Dollarama Employee Reviews

Fun Work, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON1 November 2016
I worked at Dollarama for several years, it was a fun place to work, enjoyable duties. The only bad thing is I seen managers come and go, most of them are not good manager, take the roll to their head. When a manager gets complaints upon them, they just move them to a different store, which I find isnt to good, cause they do the same stuff micromanage, and power trip. Instead they should train the polite ones within the store, and have better management.
Then another topic, they need to have more staff hours + staff for the work they want to be completed within a day, cause with not enough staff it makes you feel like your a slave for your 11 dollars an hour.
Overall its a good place if you have a good manager and if its a busy dollarama = more hours they give a week.
If your full time there your get the hours, if your part time you barely get hours. I wouldnt work there as part time, but I guess you have to start somewhere. (like somewhere else).
Also full time employees only get a 10 cent raise a year, its a dead end job.
Pros
Enjoyable duties, Nice Customers
Cons
Bad Management, Have to work Hoildays
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
Not your typical retail ( don't work for peanuts )
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2016
Dollarama is a sweat shop I wouldn't recommend someone I hate to work there. workers are
Under paid barely appreciated and over worked I.e( if u work a 7-8 hour shift depending which store u work at u will be lucky to get two breaks) I mean they will give u 30 min break prolly when ur shift is almost done but hey what do I know overall it's not the worst place on earth there are worst jobs but just make sure u go in there with a mindset understanding that ur a merchandiser /maid First customer service and everything else comes last the only glimmer of light for this company is that most of the employees are genuinely nice people who have been tricked into believing there in a good company that cares about them but they really don't i mean have u ever had a job where they make u work 6 days a week and don't even ask ur permission they say u have to !! And one last tip at DOLLARAMA expressing how u really feel about a manager or management in general will get u nowhere. voicing opinions and complaining is frowned upon they won't tell u this so I will good luck to those who still apply u see that what I've written is not a lie
Pros
Friendly conworkers
Cons
Long hours no appreciation to get a break is a battle
Always busy but best job i ever had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 June 2016
A typical work day included pulling stock, stocking shelves, helping clean, helping close the store, and cleaning.

I learnt everything I know about working from working at the Dollarama. I was once told by my manager that I could go far in this company or in any retail company because my sale skills and how great I am with customers was really good.

management was a little on and off at this company. Stress played a big part in it and the supervisors weren't as patient or willing to teach like I thought they should be. I love almost everyone I worked with and made very good relationships with a lot of people.

The hardest part of this job was trying to get all your stuff done in one night. I was always very busy and never stopped moving until the end of my shift. The best part of this job was being able to stock my "aisle" and see that all my work that night paid off.
Pros
long hours, split shifts, decent pay at the time
Cons
nothing
A dollar away (a dollarama review)
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC20 January 2017
Everything at Dollarama was pretty easy going. We didn't have a spicified uniform other then a small apron, in which you carried your tools. I mostly work as a cashier during my time over there, with some stockage from time to time. The days were never too long, since we always had something to do. Either you had to put things on the shelves, or you had to take care of customers. Although at he end of the day, the customers made or broke your day.

Dollarma was actually my first cashier job. It was frustrating at first, since I was doing mistakes left and right. Although over the course of a hour I was able to get it down. My manager would always be happy to help with a smile, which made me wanna work harder and better too make her proud.

The hardest part about working would have been the angry customers, but eventually you learn how to hold your ground. But the ironic part was that the best part of the job were also the customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough complexity
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
Treat you like cattle
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WINDSOR,ON4 October 2016
THEY PERFORM TEDIOUS, RIDICULOUS, TIME CONSUMING, cycle counts daily. Counting thousands of candy, chocolate bars that are neatly stacked (which have to be unstacked to count) and are in MULTIPLE locations.

Managements only concern is the amount of product they force you to put out.

