Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,033 reviews matching the search
Overworked and underpaid
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON30 January 2017
You are expected to do ALOT a little in return. The staff can be great or not, its more of the luck of the draw. Upper management is picky, and a pain in the rear. They don't tend to care about the people just the numbers. They regularly don't pay vacation pay when they should and they under tax you so you have a major tax bill at the end of the year. Hours are never the same every week. They don't give you the raises they say they will and there is not a lot of room for promotion, they would rather bring in a newbie then they would promote a long time employee that is capable of the job. They have "full time" set at 25 hours so they can drop you down anytime especially after Christmas when you need hours the most. If it wasn't for the fact that there were great staff at my stores I would have hated this job. Its not a job that I would recommend to anyone.
Pros
... it was a job
Cons
irregular hours, poor pay... everything pretty much.
Fun Work, Bad Management
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Napanee, ON1 November 2016
I worked at Dollarama for several years, it was a fun place to work, enjoyable duties. The only bad thing is I seen managers come and go, most of them are not good manager, take the roll to their head. When a manager gets complaints upon them, they just move them to a different store, which I find isnt to good, cause they do the same stuff micromanage, and power trip. Instead they should train the polite ones within the store, and have better management.
Then another topic, they need to have more staff hours + staff for the work they want to be completed within a day, cause with not enough staff it makes you feel like your a slave for your 11 dollars an hour.
Overall its a good place if you have a good manager and if its a busy dollarama = more hours they give a week.
If your full time there your get the hours, if your part time you barely get hours. I wouldnt work there as part time, but I guess you have to start somewhere. (like somewhere else).
Also full time employees only get a 10 cent raise a year, its a dead end job.
Pros
Enjoyable duties, Nice Customers
Cons
Bad Management, Have to work Hoildays
Easy casual retail job. Not a career.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 February 2017
A typical day at work is to clock in, read the day's assignment (Cashier, Stocking, etc) and go do it until told otherwise, or a customer asks for assistance. Typical retail work, Minimum wage.

The workplace culture was very casual, almost to a fault. No hats, wear a Dollarama apron or poncho, be polite. That's about it.

The hardest part of the job is that your hours will be cut. Expect 4 to 12 hour weeks, unless you're promoted. You will hear about benefits during the training, however these benefits will not apply to you as a part time worker.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Little hours
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
Flexible hours and good work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE/ KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Most of my duties consist of cashing people out, stocking items, closing the store and supervising others. Working as team to give fast and efficient service especially during busy times of the year like christmas and during seasonal pack ups to get the store ready.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much benefits
Not a place to work
Forecast Analyst (Former Employee) –  montreal24 February 2017
Not a good place to work. Low salary and no recognition.
I was happy when I left . I remember even paying for my coffee.
They make so much money but when it comes to staff bonuses it was almost nothing.

Top management including HR are all very arrogant.
very busy
Stock Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2017
Very busy tons of stock to do great people to work with lots of new product sells out fast so always have stock to do lots of locations available great Salary
Pros
great wage
Cons
did not enjoy working there
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 January 2017
not a nice place to work
rude costumers
messy environment
unreliable hours
your shift would get changed at any minute
no benefits
holiday time was horrible
Poor store morale
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC26 June 2016
I worked at Terminal Park Plaza in Nanaimo BC. It was worse job I have ever had. The manager is very unprofessional running around all day like a chicken with her head cut off accomplishing nothing. Yet heaven forbid you did not accomplish your 5 carts in a 5 hour shift despite spending most of your day as back up cashier and breaking skids.
Pros
You get to see merchandise as it comes in.
Cons
No benefits, low paying, poor morale and not a team atmospere
A dollar away (a dollarama review)
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC20 January 2017
Everything at Dollarama was pretty easy going. We didn't have a spicified uniform other then a small apron, in which you carried your tools. I mostly work as a cashier during my time over there, with some stockage from time to time. The days were never too long, since we always had something to do. Either you had to put things on the shelves, or you had to take care of customers. Although at he end of the day, the customers made or broke your day.

Dollarma was actually my first cashier job. It was frustrating at first, since I was doing mistakes left and right. Although over the course of a hour I was able to get it down. My manager would always be happy to help with a smile, which made me wanna work harder and better too make her proud.

The hardest part about working would have been the angry customers, but eventually you learn how to hold your ground. But the ironic part was that the best part of the job were also the customers.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Not enough complexity
Work in a productive and efficient manner
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 August 2016
I work as a cashier for a majority of the time. Occasionally I will help my co-worker stock the shelves and clean the aisle at the end of my shift.
Pros
Helpful Team
Cons
No Benefits
I am enjoying my job at Dollarama. All my co-workers are very friendly.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 April 2016
I have become an active team player. and now i have these skills during my job at Dollarama;-
• Commitment to providing effective customer service.
• Energetic, and passionate about work.
• Effective verbal, and communication skills.
• Self-motivated with problem solving, and organization skills.
• Friendly behavior.
• Good listener.
• Innovative.
• Time management skills.
Pros
Employees benefits, Vacation plan, pension etc
Cons
limited hours for employees.
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, QC10 March 2016
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Pros
First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons
minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 March 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Not your typical retail ( don't work for peanuts )
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 October 2016
Dollarama is a sweat shop I wouldn't recommend someone I hate to work there. workers are
Under paid barely appreciated and over worked I.e( if u work a 7-8 hour shift depending which store u work at u will be lucky to get two breaks) I mean they will give u 30 min break prolly when ur shift is almost done but hey what do I know overall it's not the worst place on earth there are worst jobs but just make sure u go in there with a mindset understanding that ur a merchandiser /maid First customer service and everything else comes last the only glimmer of light for this company is that most of the employees are genuinely nice people who have been tricked into believing there in a good company that cares about them but they really don't i mean have u ever had a job where they make u work 6 days a week and don't even ask ur permission they say u have to !! And one last tip at DOLLARAMA expressing how u really feel about a manager or management in general will get u nowhere. voicing opinions and complaining is frowned upon they won't tell u this so I will good luck to those who still apply u see that what I've written is not a lie
Pros
Friendly conworkers
Cons
Long hours no appreciation to get a break is a battle
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 December 2016
The hardest part of the job is to stand for hours on cash. The most enjoyable part would have to be the employees I worked with. The management wasn't the best either.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
poor pay, with head office micro managing
CASHIER (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 April 2016
work life balance is not good here, minimum wage job with head office micro managing, we lost a good manager due to politics, now is a good time to apply for a job here as their will be lots of rotation going on. i received 3 raises when i was here.. and twice the minimum wage surpassed my wages. soo i'm back to square one
Pros
it's a job
Cons
bad morale
okay work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Espanola, ON28 June 2016
Dollarama I find is a good place to work but lacks in areas where change is needed. Dollarama needs to focus on there Salary and benefits as well life balance
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Tiring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2017
This job is pretty busy, most times you are not bored because there is always something to be doing. I learned how to keep the store neat and tidy and also learned all my cashier skills here. Most of management was OK but there is some that were just not fair and picked favorites and were just rude. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with all the different types of costumers but the best feeling is when you stop someone from stealing. I always left this place sick or in a bad mood tho so it wasn't the job for me.
Pros
Got payed
Cons
Always made me sick
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours

2.8