Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee) –  Kirkland, QCMarch 10, 2016
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Pros
First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons
minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Everything else
Fun place to work, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gananoque, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Learned a ton of information that I did not know
No hours available
Fired multiple staff after new store opened
Uses employees just to set up store
No notice in letting staff go
Do not trust their employees (bag checks, can't ring other people through, can't scan family or friends through etc)
Cons
No hours, no benefits, min wage, no bonus
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
Facing,shelving and unpacking the box
Cashier and clerical work (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 31, 2016
I work as dollarama for 5 years . I had an experience for shelving and facing. I like dollarama but it is very low salary . I was prepared to work very hard because I have great focus.
Cons
short hours
It's an okay company but not great
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 20, 2016
loading and unloading pallets of store merchandise, sorting merchandise according to designated aisles, stocking shelves after pricing merchandise with price guns
Pros
basic understand of work requirements and responsibilities
Cons
lack of benefits and low rate of pay
acceptable work place
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 6, 2016
it has been my part time job when i was in school. I enjoy serving different personality customers. all co-worker are really nice and helpful. however, work hours are not stable, and salary is low.
Pros
i can transfer to other location if i am moving
Cons
i do not feel learn anything about that job, and it is not a good job for long run.
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
Pros
great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons
Store manager with superiority complex.
good company
Store manager in training (Current Employee) –  barrieOctober 7, 2015
Dollarama is a good company to work for if work life balance is not an issue. It is a physical and time demanding job with ok benefits but not great. Overall it is a good company to work for.
Pros
decent pay
Cons
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Pros
A very supportive staff
Cons
I dont think there are any Cons with the company
easy going
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Dollarama but I am looking for a place of employment to make a career. The pay for managers should be much higher depending on the store level.
Pros
working with good people
Cons
Long hours during christmas
unrealistic goals
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bathurst, NBJuly 24, 2015
Highly demanding physical environment. Upper management did not appreciate the hours and hard work that was put in. No positive feedback for anyone from upper management.
Salary was extremely low for such a large company.
My staff was awesome to work with, they were fun and enjoyable. Upper management was not supportive and very stressful.
Pros
hard workers
Cons
unrealistic goals and pushy upper management
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 1, 2016
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
Pros
Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons
Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Pros
close to home
Cons
management wasn't the greatest
Had a lunch table
Part-Time Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 14, 2015
Dollarama was one of my first real jobs. The salary was lower, however the work was easy and not to demanding. Overall my experience went well and was happy to work for them.
working with people
STORE ASSOCIATE (P/T) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
the most enjoyable part of the job was working with different kind of customers alongside my colleagues and learning from them.
Pros
good camaraderie of the associates
Cons
short hours & low salary rates
Had a great manager who fought to get more hours for the employees.
Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Embrun, ONMay 27, 2015
My typical day would include answering help codes to the cashiers, answering customer questions, performing daily inventory counts, stocking shelves, putting away overstock to designated areas. I also received/shipped goods depending on what shift. Performed opening/closing duties including but not limited to, balancing cashes, petty cash, safe, recording of gross/net sales, and preparing deposits.

My favourite part was my interaction with the public. I liked my manager because she fought for us for more hours.
Pros
birthday off with pay...some drug benefits
Cons
shift work that was inconsistent, ie...morning, night, morning
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
Pros
great atmosphere, great management
Cons
low hours when store isnt getting enough business
productive and fun workplace
Assembleur (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 19, 2015
I liked my workplace and my co-workers,i learned information about cleaning about company,i liked my shift.Was not very hard for me and my salary par hour was good for me
It was a great experince working at Dollarama
Key Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONMay 6, 2016
A typical day at work was a great experience because I was able to learn how to work as a team leader and as a team. I learned so much working at Dollarama, I was able to learn how to open and close the store, prepare deposits, do deposits at the bank, handling cash, dealing with receiving, stocking the shelves, dealing with customer complaints, deal with co-workers complaints, working as a cashier... The management and co-workers was great people to work with and for. The hardest part was trying to do the extra daily deposits and trying to be there on the floor at the same time, but I learned that I could only do one thing at a time. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the people and for the people
Pros
pros was being respected by my co-workers