Dollarama

Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Ridiculous expectations.
Key holder (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: good relationship with co-workers and manager
Cons: constantly shortening hours, insane workload on less hours, some staff refusing tasks, unrealistic goals, unsafe conditions, customers abuse the staff because of the "it's only a dollar store" attitude, hourly pay is an insult to keyholder responsibilities and duties
Dollarama does not give managers the authority they need to solve issues quickly, requiring an "escalation" procedure that takes forever to get an answer. Examples: an expired food vendor license not replaced after 6 months. Tripping hazzards not fixed after months of requesting. Requesting replacement price guns and needle guns after they break and they never arrive.

Skids are precariously built in the warehouses causing employees at store level to get hurt when breaking them down, even as carefully as possible, because of badly built bases (soft, partly empty squished boxes with heavy things on top).

I've been with the company for 5 years and I've gone from 37 to 25 hours/week. I can barely keep up with bills now and I have a schedule that doesn't give me any flexibility to find another part-time to compensate, while I keep spending the same amount in transportation every week too.

On a 5 hour shift, I'm expected to put returns away in my aisle (night staff doesn't do that anymore), clean it up and do my inventory counts. This takes me about half of my shift because the aisle is always a mess (health and beauty section, where clothes are always everywhere and on the floor, particularly after a weekend). Sometimes I have to go on cash from 4-5pm, not counting the running back and forth for change, voids, customer requests and deliveries, because I'm a keyholder. This leaves me about 2 hours to work in stocking the aisle itself, with an average of 2 trolleys loaded with boxes a day.

I was away for medical leave for 3 months, came back and was not in the system. As a result, – more... I have not been paid for my first week back STILL. Many calls to human resources and district manager have solved nothing.

We have heard that people with more than 5 years in the company will no longer get a raise, so there is no incentive to continue. Bet all the corporate still sees their raises... No opportunity for advancement either, since all we see is hours getting cut as they release another profit report.

Dollarama treats their employees with no respect. Store manager is great and understanding, but has her hands tied when the higher ups treat everyone has garbage and just want to make another million. – less
Great people and a great experience
Cashier (Part-time) (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMay 12, 2014
Pros: great co workers, great management, good atmosphere
Cons: lacking in hours, no visible signs of advancement
I love it there. I love the people I work with because they are fun to be around and generally motivate me more. Every time I come in it's like coming to see friends which they kind of are, and it makes me happy and it shows when I greet customers and go about my day.

I've learned that communication is one of the most important things in any job or any aspect of life really. As well as the perks or managing time and efforts. I learned to be more personal to everyone which has made me enjoy my job as a cashier, I used to be so incredibly shy which shows at times but not as much as a couple years ago.

The management see us as people and as equals but not enough to be "too" friendly. They treat us with a great amount of respect as we do to them. They try to accommodate us when they can while maintaining the stores needs which I find they do an amazing job at. My last job before Dollarama had not so great management and I was a bit hesitant but I couldn't stay that way with the Manager of Dollarama.

The co workers are very understanding and tell me about themselves and I learn little things from time to time about them and their experiences which I enjoy. We also help each other and communicate very well and succeed in most goals we've been given, or at the least try our best.

The hardest part about the job is when we are short staffed or unexpectedly bombarded with a lot of customers but we handle it very well together to give the best service we can.

I enjoy cleaning the most in my work because I get to walk around and occasionally help a wandering guest look for something. – more... Its a great feeling when I know I've helped someone in some way even if its just in such a small way. – less
Not my idea of a great place to work.
Associate (Former Employee), Maple Ridge, BCJanuary 25, 2014
Pros: my co-workers were the friendliest people i have ever met
Cons: managment
A typical day of work included everything but the kitchen sink.

I learnt that customers at a dollar store can complain in multiple ways about how paying $1.00 for a 1L bottle of Pepsi is extortion.

Management was not the friendliest. For example: I quit because I got a job which offered to pay me more money and was offering me full time hours, compared to the 12-14 hours a week I was getting at the dollar store. I took the job because at the time I had a 7 month old baby boy and working 12 hours a week at 10.25 was just not paying the bills. The day I told my manager, she asked me "are you really choosing you son over dollarama?" That was my deciding factor.

