Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,078 reviews matching the search
nice place to work
Cashier/Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 March 2017
a great place to work until management went to peoples head and stared to be nicer to the one they liked better the team i worked with was a great group of people some older some younger all different people
fast paced, energetic and fun
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 March 2017
I love working at dollarama because i love the product we sell, and i feel that i have come familiar with the product. With this knowledge i am able to help the customers with any and all questions they have about are products. I also love working in a fast paced customer service environment , helping people find what they are looking for and giving them my input about a product they are interested in buying. I love the people i work with and just love the overall retail experience at dollarama
Pros
friendly co-workers and customers, love helping people, have a strong customer service work ethic
Cons
not enough hours
liked my co workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS26 March 2017
good place to work, nice people awesome co workers good products lots of hours job was not hard manger was very nice lots of work to do never a down time to stand around to do nothing
Organizational skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2017
I learned many things about merchandizing and how to stage items for maximum exposure. I particularly enjoyed the organizing aspect of the job. I quite like organizing and making things presentable.
Pros
Enjoyable work
Cons
Short hours
It's okay
merchandiser, overnights, recovery, and cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 March 2017
It's alright if it's your first job because you still have a lot to go through and learn. It teaches you time management, customer service and handling cash for closing. They push you to do your best and they do their best to help you grow professionally getting you ready for either a career at Dollarama or a better job.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
This was my first job in Canada. I got the opportunity to work effectively and efficiently in a busy environment and learnt how to work in a time and profit driven company.
Pros
Made longlasting freindships
Cons
Late hours
Average workplace
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC23 March 2017
The management at the Dollarama I worked at was impeccable. I had a Y oriented manager that had a more friendly approach towards motivating his workers. The hours are flexible, (to a limited extent, due to the nature of store hours) and my colleagues were great friends. Rarely would I be arbitrarily reprimanded as the work load was minimal. All together it was a wonderful work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management, management opporitunities
Cons
difficult clients, can be physically demanding
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Leamington, ON23 March 2017
Working at Dollarma is a great job for students. You get to work with a wide variety of customers and work on your interpersonal skills as well as basic math skills.
Slow paced job involving lots of moving products/organizing
Stock Clerk (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Val Caron, ON23 March 2017
Although I only had a co-op at Dollarama, it was slow paced and not very strenuous. Very polite staff to work with. They gave me very flexible hours while I was there, and the training was excellent.
Pros
Flexible hours
Ok if you just want to pay the bills while you get a real job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 March 2017
Unrealistic expectations leave most managers no other options but to work hours without clocking in, effectively working for free. But I guess we are not doing this for the money in the first place; even though Dollarama is worth over a billion can$ the average manager makes just a few dollars above minimum wage. And be ready to be making that much for a long while as there’s almost zero chance of being promoted beyond the position of manager unless you’ve been working for them for close to a decade. Lots of DMs are hired from outside.

Training is basically non-existent; they just expect you to land running.
Pros
Most of the people you work with are awesome.
Cons
You'll have to work for free to meet HO's demands, no training, lots of heavy lifting, no chance of being promoted beyond store manager, very low compensation
Good people to work for
Associate (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON21 March 2017
I have been with the company four years and they have been very good to me. They were understanding and supportive when necessary. It is a comfortable atmosphere and friendly staff and management. There is always something to do and learn.
Pros
They have in store promotions where you can win Timmy's cards etc.
Cons
Sometimes shifts are unpredictable as is most retail stores.
Productive, learn many new skills, also include fun
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
I have learned many things, how to deal with customers and their problems, guidance. I have learn many merchandising methods. I have learned responsibilities of key holder.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
Not as such
good
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2017
Fun place to work and lots to learn . It always busy and you learn how to manage all the happy and unhappy clients.
Everyday something new pop up and you learn from that.
Pros
you are working
Cons
poor management
nice place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
My experience to work in Dollarama is good...but i only got 9.5 hrs per week so i can not complete my expenses with less wage. on the other hand the staff members as well as manager over there is good and cooperative,
Pros
good staff and cooperative store manager
Cons
got only 9.5 hours per week
Do not work for dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 March 2017
At dollarama you'll usually find a friendly staff who are pretty easy and enjoyable to work with, but in general management tends to have unreasonably high expectations, often asking you to stay late and work for free or even skip your lunches. hours and extremely unreliable and the upper management (district manager and upward) are disrespectful and only care about their money. This is a hard place to work, despite the fact that you'll make a few friends
Pros
Friendly in-store staff
Cons
Long hours, poor management, unreliable schedule, unrealistic expectations
Fun and enjoyable
Dollarama (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2017
Learned more experience on cashier, never gave up with working long hours, always took others shift. Customers rated my work all the time. My goals were always to work hard an never give up
Pros
Clearence
Cons
Extra hours
Fine for starting, not great for families
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 March 2017
If you live with your parents, or are previously retired and bored, its okay.
If you need to survive a family, do not work at a Dollarama. The hours are unpredictable, you could go from 25 hours a week one month, to 4 hours a week the next. They do not trust their employees, or make sure there is a safe and happy work environment.
The expectations are also ridiculously high, and the payoff for a job well done doesnt exist.
Sometimes you will find a good manager, but most times the district manager will disrespect themto the point of making them cry.
Advancement isn't worth it - the Assistant Manager only made 0.75 cents more than the Keyholders.
Productive and friendly workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 March 2017
A typical day of work for me would consist of being on cash, dealing with customers, stocking shelves, and facing items along with one 30 minute break. When the store closes I sweep, fill the pop coolers and mop when necessary. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the countless social interaction from customers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Always on cash registor
Isn't great.
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2017
Management is horrible, the way they treat their employees isn't the best at all, they cut hours when they don't make enough money for the store and doing that causes employees to quit, and are forced to find a second job- new job.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
The worst hours.
fun place
Assistant Manager (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
fun environment to work at especially meeting different people and you get to play dress up when its dead. its a pretty nice place to work at with friendly people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8