.
Pros
You get to eat the chips in the back if the customers break them open
Cons
Very long hours, all weekend shifts possible, I got them.
Operations Supervisor for Warehouse (Former Employee) –  MontrealOctober 22, 2015
Intense, high stress, hard workers, decent management, KPI driven,
hardest part of the job keeping the employees and workers in sync with the company's needs
Pros
Location to home
Cons
Long, long hours and weekends
Great work place as a beginner
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
As a beginner, Dollaroma was a great work place for me. I worked without stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. I learned how to deal with different types of customer at Dollarama. They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages. I had been worked there eleven months. I was able to handle customer complaints every day and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Cons
They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages.
Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
Don't do it.
Retail Associate/Isle Owner (Former Employee) –  aldergrove,bcMay 19, 2015
I took this job to build a work history in Canada, working for Dollarama was the biggest mistake of my life.

If you like pain, no support. Poor management, no resources, being consistently understaffed for months at a time, ten cent raises,working every holiday and excessive blackout periods for vacations then Dollarama is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, excessive labor, poor wages, poor benefits
fast pace working environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day at work for me is to come in greet all my colleagues, sign in, place my things down and start work. Typically i am assigned an aisle to work in or pick up the slack in another aisle that needs attention. I learned how to deal with customers and any complaints they may have had with a product. When the manager or assistant manager left of the evening i was taking control of managing the store and organizing tasks to everyone. The hardest part of this job was the physical labour of lifting heavy boxes. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with amazing staff members and putting names to faces of regular customers.
Pros
free pizza, every couple of months
Cons
change of managers
Facing,shelving and unpacking the box
Cashier and clerical work (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2016
I work as dollarama for 5 years . I had an experience for shelving and facing. I like dollarama but it is very low salary . I was prepared to work very hard because I have great focus.
Cons
short hours
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was a great day. I really enjoyed working for the company. I learned cashier, stalking shelves, getting a deposit ready, doing a deposit, open and close the store, deal with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, answering the phone and communicate with head office. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to take care of everything at once, but I learned that I had to do one thing at a time to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customers.
good company
Store manager in training (Current Employee) –  barrieOctober 7, 2015
Dollarama is a good company to work for if work life balance is not an issue. It is a physical and time demanding job with ok benefits but not great. Overall it is a good company to work for.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
Enjoyed working at this company for the most part
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2016
I liked my position with the company, kept me busy which i liked. The management could of been better, very immature. A lot of other great coworkers though
Productive and very busy place
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCDecember 8, 2015
Typical day at work would be to count the money at the back, brings tils to the registers and then start on counts, break skids, stock, back up cashier. I learned a lot of thing being here for the past 5 years now and my co- workers are all unique and wonderful workers. Management seems to be the problem here where a lot do not get along or cause a lot of issues which creates a bad environment
A very basic job with decent hours and no real benefits
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Co workers are great, management always seems to be shifting and there's no real global order it seems. You have to be very fast paced cause if not they have little tolerance. It was clean.
Dollarama
Dollarama Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 14, 2015
I learned that working with others can be difficult at times but, you do your job work well with the other employees. The best part about working at Dollarama was to see all the customers leave with a happy smile. Sometimes you didn't have the items they were looking for so you would suggest a different place where they are able to get that item(s). The hardest part of our day would be trying to get all the returns back to where they belong on the certain shelving units. The management was good at their jobs when there was a problem with a customer and us fighting or something happening that we can't fix then we will be having to involve the manager but, if it wasn't too serious we would try and make the customer feel happy with a great visit/ shopping experience at this certain store.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
conflicts with other employees
this is not the place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2016
All of the managemet is racist, they chose favorites and even if you hurt yourself they will still make you work, they pay so poorly, and the customers steel they need to get cameras.
Pros
nothing
Cons
shoplifters, pay, management
Fun and a fast paced place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
When I moved to winnipeg and was job searching Dollarama was one of the top places that I wanted to work so once i handed in my resume I never gave up until I got the job and once I was hired I was the happiest girl that day and I am hoping I can find something like that with your company. The employees were and still are the friendlyest people i ever met. Will deffinately use them as a reference on this job search.
Pros
i liked everything about dollarama
Cons
everyones hours got cut
It's an okay company but not great
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
loading and unloading pallets of store merchandise, sorting merchandise according to designated aisles, stocking shelves after pricing merchandise with price guns
Pros
basic understand of work requirements and responsibilities
Cons
lack of benefits and low rate of pay
good place to work
Chashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBFebruary 11, 2016
great staff to work with .
hard work great rewards,
got to meet lots of entertaining people.
most of the management was great to work for most were easy to talk to
acceptable work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
it has been my part time job when i was in school. I enjoy serving different personality customers. all co-worker are really nice and helpful. however, work hours are not stable, and salary is low.
Pros
i can transfer to other location if i am moving
Cons
i do not feel learn anything about that job, and it is not a good job for long run.