Dollarama Employee Reviews

It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 May 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start
hire today gone tomorrow
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 May 2016
i worked at the eglinton location during store launch setting the store up for its grand opening i arrived early ,worked hard and left late many nights every day and they canned me and a few other workers the day before the opening (how cold is that ?) saying "we had to let a lot of people go because we can't afford to keep you all. strange how they hired totally new replacements tho. i call bullcrap on this, work there if you must but KEEP LOOKING for something better the term "a pat on the back is just a few inches away from a kick in the butt" is especially true with dollarama.
Pros
great co workers, cool vibe.
Cons
shifty, exploitive management
Hard working staff in a fast paced envrionment
Assist management (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2016
Having the versatility of working the store front when needed, maintaining an aisle and doing the books made for a pleasant work day because things were kept interesting. Management at the time were great and very considerate of the employees.
Pros
understanding management staff and employees
Cons
working weekends and evenings away from my family
Can be very busy at times, but also rewarding when you have helped an elderly person and they give you a hug
Cashier/Stock-Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 August 2016
A very good environment to work in. My co-workers and management were always willing to guide and help me. Not only did I learn how to use a cash register and balance the till, I found it easier to converse with the customers. They were a wonderful group of people to work with.
Pros
Bonus at Christmas
Decent
Cashier/ Stock/ Closing (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 October 2016
Great for Part-Time students. Very easy but repetitive work. Great location and a very clean store. Free parking and majority of great staff
Pros
No pros, pay full price for everything nothing is free.
Cons
Staff is not always compliant, people hired and fired more then average.
Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 May 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
A great part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON30 June 2016
Those who work at Dollarama have taught me so much, and the experience I have from working there will help me for years to come. The management at particular stores leaves much to be desired and sometimes made work unbearable, but a part-time job is necessary for a student to pay the bills. My co-workers always made it worth working there.
Pros
Learning patience and people skills.
Cons
The manager you get is either amazing or makes you want to quit.
Poor store morale
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 June 2016
I worked at Terminal Park Plaza in Nanaimo BC. It was worse job I have ever had. The manager is very unprofessional running around all day like a chicken with her head cut off accomplishing nothing. Yet heaven forbid you did not accomplish your 5 carts in a 5 hour shift despite spending most of your day as back up cashier and breaking skids.
Pros
You get to see merchandise as it comes in.
Cons
No benefits, low paying, poor morale and not a team atmospere
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON29 April 2016
A typical day at work was a great day. I really enjoyed working for the company. I learned cashier, stalking shelves, getting a deposit ready, doing a deposit, open and close the store, deal with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, answering the phone and communicate with head office. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to take care of everything at once, but I learned that I had to do one thing at a time to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customers.
Great work place as a beginner
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2016
As a beginner, Dollaroma was a great work place for me. I worked without stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. I learned how to deal with different types of customer at Dollarama. They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages. I had been worked there eleven months. I was able to handle customer complaints every day and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Cons
They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages.
Demanding and thankless workplace.
Management (Former Employee) –  Ontario11 May 2016
Limited opportunity for advancement, terrible wages, horrible benefits, little respect for Canadian labour laws.
I would not recommend this employer.
Poor work environment
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON26 August 2016
Management very poor, not loyal to employees. Large turn over rate due to employer.
Training staff poor, not giving people chances. Management talks down to people, rather than helping and teaching.

Many other workers have expressed the same concerns. Wish to find other work.
the bets work family ever!
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON14 October 2016
this was by far the best job i ever had with culture pride and fun fast pace. i loved the environment and people chosen for the job, it was a really great place to help you on your weakness and strengths in our work ethics
worst management ever
Associate (Former Employee) –  west Vancouver, BC23 November 2016
Management likes to choose favorites and if you're not one of them you will be treated poorly and with no respect and fire you, and given almost no hours regardless of your work ethic.
Pros
fun meeting new people
Cons
bad management
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ON4 April 2016
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Pros
A very supportive staff
Cons
I dont think there are any Cons with the company
Routine and basic. No challenges.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2016
Routine. Restocking merchandise. cashier duties and taking in freight. Very flexible hours which is great but not much room for growth. A good company.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No promotions
productive fast pace environment
Cashier/ Isle staff (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON13 September 2016
The staff an my boss were wonderful to work with. The environment was super friendly. The CEO people were wonderful to work for as well. Took good care of there employees.
Pros
special bonus
coworkers and manegment were amazing people
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON29 May 2016
Dollaram has become a home to me all of my co-workers were very nice and friendly we all got along and our customers were very nice and always left with a smile
Dollarama is somewhere we worked as a team and a family

Being a keylholder was hard at times with having so many task to take on but at times that was the best part always having a job to do and the feeling when you accomplished it
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
long hours when someone called in sick or didnt show
good job for awhile, not a career goal for me.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 July 2016
Typical days at work i would stock most of the time, if the cashiers got to many people lined up they would call me up till the line cleared and i would go back to stocking and organizing the shelf's.
management was good, i learned a lot about how commercial stores worked and time management.
Pros
people were great.
Cons
long exasting hours

2.8