Dollarama Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Overworked and underpaid
PART-TIME STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMarch 18, 2016
Pros: Paid holidays
Cons: Everything else
This job is good to work temporarily (i.e school) but not good for the long haul. When merchandising, the manager expects you to keep your aisle fully stocked and cleaned while working 5 hr shift. You're also called to cash many times while merchandising. The pay is horrible. Essentially minimum wage and only get raise 10 cents per year. This job is not worth it if you want to advance to management positions. They tend to promote people that have less experience than you which is upsetting.
Dollarama
Cashier and Stock (Current Employee), Kirkland, QCMarch 10, 2016
Pros: First job, learned the ropes of being in a corporate type of job, had some nice and wonderful teammates
Cons: minimum wage, no health/dental benefits, sometimes unrealistic expectations for jobs done in given time, sometimes biased promotions were given, unable to be given a choice in length of lunch (30 min), depending on who was manager at the time per was a micromanager.
For a Cashier I would either server clients at the cash by greeting them with a smile and a greet of "Bonjour/Hello". Then process their purchases in the scanner, place in bag(s), say total, then receive money. Sometimes I would answer customer questions. When not serving a customer, I would clean up cash area with dustpan and brush or cleaning solution and cloth. Fill up certain areas like gum/chocolates/glasses or batteries around the cash. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.

When not at cash, stocked shelves with merchandise from boxes. Sometimes put away customer misplaced items.Sometimes I would answer customer questions.
Wonderful workplace with no clue on how to manage the location.
Cashier, Stock Upkeep (Former Employee), New Liskeard, ONApril 3, 2016
Pros: great co-worker community, dependable "keyholder" management
Cons: Store manager with superiority complex.
Typical work included stock, cash, and janitorial duties, in a relaxed environment with efficient workers of various backgrounds. The location basically trained staff on managerial duties, if only to inform them they would never be able to attain this later.

The store's general manager changed nearly six times during my work period at this location, the final manager being a pickup from a high brand store near by that had been fired for what he proceeded to begin doing at this location. Each manager after the first successively knew less about managing the location until the last, who was more fit for a roll in the political environment.

