Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,078 reviews matching the search
only benefit - the people you work with
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 March 2017
I enjoy the management, the people I work with are fun although the inventory system needs improvement as it is hard to stay motivated on a store level when head office sends too much freight and doesn't give enough hours to fulfill the needed duties to run the store.also they need to set a system to allow employees to feel motivated to work harder. There are set wages, you can't get a raise other then 10c a year and a small increase if you get promoted to key holder.
Pros
employees are friendly
Cons
no way of getting a pay raise
Overworked and underpaid
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 January 2017
You are expected to do ALOT a little in return. The staff can be great or not, its more of the luck of the draw. Upper management is picky, and a pain in the rear. They don't tend to care about the people just the numbers. They regularly don't pay vacation pay when they should and they under tax you so you have a major tax bill at the end of the year. Hours are never the same every week. They don't give you the raises they say they will and there is not a lot of room for promotion, they would rather bring in a newbie then they would promote a long time employee that is capable of the job. They have "full time" set at 25 hours so they can drop you down anytime especially after Christmas when you need hours the most. If it wasn't for the fact that there were great staff at my stores I would have hated this job. Its not a job that I would recommend to anyone.
Pros
... it was a job
Cons
irregular hours, poor pay... everything pretty much.
Fun Work, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON1 November 2016
I worked at Dollarama for several years, it was a fun place to work, enjoyable duties. The only bad thing is I seen managers come and go, most of them are not good manager, take the roll to their head. When a manager gets complaints upon them, they just move them to a different store, which I find isnt to good, cause they do the same stuff micromanage, and power trip. Instead they should train the polite ones within the store, and have better management.
Then another topic, they need to have more staff hours + staff for the work they want to be completed within a day, cause with not enough staff it makes you feel like your a slave for your 11 dollars an hour.
Overall its a good place if you have a good manager and if its a busy dollarama = more hours they give a week.
If your full time there your get the hours, if your part time you barely get hours. I wouldnt work there as part time, but I guess you have to start somewhere. (like somewhere else).
Also full time employees only get a 10 cent raise a year, its a dead end job.
Pros
Enjoyable duties, Nice Customers
Cons
Bad Management, Have to work Hoildays
Do not work here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 March 2017
Store was constantly crowded with overstock, storage space was always full. Bad management, no security cameras. No benefits but M-F shifts were nice.
Pros
Monday to Friday shifts
Cons
Only part time available, a lady got a raise of only 20c after working there for 3 years, disorganized, messy, everyone being moved to receiving, to cash or another aisle on a daily basis.
Do not work for dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 March 2017
At dollarama you'll usually find a friendly staff who are pretty easy and enjoyable to work with, but in general management tends to have unreasonably high expectations, often asking you to stay late and work for free or even skip your lunches. hours and extremely unreliable and the upper management (district manager and upward) are disrespectful and only care about their money. This is a hard place to work, despite the fact that you'll make a few friends
Pros
Friendly in-store staff
Cons
Long hours, poor management, unreliable schedule, unrealistic expectations
Easy casual retail job. Not a career.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 February 2017
A typical day at work is to clock in, read the day's assignment (Cashier, Stocking, etc) and go do it until told otherwise, or a customer asks for assistance. Typical retail work, Minimum wage.

The workplace culture was very casual, almost to a fault. No hats, wear a Dollarama apron or poncho, be polite. That's about it.

The hardest part of the job is that your hours will be cut. Expect 4 to 12 hour weeks, unless you're promoted. You will hear about benefits during the training, however these benefits will not apply to you as a part time worker.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Little hours
No advancements, terrible wage, and poor managment
Keyholder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK15 March 2017
They don't appreciate your work, no advances worked her for 3 years got two raises equivalent to .30 cents not including the raise you get when you go from cashier to keyholder. Poor management staff and poor hours and wage.
Pros
Cons
Alot
great experience and fast past
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 March 2017
A typical day at dollarama is very busy and fast past. I learn how to be a better leader. management is very nice and supportive. everybody is like a family and works well together. hardest part is having many things too do in a 4 hour shift. most enjoyable part is making friends and being able to work with them and just having fun while working.
Pros
long time friendships
Cons
long hours, open almost every holiday
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
It's okay
merchandiser, overnights, recovery, and cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 March 2017
It's alright if it's your first job because you still have a lot to go through and learn. It teaches you time management, customer service and handling cash for closing. They push you to do your best and they do their best to help you grow professionally getting you ready for either a career at Dollarama or a better job.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours.
Good people to work for
Associate (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON21 March 2017
I have been with the company four years and they have been very good to me. They were understanding and supportive when necessary. It is a comfortable atmosphere and friendly staff and management. There is always something to do and learn.
Pros
They have in store promotions where you can win Timmy's cards etc.
Cons
Sometimes shifts are unpredictable as is most retail stores.
A productive place to work, fast pace,friendly environment,clean.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 March 2017
A typical day at work would be punch in and out every shift.
Counting till before & after shift.
Making drops from till.
Making cash drops.
facing Isles.
Cleaning.
I have learned to respect the people around me and Costumers.
it's very challenging from one day to the next.
fast pace you have to be on you're toes every day.
I loved working with the management they where always there to help you and to listen to you're concerns.
I loved working with all the staff & co-workers we are one big happy family.
the hardest part of the job was unloading the skids.
I love working with people and enjoy hard labor.
Pros
getting along with the coworkers & Managment
Cons
not enough hours
Ok if you just want to pay the bills while you get a real job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 March 2017
Unrealistic expectations leave most managers no other options but to work hours without clocking in, effectively working for free. But I guess we are not doing this for the money in the first place; even though Dollarama is worth over a billion can$ the average manager makes just a few dollars above minimum wage. And be ready to be making that much for a long while as there’s almost zero chance of being promoted beyond the position of manager unless you’ve been working for them for close to a decade. Lots of DMs are hired from outside.

