Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee), Kirkland, QCMarch 10, 2016
Pros: First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons: minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Paid holidays
Cons: Everything else
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Fun place to work, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gananoque, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Cons: No hours, no benefits, min wage, no bonus
Learned a ton of information that I did not know
No hours available
Fired multiple staff after new store opened
Uses employees just to set up store
No notice in letting staff go
Do not trust their employees (bag checks, can't ring other people through, can't scan family or friends through etc)
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
acceptable work place
Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
Pros: i can transfer to other location if i am moving
Cons: i do not feel learn anything about that job, and it is not a good job for long run.
it has been my part time job when i was in school. I enjoy serving different personality customers. all co-worker are really nice and helpful. however, work hours are not stable, and salary is low.
It's an okay company but not great
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: basic understand of work requirements and responsibilities
Cons: lack of benefits and low rate of pay
loading and unloading pallets of store merchandise, sorting merchandise according to designated aisles, stocking shelves after pricing merchandise with price guns
Facing,shelving and unpacking the box
Cashier and clerical work (Current Employee), Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2016
Cons: short hours
I work as dollarama for 5 years . I had an experience for shelving and facing. I like dollarama but it is very low salary . I was prepared to work very hard because I have great focus.
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee), New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons: Store manager with superiority complex.
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
good company
Store manager in training (Current Employee), barrieOctober 7, 2015
Pros: decent pay
Cons: long hours
Dollarama is a good company to work for if work life balance is not an issue. It is a physical and time demanding job with ok benefits but not great. Overall it is a good company to work for.
unrealistic goals
Store Manager (Former Employee), Bathurst, NBJuly 24, 2015
Pros: hard workers
Cons: unrealistic goals and pushy upper management
Highly demanding physical environment. Upper management did not appreciate the hours and hard work that was put in. No positive feedback for anyone from upper management.
Salary was extremely low for such a large company.
My staff was awesome to work with, they were fun and enjoyable. Upper management was not supportive and very stressful.
easy going
Store Manager (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: working with good people
Cons: Long hours during christmas
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Dollarama but I am looking for a place of employment to make a career. The pay for managers should be much higher depending on the store level.
Had a lunch table
Part-Time Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 14, 2015
Dollarama was one of my first real jobs. The salary was lower, however the work was easy and not to demanding. Overall my experience went well and was happy to work for them.
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee), Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
Pros: A very supportive staff
Cons: I dont think there are any Cons with the company
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
working with people
STORE ASSOCIATE (P/T) (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Pros: good camaraderie of the associates
Cons: short hours & low salary rates
the most enjoyable part of the job was working with different kind of customers alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons: Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
Had a great manager who fought to get more hours for the employees.
Keyholder (Former Employee), Embrun, ONMay 27, 2015
Pros: birthday off with pay...some drug benefits
Cons: shift work that was inconsistent, ie...morning, night, morning
My typical day would include answering help codes to the cashiers, answering customer questions, performing daily inventory counts, stocking shelves, putting away overstock to designated areas. I also received/shipped goods depending on what shift. Performed opening/closing duties including but not limited to, balancing cashes, petty cash, safe, recording of gross/net sales, and preparing deposits.

My favourite part was my interaction with the public. I liked my manager because she fought for us for more hours.
productive and fun workplace
Assembleur (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 19, 2015
I liked my workplace and my co-workers,i learned information about cleaning about company,i liked my shift.Was not very hard for me and my salary par hour was good for me
Easy workplace for beginners
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Current Employee), OntarioMay 24, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff, easy work
Cons: Constant changing of management, low hours, min. pay with no raises, terrible benefits
Best part about this job is that its easy work and doesn't take too much thinking. As a sales associate/merchandiser I work the cashiers and put out product/maintain appearance of the shelves and walls. All of the duties are repetitive so it becomes very easy to grow lazy and bored of it all depending how long you stay there. Management at the store I work at is constantly changing, assistant managers and key holders are coming and going monthly. This makes it hard to build personal relationship and trust with staff. Co-workers are usually amazing and make the job worth the while. They are there to talk to when the store is not busy. I have learned from this job that being at the management level in retail is very stressful and doesn't provide many pros for wanting to move up the ladder. Dollarama is a great starter job for high school students or anyone without job experience. Dollarama is a multi-billion dollar company and should consider upgrading the benefits for full-time staff and offering a more competitive wage or offering raises every so often.
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: close to home
Cons: management wasn't the greatest
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
fast paced environment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), LondonSeptember 15, 2015
Cons: salary
very high volume, fast paced environment. Shifts seem to fly by quickly because you always have something to do. The staff is great for the most part.
Headquarters