This was one of my favorite places to work by far, barring the final manager, each worker knew their location and duties upon entering the store as a community having developed without the asinine instruction of management other locations tend to struggle with.
I enjoyed working with the people at Dollarama. It was a nice friendly place to work. Management was wonderful.
Cashier (Former Employee), Corunna, ONApril 4, 2016
Pros: A very supportive staff
Cons: I dont think there are any Cons with the company
The hardest part of the job was lifting some of the boxes or cases there was always team work and support from the rest of the co-workers
I did learn more about year end inventory. It was interesting and fun. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers. The regular customers are great. Meeting new people was always a joy.
Fun place to work, poorly run
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Gananoque, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Cons: No hours, no benefits, min wage, no bonus
Learned a ton of information that I did not know
No hours available
Fired multiple staff after new store opened
Uses employees just to set up store
No notice in letting staff go
Do not trust their employees (bag checks, can't ring other people through, can't scan family or friends through etc)
Good
Part time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABMarch 16, 2016
Initially I had experienced some problems. but later, with the help of co-workers I have learned the basics of the job. now I am enjoying the job. Dollarama is one of the bussiest shop in Millwoods town centre. As a cashier I need to be active at all the times.My ability has been praised both by my employer and customers.
it was an okay place
Cashier and Stocker (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONMarch 30, 2016
Pros: close to home
Cons: management wasn't the greatest
management was pretty biased. some co-workers were friendly others were rude and obnoxious. I was trained on cashier as well as unloading skids and stocking shelfs. hardest part of the job was the long hours.
Terrible Place to work
Key holder (Current Employee), Winnipeg, MBFebruary 1, 2016
Pros: Coworkers mostly nice and enjoyable to be around
Cons: Poor hours, terrible management including District managers and Store
For the first few months at Dollarama it was great hired as an assistant manager given A LOT of hours and nice cheques. After I finished training which I was not even given due to being transferred store to store for cleaning and pushing out stock I was sat down by my manager in our store office and given a choice. Either take a FORCED demotion or start the process of me being dismissed due to improper training I know have very little hours after giving them upwards of 60 hours a week when I first started. Poorly ran stores, terrible management and favourites is played ALL THE TIME.
easy going
Store Manager (Current Employee), Guelph, ONJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: working with good people
Cons: Long hours during christmas
I thoroughly enjoyed working for Dollarama but I am looking for a place of employment to make a career. The pay for managers should be much higher depending on the store level.
Productive and fun workplace with good staff
Cashier (Former Employee), Kanata, ONSeptember 2, 2015
Pros: Free coffee, long breaks
Cons: Long hours
Good employees and management who make you feel welcome and important in the workplace. Very helpful and understanding of errors and willing to work around your schedule. I learned how to operate a cash register and how to stock seasonal items for the store. Improved basic mathematics skill. Co-workers are fun and reliable, knowledgeable about the store and are serious when needed. The hardest part of the job was standing in the same spot for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, getting to know my co-workers and chatting with nice customers while serving them in a quick manner.
fun and friendly
Cashier/Merchandiser (Current Employee), Ajax, ONDecember 22, 2015
Pros: friendly staff
Cons: no real advancement opportunity
loved working here, the management can be hit and miss but most of mine have been good. hardest part would be some of the rude customers love how like a family the staff becomes working as a team.
poor
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), North Battleford, SKFebruary 21, 2016
Pros: non
Cons: no comunication between management
working for this company was the worst. it got to the point where i had taking my issues up with the manager and they did not care. so i took it to the district manager and yet they still did not care. i took it one step further and took it to the provincial manager and nothing came out of it, so i wrote a letter to head office stating my problems and nothing happened so i stayed for another 2 months and left due to zero communication.
Great company with fantastic employees
Associate (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 16, 2016
Pros: great atmosphere, great management
Cons: low hours when store isnt getting enough business
I'm a current employee here and this is great job, they're really flexible with your hours if you have a second job or are in school and trying to have some extra money for yourself. The management team is great and the employees are always super nice and helpful. Great starting point for a first job, they were my first employers and they'll have a special place in my heart.
In this company, employees will always have things to do.
Key Holder (Former Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 4, 2015
Weather it be stocking up products on the shelf, attending the aisle(s) assigned to the employee to clean, attend to customers, back up on cash register, Dollarama employees will always stay busy and time goes by quick as it gets busier and busier. As a key holder I learned to always stay on on my feet. Because sometimes there would be one management in the premises (me) to open/close the store, I would have to multi-task as a back up cashier, stocking shelves, cleaning aisle(s), attend to employees and customers, taking phone calls, doing inventories, going to the bank, and opening/closing the store. The most enjoyable part is going from one place to the next doing multi-tasking performance. Having said that, the hardest part of the job is satisfying customers' need. Customers tend to come back to return items because they changed their mind which is unacceptable due to our policy.
Great job until the new manager came in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kingsville, ONApril 4, 2016
Pros: Great staff
Cons: Poorly managed
I worked for Kingsville Dollarama since they opened. The job was enjoyable and the staff was great. I loved my job until the new manager came on. Job became stressful, unorganized and poorly run! I had to quit because I didn't feel like getting yelled at during work everyday anymore. Unfortunately there was no help from the district manager either. Great place to work if they get new management in there!
Great Workplace
Store Supervisor (Current Employee), Surrey, BCSeptember 13, 2015
Pros: Fun place
Cons: Restricted career progression
Good workplace, supportive management, but limited scope of professional advancement. Coworkers are very professional. Training is provided on a continuous basis. Working conditions including work hours are well balanced with company needs and worker requests. Easy to speak with Supervisors and Managers with concerns, requests and suggestions.
Easy workplace for beginners
Sales Associate/Merchandiser (Current Employee), OntarioMay 24, 2015
Pros: Friendly staff, easy work
Cons: Constant changing of management, low hours, min. pay with no raises, terrible benefits
Best part about this job is that its easy work and doesn't take too much thinking. As a sales associate/merchandiser I work the cashiers and put out product/maintain appearance of the shelves and walls. All of the duties are repetitive so it becomes very easy to grow lazy and bored of it all depending how long you stay there. Management at the store I work at is constantly changing, assistant managers and key holders are coming and going monthly. This makes it hard to build personal relationship and trust with staff. Co-workers are usually amazing and make the job worth the while. They are there to talk to when the store is not busy. I have learned from this job that being at the management level in retail is very stressful and doesn't provide many pros for wanting to move up the ladder. Dollarama is a great starter job for high school students or anyone without job experience. Dollarama is a multi-billion dollar company and should consider upgrading the benefits for full-time staff and offering a more competitive wage or offering raises every so often.
Fast paced environment, lots of grumpy people.
cashier/ customer service assistant (Former Employee), Amherst, NSOctober 7, 2015
Pros: You get to eat the chips in the back if the customers break them open
Cons: Very long hours, all weekend shifts possible, I got them.
Fast paced work environment. Constantly opening and unloading boxes. Running back and forth from cash to your aisle always. People always telling you to put more and more out on the shelves. The entire company is built around making people want to consume everything there is to offer and tricks people by calling it a dollar store. The amount of times I heard someone say "Well I really didnt need any of this but thats just what happens when you come to the dollarstore.. They should call it the 20 dollar store, or the 50 dollar store." is disgusting. Dollarama was not my strong suit thats for sure, and if you dont like grumpy people or shoving corporate product down peoples throats, then I'd say dont work here.
Productive and fun workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Pros: Fun place to work
Cons: Long Hours
A typical day at work would be unloading merchandise from pallets, pricing and stocking shelves in timely manner, Operate cash register, count and balance cash register, help customers find products in the store.
Everyday was a new learning experience from interacting with people from different background to learning new technology.
Operations Supervisor for Warehouse (Former Employee), MontrealOctober 22, 2015
Pros: Location to home
Cons: Long, long hours and weekends
Intense, high stress, hard workers, decent management, KPI driven,
hardest part of the job keeping the employees and workers in sync with the company's needs
Headquarters