Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
Pros
great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons
Store manager with superiority complex.
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, QCMarch 10, 2016
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Pros
First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons
minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Pros
A very supportive staff
Cons
I dont think there are any Cons with the company
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management wasn't the greatest
Fun place to work, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a ton of information that I did not know
No hours available
Fired multiple staff after new store opened
Uses employees just to set up store
No notice in letting staff go
Do not trust their employees (bag checks, can't ring other people through, can't scan family or friends through etc)
Cons
No hours, no benefits, min wage, no bonus
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 1, 2016
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
Pros
Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons
Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
Pros
great atmosphere, great management
Cons
low hours when store isnt getting enough business
Great job until the new manager came in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kingsville, ONApril 4, 2016
I worked for Kingsville Dollarama since they opened. The job was enjoyable and the staff was great. I loved my job until the new manager came on. Job became stressful, unorganized and poorly run! I had to quit because I didn't feel like getting yelled at during work everyday anymore. Unfortunately there was no help from the district manager either. Great place to work if they get new management in there!
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Poorly managed
easy going
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Dollarama but I am looking for a place of employment to make a career. The pay for managers should be much higher depending on the store level.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
Long hours during christmas
poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SKFebruary 21, 2016
working for this company was the worst. it got to the point where i had taking my issues up with the manager and they did not care. so i took it to the district manager and yet they still did not care. i took it one step further and took it to the provincial manager and nothing came out of it, so i wrote a letter to head office stating my problems and nothing happened so i stayed for another 2 months and left due to zero communication.
Pros
non
Cons
no comunication between management
Always busy but best job i ever had
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 27, 2016
A typical work day included pulling stock, stocking shelves, helping clean, helping close the store, and cleaning.

I learnt everything I know about working from working at the Dollarama. I was once told by my manager that I could go far in this company or in any retail company because my sale skills and how great I am with customers was really good.

management was a little on and off at this company. Stress played a big part in it and the supervisors weren't as patient or willing to teach like I thought they should be. I love almost everyone I worked with and made very good relationships with a lot of people.

The hardest part of this job was trying to get all your stuff done in one night. I was always very busy and never stopped moving until the end of my shift. The best part of this job was being able to stock my "aisle" and see that all my work that night paid off.
Pros
long hours, split shifts, decent pay at the time
Cons
nothing
Heavy and fast productive place to work
Front Cashier/ Floor worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Falls-Windsor, NLJuly 22, 2016
Dollarama is a fast paced place. no time to sit down only on your break, and they maybe 15 mins, or an hr. There is always something to be doing, and that can be either by working on the floor down in an isle by braking a cart apart, and that is by taking merchandise out of the boxes and putting it on the shelf and making sure it is properly blocked in and to make sure that there is no goats or pegs left lying around, making sure product is lined from top to bottom, and also taking count of products. When working on the cash, there is full time being up at the front and serving the customers. it is a face paced but to serve the customers is what is the best thing about being the cash. seeing the customers is what makes your day go faster and making them happy to find to what they are looking for. it will take time out of your schedule, but it will take and make your day so much more fulfilling.
Pros
Great team
Cons
No liquid beverage on the floor or on the cash
It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers
fun and friendly
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONDecember 22, 2015
loved working here, the management can be hit and miss but most of mine have been good. hardest part would be some of the rude customers love how like a family the staff becomes working as a team.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
no real advancement opportunity
hire today gone tomorrow
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 27, 2016
i worked at the eglinton location during store launch setting the store up for its grand opening i arrived early ,worked hard and left late many nights every day and they canned me and a few other workers the day before the opening (how cold is that ?) saying "we had to let a lot of people go because we can't afford to keep you all. strange how they hired totally new replacements tho. i call bullcrap on this, work there if you must but KEEP LOOKING for something better the term "a pat on the back is just a few inches away from a kick in the butt" is especially true with dollarama.
Pros
great co workers, cool vibe.
Cons
shifty, exploitive management
Great job for students
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 10, 2016
Dollarama at the South Common Mall, Mississauga I would not recommend this store. Store owner does not put safety first for Employees and Customers ( No Video Cameras) .

The isles are full of boxes and therefore customers cannot get by.
The floors are filthy and the Cashier Scanners are broken and held together with elastic bands.

Wire baskets are broken and Customers complain that they are making holes in there clothing.

No 15 minute breaks when busy.
Management leave the store without letting staff know (smoking outside of the Dollarama entrance.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Over worked and under paid
Great work place as a beginner
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 27, 2016
As a beginner, Dollaroma was a great work place for me. I worked without stress and flexible hours, peers were friendly and the management was great. I learned how to deal with different types of customer at Dollarama. They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages. I had been worked there eleven months. I was able to handle customer complaints every day and it taught me to be more patient. Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Pros
Dealing and talking to customers was one of the most enjoyable parts of my job.
Cons
They game me part time schedule, and I got low minimum wages.
Productive and fun workplace with good staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Good employees and management who make you feel welcome and important in the workplace. Very helpful and understanding of errors and willing to work around your schedule. I learned how to operate a cash register and how to stock seasonal items for the store. Improved basic mathematics skill. Co-workers are fun and reliable, knowledgeable about the store and are serious when needed. The hardest part of the job was standing in the same spot for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, getting to know my co-workers and chatting with nice customers while serving them in a quick manner.
Pros
Free coffee, long breaks

2.8