Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,174 reviews matching the search
Fun Working environment
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON25 May 2017
A typical day at Dollarama consitsed of stalking shelves, assisting customers, occasionally working the cash register and clean up by the end of the day. I learned a lot about customer service and organization. The people at Dollarama were especially fantastic and we became one big family in just a couple of days. The hardest part of the job would had to have been some of the difficult customers that would walk in through the store. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with great people and helping others.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Difficult customers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 May 2017
I learned about managing, inventory and many other things. Hardest part of the job was when people were constantly calling in and management was always changing.
Pros
Tons of options for lunch since it is located in the mall
Cons
Long hours, management always changing, people not showing up
Great store
Employed Full Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 May 2017
I enjoyed working here, it was a great way to socialize and the work was easy and fun. I had a great boss but there was very strict rules when it came to vacation and sick time, so you could not really do anything in the summer or go anywhere because it would be an issue. And sometimes there would be no shifts so the pay was unstable. But I did work there for over 4 years and enjoyed it.
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Not enough time off in one year.
productive and fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON24 May 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and making new friends, learning how to stock shelfs and new things coming in store.
the hardest part of the job was figuring out where somethings are to tell the customers.
Pros
nice people
Environnement de travail Agréable
Commis au service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Granby, QC23 May 2017
Mon premier stage à été mon premier stage d'école, j'y ai appris la caisse , les codes ,et beaucoup d'autres choses!
productive and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK22 May 2017
I enjoyed working at Dollarma. They had great staff and it was easily an environment i could fit into. The hours were good and they fit with my busy schedule as a single mother.
fun place to work and shop
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON21 May 2017
work for me is busy. I am responsible for the for and candy isles so you can probably tell not much time for other things.we do go through lots of food and candy so I am busy filling and putting out new stock every day and making sure to rotate . Management is good and is always there to answer any questions I may have or to lend me a hand.hardest part of job isnever enough time to get everything done.. Most enjoyable part of the day is getting to talk to all our regular customers and meeting new ones.
Pros
laughing with co workers
Cons
not enough time
productive workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 May 2017
The day to day work was not to heavy, everyone worked really well together. Easy work days, most of the time the manager was understanding with schedule changes.c
Cons
manager at the time was not the best
It's good to start at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
The company is good. Everyone is nice. They are very flexible. The hours are kind of hard to come by, but if you are in school this is ideal. Depending on where you are management can be good or not.
only did a few months
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 May 2017
The co-workers that i worked with were nice, kind people .. The only thing i disapproved of was being told i was going to be staying with the company full time and being put to part time and then laid off as they had over hired employers
fun
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL17 May 2017
it was a very nice place to work and clean and enjoyable and everybody worked together and it was a team player positions and they cared for any problems
Productive and busy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Yorkton, SK16 May 2017
Many customers come in just rushing to get back into their cars, so you have to be quick and calm. It's always nice to have a job that keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Breaks and paycheques for my bills
Cons
Hours are to short for me
Thoughts about the company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 May 2017
It's a steading and busy place with lots of customers ... New freight going out at all times ... Learned new tasks everyday ... Hardest part is to make room for new items, and to make sure that all new items are represented ... The most enjoyable part is that you get to meet some great people and make some really good friends along the way.
Pros
Bouns when sales are hit.
Cons
Good
Sales (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 May 2017
Great people, not too busy but sometimes could be busy. People are very friendly. Great management team. Overall, it is a good place to start working as a first job.
I don't really have anything positive to say
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 May 2017
I was with the company for a year. Management is sneaky towards their employees. There is a lot of gossip throughout all of the stores. I wouldn't work here again
workplace radio that relaxes you and keeps you going
skids breaker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Working in the back and hauling in large skids using a forklift was very challenging, especially doing the winter time as the forklift will get stuck in the snow.
Good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2017
Spent most of the time ensuring the store was well maintained and stocked properly. The manager was really helpful. Everyone was nice and cooperative.
Love my managers and coworkers, hate the job
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 May 2017
I love this job primarily for the people, but the job itself is awful. The amount of hours we're allowed to use is given to us by head office and is never nearly enough. As a keyholder, I make a dollar more than minimum wage and no other raises are given, except for a 10 cent raise they supposedly give every year but refuse to give me. They send ridiculous amounts of one particular item that will then just sit in the back for months and take up storage space because they don't know how to send proper amounts of stock. The company is so cheap that the employees suffer and most of the good ones end up leaving. Our store in particular has a major theft problem, yet all they do to try and "fix" it is install cameras in our back room area, make sure we check employees bags every time they leave the store, make sure that we keep a receipt for our items and that they are signed (if they are not, they will remove the item from you). They have estimated that $800 leaves the store every day in theft from customers, yet won't give us an LPO and still continue to heavily survey the staff. This job is alright to get by for a little, but becomes very tiresome, very quickly.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Lack of hours, lack of proper pay, lack of higher ups caring
It was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
I had gotten a job here at just the right time. It was tough at first as I was given an overnight shift. A month of graveyard shift was difficult but I got threw it. Then I was given a day shift which made things easier. It was a fun place to work.
Depends on Keyholders and Coworkers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Val Caron, ON11 May 2017
Overall a very good first job. In my one year of working at Dollarama I never saw an employee get promoted to Key Holder, those were always hired separately. Thus, vertical movement within the company may be difficult. If you don't mind menial work, retail bustle, and potentially picky management, there's nothing too wrong with Dollarama.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8