My co-workers were a different story though. Probably the friendliest group of individuals I have ever met. Some shifts with these certain co-workers actually made coming to work not so bad. There was never a dull moment when there were 3 people than can always make the best of any situation.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers that will argue until the were purple in the face why we were a terrible company because we sold 1L bottles of Pepsi for $1.00 which is apparently extortion, and we also did not accept credit cards and that they never knew we did not accepts credit cards, when there is 1 sign on each door as you enter the building that say no cheques or credit cards accepted, and when you walk in there is another sign that also says no cheques or credit cards accepted, when you arrive at the cash register it said on the register " we do not accept credit cards or cheques"

Working with 2 co-workers – more... specifically was the most enjoyable part of the job. – less
Dollarama Summary
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Dartmouth, NSAugust 6, 2014
Pros: fun, fast paced, time goes by quickly, regular customers add a personal touch to every day
Cons: inconsistent hours, sometimes stressful
A typical day at Dollarama consists mainly of one-on-one customer service experiences. Between ringing in purchases and assisting in finding the perfect product, I find myself pretty busy. I also am required to break down skids, stock aisle shelves, keep pop coolers filled, and ensure the store is tidy at all times.
My co-workers have all become very close friends of mine as most of us have been there for a long time. My time at Dollarama has been so far almost 3 years. Work is always fun because I know I'll be with my friends and second family. I've never had any hard times getting along with new co-workers and I find that when I first started I was made to feel like family almost immediately.
The hardest part of my job is keeping those impossible to please customers happy. I believe everyone should walk out of an establishment feeling happy, rather than upset or angry, so I always take it as my personal duty to put my friendly smile on and do my best to please them.
My favorite part of my job is when my regular customers come in and greet me by name, talk about whatever. It really lightens up even the most brutal of days.
Friendly, well - organized , team - oriented company who live up to the standards and expectations.
Cashier and Merchandiser (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 22, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and effort to work together and come one as a whole.
Cons: low hourly wage.
When i arrive Typically on a work day at Dollarama, there is the daily shipment of products that are to be put out placed in my assigned aisle (Glassware & Plastics). Before beginning to stalk the shelves you have to do you're inventory counts and ensure any missing products match up with the damaged products reported. I then start unpacking products and organizing them on the shelves, while being on-call as a cashier when line - ups rise to provide fast service for the customers. Following unpacking the last products shipped, you then look in the backroom inventory and fill any products you can. While merchandising i learnt how to view a vision in my mind on how to organize and set up displays in the best and most clear way possible to make it easier on customers while searching for a product. The management and Co-workers at dollarama are what i would explain to be the best possible fit. Everyone is friendly, have great work ethic, help others even without being asked and as a team we exceed the standards ad expectations. The most enjoyable part of this job is working in a people - oriented environment and there are always new challenges you can begin to take on. The hardest part of the job is the at times requirement for heavy lifting while merchandising.
Excellent Management
Key Holder (Current Employee), Wallaceburg, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Pros: Friendly Atmosphere
Cons: Long Commute
The Dollarama that I presently work at is an incredibly welcoming atmosphere. The employees are always willing to go above and beyond to help the customer.

My typical day at work consists of; breaking down the skids that come in daily on week days, sorting the merchandise to go in the appropriate aisle, and working in my assigned aisle to fully restock the aisle to the best of my ability. I complete the closing procedures and confirm that all money is safely deposited before locking the doors at night. When I work mornings, I unlock the door and proceed to complete the opening procedures.

I have learned how to handle a heavy amount of responsibility and pressure. I have also learned how to effectively problem solve.

The management at Dollarama was completely knowledgeable about Dollarama products as well as procedures. I have the honour of being a part of the management crew. People feel comfortable enough to approach me with any questions or concerns that they have. Whenever I have a question or concern, I know that I can always go to my manger.

The most enjoyable part of my job is honestly the co-workers. Everyone is happy to be there, and are willing to assist you with anything that you may need. I have the privilege of obtaining amazing friendships with many of my co-workers. Another thing I enjoy about working at Dollarama is being able to be social with the customers. I always give them the attention that they deserve.
It's a job, go to work, do your job, go home!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Barrie, OntarioMarch 4, 2015
Pros: interaction with customers is always entertaining
Cons: excessive paperwork counting stock daily, low hours for regular staff
Dollarama pays minimum wage for regular staff
Key holders make a little more than that, and are part time only.

Benefits are for full time employees, only medical no dental.

Assistant Managers make a little more than key holders about $12.50 an hour with full time hours, and bonuses based on making budget/target etc. effective after 1 yr of store open, and 6 months with a full time employee status (full time status starts after 3 month probationary period)

Store Managers make more with same bonus structure but with higher percent payout.

