Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,076 reviews matching the search
Fine for starting, not great for families
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 March 2017
If you live with your parents, or are previously retired and bored, its okay.
If you need to survive a family, do not work at a Dollarama. The hours are unpredictable, you could go from 25 hours a week one month, to 4 hours a week the next. They do not trust their employees, or make sure there is a safe and happy work environment.
The expectations are also ridiculously high, and the payoff for a job well done doesnt exist.
Sometimes you will find a good manager, but most times the district manager will disrespect themto the point of making them cry.
Advancement isn't worth it - the Assistant Manager only made 0.75 cents more than the Keyholders.
Average workplace
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC23 March 2017
The management at the Dollarama I worked at was impeccable. I had a Y oriented manager that had a more friendly approach towards motivating his workers. The hours are flexible, (to a limited extent, due to the nature of store hours) and my colleagues were great friends. Rarely would I be arbitrarily reprimanded as the work load was minimal. All together it was a wonderful work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management, management opporitunities
Cons
difficult clients, can be physically demanding
fast paced, energetic and fun
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK26 March 2017
I love working at dollarama because i love the product we sell, and i feel that i have come familiar with the product. With this knowledge i am able to help the customers with any and all questions they have about are products. I also love working in a fast paced customer service environment , helping people find what they are looking for and giving them my input about a product they are interested in buying. I love the people i work with and just love the overall retail experience at dollarama
Pros
friendly co-workers and customers, love helping people, have a strong customer service work ethic
Cons
not enough hours
A productive place to work, fast pace,friendly environment,clean.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 March 2017
A typical day at work would be punch in and out every shift.
Counting till before & after shift.
Making drops from till.
Making cash drops.
facing Isles.
Cleaning.
I have learned to respect the people around me and Costumers.
it's very challenging from one day to the next.
fast pace you have to be on you're toes every day.
I loved working with the management they where always there to help you and to listen to you're concerns.
I loved working with all the staff & co-workers we are one big happy family.
the hardest part of the job was unloading the skids.
I love working with people and enjoy hard labor.
Pros
getting along with the coworkers & Managment
Cons
not enough hours
No good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan6 March 2017
Job at first was good to me, now it no good, being taken advantage of. Hours were good at first but as soon as they know you are able to push freight out really fast they start giving you less hours to put your freight out. You would think if you can work your butt off you think you would get more hours. No job security at all, even being designated as an Assistant Manager in a small store, they consider 25 hours a week full time hours. Anywhere else considers full time to be 37 to 40 hours a week. Anyone considering a job at Dollarama should look elsewhere.
Pros
Nothing good about it
Cons
Hours suck
Productive and enjoyable work place
Aisle-owner/Stock associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 March 2017
Working at Dollarama, I learned to be self-sufficient, to judge my work properly and accurately. That when Do not know something to ask many questions and retain the many answers. That management is always there to help and support as long as you do what you need to do and give 100%.The hardest thing about working there was that the hours varied but other than that it was challenging and my capacity for knowledge grew exponentially. My co-workers made my time there vey enjoyable and I learned from the many different people
Pros
Good management
Cons
Lack of hours
only benefit - the people you work with
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 March 2017
I enjoy the management, the people I work with are fun although the inventory system needs improvement as it is hard to stay motivated on a store level when head office sends too much freight and doesn't give enough hours to fulfill the needed duties to run the store.also they need to set a system to allow employees to feel motivated to work harder. There are set wages, you can't get a raise other then 10c a year and a small increase if you get promoted to key holder.
Pros
employees are friendly
Cons
no way of getting a pay raise
Do not work for dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 March 2017
At dollarama you'll usually find a friendly staff who are pretty easy and enjoyable to work with, but in general management tends to have unreasonably high expectations, often asking you to stay late and work for free or even skip your lunches. hours and extremely unreliable and the upper management (district manager and upward) are disrespectful and only care about their money. This is a hard place to work, despite the fact that you'll make a few friends
Pros
Friendly in-store staff
Cons
Long hours, poor management, unreliable schedule, unrealistic expectations
Easy casual retail job. Not a career.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 February 2017
A typical day at work is to clock in, read the day's assignment (Cashier, Stocking, etc) and go do it until told otherwise, or a customer asks for assistance. Typical retail work, Minimum wage.

