Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
a day at dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), St. John's, NLAugust 25, 2015
Pros: u get your birthday off paid
Cons: breaks are unfair
not enough staff to provide fast customer service where the lines are huge and that some employees that work there when asked to help on cash take their time and some cashiers never do their job they're hired to do.
Terrific times enjoyed evey minute
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee), Ottawa, CanadaAugust 23, 2015
Pros: Great deals
Cons: To much lifting.
Pleasure to look after the many customers and finding the product they were searching for. People really enjoy finding deals.Management was helpful and encouraging at all times. Co-workers were a good group. Hardest part was keeping up with restocking the shelves.
Working at Dollarama
Associate Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Oakville, ONAugust 21, 2015
A typical work day at Dollarama has me working with customers on a daily basis and answering their questions, I have learned to remain calm when I am working with a frusterated customer, especially around Christmas time, as it' our busiest time of the year.
Its been a learning expierience.
Store Associate and Supervisor (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABAugust 19, 2015
Pros: I had a permante amount of hours a week.
Cons: I had to work all night shifts
Putting out as much stock as I can, making sure the store is 100% full at all times. Supervise associates, helping them when they need it or answering any questions that they may have. In charge of maintaining store, doing paper work and handling money. The most enjoyable part of this job was training associates, developing their experience and helping/watching them grow. My coworkers were friendly, quite accepting and we all developed a mutual respect for one another.
Productive, and fun workplace
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee), Leduc, ABAugust 19, 2015
- it was a very straight forward job
- organization and customer satisfaction
- management was kind and reliable
- everyone working there was nice and had a great attitude while in the workplace
- finding room on shelves for new items
- unloading the skids when shipment came
a different expirience
Stacking and cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2015
Pros: calm mornings
Cons: heavy boxes
A very regular job, easy to do, fast paced at times but had good co-workers very supportive help alot when i just started.
Very organized workplace with a friendly atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service/Stocker (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONAugust 16, 2015
Pros: the work is not as exhausting as other work
Cons: hours were too short
I learned how to deal with different types of customers as a cashier at Dollarama. I was able to handle customer complaints everyday and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable part of my job.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: paid well
Cons: few hours
It is fun to work here and the people are great. The customers are nice towards me. People don't judge our differences and when it comes to work, we work really hard an just talking. It's just sad that they dont give enough hours to their workers and the time that they need to cut out workers because the business is slow. But still it's a great place to work
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Port Hawkesbury, NSJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Fun workplace.
Cons: worked every weekend.
Counted items management needed totals for. Opened store and turned on lights, made sure all tills were counted and ready to go. Got change for cashiers if they needed it. Counted all tills with manager and checked everything to make sure it was done correctly. Filled out employees hours and faxed to management for them to be paid. Dealt with customer complaints. Filled in for cashiers if needed. Stocked shelves and put any remaining products away so customers would not trip on them in the aisles.
Great people and environment
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in schedule; who doesn't love the dollar store
Cons: When management changed the team changed.
Had a lot of fun learning the retail industry and working in a fast paced environment. It was never a dull moment. I had fantastic co-workers and great management. This environment worked cohesively as a team.

Customer tend to come on strong, but it's the dollar store...so really people just want to come in and get out as fast as they can, but truth be told, it was always insanely busy. This kept the hours flowing and fast.
productive and fun work place
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Great staff and managment
Cons: poor benefits
From Dollarama I learned what its like to not just come to work to do what you've been told and that's,that. I learned how to love and make personal connections with my team members and learned how to work as a team to not only benefit oneself but the team and company.
Not Best
Store Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 21, 2015
Not a best place to work. But good as a survival job. Coworkers are OK .Depends on the management and the customers and the area.
productive
cashier & stocking (Former Employee), kirkland , MontrealJuly 21, 2015
Cons: early mornings
working at the dollarama taught you a lot on how to handle many different situations and doing many different jobs inside the store , I learnt how to deal with people better and to be more social. over all the other co workers always made my job better. towards the end my manager started to feel more for me than just an employee and that is part of the reasons why I left the job. The hardest part of the job was for sure lifting all those heavy boxes all day but made you gain more muscle , but I love helping customers find what they needed to see regulars inside the store each week.
An unlucky encounter
Worker (Former Employee), Montreal/QCJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Food to purchases
Cons: Not an enjoyable job
Honestly, I'm not hating on the company itself but, the dollarama that I worked at was poorly staffed and in my opinion a little shady. All the workers were immigrants who couldn't speak French except for a few who were around my age. Being a resident of Quebec you would expect the working staff to atleast know the native tongue, Nope. Apart from that I would describe my experience there as enlightening and quite difficult. Imagine, people coming in during the holidays and ringing up 250 articles of Christmas decorations, yup and guess who had to scan it all. Looking back I realize that my time there was between October-January afterwards I was formally dismissed from working there. The reason I still don't know. My hypothesis would be that they needed extra workers for the holidays which would make sense, but sucked for me considering I work during the most crowded time of the year and then get laid off right after. Like I said in the beginning im not hating on the company, all I'm saying is that particular Dollarama I had the opportunity to work at, for lack of a better term, Sucked.
Fun Co-workers, Poor manegement
Store Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 15, 2015
Pros: 15 minute paid break if working more than 4 hours.
Cons: Lack of hours.
A typical day at work could be working at a cash register, facing items, doing returns or breaking down skids and bringing items to the sale floor. It could be a combination of any of these. I learned how to operate a cash register, assist customers and properly display merchandise. Manegemant in my experience has been very poor. Managers do not know how to organize schedules, prioritze what needs to be done. Co-workers can be great people. Good co-workers make the job bearable and you can actually have some enjoyment working. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to understand the logic of the management. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is assisting customers.
Dollarama
Part-Time Sales Associate(Cashier) (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJuly 14, 2015
working at dollarama is okay its not a life time job but its a great first job for students who are looking for their job and its not a hard job easy tasks to be done each shift but they expect you to do a lot in a short shift
Retail Associate
Retail Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJuly 11, 2015
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: terrible hours, no advancement
Retail. That is it. You worked as cashier, and got terrible hours, all seasonal.
No room for advancement with terrible hours.
As it's seasonal, you were basically on-call.
High stressed work, and even tho workers were fired or left, you would not get anymore hours, they would rather hire more people on.
Terrible place.
good wadge, not good mangment
Associate (Current Employee), Vegreville, ABJuly 10, 2015
Pros: good wadge, wonderful coworkers, customer service
Cons: managment, no benifets, bullying in work place
as working at dollarama i find that it is not a vary good place to work, due to bullying in the workplace, worst experience Ive had, other than that good pay and most of the associates are wonderful to work with
fast pace environment
Customer service (Former Employee), Port Hawkesbury, NSJuly 10, 2015
I liked working at dollarama but when I had my daughter I wanted to stay home with her . its a very good job to meet and see a lot of people
Successful experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 9, 2015
A typical day will be standing in cashier for around 5 hours, putting back returns, and dealing with some customer issues. I leaned many things in this current job. I learned how to deal with different age group from different cultures, and genders. I also learned how to treat my coworkers and how to put limits with treating everyone.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more