Raises for Assistant and Store managers is based on your yearly review (which takes place up to 6 months after the yr end)

They do give a x-mas bonus, it's not fantastic, but at least it's something!

They do have a pension plan that you can contribute to if you wish to do so.

They have high expectations with performance and time frames, the only computerized systems are the punch clocks, and registers. They do not have a Point Of Sale system otherwise, everything is done on paper and by fax. It is a very physically demanding job, with a lot of latter work and lifting boxes over your head consistently on a daily basis.

The best part of the job is the staff, and customers!
The only thing that was good was the hours!
Stocker (Former Employee), Vernon, BCJanuary 18, 2013
Pros: awesome christmas party
Cons: horrible and rude management, stressful, lack of consideration, ridiculous expectations, dangerous, unsafe workplace
Awful place to work. The management was terrible at my store and extremely rude. It was very difficult to do this job effectively because of how poorly it was managed and the higher ups really treat you like objects. When I was laid off, because I was seasonal, I saw my hours cut on the timetable before anyone actually bothered to tell me, so I panicked for hours before anyone spoke. The workload versus the time given to do said work was often ridiculous and the management had overly high expectations of what you could do, stressing you on purpose which as a high stress person I found extremely taxing. I like being loyal to the company I work for but I felt no loyalty at all working here. It was also extremely dangerous at times as stock people at Dollarama are constantly expected to climb ladders and lift precarious, heavy boxes down from over their heads. The company was constantly shipping in more than what was actually needed, creating pileups of unused stock which could not be shelved.

The plus? Awesome hours - I had weekends off, so getting errands done was a piece of cake. Also, my fellow employees were great. :)

March 1, 2013

this sounds just like the store i work in its crazy

Enjoyable people to work with. Fast pace and a lot of variety of assignments.
Supervisor / Clerk (Current Employee), Sussex, NBSeptember 26, 2012
Pros: getting to view the newest products first.
Cons: physically hard on a body.
Dollarama is fast paced right from the moment I arrive in the morning. Start with daily inventory sheets, next count in a cash to perform back up cash duties.Next pull a cart, usually more than one cart, of product from the warehouse area and place stock out on shelves in the proscribed formations. Once the assigned ally is done continue to next ally. Pallets of stock come in about mid day , two of us break these down and sort onto carts. Answer any questions from customers, this mostly requires a good memory. evening shifts require the shift to be split into two halves, half product stocking and half recovery. Daily auditing of safes and recociliating the books at the end of the day.
My manager is very easy to communicate with. Most of my co-workers are hard workers with a touch of humor to make the day go a little faster.
The most difficult part of the job is working on cement floors, the only cure for this is a really good pair of shoes.
The most enjoyable part of the job is completing the goals my manager sets for me or the one I set for myself each day.
Easy workplace for beginners
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Current Employee), OntarioMay 24, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff, easy work
Cons: Constant changing of management, low hours, min. pay with no raises, terrible benefits
Best part about this job is that its easy work and doesn't take too much thinking. As a sales associate/merchandiser I work the cashiers and put out product/maintain appearance of the shelves and walls. All of the duties are repetitive so it becomes very easy to grow lazy and bored of it all depending how long you stay there. Management at the store I work at is constantly changing, assistant managers and key holders are coming and going monthly. This makes it hard to build personal relationship and trust with staff. Co-workers are usually amazing and make the job worth the while. They are there to talk to when the store is not busy. I have learned from this job that being at the management level in retail is very stressful and doesn't provide many pros for wanting to move up the ladder. Dollarama is a great starter job for high school students or anyone without job experience. Dollarama is a multi-billion dollar company and should consider upgrading the benefits for full-time staff and offering a more competitive wage or offering raises every so often.
I love working at Dollarama :)
Cashier/Stock/Stock Room Cleaner (Current Employee), Windsor, ONMay 4, 2015
Pros: Christmas bonus in store credit cards, being very sociable
Cons: Not enough hours
Everyday that I work at Dollarama I go home happy. I love saving money, and getting a good products, so when I help people do the same I enjoy the feeling. The typical day that I have while I have worked at this establishment would be coming in a half hour early to look at my duties for the day, who I will be working with, my positions that I will be on( Cleaning certain isles or areas of the store/ what cash register I will be using)

Some of the things that I have learned while at Dollarama are; better teamwork skills, working in a fast environment(bagging a large order)
front facing and rotating products.
My management is amazing, always flexible with hours and understanding with my college schedule.

