Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,029 reviews matching the search
Easy casual retail job. Not a career.
Associate (Current Employee) –  Prince Rupert, BC20 February 2017
A typical day at work is to clock in, read the day's assignment (Cashier, Stocking, etc) and go do it until told otherwise, or a customer asks for assistance. Typical retail work, Minimum wage.

The workplace culture was very casual, almost to a fault. No hats, wear a Dollarama apron or poncho, be polite. That's about it.

The hardest part of the job is that your hours will be cut. Expect 4 to 12 hour weeks, unless you're promoted. You will hear about benefits during the training, however these benefits will not apply to you as a part time worker.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Little hours
Tiring workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 February 2017
This job is pretty busy, most times you are not bored because there is always something to be doing. I learned how to keep the store neat and tidy and also learned all my cashier skills here. Most of management was OK but there is some that were just not fair and picked favorites and were just rude. The hardest part of the job would probably be dealing with all the different types of costumers but the best feeling is when you stop someone from stealing. I always left this place sick or in a bad mood tho so it wasn't the job for me.
Pros
Got payed
Cons
Always made me sick
A growing company
Manager (Former Employee) –  BC20 February 2017
I have had to pleasure to watch Dollarama grow as a company over many years. Dollarama is committed to embracing new technologies to help with store operations. Although some feel this is slow in launching to the individual stores, it is still certainly welcome. This will take some of the non-value added tasks off of the manager and employees plate. Dollarama is a great place to work if you want to build your retail experience. Be prepared to work fast and hard is this crazy busy environment.
Faced paced, co-operative, and organized workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NS4 February 2017
Everything you need to know is posted up ahead of time and in easy to find locations. You are pushed to get better with every shift as work becomes familiar and you become more comfortable with the store's layout. Everyone works as a team with their own tasks, but will help each other in a pinch.
Pros
Easy to learn work, fast pace, good co-operation
Cons
Mixed bag of customer interaction, very tight time crunch
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
it was a great and challenging job. i learned many new things. this company gave me training to serve myself as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2016
it is a great experience of working at dollarama. working environment was good. but the thing i do'nt like about that job was the management did not told me already that it is just a temporary job you can get lay off at any time.they hire us only because that store was going to open soon. they took hard work from us just for stocking for few days. and then they give lay off papers. because of that job i have to loose my previous job
It wasn't what I had in mind but the experience was good to learn
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 January 2017
Every morning I'd start at 8 be there to open doors with co worker get the cash registers ready open doors at 9 certain hrs do my money drops and money count exchange money give change to cashier's check list off broken items in store make sure shelves were properly organized some co workers were awsome some had good days n bad days it was good experience.
Cons
8hr shifts
Overall 2/5
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 December 2016
I have no complaints about my working experience at 'Dollarama' at all. 'Dollarama' itself is a great business franchise. And at the end of the day; a 'job' is a 'job'. I ensured that I had put my full effort into everything I had worked/tasked on, to even the smallest tasks. I just felt that none of my co-workers were motivated to work at all; lousy and uninterested to say the least; and my efforts to help the store run more smoothy we're being overlooked; as if the management didn't really care about improvement.
great co-workers, defiantly made the experience for me.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 February 2017
it ended up being a pretty standard dollar store job, i would think. my fellow co-workers and managers defiantly made it enjoyable. plus Dollarama carries more products then other dollar stores so i was able to help customers out more so than i would have been able to at a different dollar store.
Pros
can drink beverages on the job.
Cons
i was only hired for seasonal work.
Hard but rewarding work
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Lasalle, QC8 February 2017
A typical day as a sales representative at Dollarama involves dealing with customers, helping them find what they are looking for and processing their orders. One has to count and re-conciliate the cashes at the end of the day and prepare the store for the next business day.
Pros
Flexible schedule, great experience.
Cons
Shortage of working hours as part-time employee
Poor Management
Cashier, Stock (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB12 January 2017
When I was employed at the Beaumont Dollarama, it was not a very fun experience. I learned how to use the cash register. The management wasn't very good. Some of my co-workers were a blast to work with, others not so much. The hardest part about this job was having to work with some of the other co-workers who made working there not so good. I did not enjoy working here.
Cons
Poor Management
I loved working with Dollarama.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Vancouver, BC11 February 2017
Enjoyed interacting with cusutomers.
All the colleagues were friendly.
For me there's no such hard part of the job. Manager was really good and working with Dollarama in general is pretty awesome.
Cons
cashier has to call key holder if customer wants to void any item that has been already scanned, which takes a lot of time and same with the price override.
nice place friendly people. extreamly busy.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 December 2016
everyone was very friendly, staff and employees, but we were constantly busy, i would recommend working for dollarama.be prepared to be very on your toes. manager was very flexible with hours and very kind. the manager schedules breaks witch i thought was another nice thing as well. overall good experience.
Pros
very friendly people
Cons
always busy, ALWAYS
good company to work for
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Callingwood North, AB3 January 2017
*Good company that treats everyone fairly and with respect.
* Have learned good selling skills.
* Always have something to do.
* Learn new marketing skills
* Managers treat people with respect
* Keeping up with stocking
* Find new ways to display merchandise that is pleasing to the consumer
Pros
exciting
Cons
trying to get some co workers to accept changes
Fun workplace
Caissière et commis de plancher (Current Employee) –  Mirabel, QC27 January 2017
Everyone is happy to work together, we all get along and we work as a team. Coworker conflicts are very rare, the manager and supervisor are very understanding, they listen when you speak and will do anything to make work a good, safe and fun environment to work in. They are serious and dedicated to their work just like every single employee
Nice place with very little pressure
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 November 2016
It was a really nice experience, My manager was very kind and helping, never overload me with extra work. Always supportive and guiding. The store has proper kitchen for lunch and other meals. Co worker were also very kind and supportive.
Pros
Proper kitchen for dinning and breaks
Cons
Unlike many places we dont get any discount or free things from the store.
Its an okay job has its ups and downs
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
A typical day of work consists of starting your day by breaking daily skids or arriving to work and having your buggy of merchandise ready to be put out for your aisle. Stock and arrange merchandise for your current aisle along with filling out daily count sheets. Assisting the cashier on the cash register when busy. Working evening shifts consist of stocking some boxes and cleaning the store up for the next day.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB8 December 2016
The dollarama was a good place to work. Working with the customers was a great experience. The cash register was easy to work, and you were able to learn everything very quickly. This job was always fun, and you always enjoy coming into work everyday. It's a great place to work!
I enjoyed my job at Dollarama
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK28 January 2017
I always enjoyed what I was doing I liked the people I worked with and my employers. I liked that I got to meet old friends and new faces. I enjoyed that I was able to assist customers with finding what they were looking for or answer questions that they may have had.
Pros
Was always a positive work enviroment
Cons
Wages were not so good
Flexible hours and good work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE/ KEY HOLDER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 February 2017
Most of my duties consist of cashing people out, stocking items, closing the store and supervising others. Working as team to give fast and efficient service especially during busy times of the year like christmas and during seasonal pack ups to get the store ready.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Not much benefits

2.8