Training is basically non-existent; they just expect you to land running.
Pros
Most of the people you work with are awesome.
Cons
You'll have to work for free to meet HO's demands, no training, lots of heavy lifting, no chance of being promoted beyond store manager, very low compensation
Fine for starting, not great for families
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 March 2017
If you live with your parents, or are previously retired and bored, its okay.
If you need to survive a family, do not work at a Dollarama. The hours are unpredictable, you could go from 25 hours a week one month, to 4 hours a week the next. They do not trust their employees, or make sure there is a safe and happy work environment.
The expectations are also ridiculously high, and the payoff for a job well done doesnt exist.
Sometimes you will find a good manager, but most times the district manager will disrespect themto the point of making them cry.
Advancement isn't worth it - the Assistant Manager only made 0.75 cents more than the Keyholders.
No good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan6 March 2017
Job at first was good to me, now it no good, being taken advantage of. Hours were good at first but as soon as they know you are able to push freight out really fast they start giving you less hours to put your freight out. You would think if you can work your butt off you think you would get more hours. No job security at all, even being designated as an Assistant Manager in a small store, they consider 25 hours a week full time hours. Anywhere else considers full time to be 37 to 40 hours a week. Anyone considering a job at Dollarama should look elsewhere.
Pros
Nothing good about it
Cons
Hours suck
Not a place to work
Forecast Analyst (Former Employee) –  montreal24 February 2017
Not a good place to work. Low salary and no recognition.
I was happy when I left . I remember even paying for my coffee.
They make so much money but when it comes to staff bonuses it was almost nothing.

Top management including HR are all very arrogant.
A dollar away (a dollarama review)
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC20 January 2017
Everything at Dollarama was pretty easy going. We didn't have a spicified uniform other then a small apron, in which you carried your tools. I mostly work as a cashier during my time over there, with some stockage from time to time. The days were never too long, since we always had something to do. Either you had to put things on the shelves, or you had to take care of customers. Although at he end of the day, the customers made or broke your day.

Dollarma was actually my first cashier job. It was frustrating at first, since I was doing mistakes left and right. Although over the course of a hour I was able to get it down. My manager would always be happy to help with a smile, which made me wanna work harder and better too make her proud.

The hardest part about working would have been the angry customers, but eventually you learn how to hold your ground. But the ironic part was that the best part of the job were also the customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough complexity
Not your typical retail ( don't work for peanuts )
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2016
Dollarama is a sweat shop I wouldn't recommend someone I hate to work there. workers are
Under paid barely appreciated and over worked I.e( if u work a 7-8 hour shift depending which store u work at u will be lucky to get two breaks) I mean they will give u 30 min break prolly when ur shift is almost done but hey what do I know overall it's not the worst place on earth there are worst jobs but just make sure u go in there with a mindset understanding that ur a merchandiser /maid First customer service and everything else comes last the only glimmer of light for this company is that most of the employees are genuinely nice people who have been tricked into believing there in a good company that cares about them but they really don't i mean have u ever had a job where they make u work 6 days a week and don't even ask ur permission they say u have to !! And one last tip at DOLLARAMA expressing how u really feel about a manager or management in general will get u nowhere. voicing opinions and complaining is frowned upon they won't tell u this so I will good luck to those who still apply u see that what I've written is not a lie
Pros
Friendly conworkers
Cons
Long hours no appreciation to get a break is a battle
Productive and enjoyable work place
Aisle-owner/Stock associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
Working at Dollarama, I learned to be self-sufficient, to judge my work properly and accurately. That when Do not know something to ask many questions and retain the many answers. That management is always there to help and support as long as you do what you need to do and give 100%.The hardest thing about working there was that the hours varied but other than that it was challenging and my capacity for knowledge grew exponentially. My co-workers made my time there vey enjoyable and I learned from the many different people
Pros
Good management
Cons
Lack of hours
Tiring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2017
This job is pretty busy, most times you are not bored because there is always something to be doing. I learned how to keep the store neat and tidy and also learned all my cashier skills here. Most of management was OK but there is some that were just not fair and picked favorites and were just rude. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with all the different types of costumers but the best feeling is when you stop someone from stealing. I always left this place sick or in a bad mood tho so it wasn't the job for me.
Pros
Got payed
Cons
Always made me sick

2.8