Dollarama Employee Reviews

Fun Work, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON1 November 2016
I worked at Dollarama for several years, it was a fun place to work, enjoyable duties. The only bad thing is I seen managers come and go, most of them are not good manager, take the roll to their head. When a manager gets complaints upon them, they just move them to a different store, which I find isnt to good, cause they do the same stuff micromanage, and power trip. Instead they should train the polite ones within the store, and have better management.
Then another topic, they need to have more staff hours + staff for the work they want to be completed within a day, cause with not enough staff it makes you feel like your a slave for your 11 dollars an hour.
Overall its a good place if you have a good manager and if its a busy dollarama = more hours they give a week.
If your full time there your get the hours, if your part time you barely get hours. I wouldnt work there as part time, but I guess you have to start somewhere. (like somewhere else).
Also full time employees only get a 10 cent raise a year, its a dead end job.
Pros
Enjoyable duties, Nice Customers
Cons
Bad Management, Have to work Hoildays
Always busy but best job i ever had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
A typical work day included pulling stock, stocking shelves, helping clean, helping close the store, and cleaning.

I learnt everything I know about working from working at the Dollarama. I was once told by my manager that I could go far in this company or in any retail company because my sale skills and how great I am with customers was really good.

management was a little on and off at this company. Stress played a big part in it and the supervisors weren't as patient or willing to teach like I thought they should be. I love almost everyone I worked with and made very good relationships with a lot of people.

The hardest part of this job was trying to get all your stuff done in one night. I was always very busy and never stopped moving until the end of my shift. The best part of this job was being able to stock my "aisle" and see that all my work that night paid off.
Pros
long hours, split shifts, decent pay at the time
Cons
nothing
Not your typical retail ( don't work for peanuts )
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2016
Dollarama is a sweat shop I wouldn't recommend someone I hate to work there. workers are
Under paid barely appreciated and over worked I.e( if u work a 7-8 hour shift depending which store u work at u will be lucky to get two breaks) I mean they will give u 30 min break prolly when ur shift is almost done but hey what do I know overall it's not the worst place on earth there are worst jobs but just make sure u go in there with a mindset understanding that ur a merchandiser /maid First customer service and everything else comes last the only glimmer of light for this company is that most of the employees are genuinely nice people who have been tricked into believing there in a good company that cares about them but they really don't i mean have u ever had a job where they make u work 6 days a week and don't even ask ur permission they say u have to !! And one last tip at DOLLARAMA expressing how u really feel about a manager or management in general will get u nowhere. voicing opinions and complaining is frowned upon they won't tell u this so I will good luck to those who still apply u see that what I've written is not a lie
Pros
Friendly conworkers
Cons
Long hours no appreciation to get a break is a battle
Treat you like cattle
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WINDSOR,ON4 October 2016
THEY PERFORM TEDIOUS, RIDICULOUS, TIME CONSUMING, cycle counts daily. Counting thousands of candy, chocolate bars that are neatly stacked (which have to be unstacked to count) and are in MULTIPLE locations.

Managements only concern is the amount of product they force you to put out.

The pay does not equal the amount of work you perform. Not only are you required to get a TON of merchandise out but you are constantly interrupted by having to go on cash 15-30 times a day.

And then there are staff meetings-pointless, babbling on and on about who is not performing, who needs to work faster, who left what where, etc.......which they just said two days prior.

The staff are all miserable, they treat the merchandisers like cattle, the team-lead, key holders get a few extra cents but loads more work.

If you want a LOSER JOB--APPLY NOW.
Pros
SEE ABOVE
Cons
TOO MANY TO MENTION
Fast-paced and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2016
You sign in 5-10 minutes before your shift.
Getting debriefed on what your tasks for the day are plus what you could have done better the day before.
Depending where you're assigned for the day, you start working on the floor or in the back right away.

There's no time for slacking or slowing down because of how much people come in and out and how much needs to be done in addition to being maintained.

It's a fast paced workplace which teaches workers how to be on time, do the most that they can do in the given time and to go beyond what's expected of them to make the work more efficient for everyone else.

It's very team oriented, and when you work there, it is very noticeable.

The most I enjoyed about this job is the people/customers you get to meet everyday, and the management and colleagues that work with you.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Fast-paced, non-stop work
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 April 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Good Job for keeping busy
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 October 2016
Love the work and the hours. But it lacks work life balance and room to grow career wise. Have been a retail manager for years and the pay does not recognize this.
Good place to begin your career and develop work experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 May 2016
A typical day is very labour intensive and demanding.

I learned many skills that will help me progress through my career. The people and management were most often kind to me, but would often do what was in their best interest.

Would recommend beginning your retail career at another retail store that rewards their employees better for their hard work.
Pros
Respectable working staff
Cons
Very little opportunity for growth
Sometimes inadequate working environment.
Cahier Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 April 2016
My co-workers were really nice to get along with, good team members and skill builders. Management weren't always the best to get along with at times. I learned different techniques at my various jobs over the past few years: i.e. introducing customers to new products at Dollarama, putting up and taking down of various displays.
Pros
Paid vacation at Dollarama, gift cards for Dollarama at Christmas
Cons
Sometimes long hours, especially if you're not prepared for it and they ask for me to stay beyond my scheduled shift.
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON3 April 2016
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
Pros
great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons
Store manager with superiority complex.
I am enjoying my job at Dollarama. All my co-workers are very friendly.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2016
I have become an active team player. and now i have these skills during my job at Dollarama;-
• Commitment to providing effective customer service.
• Energetic, and passionate about work.
• Effective verbal, and communication skills.
• Self-motivated with problem solving, and organization skills.
• Friendly behavior.
• Good listener.
• Innovative.
• Time management skills.
Pros
Employees benefits, Vacation plan, pension etc
Cons
limited hours for employees.
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, QC10 March 2016
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Pros
First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons
minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
A decent work environment with some people who are great to talk to.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2016
Typical day would be to help customers pay for their items while filling pop or snack s near the front of the store.
I learned how to work on a till and how to deal with the pressure of a busy day.
Management was okay, would take several breaks to smoke but was overall pretty good.
Most co-workers were easy to get along with.
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters.
Most enjoyable part was my break.
Pros
Life Experience
Cons
No other pros
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2016
When I was working at winners I gain more knowledge and experiences. I enjoy doing markdown and do processing especially in home department and in kids department. I enjoy working too in the frontline as a cashier and dealing with different people. In this company I learn how to work as a team with my co workers and respect their culture and belief.
Pros
free lunches and vacation pay
Cons
no chance to become a fulltime employee
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 May 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start

2.8