Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,168 reviews matching the search
fun place to work and shop
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Woodstock, ON21 May 2017
work for me is busy. I am responsible for the for and candy isles so you can probably tell not much time for other things.we do go through lots of food and candy so I am busy filling and putting out new stock every day and making sure to rotate . Management is good and is always there to answer any questions I may have or to lend me a hand.hardest part of job isnever enough time to get everything done.. Most enjoyable part of the day is getting to talk to all our regular customers and meeting new ones.
Pros
laughing with co workers
Cons
not enough time
productive workplace
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON19 May 2017
The day to day work was not to heavy, everyone worked really well together. Easy work days, most of the time the manager was understanding with schedule changes.c
Cons
manager at the time was not the best
It's good to start at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
The company is good. Everyone is nice. They are very flexible. The hours are kind of hard to come by, but if you are in school this is ideal. Depending on where you are management can be good or not.
only did a few months
Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, ON17 May 2017
The co-workers that i worked with were nice, kind people .. The only thing i disapproved of was being told i was going to be staying with the company full time and being put to part time and then laid off as they had over hired employers
fun
Cashier/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Corner Brook, NL17 May 2017
it was a very nice place to work and clean and enjoyable and everybody worked together and it was a team player positions and they cared for any problems
Productive and busy
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Yorkton, SK16 May 2017
Many customers come in just rushing to get back into their cars, so you have to be quick and calm. It's always nice to have a job that keeps you on your toes.
Pros
Breaks and paycheques for my bills
Cons
Hours are to short for me
Thoughts about the company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON15 May 2017
It's a steading and busy place with lots of customers ... New freight going out at all times ... Learned new tasks everyday ... Hardest part is to make room for new items, and to make sure that all new items are represented ... The most enjoyable part is that you get to meet some great people and make some really good friends along the way.
Pros
Bouns when sales are hit.
Cons
Good
Sales (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON15 May 2017
Great people, not too busy but sometimes could be busy. People are very friendly. Great management team. Overall, it is a good place to start working as a first job.
I don't really have anything positive to say
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 May 2017
I was with the company for a year. Management is sneaky towards their employees. There is a lot of gossip throughout all of the stores. I wouldn't work here again
workplace radio that relaxes you and keeps you going
skids breaker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 May 2017
Working in the back and hauling in large skids using a forklift was very challenging, especially doing the winter time as the forklift will get stuck in the snow.

Want to know more about Dollarama?

Ask a question
Good experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 May 2017
Spent most of the time ensuring the store was well maintained and stocked properly. The manager was really helpful. Everyone was nice and cooperative.
Love my managers and coworkers, hate the job
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC12 May 2017
I love this job primarily for the people, but the job itself is awful. The amount of hours we're allowed to use is given to us by head office and is never nearly enough. As a keyholder, I make a dollar more than minimum wage and no other raises are given, except for a 10 cent raise they supposedly give every year but refuse to give me. They send ridiculous amounts of one particular item that will then just sit in the back for months and take up storage space because they don't know how to send proper amounts of stock. The company is so cheap that the employees suffer and most of the good ones end up leaving. Our store in particular has a major theft problem, yet all they do to try and "fix" it is install cameras in our back room area, make sure we check employees bags every time they leave the store, make sure that we keep a receipt for our items and that they are signed (if they are not, they will remove the item from you). They have estimated that $800 leaves the store every day in theft from customers, yet won't give us an LPO and still continue to heavily survey the staff. This job is alright to get by for a little, but becomes very tiresome, very quickly.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Lack of hours, lack of proper pay, lack of higher ups caring
It was a good place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 May 2017
I had gotten a job here at just the right time. It was tough at first as I was given an overnight shift. A month of graveyard shift was difficult but I got threw it. Then I was given a day shift which made things easier. It was a fun place to work.
Depends on Keyholders and Coworkers
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Val Caron, ON11 May 2017
Overall a very good first job. In my one year of working at Dollarama I never saw an employee get promoted to Key Holder, those were always hired separately. Thus, vertical movement within the company may be difficult. If you don't mind menial work, retail bustle, and potentially picky management, there's nothing too wrong with Dollarama.
Dollarama
Merchandiser and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 May 2017
Staff was really friendly, management was good could be much better. Store needs better security.
Work load was good and manageable.
Not a lot of hours given.
Good starter job
SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON9 May 2017
- great place for starting out in a job
- not enough money for what you do, an average employee (ex.cashier) could be paid the same as someone who does stock work plus cashier duties and other extra stuff
Pros
very flexible with schedule
Cons
not the best pay
very good for 1st job
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON9 May 2017
Dollarama is a great starter job for anyone going into retail. It has all the aspects of retail work. Cash, customer service and labour. Organization skills are required, multi-tasking is a good skill to have.
in a fast paced in environment and improving customer service skills
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON8 May 2017
in dollarama you are challenged to think on your feet and make sure your customers are happy. Dollarama is a great place to improve your skills on customer services
Fun work environment, with great staff
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON8 May 2017
Dollarama is a great starting occupation for young workers. At my location where I had worked, the store was location near the downtown Kitchener area. This gave experience working with homeless individuals as well as many with mental health issues.
Pros
Fairly easy work
Cons
Not many hours
Starting
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC6 May 2017
It is a door for you if you have not any work experience in retail store that provides you basic familiarity with current Canadian franchising system.
Pros
Always hire
Cons
you put your health and life for no benefit.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8