Dollarama Employee Reviews

Its an okay job has its ups and downs
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
A typical day of work consists of starting your day by breaking daily skids or arriving to work and having your buggy of merchandise ready to be put out for your aisle. Stock and arrange merchandise for your current aisle along with filling out daily count sheets. Assisting the cashier on the cash register when busy. Working evening shifts consist of stocking some boxes and cleaning the store up for the next day.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 September 2016
Being able to do just about everything here, from being a cashier, to stocking shelves, to breaking down skids. I learned to do almost everything you can do here. The co-workers are great. Hardest part of working here is trying to stock as much as possible and cleaning the store. No matter what or how much you do there is always more. All you can do is keep moving and get done as much as you can. There are always customers that are not in a good mood and decide that it's your fault so the best thing to do is help them get what they want and help them on their way while keeping a good attitude.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
Fun workplace as you meet new people everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 October 2016
Would just go to work for 6 hours and spend 5 hours on cash as our location was quite busy. I've learned good customer service from the fellow employees and how to remain calm during the busy hours. The hardest part of the job was that there were usually only 4 people working during the evening shift and the store was huge. We had to do the returns and clean up all by ourselves.
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
Nice place with very little pressure
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 November 2016
It was a really nice experience, My manager was very kind and helping, never overload me with extra work. Always supportive and guiding. The store has proper kitchen for lunch and other meals. Co worker were also very kind and supportive.
Pros
Proper kitchen for dinning and breaks
Cons
Unlike many places we dont get any discount or free things from the store.
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2016
When I was working at winners I gain more knowledge and experiences. I enjoy doing markdown and do processing especially in home department and in kids department. I enjoy working too in the frontline as a cashier and dealing with different people. In this company I learn how to work as a team with my co workers and respect their culture and belief.
Pros
free lunches and vacation pay
Cons
no chance to become a fulltime employee
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 September 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.
A decent work environment with some people who are great to talk to.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 August 2016
Typical day would be to help customers pay for their items while filling pop or snack s near the front of the store.
I learned how to work on a till and how to deal with the pressure of a busy day.
Management was okay, would take several breaks to smoke but was overall pretty good.
Most co-workers were easy to get along with.
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters.
Most enjoyable part was my break.
Pros
Life Experience
Cons
No other pros
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
Great selection of items, well organized and neat, easy to find what you are searching for
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Heartland5 October 2016
Dollarama provides many great things at a rock bottom price.The management is Very polite to listen of all problems and theco workersisfriendlynature.
Pros
all the great products we have, at such unbelievable prices
Cons
Dollarama store employees are paid minimum wage to start
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
Treat you like cattle
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  WINDSOR,ON4 October 2016
THEY PERFORM TEDIOUS, RIDICULOUS, TIME CONSUMING, cycle counts daily. Counting thousands of candy, chocolate bars that are neatly stacked (which have to be unstacked to count) and are in MULTIPLE locations.

Managements only concern is the amount of product they force you to put out.

The pay does not equal the amount of work you perform. Not only are you required to get a TON of merchandise out but you are constantly interrupted by having to go on cash 15-30 times a day.

And then there are staff meetings-pointless, babbling on and on about who is not performing, who needs to work faster, who left what where, etc.......which they just said two days prior.

The staff are all miserable, they treat the merchandisers like cattle, the team-lead, key holders get a few extra cents but loads more work.

If you want a LOSER JOB--APPLY NOW.
Pros
SEE ABOVE
Cons
TOO MANY TO MENTION
Fun working environment
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2016
Dollarama was a great place to build my experience in the customer service, retail industry. It's taught me a lot on how to build structure in a working environment. It being my first job I've gain skills working with cash, customers and how businesses are ran to be the best they can be.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Was only part time at that time
Hard working staff in a fast paced envrionment
Assist management (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2016
Having the versatility of working the store front when needed, maintaining an aisle and doing the books made for a pleasant work day because things were kept interesting. Management at the time were great and very considerate of the employees.
Pros
understanding management staff and employees
Cons
working weekends and evenings away from my family
Fast-paced and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 September 2016
You sign in 5-10 minutes before your shift.
Getting debriefed on what your tasks for the day are plus what you could have done better the day before.
Depending where you're assigned for the day, you start working on the floor or in the back right away.

There's no time for slacking or slowing down because of how much people come in and out and how much needs to be done in addition to being maintained.

It's a fast paced workplace which teaches workers how to be on time, do the most that they can do in the given time and to go beyond what's expected of them to make the work more efficient for everyone else.

It's very team oriented, and when you work there, it is very noticeable.

The most I enjoyed about this job is the people/customers you get to meet everyday, and the management and colleagues that work with you.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Fast-paced, non-stop work
Can be very busy at times, but also rewarding when you have helped an elderly person and they give you a hug
Cashier/Stock-Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON9 August 2016
A very good environment to work in. My co-workers and management were always willing to guide and help me. Not only did I learn how to use a cash register and balance the till, I found it easier to converse with the customers. They were a wonderful group of people to work with.
Pros
Bonus at Christmas
Fun and friendly experience
Cashier/ Stock (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 November 2016
Friendly and helpful staff to work with. My employers were genuinely caring about myself and perfect customer service.
Some days were fast paced but I was up for challenge.
The job gave me experience in customer relations and team building skills. Hardest part was saying good bye.
Pros
great staff

2.8