Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

hire today gone tomorrow
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 27, 2016
i worked at the eglinton location during store launch setting the store up for its grand opening i arrived early ,worked hard and left late many nights every day and they canned me and a few other workers the day before the opening (how cold is that ?) saying "we had to let a lot of people go because we can't afford to keep you all. strange how they hired totally new replacements tho. i call bullcrap on this, work there if you must but KEEP LOOKING for something better the term "a pat on the back is just a few inches away from a kick in the butt" is especially true with dollarama.
Pros
great co workers, cool vibe.
Cons
shifty, exploitive management
Customers made the job difficult
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 27, 2016
Often, customers would come in and make big messes with no regard to the employees who would have to clean it up afterwards. It made working there quite annoying.
Pros
Staff was nice
Cons
Careless customers often made working there difficult
good and friendly environment
cashier and merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
it was easy working with staff .very helpful owners. the owner always helped me in learning new experiences. very good job as my first job
Pros
flexibility
stress free
Customer Service Representative and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 25, 2016
Its fun place to work there no stress, work environment is professional and management people are approachable even the hardest of work is easy when all are working together
Fun job that was close to home and school.
Crew (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 25, 2016
I got this job from a friend in Highschool, I enjoyed it. Gave me the proper boost I needed for my experience in the workforce.
Pros
Down to Earth boss.
Cons
Late hours. (Home by 1am)
Productive and fun workplace
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BCMay 23, 2016
i learned a lot about merchandising and good customer service. i become more productive and responsible. The management is very supportive and understanding. it is a fun and productive workplace. My co-workers are friendly and easy to be with, we have good teamwork.
Pros
good customer service
Cons
short hours
fun place to work
Merchandising/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMay 23, 2016
good people, nice environment, lousy pay. This was a second job. Only worked part-time. Lots of logistical issues with this store
Pros
people
Cons
pay
My Review of Dollarama
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMay 19, 2016
Great place to work, unfortunately boss died and new manager has cut hours Have worked at this company for almost 16 years, no chance for advancement
Overall Decent Working Experience
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONMay 19, 2016
From having to put out stock, to pack up, to set up to cashing out customers, working at Dollarama has helped me develop a variety of skills to become a better sales associate.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Not enough hours
It is a nice place to work, nice managers and co workers.
Sales associate - Recent (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 18, 2016
I love arranging things to make it look better. i believe in Team work. Its a fun work place fr me. my only challenge is that its far from my house.
Valuable career experience
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 16, 2016
It is a excellent entry-level job, you will gain valuable experience for your further career.Friendly working environment.
Busy workplace with amazing co workers and managers
Part­Time Associate (Current Employee) –  Tecumseh, ONMay 15, 2016
Dollarama is a fast paced environment that keeps me busy throughout my shift whether I'm on cash, stocking shelves, breaking down skids or cleaning the aisles. Most of the staff are amazing people I'm glad I've been able to meet some of them and I couldn't ask for better people to work with.
Good place to begin your career and develop work experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day is very labour intensive and demanding.

I learned many skills that will help me progress through my career. The people and management were most often kind to me, but would often do what was in their best interest.

Would recommend beginning your retail career at another retail store that rewards their employees better for their hard work.
Pros
Respectable working staff
Cons
Very little opportunity for growth
Demanding and thankless workplace.
Management (Former Employee) –  OntarioMay 11, 2016
Limited opportunity for advancement, terrible wages, horrible benefits, little respect for Canadian labour laws.
I would not recommend this employer.
fun work place
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 10, 2016
It is always busy, specially during holidays. Co-workers are very fun to work with. The only problem was the scheduling process. Other than that it's fun working there.
Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
productive workplace
Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONMay 6, 2016
I learned how to handle different types of customers when working a Dollarmma. I learned that dealing with complaints is not an easy task and being on the Dollarama team taught me what it means to be patient and nice to customers.
Pros
easy and laid back work
Cons
short hours
It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers
Fun place to work
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 5, 2016
I was the youngest person there at the time and it was nice. Everyone took me under their wing and showed me how everything worked. It was a nice place to work.
Great place with great people
Shipping Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 5, 2016
Typical day would be to arrive at work, find my own machine and start moving pallets around the factory. By the time i'm done, I pack up my stuff and go home.