Dollarama Employee Reviews

it was a great and challenging job. i learned many new things. this company gave me training to serve myself as a cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 December 2016
it is a great experience of working at dollarama. working environment was good. but the thing i do'nt like about that job was the management did not told me already that it is just a temporary job you can get lay off at any time.they hire us only because that store was going to open soon. they took hard work from us just for stocking for few days. and then they give lay off papers. because of that job i have to loose my previous job
First job
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON1 January 2017
This would be a really nice job for someone who is a student and wants to earn some pocket money on the side. The downside to the job is the lack of security depending on the area you work. The benefits are reasonable compared to the fact that a lot of retail stores do not offer these amenities. You get a Christmas bonus which is quite nice. Would not recommend this as a career but definitely a good part time gig.
benefits
Cons
lack of security, always on your feet
Overall 2/5
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 December 2016
I have no complaints about my working experience at 'Dollarama' at all. 'Dollarama' itself is a great business franchise. And at the end of the day; a 'job' is a 'job'. I ensured that I had put my full effort into everything I had worked/tasked on, to even the smallest tasks. I just felt that none of my co-workers were motivated to work at all; lousy and uninterested to say the least; and my efforts to help the store run more smoothy we're being overlooked; as if the management didn't really care about improvement.
It wasn't what I had in mind but the experience was good to learn
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK13 January 2017
Every morning I'd start at 8 be there to open doors with co worker get the cash registers ready open doors at 9 certain hrs do my money drops and money count exchange money give change to cashier's check list off broken items in store make sure shelves were properly organized some co workers were awsome some had good days n bad days it was good experience.
Cons
8hr shifts
Its an okay job has its ups and downs
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2016
A typical day of work consists of starting your day by breaking daily skids or arriving to work and having your buggy of merchandise ready to be put out for your aisle. Stock and arrange merchandise for your current aisle along with filling out daily count sheets. Assisting the cashier on the cash register when busy. Working evening shifts consist of stocking some boxes and cleaning the store up for the next day.
Poor Management
Cashier, Stock (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB12 January 2017
When I was employed at the Beaumont Dollarama, it was not a very fun experience. I learned how to use the cash register. The management wasn't very good. Some of my co-workers were a blast to work with, others not so much. The hardest part about this job was having to work with some of the other co-workers who made working there not so good. I did not enjoy working here.
Cons
Poor Management
Nice place with very little pressure
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON30 November 2016
It was a really nice experience, My manager was very kind and helping, never overload me with extra work. Always supportive and guiding. The store has proper kitchen for lunch and other meals. Co worker were also very kind and supportive.
Pros
Proper kitchen for dinning and breaks
Cons
Unlike many places we dont get any discount or free things from the store.
nice place friendly people. extreamly busy.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 December 2016
everyone was very friendly, staff and employees, but we were constantly busy, i would recommend working for dollarama.be prepared to be very on your toes. manager was very flexible with hours and very kind. the manager schedules breaks witch i thought was another nice thing as well. overall good experience.
Pros
very friendly people
Cons
always busy, ALWAYS
good company to work for
Key Holder and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Callingwood North, AB3 January 2017
*Good company that treats everyone fairly and with respect.
* Have learned good selling skills.
* Always have something to do.
* Learn new marketing skills
* Managers treat people with respect
* Keeping up with stocking
* Find new ways to display merchandise that is pleasing to the consumer
Pros
exciting
Cons
trying to get some co workers to accept changes
Fun workplace as you meet new people everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON28 October 2016
Would just go to work for 6 hours and spend 5 hours on cash as our location was quite busy. I've learned good customer service from the fellow employees and how to remain calm during the busy hours. The hardest part of the job was that there were usually only 4 people working during the evening shift and the store was huge. We had to do the returns and clean up all by ourselves.
Busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE11 October 2016
A typical job at Dollarama includes restocking product in my work station on cash, counting my till before and after my shift, making drops.When working the evening shift's wipe things down and sweep the aisles and pick up any merchandise on the floor and putting it back where it belongs same with the merchandise people decided they didn't want to buy.I learned how to use a cash register, customer service and count my till before and after my shifts.
The management was very helpful and fun to work with, along with my co-workers who always did their job fast and effectively and helped out when help was needed. I wouldn't say there was a hard part to my job. But the most enjoyable part of my job was that I know I worked hard and did my best as an employee.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Short hours
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB8 December 2016
The dollarama was a good place to work. Working with the customers was a great experience. The cash register was easy to work, and you were able to learn everything very quickly. This job was always fun, and you always enjoy coming into work everyday. It's a great place to work!
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON29 September 2016
Being able to do just about everything here, from being a cashier, to stocking shelves, to breaking down skids. I learned to do almost everything you can do here. The co-workers are great. Hardest part of working here is trying to stock as much as possible and cleaning the store. No matter what or how much you do there is always more. All you can do is keep moving and get done as much as you can. There are always customers that are not in a good mood and decide that it's your fault so the best thing to do is help them get what they want and help them on their way while keeping a good attitude.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 September 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
Productive and Efficient Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ON5 October 2016
A good work environment, a typical day would consists of me fulfilling all the tasks required, never disappointed the manager. I learned many things about customer service, and how to provide the best service possible and create a welcoming environment. The store had poor management, but great co-workers. Hours were good, and over all a good experience.
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 September 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
Busy Environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON13 October 2016
Normally my day is spent at cash, until the line is short then I am sent to a designated aisle to make sure is clean by the end of the day. I learned how to efficiently clear a long line up. The hardest part of the job was that being at cash all day would sometimes get boring. The most enjoyable part was my co-workers, since I got along with them very well.
nice co-workers
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 October 2016
what I learned was to mind my own business and do my work, and whatever I am told to do.
A typical day was managing the cash and organizing the stock shipment on floor/shelves.
The most enjoyable part of the job was organizing, since I like to see things neat.
Pros
Free lunches on special occasions
Cons
not enough work equipment, like for example: latter's
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 September 2016
When I was working at winners I gain more knowledge and experiences. I enjoy doing markdown and do processing especially in home department and in kids department. I enjoy working too in the frontline as a cashier and dealing with different people. In this company I learn how to work as a team with my co workers and respect their culture and belief.
Pros
free lunches and vacation pay
Cons
no chance to become a fulltime employee
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ON13 September 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.

2.8