Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,134 reviews matching the search
Cashier and Stock Person
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON23 April 2017
I worked at Dollarama during the Christmas season. Great first job for parents right after maternity leaves and students. Management wasn't the greatest.
Repetitive
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, ON23 April 2017
Was a good place to work for awhile but gets old quickly. The managment has no regard for work done and prefers to give friends the better jobs regardless of if they just started or not.
If you want to start to work fast, this is the place
Key Holder/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 April 2017
Short time vision. I can see a lot of work on logistic, controls and planning, because the operation is huge and works. But all that professionalism, does not permeates down the organization until the personnel on Stores.
Pros
Fast and simple hiring procedures
Cons
Corporate climate does not exist on Stores. Very low salaries
Horrible place to work, 10 hour days, no overtime.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB21 April 2017
In my time there, every single night we were told to sign out at the regular time, but would then spend the next 1-2 hours off the clock cleaning the place. We were never compensated for this and expected to keep quiet about it.
Delivery and Shipping
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 April 2017
Great time in the office always busy and and contacting other companies, and giving them term agreements and being on Microsoft access, excel, word. and receiving invoice and credit notes.
Fast-paced and make sure to have a good relationship with your coworkers!
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Cloverdale, BC21 April 2017
A typical day at work was fast-paced as customers would constantly be coming in and purchasing. This is especially true if you're working the cash; You would have to be able to efficiently and effectively go through a line-up that would span all the way to the back of the store, finish any additional tasks such as pricing and sorting through items to be returned to the shelves and all the while coordinating with your coworkers to ensure that there is a smooth flow of tasks and all customers are helped. Add to this that you have to have a more than passing familiarity with the location of constantly changing and expanding stock means you must be alert and focused while tending the cash. While it was physically and mentally challenging, it really helped to hone my ability to manage time, multi-task and interact with customers and coworkers alike.
typical work as a cashier and merchandiser
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 April 2017
very busy day but good. The day goes fast when your busy working . The company is good for those who seeks job temporarily for students and newcomers. You get benefits but not much.
so nice
stocker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 April 2017
i like to work in dollarama because in dollarama everybody work in team.if you work in dollarama yu can learn stoking and cashiering. also you will be know how to talk with customers.
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant Manager/Acting Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 April 2017
I worked varied hours on a regular basis. You have lots of supervisory support which was always helpful. I had to supervise between 10-12 people on a regular basis but as long as you have everyone organized with their assigned tasks you will generally have a good work day.
I enjoyed the Baker Drive Location but not the Sydney River location
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 April 2017
I enjoyed working at Dollarama on Baker Drive, Dartmouth, NS.
I was basically left alone at first to stock the aisles. Then I had to go on cash. It was full time at first because it was a new store. Then as the weeks went on because I was moving the manager gave me less hours every week. I did get a transfer to the Sydney River store in Sydney, NS but they were an older store and didn't have a clue how to run it. I wasn't able to move into my home first and then go to work. I had to work out of living in a hotel and then try to move into my new place and juggle trying to work full time hours. I then became ill and had to go off on sick leave. To this day I have not received any pay stubs or T4s for the Sydney River store. I ended up quiting this job.
Pros
i was able to transfer from another store
Cons
never got any appreciation

Want to know more about Dollarama?

Ask a question
Searching for employment to join the workforce
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 April 2017
Being organized for the next task of my job helps my day at work ,makes things easier with our daily routine for our management team and co-workers to be on time with that being our typical day
the hardest part can be replacing someone elses job title and trying to finish your own.
Pros
Having employment interacting with my skills and other people
Cons
If i cant complete a task in a timely manner
Great Working space.
Cashier/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2017
Amazing customers and co-workers, friendly management staff. Good hard work required day in and day out, over fun great experience never a dull moment either.
my first job
Key-Holder/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON18 April 2017
I started out as a Cashier than got promoted to Key-holder. So I did learn a lot from how to stock shelves to inventory and manage my co-workers. With learning how to manage my co-workers gave me more of a role by managing money and opening/closing the store by myself.
Efficient
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  London, ON18 April 2017
Dollarama is a fast paced environment. It keeps you on your feet all day. You are constantly moving, which I loved. The training system dollarama has is very thorough. Overall a good place to work, great management.
Pros
Great management
Cons
Hard to get reliable staff
fast paced and friendly enviroment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Terrace, BC18 April 2017
a typical day at work in dollarama would consist of restocking shelves every day and breaking down skids of product. i had learned alot about cash handling and opening and closing duties as a part of the management team. The hardest part of the job is just simply keeping up with the freight that came in daily and having to get it out as fast as possible with minimum amount of hours and staff. The most enjoyable part of the job was the employees that work there and they just treat eachother like family.
Pros
great family company
Cons
unsatisfying management
A Good Job to put you through school, Not enough room growth past Store Manager (depending on the district)
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2017
Overall, working with this company was enjoyable for the most part. The associates were always fun and a pleasure to work with. The managers: on one hand they were amazing and always tried there best, but the pressure of the upper management took a toll on the managers I worked with. The Standards were unreachable which often left mangers emotionally drained and no Work/Life Balance at all for management.
Pros
fun and enjoyable as an associate
Cons
Mangagers work hard with not enough perks (e.i Higher wages)
mass confusion
keyholder/manager (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON18 April 2017
Managers and employees are not trained properly. Sometimes unsafe working environment as there is many safety infractions. Schelduling is never right but that is due to lack of training managers are provided. Managers have a tendency to pick their friends or family over employees that work harder.
Pros
some of the people you work with
Cons
long hours, no organization
Fun
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB17 April 2017
I enjoyed this job. was promoted very quickly. It could be hectic but was a fun place to work. I enjoyed the staff and the customers made the job very interesting at times.
Fast paced work environment but super fun atmosphere and people
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC16 April 2017
Working at Dollarama has taught me to work under pressure, it is a great place to work, get to meet so many new people. Management was very professional and kind. The most enjoyable part was the people I worked with, everyone was so different but so kind and always willing to help.
Good for people who are just starting out!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 April 2017
I really did like this job, I enjoyed it so much that I stayed for 3 years. The other employees were very kind and welcoming, and the job itself wasn't too difficult. But I decided to quit after realizing that I was getting too comfortable. I planned to keep this job just until I was done highschool, but I ended up staying longer. I like Dollarama, but I don't want it to be my job for life. Though overall it was a great job place where I learned to be more outspoken (I was very shy at first) as well as more communitative with others. Which is a very good skill to obtain.
Pros
Seasonal gifts
Cons
Difficult customers at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8