Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,028 reviews matching the search
Fun workplace as you meet new people everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 October 2016
Would just go to work for 6 hours and spend 5 hours on cash as our location was quite busy. I've learned good customer service from the fellow employees and how to remain calm during the busy hours. The hardest part of the job was that there were usually only 4 people working during the evening shift and the store was huge. We had to do the returns and clean up all by ourselves.
Fun and alot of interacting with customer's and employee's
Stocks Boy (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON6 February 2017
I have just recently started at Dollarama, and we have just opened a new store. There was alot of work to do with organizing and training as well.
Pros
Once the stores open's and everything's running smoothly, things will not be so overwhelming.
Cons
Part time for now until I can obtain more hours.
Overworked and underpaid
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 January 2017
You are expected to do ALOT a little in return. The staff can be great or not, its more of the luck of the draw. Upper management is picky, and a pain in the rear. They don't tend to care about the people just the numbers. They regularly don't pay vacation pay when they should and they under tax you so you have a major tax bill at the end of the year. Hours are never the same every week. They don't give you the raises they say they will and there is not a lot of room for promotion, they would rather bring in a newbie then they would promote a long time employee that is capable of the job. They have "full time" set at 25 hours so they can drop you down anytime especially after Christmas when you need hours the most. If it wasn't for the fact that there were great staff at my stores I would have hated this job. Its not a job that I would recommend to anyone.
Pros
... it was a job
Cons
irregular hours, poor pay... everything pretty much.
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
I enjoy the job very much and the people
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 January 2017
There could be more hours given more suport for the people who need and steeper punishment for wrongly behaving in the work place and better training but other then that it was great
Pros
Friendly staff welcome place to work
Cons
A little to busy at times more multitasking then i would have liked
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 September 2016
Being able to do just about everything here, from being a cashier, to stocking shelves, to breaking down skids. I learned to do almost everything you can do here. The co-workers are great. Hardest part of working here is trying to stock as much as possible and cleaning the store. No matter what or how much you do there is always more. All you can do is keep moving and get done as much as you can. There are always customers that are not in a good mood and decide that it's your fault so the best thing to do is help them get what they want and help them on their way while keeping a good attitude.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Nice people to work around. But not enough hours per a week.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 December 2016
Not enough hours. They only give me one shift per a week. I want a job that gives me more shifts per a week and more hours. Even if it's just a part-time job. The people their are nice to be around. I also work very hard everytime
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Not enough work days
Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
Fun and friendly experience
Cashier/ Stock (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 November 2016
Friendly and helpful staff to work with. My employers were genuinely caring about myself and perfect customer service.
Some days were fast paced but I was up for challenge.
The job gave me experience in customer relations and team building skills. Hardest part was saying good bye.
Pros
great staff
Terrible managment and culture
KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS7 February 2017
Do not give you enough time to do tasks, poor communication, schedule you on days you need off, a lot of rules and restrictions, a lot of demands, people complained about everyone and everything, no trust in employees or customers.
Pros
Easy to get hired
Cons
culture is terrible
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
Clerk/Stocker
Clerk/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON9 February 2017
Responsible for stocking, cleaning, and maintaining one departments counts and stock bins within the store.Cash handling, float counts at opening and closing, and customer transactions,.
Followed all company policies regarding Health and Safety.General customer service.
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start
Productive and fun workplace
Store Setup (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON16 February 2017
I worked at Dollarama as someone helping with the new store set-up. Most employees were very friendly and productive. Everyday was a busy day and I enjoyed helping stock the shelves. The hardest part of the job would be some heavy lifting, yet I managed very well.
Unfriendly working place
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sheppard, ON18 February 2017
Had bad experience since my co-workers were unfriendly. Instead of encouraging and helping one another, co workers were talking behind backs, and in competition. They let you work more than you needed to.
Cons
No teamwork, unfriendly working environment
It was a good store to work in
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2017
A typical day consisted of cashiering, merchandising, assisting customers and had to help other staff. Was sad that the store closed when the mall closed that area off for construction.
Pros
It was a good place to work
Cons
Certain staff members didn't listen well
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 September 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.

2.8