Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,070 reviews matching the search
Average workplace
Cashier (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, QC23 March 2017
The management at the Dollarama I worked at was impeccable. I had a Y oriented manager that had a more friendly approach towards motivating his workers. The hours are flexible, (to a limited extent, due to the nature of store hours) and my colleagues were great friends. Rarely would I be arbitrarily reprimanded as the work load was minimal. All together it was a wonderful work experience.
Pros
Flexible hours, good management, management opporitunities
Cons
difficult clients, can be physically demanding
Slow paced job involving lots of moving products/organizing
Stock Clerk (co-op) (Former Employee) –  Val Caron, ON23 March 2017
Although I only had a co-op at Dollarama, it was slow paced and not very strenuous. Very polite staff to work with. They gave me very flexible hours while I was there, and the training was excellent.
Pros
Flexible hours
Ok if you just want to pay the bills while you get a real job
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario22 March 2017
Unrealistic expectations leave most managers no other options but to work hours without clocking in, effectively working for free. But I guess we are not doing this for the money in the first place; even though Dollarama is worth over a billion can$ the average manager makes just a few dollars above minimum wage. And be ready to be making that much for a long while as there’s almost zero chance of being promoted beyond the position of manager unless you’ve been working for them for close to a decade. Lots of DMs are hired from outside.

Training is basically non-existent; they just expect you to land running.
Pros
Most of the people you work with are awesome.
Cons
You'll have to work for free to meet HO's demands, no training, lots of heavy lifting, no chance of being promoted beyond store manager, very low compensation
Productive, learn many new skills, also include fun
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
I have learned many things, how to deal with customers and their problems, guidance. I have learn many merchandising methods. I have learned responsibilities of key holder.
Pros
Fun activities
Cons
Not as such
good
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 March 2017
Fun place to work and lots to learn . It always busy and you learn how to manage all the happy and unhappy clients.
Everyday something new pop up and you learn from that.
Pros
you are working
Cons
poor management
nice place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 March 2017
My experience to work in Dollarama is good...but i only got 9.5 hrs per week so i can not complete my expenses with less wage. on the other hand the staff members as well as manager over there is good and cooperative,
Pros
good staff and cooperative store manager
Cons
got only 9.5 hours per week
Do not work for dollarama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL20 March 2017
At dollarama you'll usually find a friendly staff who are pretty easy and enjoyable to work with, but in general management tends to have unreasonably high expectations, often asking you to stay late and work for free or even skip your lunches. hours and extremely unreliable and the upper management (district manager and upward) are disrespectful and only care about their money. This is a hard place to work, despite the fact that you'll make a few friends
Pros
Friendly in-store staff
Cons
Long hours, poor management, unreliable schedule, unrealistic expectations
Fun and enjoyable
Dollarama (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2017
Learned more experience on cashier, never gave up with working long hours, always took others shift. Customers rated my work all the time. My goals were always to work hard an never give up
Pros
Clearence
Cons
Extra hours
Fine for starting, not great for families
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC16 March 2017
If you live with your parents, or are previously retired and bored, its okay.
If you need to survive a family, do not work at a Dollarama. The hours are unpredictable, you could go from 25 hours a week one month, to 4 hours a week the next. They do not trust their employees, or make sure there is a safe and happy work environment.
The expectations are also ridiculously high, and the payoff for a job well done doesnt exist.
Sometimes you will find a good manager, but most times the district manager will disrespect themto the point of making them cry.
Advancement isn't worth it - the Assistant Manager only made 0.75 cents more than the Keyholders.
Productive and friendly workplace
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB16 March 2017
A typical day of work for me would consist of being on cash, dealing with customers, stocking shelves, and facing items along with one 30 minute break. When the store closes I sweep, fill the pop coolers and mop when necessary. The thing I enjoy most about my job is the countless social interaction from customers.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Always on cash registor
Isn't great.
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 March 2017
Management is horrible, the way they treat their employees isn't the best at all, they cut hours when they don't make enough money for the store and doing that causes employees to quit, and are forced to find a second job- new job.
Pros
It's a job.
Cons
The worst hours.
fun place
Assistant Manager (Part time) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2017
fun environment to work at especially meeting different people and you get to play dress up when its dead. its a pretty nice place to work at with friendly people
it was good to work money wise but work life culture is screwed up there
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC15 March 2017
i think if i had better management in starting things could be better and they saisd about supporting immigration and when i ask for papers they stepped back. so kinda not trust worthuy company
No advancements, terrible wage, and poor managment
Keyholder/ Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Swift Current, SK15 March 2017
They don't appreciate your work, no advances worked her for 3 years got two raises equivalent to .30 cents not including the raise you get when you go from cashier to keyholder. Poor management staff and poor hours and wage.
Pros
Cons
Alot
productive workplace great people too work with
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC14 March 2017
stocking shelves, helping customers find products breaking down skids and doing on cash, the most enjoyable part of my job is the people i work with..
Pros
great people to work with
great place to work.
smileview dental (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2017
i actually went here as a patient before i finished school and did my placement and got hired here. it was a lovely place to work, definitely recommend
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON14 March 2017
A typical day at work includes cleaning isles, operating the cash if you are a cashier, keeping shelves stocked for customers to buy items, keeping floors swept at the end of each shift, communicating with customers so they feel welcomed.
Pros
Building friendships and it's simple work
Cashier, customer service (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 March 2017
at Dollarama, all days were a typical day because there was several customers during the day. I had learned how work faster and made people or customers happy. Also, I learned how work well under pressure and multi-task.
only benefit - the people you work with
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 March 2017
I enjoy the management, the people I work with are fun although the inventory system needs improvement as it is hard to stay motivated on a store level when head office sends too much freight and doesn't give enough hours to fulfill the needed duties to run the store.also they need to set a system to allow employees to feel motivated to work harder. There are set wages, you can't get a raise other then 10c a year and a small increase if you get promoted to key holder.
Pros
employees are friendly
Cons
no way of getting a pay raise
great experience and fast past
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 March 2017
A typical day at dollarama is very busy and fast past. I learn how to be a better leader. management is very nice and supportive. everybody is like a family and works well together. hardest part is having many things too do in a 4 hour shift. most enjoyable part is making friends and being able to work with them and just having fun while working.
Pros
long time friendships
Cons
long hours, open almost every holiday

2.8