Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
Great work place as a beginner
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
As a beginner, Dollaroma was a great work place for me. I worked without stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. I learned how to deal with different types of customer at Dollarama. They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages. I had been worked there eleven months. I was able to handle customer complaints every day and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Cons
They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages.
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was a great day. I really enjoyed working for the company. I learned cashier, stalking shelves, getting a deposit ready, doing a deposit, open and close the store, deal with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, answering the phone and communicate with head office. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to take care of everything at once, but I learned that I had to do one thing at a time to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONJanuary 20, 2016
A typical day at work would be unloading merchandise from pallets, pricing and stocking shelves in timely manner, Operate cash register, count and balance cash register, help customers find products in the store.
Everyday was a new learning experience from interacting with people from different background to learning new technology.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Long Hours
Great Workplace
Store Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2015
Good workplace, supportive management, but limited scope of professional advancement. Coworkers are very professional. Training is provided on a continuous basis. Working conditions including work hours are well balanced with company needs and worker requests. Easy to speak with Supervisors and Managers with concerns, requests and suggestions.
Pros
Fun place
Cons
Restricted career progression
Great customers
sales associate and cashier (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Great customers but lacking in management team. The hardest part of the job was dealing with management that didn't seem to have the employees best interest. I thoroughly enjoyed helping customers and working with my coworkers.
Pros
helping customersfind what they are looking for is rewarding
Cons
management issues
Facing,shelving and unpacking the box
Cashier and clerical work (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2016
I work as dollarama for 5 years . I had an experience for shelving and facing. I like dollarama but it is very low salary . I was prepared to work very hard because I have great focus.
Cons
short hours
Easy workplace for beginners
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  OntarioMay 24, 2015
Best part about this job is that its easy work and doesn't take too much thinking. As a sales associate/merchandiser I work the cashiers and put out product/maintain appearance of the shelves and walls. All of the duties are repetitive so it becomes very easy to grow lazy and bored of it all depending how long you stay there. Management at the store I work at is constantly changing, assistant managers and key holders are coming and going monthly. This makes it hard to build personal relationship and trust with staff. Co-workers are usually amazing and make the job worth the while. They are there to talk to when the store is not busy. I have learned from this job that being at the management level in retail is very stressful and doesn't provide many pros for wanting to move up the ladder. Dollarama is a great starter job for high school students or anyone without job experience. Dollarama is a multi-billion dollar company and should consider upgrading the benefits for full-time staff and offering a more competitive wage or offering raises every so often.
Pros
Friendly staff, easy work
Cons
Constant changing of management, low hours, min. pay with no raises, terrible benefits
fast pace working environment
Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day at work for me is to come in greet all my colleagues, sign in, place my things down and start work. Typically i am assigned an aisle to work in or pick up the slack in another aisle that needs attention. I learned how to deal with customers and any complaints they may have had with a product. When the manager or assistant manager left of the evening i was taking control of managing the store and organizing tasks to everyone. The hardest part of this job was the physical labour of lifting heavy boxes. The most enjoyable part of this job was working with amazing staff members and putting names to faces of regular customers.
Pros
free pizza, every couple of months
Cons
change of managers
Enjoyed working at this company for the most part
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 29, 2016
I liked my position with the company, kept me busy which i liked. The management could of been better, very immature. A lot of other great coworkers though
Great co workers and mangment
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
It was always a happy place to work, I learned how to be a leader and team member. How to do bank deposits, prepare the deposits, stalking shelves, cashier, counts, receiving, handling customer complaints, handling employees complaints, shipping and receiving . Management was great. I loved working with my co workers they made the work place a great place to work. The hardest part was to get the deposit ready quickly manner, but after time I have accomplished to do it in a fashionably manner. I really enjoyed working with my co workers
Productive environment with lots of opportunities
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ONApril 18, 2016
My experience at the Dollarstore was very professional. I learnt how to work a cash and manage money in different ways. I worked with friends from school since i was attending High School when i worked there and my manager was very friendly. I didn't really like the closing shifts as i was there late and had school the next morning. My favourite part was interacting with customers and meeting new people. I usually worked 3:30-9 after school and if it was a closing shift i was there till 9:45-10.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
Sometimes inadequate working environment.
Cahier Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONApril 18, 2016
My co-workers were really nice to get along with, good team members and skill builders. Management weren't always the best to get along with at times. I learned different techniques at my various jobs over the past few years: i.e. introducing customers to new products at Dollarama, putting up and taking down of various displays.
Pros
Paid vacation at Dollarama, gift cards for Dollarama at Christmas
Cons
Sometimes long hours, especially if you're not prepared for it and they ask for me to stay beyond my scheduled shift.
Fun and a fast paced place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMarch 13, 2016
When I moved to winnipeg and was job searching Dollarama was one of the top places that I wanted to work so once i handed in my resume I never gave up until I got the job and once I was hired I was the happiest girl that day and I am hoping I can find something like that with your company. The employees were and still are the friendlyest people i ever met. Will deffinately use them as a reference on this job search.
Pros
i liked everything about dollarama
Cons
everyones hours got cut
A very basic job with decent hours and no real benefits
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONFebruary 27, 2016
Co workers are great, management always seems to be shifting and there's no real global order it seems. You have to be very fast paced cause if not they have little tolerance. It was clean.
Fast paced environment, lots of grumpy people.
cashier/ customer service assistant (Former Employee) –  Amherst, NSOctober 7, 2015
Fast paced work environment. Constantly opening and unloading boxes. Running back and forth from cash to your aisle always. People always telling you to put more and more out on the shelves. The entire company is built around making people want to consume everything there is to offer and tricks people by calling it a dollar store. The amount of times I heard someone say "Well I really didnt need any of this but thats just what happens when you come to the dollarstore.. They should call it the 20 dollar store, or the 50 dollar store." is disgusting. Dollarama was not my strong suit thats for sure, and if you dont like grumpy people or shoving corporate product down peoples throats, then I'd say dont work here.
Pros
You get to eat the chips in the back if the customers break them open
Cons
Very long hours, all weekend shifts possible, I got them.
this is not the place to work
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 19, 2016
All of the managemet is racist, they chose favorites and even if you hurt yourself they will still make you work, they pay so poorly, and the customers steel they need to get cameras.
Pros
nothing
Cons
shoplifters, pay, management
Operations Supervisor for Warehouse (Former Employee) –  MontrealOctober 22, 2015
Intense, high stress, hard workers, decent management, KPI driven,
hardest part of the job keeping the employees and workers in sync with the company's needs
Pros
Location to home
Cons
Long, long hours and weekends
good place to work
Chashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NBFebruary 11, 2016
great staff to work with .
hard work great rewards,
got to meet lots of entertaining people.
most of the management was great to work for most were easy to talk to
Don't do it.
Retail Associate/Isle Owner (Former Employee) –  aldergrove,bcMay 19, 2015
I took this job to build a work history in Canada, working for Dollarama was the biggest mistake of my life.

If you like pain, no support. Poor management, no resources, being consistently understaffed for months at a time, ten cent raises,working every holiday and excessive blackout periods for vacations then Dollarama is the place for you.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, excessive labor, poor wages, poor benefits