The pay does not equal the amount of work you perform. Not only are you required to get a TON of merchandise out but you are constantly interrupted by having to go on cash 15-30 times a day.

And then there are staff meetings-pointless, babbling on and on about who is not performing, who needs to work faster, who left what where, etc.......which they just said two days prior.

The staff are all miserable, they treat the merchandisers like cattle, the team-lead, key holders get a few extra cents but loads more work.

If you want a LOSER JOB--APPLY NOW.
Pros
SEE ABOVE
Cons
TOO MANY TO MENTION
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 December 2016
The hardest part of the job is to stand for hours on cash. The most enjoyable part would have to be the employees I worked with. The management wasn't the best either.
Pros
Free lunches
Fast-paced and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2016
You sign in 5-10 minutes before your shift.
Getting debriefed on what your tasks for the day are plus what you could have done better the day before.
Depending where you're assigned for the day, you start working on the floor or in the back right away.

There's no time for slacking or slowing down because of how much people come in and out and how much needs to be done in addition to being maintained.

It's a fast paced workplace which teaches workers how to be on time, do the most that they can do in the given time and to go beyond what's expected of them to make the work more efficient for everyone else.

It's very team oriented, and when you work there, it is very noticeable.

The most I enjoyed about this job is the people/customers you get to meet everyday, and the management and colleagues that work with you.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Fast-paced, non-stop work
it was a great and challenging job. i learned many new things. this company gave me training to serve myself as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2016
it is a great experience of working at dollarama. working environment was good. but the thing i do'nt like about that job was the management did not told me already that it is just a temporary job you can get lay off at any time.they hire us only because that store was going to open soon. they took hard work from us just for stocking for few days. and then they give lay off papers. because of that job i have to loose my previous job
very busy
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Very busy tons of stock to do great people to work with lots of new product sells out fast so always have stock to do lots of locations available great Salary
Pros
great wage
Overall 2/5
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 December 2016
I have no complaints about my working experience at 'Dollarama' at all. 'Dollarama' itself is a great business franchise. And at the end of the day; a 'job' is a 'job'. I ensured that I had put my full effort into everything I had worked/tasked on, to even the smallest tasks. I just felt that none of my co-workers were motivated to work at all; lousy and uninterested to say the least; and my efforts to help the store run more smoothy we're being overlooked; as if the management didn't really care about improvement.
Good Job for keeping busy
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC20 October 2016
Love the work and the hours. But it lacks work life balance and room to grow career wise. Have been a retail manager for years and the pay does not recognize this.
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 April 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Poor Management
Cashier, Stock (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB12 January 2017
When I was employed at the Beaumont Dollarama, it was not a very fun experience. I learned how to use the cash register. The management wasn't very good. Some of my co-workers were a blast to work with, others not so much. The hardest part about this job was having to work with some of the other co-workers who made working there not so good. I did not enjoy working here.
Cons
Poor Management
My first job as a cashier
Customer Service Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 January 2017
Wonderful work place, with great staff and management.
I learned how to manage my time for maximum productivity, and how to interact with the public in a professional environment.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours
Good place to begin your career and develop work experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON12 May 2016
A typical day is very labour intensive and demanding.

I learned many skills that will help me progress through my career. The people and management were most often kind to me, but would often do what was in their best interest.

Would recommend beginning your retail career at another retail store that rewards their employees better for their hard work.
Pros
Respectable working staff
Cons
Very little opportunity for growth
Sometimes inadequate working environment.
Cahier Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 April 2016
My co-workers were really nice to get along with, good team members and skill builders. Management weren't always the best to get along with at times. I learned different techniques at my various jobs over the past few years: i.e. introducing customers to new products at Dollarama, putting up and taking down of various displays.
Pros
Paid vacation at Dollarama, gift cards for Dollarama at Christmas
Cons
Sometimes long hours, especially if you're not prepared for it and they ask for me to stay beyond my scheduled shift.
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!

2.8