The workplace culture was very casual, almost to a fault. No hats, wear a Dollarama apron or poncho, be polite. That's about it.

The hardest part of the job is that your hours will be cut. Expect 4 to 12 hour weeks, unless you're promoted. You will hear about benefits during the training, however these benefits will not apply to you as a part time worker.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Little hours
A growing company
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC20 February 2017
I have had to pleasure to watch Dollarama grow as a company over many years. Dollarama is committed to embracing new technologies to help with store operations. Although some feel this is slow in launching to the individual stores, it is still certainly welcome. This will take some of the non-value added tasks off of the manager and employees plate. Dollarama is a great place to work if you want to build your retail experience. Be prepared to work fast and hard is this crazy busy environment.

Want to know more about Dollarama?

Ask a question
Tiring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2017
This job is pretty busy, most times you are not bored because there is always something to be doing. I learned how to keep the store neat and tidy and also learned all my cashier skills here. Most of management was OK but there is some that were just not fair and picked favorites and were just rude. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with all the different types of costumers but the best feeling is when you stop someone from stealing. I always left this place sick or in a bad mood tho so it wasn't the job for me.
Pros
Got payed
Cons
Always made me sick
Faced paced, co-operative, and organized workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS4 February 2017
Everything you need to know is posted up ahead of time and in easy to find locations. You are pushed to get better with every shift as work becomes familiar and you become more comfortable with the store's layout. Everyone works as a team with their own tasks, but will help each other in a pinch.
Pros
Easy to learn work, fast pace, good co-operation
Cons
Mixed bag of customer interaction, very tight time crunch
great experience and fast past
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 March 2017
A typical day at dollarama is very busy and fast past. I learn how to be a better leader. management is very nice and supportive. everybody is like a family and works well together. hardest part is having many things too do in a 4 hour shift. most enjoyable part is making friends and being able to work with them and just having fun while working.
Pros
long time friendships
Cons
long hours, open almost every holiday
great co-workers, defiantly made the experience for me.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 February 2017
it ended up being a pretty standard dollar store job, i would think. my fellow co-workers and managers defiantly made it enjoyable. plus Dollarama carries more products then other dollar stores so i was able to help customers out more so than i would have been able to at a different dollar store.
Pros
can drink beverages on the job.
Cons
i was only hired for seasonal work.
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
It wasn't what I had in mind but the experience was good to learn
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 January 2017
Every morning I'd start at 8 be there to open doors with co worker get the cash registers ready open doors at 9 certain hrs do my money drops and money count exchange money give change to cashier's check list off broken items in store make sure shelves were properly organized some co workers were awsome some had good days n bad days it was good experience.
Cons
8hr shifts
Hard but rewarding work
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC8 February 2017
A typical day as a sales representative at Dollarama involves dealing with customers, helping them find what they are looking for and processing their orders. One has to count and re-conciliate the cashes at the end of the day and prepare the store for the next business day.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great experience.
Cons
Shortage of working hours as part-time employee
It's okay
merchandiser, overnights, recovery, and cashier (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 March 2017
It's alright if it's your first job because you still have a lot to go through and learn. It teaches you time management, customer service and handling cash for closing. They push you to do your best and they do their best to help you grow professionally getting you ready for either a career at Dollarama or a better job.
Pros
Good co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours.
Good people to work for
Associate (Current Employee) –  Orleans, ON21 March 2017
I have been with the company four years and they have been very good to me. They were understanding and supportive when necessary. It is a comfortable atmosphere and friendly staff and management. There is always something to do and learn.
Pros
They have in store promotions where you can win Timmy's cards etc.
Cons
Sometimes shifts are unpredictable as is most retail stores.
it was a great and challenging job. i learned many new things. this company gave me training to serve myself as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2016
it is a great experience of working at dollarama. working environment was good. but the thing i do'nt like about that job was the management did not told me already that it is just a temporary job you can get lay off at any time.they hire us only because that store was going to open soon. they took hard work from us just for stocking for few days. and then they give lay off papers. because of that job i have to loose my previous job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8