Dollarama Employee Reviews

Fun working environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 27, 2016
Dollarama was a great place to build my experience in the customer service, retail industry. It's taught me a lot on how to build structure in a working environment. It being my first job I've gain skills working with cash, customers and how businesses are ran to be the best they can be.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Was only part time at that time
Positive co-workers,and friendly.
Cashier/Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKSeptember 26, 2016
Stocked items in the general merchandise section of the store. Helped customers find items. Cleaned as needed. Co-workers were friendly. Enjoyed being at work.
Fast-paced and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2016
You sign in 5-10 minutes before your shift.
Getting debriefed on what your tasks for the day are plus what you could have done better the day before.
Depending where you're assigned for the day, you start working on the floor or in the back right away.

There's no time for slacking or slowing down because of how much people come in and out and how much needs to be done in addition to being maintained.

It's a fast paced workplace which teaches workers how to be on time, do the most that they can do in the given time and to go beyond what's expected of them to make the work more efficient for everyone else.

It's very team oriented, and when you work there, it is very noticeable.

The most I enjoyed about this job is the people/customers you get to meet everyday, and the management and colleagues that work with you.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Fast-paced, non-stop work
it was a stable job
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 20, 2016
Working at Dollarama allowed me to improve my sales and communication skills. It also allowed me to improve my cashier skills as well. The workplace environment was productive
Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 17, 2016
• Resolve customer complaints, guide and provide them relevant information
• Makes sales referral, cross-sell products and introduction new ones
• Handling cash and greeting Customers
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
productive fast pace environment
Cashier/ Isle staff (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONSeptember 13, 2016
The staff an my boss were wonderful to work with. The environment was super friendly. The CEO people were wonderful to work for as well. Took good care of there employees.
Pros
special bonus
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONSeptember 13, 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.
Very productive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONSeptember 13, 2016
A regular day i would be doing stockings and other times i would be on cash. I have learn how to communicate with costumers and make a good sale. My manager is very on going with our task everyday and everyone i work with is really friendly.
Pros
safe workplace
Cons
N/A
Horrible company to work for
Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Do not apply to work at this company. They say they value you as an employee but as soon as you need to discuss ANYTHING with them they find excuses for your complaints/worries/concerns and have no problem replacing you. Overall, Dollarama is a horrible company that could care less about their employees.
Relaxed environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, ABSeptember 7, 2016
I learned how to handle debit transactions and how to handle cash on a daily basis. The manager and fellow employees were very relaxed, but not easy to interact with. The hardest part of my job was handling difficult customers on my own. The most enjoyable part of my job was the nice, polite customers and free drinks during break.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 6, 2016
When I was working at winners I gain more knowledge and experiences. I enjoy doing markdown and do processing especially in home department and in kids department. I enjoy working too in the frontline as a cashier and dealing with different people. In this company I learn how to work as a team with my co workers and respect their culture and belief.
Pros
free lunches and vacation pay
Cons
no chance to become a fulltime employee
High volume Retail
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONSeptember 2, 2016
Fast paced high volume retail with a focuses on stock and replenishment. There is also a focuses on year over year and making sales goals and controlling labor budgets.
Pros
lots of volume so your day seem short
Organized and busy.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 28, 2016
Busy most days, staff is fairly rotated between cash and other chores. Organized but a bit messy in the backroom. Customers are tough around holidays.
Poor work environment
Cashier/Stock Person (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONAugust 26, 2016
Management very poor, not loyal to employees. Large turn over rate due to employer.
Training staff poor, not giving people chances. Management talks down to people, rather than helping and teaching.

Many other workers have expressed the same concerns. Wish to find other work.
Interesting work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONAugust 26, 2016
A typical work day is putting away stock, helping customers and working over stock. I learned new things about how to line in new stock , how to close and balance the tills.
Pros
Laid back dress code
Cons
To short traing peroids
Work in a productive and efficient manner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 25, 2016
I work as a cashier for a majority of the time. Occasionally I will help my co-worker stock the shelves and clean the aisle at the end of my shift.
Pros
Helpful Team
Cons
No Benefits
A decent work environment with some people who are great to talk to.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2016
Typical day would be to help customers pay for their items while filling pop or snack s near the front of the store.
I learned how to work on a till and how to deal with the pressure of a busy day.
Management was okay, would take several breaks to smoke but was overall pretty good.
Most co-workers were easy to get along with.
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters.
Most enjoyable part was my break.
Pros
Life Experience
Cons
No other pros
Productive and fun workplace
Manager/Supervisor-Key Holder/Merchandiser/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 22, 2016
Dollarama is a growing company with many stores across Canada that offers many entry-level job opportunities in the retail sector. It offers a very fun-filled and fast-paced environment.

2.8