Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

A decent work environment with some people who are great to talk to.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2016
Typical day would be to help customers pay for their items while filling pop or snack s near the front of the store.
I learned how to work on a till and how to deal with the pressure of a busy day.
Management was okay, would take several breaks to smoke but was overall pretty good.
Most co-workers were easy to get along with.
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters.
Most enjoyable part was my break.
Pros
Life Experience
Cons
No other pros
A great part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJune 30, 2016
Those who work at Dollarama have taught me so much, and the experience I have from working there will help me for years to come. The management at particular stores leaves much to be desired and sometimes made work unbearable, but a part-time job is necessary for a student to pay the bills. My co-workers always made it worth working there.
Pros
Learning patience and people skills.
Cons
The manager you get is either amazing or makes you want to quit.
Poor store morale
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJune 26, 2016
I worked at Terminal Park Plaza in Nanaimo BC. It was worse job I have ever had. The manager is very unprofessional running around all day like a chicken with her head cut off accomplishing nothing. Yet heaven forbid you did not accomplish your 5 carts in a 5 hour shift despite spending most of your day as back up cashier and breaking skids.
Pros
You get to see merchandise as it comes in.
Cons
No benefits, low paying, poor morale and not a team atmospere
Can be very busy at times, but also rewarding when you have helped an elderly person and they give you a hug
Cashier/Stock-Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 9, 2016
A very good environment to work in. My co-workers and management were always willing to guide and help me. Not only did I learn how to use a cash register and balance the till, I found it easier to converse with the customers. They were a wonderful group of people to work with.
Pros
Bonus at Christmas
Nice environment to work in
Cashier and Clerk floor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 4, 2016
-Being a the cashier can be tiring, placing stocks is fun
-Learned how to work quickly and effectively. Learned products information.
-Co-workers are respectful and treat everyone equally.
-Hardest part of the job is staying in one spot for hours.
-Most enjoyable part is placing stocks and talking to co-workers
-Can't get enough hours
Pros
Can take things that have a ripped packaging, such as a bag of chips.
Cons
long hours staying in front of the cash-register
Fast-Paced
Sales Clerk and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 16, 2016
Typical days were pretty busy. I would mostly run the cash register but I also assisted in stocking the store. We had to put out a certain amount of product each day to make room for new stuff in the back. Every so often we would go through a pack up phase were we had a limited amount of time to completely pack up and ship out a section and restock it with the new seasonal product.
Hard working staff in a fast paced envrionment
Assist management (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 18, 2016
Having the versatility of working the store front when needed, maintaining an aisle and doing the books made for a pleasant work day because things were kept interesting. Management at the time were great and very considerate of the employees.
Pros
understanding management staff and employees
Cons
working weekends and evenings away from my family
coworkers and manegment were amazing people
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONMay 29, 2016
Dollaram has become a home to me all of my co-workers were very nice and friendly we all got along and our customers were very nice and always left with a smile
Dollarama is somewhere we worked as a team and a family

Being a keylholder was hard at times with having so many task to take on but at times that was the best part always having a job to do and the feeling when you accomplished it
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
long hours when someone called in sick or didnt show
hire today gone tomorrow
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 27, 2016
i worked at the eglinton location during store launch setting the store up for its grand opening i arrived early ,worked hard and left late many nights every day and they canned me and a few other workers the day before the opening (how cold is that ?) saying "we had to let a lot of people go because we can't afford to keep you all. strange how they hired totally new replacements tho. i call bullcrap on this, work there if you must but KEEP LOOKING for something better the term "a pat on the back is just a few inches away from a kick in the butt" is especially true with dollarama.
Pros
great co workers, cool vibe.
Cons
shifty, exploitive management
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJune 8, 2016
Fun and enjoyable workplace with great co-workers who have the same likes and dislikes as I do. We have fun doing our jobs, helping each other out when we run into problems and we all pitch in where needed. My co-wokers respect me and listen when there is a certain chore to be done and I ask them to do it.
Pros
Co-workers are fun to work with, manager and assistant manager are great people.
Cons
Impatient customers.
Good place to begin your career and develop work experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day is very labour intensive and demanding.

I learned many skills that will help me progress through my career. The people and management were most often kind to me, but would often do what was in their best interest.

Would recommend beginning your retail career at another retail store that rewards their employees better for their hard work.
Pros
Respectable working staff
Cons
Very little opportunity for growth
good job for awhile, not a career goal for me.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 16, 2016
Typical days at work i would stock most of the time, if the cashiers got to many people lined up they would call me up till the line cleared and i would go back to stocking and organizing the shelf's.
management was good, i learned a lot about how commercial stores worked and time management.
Pros
people were great.
Cons
long exasting hours
Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
Creative Working Enviroment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
Good place to work. Some of my co-workers are now some of my friends. A lot of heavy lifting and stocking which is typical in most retail jobs. This job gives you a lot of daily exercise as well as the opportunity to be creative in the way you stock product. Also most customers are friendly and polite.
Pros
Good excercise
Cons
Constant re-stocking
Great co workers and mangment
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
It was always a happy place to work, I learned how to be a leader and team member. How to do bank deposits, prepare the deposits, stalking shelves, cashier, counts, receiving, handling customer complaints, handling employees complaints, shipping and receiving . Management was great. I loved working with my co workers they made the work place a great place to work. The hardest part was to get the deposit ready quickly manner, but after time I have accomplished to do it in a fashionably manner. I really enjoyed working with my co workers
Productive and enjoyable place to work
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONApril 29, 2016
A typical day at work was a great day. I really enjoyed working for the company. I learned cashier, stalking shelves, getting a deposit ready, doing a deposit, open and close the store, deal with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, answering the phone and communicate with head office. I enjoyed working with the management and co-workers. The hardest part of the job was trying to take care of everything at once, but I learned that I had to do one thing at a time to get the job done right. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers and customers.
Great work place as a beginner
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
As a beginner, Dollaroma was a great work place for me. I worked without stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. I learned how to deal with different types of customer at Dollarama. They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages. I had been worked there eleven months. I was able to handle customer complaints every day and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Cons
They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages.
Busy location
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 4, 2016
I enjoyed my job at Dollarama from the beginning. Our Store Manager is very professional and supportive. Staff are great.
At present the District Manager is unprofessional and a bully which makes for a bad work environment. The morale at the store has been affected by the DM.
Pros
Great Store Manager and excellent staff
Cons
Unsupportive DIstrict Manager
It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers
I am enjoying my job at Dollarama. All my co-workers are very friendly.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 26, 2016
I have become an active team player. and now i have these skills during my job at Dollarama;-
• Commitment to providing effective customer service.
• Energetic, and passionate about work.
• Effective verbal, and communication skills.
• Self-motivated with problem solving, and organization skills.
• Friendly behavior.
• Good listener.
• Innovative.
• Time management skills.
Pros
Employees benefits, Vacation plan, pension etc
Cons
limited hours for employees.

2.8