Co-workers were very accepting towards me when I first started working at the location. All very mature and welcoming towards me.

The hardest part about my job is usually around Christmas season. Everyone is hectic and sometimes verbal towards me, other employees and even sometimes other customers due to miscommunication on occasion.

Like I stated before, I love my job because I help people save money.
There is always something to do; you are always busy
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
It was easy to pick up on the responsibilities of being a keyholder, and the workplace and co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
The fellow keyholders were always on their task and did everything expected of them as best as they could.
The management team never slacked off and were real leaders.

The hardest part of the job was trying to do everything as perfectly and as efficiently as possible; there never seemed to be enough time to do a full day's work. It didn't help that the hours were short and so much was expected to be done.
On a good day, where there are few customers and little trouble, a lot could be done. On bad days, where customers come in crowds and there's not enough employees on the floor to assist inquiring customers/or handle cash, it takes a toll on everyone.
All in all, the most frustrating thing about the job was that I always wanted to do more than the hours I was given allowed. There is always something to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I was doing something. I really enjoy working, it came as a pleasant surprise but I truly enjoy working at Dollarama. My co-workers were awesome and friendly and always did their best, the customers were diverse and interesting, and the neighbourhood the Dollarama I worked in was a nice and bustling one.
An unlucky encounter
Worker (Former Employee), Montreal/QCJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Food to purchases
Cons: Not an enjoyable job
Honestly, I'm not hating on the company itself but, the dollarama that I worked at was poorly staffed and in my opinion a little shady. All the workers were immigrants who couldn't speak French except for a few who were around my age. Being a resident of Quebec you would expect the working staff to atleast know the native tongue, Nope. Apart from that I would describe my experience there as enlightening and quite difficult. Imagine, people coming in during the holidays and ringing up 250 articles of Christmas decorations, yup and guess who had to scan it all. Looking back I realize that my time there was between October-January afterwards I was formally dismissed from working there. The reason I still don't know. My hypothesis would be that they needed extra workers for the holidays which would make sense, but sucked for me considering I work during the most crowded time of the year and then get laid off right after. Like I said in the beginning im not hating on the company, all I'm saying is that particular Dollarama I had the opportunity to work at, for lack of a better term, Sucked.
A simple job but very fun
Store Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere, diverse responsibilities
Cons: Seasonal rushes were very busy
One of the best parts of this job was that there wasn't really a typical day at work. I would either work the cash register, stock shelves or clean the store.

I learned the basics or working in a retail store. Working a cash register, counting money at the end of the day, maximizing shelf space to display everything.

Management was very friendly, I always felt comfortable talking to my superiors as equals and felt that my work was being recognized. Whenever an employee was reprimanded, I always felt that there was good reason for it.

My co-workers were one of the best parts of the job. I got along very well with all of my co-workers and maintained relationships with all of them outside of work at some point. I still keep in contact with one of the co-workers I met at Dollarama.

The hardest part of my job was during the Holiday season, where there was so much work that it was difficult to think straight but luckily it didn't last forever.

I enjoyed many things about this job. I enjoyed my co-workers, my managers, I liked counting the money at the end of the day with my supervisor. It felt like a game when I had a set of items that needed space on the shelves. It was oddly satisfying to arrange a shelf so that all items were next to related items and spaced properly.
worst place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 11, 2015
Pros: the other employees were nice
Cons: stupid and unreasonable expectations
At the dollarama i worked at i got about maybe 5 minutes of training on my first day and that was it, I was put on till, and at firs the job was fine, but after about a month or so it became too much. they started expecting me to finish 3 carts of pricing and deal with all customers and clean the till area all im the 4-5 hour shifts I got and that is ridiculous because no one is capable of doing that. and the worse part is that I was unable to take a day off when I was sick because they kept telling me that I had to come in because no one else could, and I lived the farthest away from the store. i worked overtime hours almost every week. pretty soon the management decided to give us deadlines for the jobs we had to do. and since i was on till mine was pricing and cleaning the till area and ringing customers through. the time limit they gave us wasn't enough to even finish one job, I had two hours to finish all pricing and deal with customers. 2 hours for 2-3 carts of pricing, and dealing with the customers. it became too much for me and i quit 3 months into the job. I would never recommend anyone to work at dollarama.
Customer Service/Sales and Key holder (Current Employee), WinnipegApril 7, 2015
Pros: They don't want to supply you with anything
Cons: You have a job! Plain and simple
Dollarama only supplies you with a job. Plain and simple.
They offer no benefits, other than 80% off of meds, and that you can claim on income tax. So they make you pay into it.

