Dollarama Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJuly 30, 2015
Pros: paid well
Cons: few hours
It is fun to work here and the people are great. The customers are nice towards me. People don't judge our differences and when it comes to work, we work really hard an just talking. It's just sad that they dont give enough hours to their workers and the time that they need to cut out workers because the business is slow. But still it's a great place to work
Fun workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Port Hawkesbury, NSJuly 24, 2015
Pros: Fun workplace.
Cons: worked every weekend.
Counted items management needed totals for. Opened store and turned on lights, made sure all tills were counted and ready to go. Got change for cashiers if they needed it. Counted all tills with manager and checked everything to make sure it was done correctly. Filled out employees hours and faxed to management for them to be paid. Dealt with customer complaints. Filled in for cashiers if needed. Stocked shelves and put any remaining products away so customers would not trip on them in the aisles.
Great people and environment
Customer Service Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2015
Pros: Flexibility in schedule; who doesn't love the dollar store
Cons: When management changed the team changed.
Had a lot of fun learning the retail industry and working in a fast paced environment. It was never a dull moment. I had fantastic co-workers and great management. This environment worked cohesively as a team.

Customer tend to come on strong, but it's the dollar store...so really people just want to come in and get out as fast as they can, but truth be told, it was always insanely busy. This kept the hours flowing and fast.
productive and fun work place
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Great staff and managment
Cons: poor benefits
From Dollarama I learned what its like to not just come to work to do what you've been told and that's,that. I learned how to love and make personal connections with my team members and learned how to work as a team to not only benefit oneself but the team and company.
Not Best
Store Associate (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 21, 2015
Not a best place to work. But good as a survival job. Coworkers are OK .Depends on the management and the customers and the area.
productive
cashier & stocking (Former Employee), kirkland , MontrealJuly 21, 2015
Cons: early mornings
working at the dollarama taught you a lot on how to handle many different situations and doing many different jobs inside the store , I learnt how to deal with people better and to be more social. over all the other co workers always made my job better. towards the end my manager started to feel more for me than just an employee and that is part of the reasons why I left the job. The hardest part of the job was for sure lifting all those heavy boxes all day but made you gain more muscle , but I love helping customers find what they needed to see regulars inside the store each week.
An unlucky encounter
Worker (Former Employee), Montreal/QCJuly 20, 2015
Pros: Food to purchases
Cons: Not an enjoyable job
Honestly, I'm not hating on the company itself but, the dollarama that I worked at was poorly staffed and in my opinion a little shady. All the workers were immigrants who couldn't speak French except for a few who were around my age. Being a resident of Quebec you would expect the working staff to atleast know the native tongue, Nope. Apart from that I would describe my experience there as enlightening and quite difficult. Imagine, people coming in during the holidays and ringing up 250 articles of Christmas decorations, yup and guess who had to scan it all. Looking back I realize that my time there was between October-January afterwards I was formally dismissed from working there. The reason I still don't know. My hypothesis would be that they needed extra workers for the holidays which would make sense, but sucked for me considering I work during the most crowded time of the year and then get laid off right after. Like I said in the beginning im not hating on the company, all I'm saying is that particular Dollarama I had the opportunity to work at, for lack of a better term, Sucked.
Fun Co-workers, Poor manegement
Store Associate (Current Employee), Windsor, ONJuly 15, 2015
Pros: 15 minute paid break if working more than 4 hours.
Cons: Lack of hours.
A typical day at work could be working at a cash register, facing items, doing returns or breaking down skids and bringing items to the sale floor. It could be a combination of any of these. I learned how to operate a cash register, assist customers and properly display merchandise. Manegemant in my experience has been very poor. Managers do not know how to organize schedules, prioritze what needs to be done. Co-workers can be great people. Good co-workers make the job bearable and you can actually have some enjoyment working. The hardest part of the job for me is trying to understand the logic of the management. The most enjoyable part of the job for me is assisting customers.
Part-Time Sales Associate(Cashier) (Former Employee), Whitby, ONJuly 14, 2015
working at dollarama is okay its not a life time job but its a great first job for students who are looking for their job and its not a hard job easy tasks to be done each shift but they expect you to do a lot in a short shift
Retail Associate
Retail Associate (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONJuly 11, 2015
Pros: a paycheck
Cons: terrible hours, no advancement
Retail. That is it. You worked as cashier, and got terrible hours, all seasonal.
No room for advancement with terrible hours.
As it's seasonal, you were basically on-call.
High stressed work, and even tho workers were fired or left, you would not get anymore hours, they would rather hire more people on.
Terrible place.
good wadge, not good mangment
Associate (Current Employee), Vegreville, ABJuly 10, 2015
Pros: good wadge, wonderful coworkers, customer service
Cons: managment, no benifets, bullying in work place
as working at dollarama i find that it is not a vary good place to work, due to bullying in the workplace, worst experience Ive had, other than that good pay and most of the associates are wonderful to work with
fast pace environment
Customer service (Former Employee), Port Hawkesbury, NSJuly 10, 2015
I liked working at dollarama but when I had my daughter I wanted to stay home with her . its a very good job to meet and see a lot of people
Successful experience
Cashier (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJuly 9, 2015
A typical day will be standing in cashier for around 5 hours, putting back returns, and dealing with some customer issues. I leaned many things in this current job. I learned how to deal with different age group from different cultures, and genders. I also learned how to treat my coworkers and how to put limits with treating everyone.
lacks awareness of the struggle the employees are placed in.
Cashier and merchandiser (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 8, 2015
Pros: great practice to deal with people
Cons: lack of attention by the higher ups.bad hours. place impossible number of tasks on you.
walk in punch into the machine. go to cash and call the supervisor and wait till she comes to your cash. once the supervisor arrives the will open your cash and you will be required to count it.making sure it reaches a certain amount. stay on cash all day . once the store is closed you must go through the whole store and fix every item into its correct place.
Fun workplace
Full time cashier (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJuly 6, 2015
Dollarama is a great place to work. A typical day at work was like going to spend the day with friends. The team work was fantastic. Management was very understanding, my co-workers were friends. There was no hard parts with this job. The most enjoyable part of this job was going to work!
productive and safe environment
Stacking (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJuly 4, 2015
Pros: free lunches
Cons: long hours
It was a blessed day
I have learned to stacked shelves and to be organized
The hardest part of the job is making sure that the people get what they want
The most enjoyable part of the job is that everyone gets along fine
dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), Brampton, ONJune 29, 2015
Pros: co workers were friendly
Cons: not enough hours
I got along with the other employees, and also with the customers. I was a cashier, stocked shelves, sorted and cleaned up at the end of the night.
a typical day of work
receiving/Stock associate/sale associate (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJune 24, 2015
Pros: fun, good environment
A typical day is i clock in at work then it begin my shift and which I begin to open boxes and putting the items on the shelves and also helping costumers find what there looking for.
sale associated (Former Employee), DartmouthJune 23, 2015
Pros: hoilday partys
Cons: no time off during holidays
When we show up for work we punch in and talk to the managers to see where we are at if we are on the floor in the row or if we are on first cash. We would get to work and have fun with the co-workers while getting the work done and help customers the hardest part was the lack of hours and benefits and the most enjoyable part of my job was the friends i made and laughs we had and the customers i help.
fun
Merchandiser/Cashier (Former Employee), calgary abJune 20, 2015
stock shelves, count stock everyday, you have to work fast, management was good best part is seeing new items hardest part is lifting heavy items. coworkers were awesome to work with.

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more