Breaks are only 1 - 30 min. There is no coffee break before lunch, or after lunch for many. Some people get them, but not enough get them. There is not enough people who work cash, so that people can have a break and there is way too much stock that is delivered on each day.

The company does not support any charities that I can see and not only that, but they do not supply cutlery, or paper towels for you to dry your hands on. Often people have to dry their hands on their clothes.
You cannot even have your own locks, they have to be the locks that the company supplies and the locks suck!! Any key can open a lock. No matter who's locker it is.

Maybe Dollarama should concentrate more on their employees and their well being instead of opening as many stores as they can and only care about the BOTTOM LINE! When the store does well, offer your employees, a bonus and not just MANAGEMENT!!!
Productive at Dollarama
Merchandiser and stocker (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
Pros: Two 15-minutes breaks, 30-minutes lunch break
Cons: Coming too early like 7 am to work, too late to finish work like 6 pm and thus going home in rush hour
I was in training at Dollarama. First I helped with loading the baskets, shelves, brackets, carts, shopping carts, cashier's desks, and shelves for the bunkers. Then, I helped unload the pallets from the truck and unload the boxed goods and items from the pallets. After that, I was trained how to put the goods and items properly on the shelves. Also, I put hooks on the wall with different items. The hardest part of the work was adjusting the shelves according to the size of the items. Another hardest part of the job was looking for a box of a particular item in order to re-stock that item on the shelf. The co-workers were okay. The supervisors who were training us were friendly except two. There were two co-workers who were not okay in my opinion. One was too much boasting of her background and say Canada is not better than Greece and has too much attitude. The other barely spoke any good English and did not understand anything and made herself not understandable to others. The manager was okay.
nice stores to shop at,only to shop at..
NA (Current Employee), AlbertaApril 3, 2013
Pros: works around my sons schedule, like the staff
Cons: see near entire review
I currently am employed for this company in alberta,this year will be 5 years and other then liking most of the staff I work with I do not feel this company truly appreciates their staff,5 years and other then a change in job title with slight pay increase I have only gotten an aditional .10 cents raise otherwise from this company which shows me no incentive to stay only do to provide for my son,hours are constantly getting cut yet the workload and expectations increase,skids constantly come in in poor condition we have had numerous injurys because of them breaking when we are trying to unload them,we have no security have to deal with drunk shoplifters on our own,overall I pray I am not in this place for life unless they get there stuff together lower there expectations of stores with cut hours pay what people are worth or atleast regular raises every 6 months-year.
Busy and involved workplace with encouraging and supportive staff.
cash and aisle clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaApril 2, 2015
Pros: In a shopping mall, excellent staff
Cons: Very loud, hours could be sparse
A fun and fast paced work environment with supportive management and staff.

Due to the location in a shopping mall we were always very busy with both customers and balancing stock. It was very important to have very good multitasking to handle customers, stocking, and talking about plans with associates.

Dollarama taught me how to think on my feet and to appreciate the people who work on the stock side of a retail business. Due to its location we were often huge shipments of merchandise daily and it was only through the efforts of our supervisors and managers that our system worked as smoothly as it did.

At the end of the day the most difficult part of the job *and* the most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. Most of the people are strangers to you and you don't know how they're going to act toward you so it can be a guessing game. The best part of working for Dollarama was certainly getting to meet all sorts of new people every day as well as my wonderful associates but the worst part was the grumpy customers.
Great work environment
Shift Supervisor/Management (Current Employee), Guelph, ONNovember 28, 2013
Working at Dollarama has been a very positive experience. In the 3 years that I have been there, I have truly learned what it means to be part of a team.

The management is fantastic. They are very flexible when it comes to the schedule, and when you need time off. I find the staff are easy to get along with as well.

Everyday at Dollarama is a new experience. Whether you're dealing with your co-workers, or the customers, it's always a new adventure. You never know what you're walking into.

Personally I find the most enjoyable part of working at Dollarama is putting out stock. After having spent the day replenishing the stock, I can leave for the day with a sense of accomplishment, and knowing I've done a good job.

The hardest part about working at Dolllarama is trying to stay motivated when all the tasks for the day are completed. Every job says there's always something to do, but sometimes that's not the case.

All in all, I would give Dollarama a 4/5 star rating. It's an excellent place to work.
Headquarters