Dollarama Employee Reviews

Loved the job, the managment was terrible
Cashier/ Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 18, 2016
I worked there just under a year- earned the position I had and worked really hard for the company.

I loved the coworkers foe the most part- loved being busy and meeting great people.
I have special needs with my availability that were ignored near the end and was told that nothing could be done and I was forced to resign.
Pros
Great customers and made great friends in coworkers
Cons
Hard work for little reward, lack of appreciation
A decent work environment with some people who are great to talk to.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 23, 2016
Typical day would be to help customers pay for their items while filling pop or snack s near the front of the store.
I learned how to work on a till and how to deal with the pressure of a busy day.
Management was okay, would take several breaks to smoke but was overall pretty good.
Most co-workers were easy to get along with.
Hardest part of the job was having to deal with shoplifters.
Most enjoyable part was my break.
Pros
Life Experience
Cons
No other pros
Keyholder/Supervisor
Key Holder/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 13, 2016
Customers were fantastic and I could and would not work with a management team that

posted the schedule with less than 12 hours notice.
schedule changed day to day with no way of checking the schedule without going in.
Breaks were not given

when I tried to bring up these facts privately and also in a group I was reprimanded for causing drama!
Pros
Meeting and helping new customers
Cons
Managament was 100% unapproachable and unfair!
productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 6, 2016
When I was working at winners I gain more knowledge and experiences. I enjoy doing markdown and do processing especially in home department and in kids department. I enjoy working too in the frontline as a cashier and dealing with different people. In this company I learn how to work as a team with my co workers and respect their culture and belief.
Pros
free lunches and vacation pay
Cons
no chance to become a fulltime employee
Fun work enviornment but never got organized enough to make me official
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa East, ONSeptember 13, 2016
I enjoyed my time there for the most part. I just didn't enjoy that they never officially paced me with the company. Never had my name on the schedule for example. I wished things worked out better to feel more secure in my position.
Pros
Fairly nice people to work with
Cons
Never assigned me to the store I applied to, never got me onto the schedule.
Can be very busy at times, but also rewarding when you have helped an elderly person and they give you a hug
Cashier/Stock-Part-Time (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ONAugust 9, 2016
A very good environment to work in. My co-workers and management were always willing to guide and help me. Not only did I learn how to use a cash register and balance the till, I found it easier to converse with the customers. They were a wonderful group of people to work with.
Pros
Bonus at Christmas
Hard working staff in a fast paced envrionment
Assist management (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 18, 2016
Having the versatility of working the store front when needed, maintaining an aisle and doing the books made for a pleasant work day because things were kept interesting. Management at the time were great and very considerate of the employees.
Pros
understanding management staff and employees
Cons
working weekends and evenings away from my family
A great part-time job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONJune 30, 2016
Those who work at Dollarama have taught me so much, and the experience I have from working there will help me for years to come. The management at particular stores leaves much to be desired and sometimes made work unbearable, but a part-time job is necessary for a student to pay the bills. My co-workers always made it worth working there.
Pros
Learning patience and people skills.
Cons
The manager you get is either amazing or makes you want to quit.
Poor store morale
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCJune 26, 2016
I worked at Terminal Park Plaza in Nanaimo BC. It was worse job I have ever had. The manager is very unprofessional running around all day like a chicken with her head cut off accomplishing nothing. Yet heaven forbid you did not accomplish your 5 carts in a 5 hour shift despite spending most of your day as back up cashier and breaking skids.
Pros
You get to see merchandise as it comes in.
Cons
No benefits, low paying, poor morale and not a team atmospere
Fast-Paced
Sales Clerk and Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Vegreville, ABJuly 16, 2016
Typical days were pretty busy. I would mostly run the cash register but I also assisted in stocking the store. We had to put out a certain amount of product each day to make room for new stuff in the back. Every so often we would go through a pack up phase were we had a limited amount of time to completely pack up and ship out a section and restock it with the new seasonal product.
Nice environment to work in
Cashier and Clerk floor (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 4, 2016
-Being a the cashier can be tiring, placing stocks is fun
-Learned how to work quickly and effectively. Learned products information.
-Co-workers are respectful and treat everyone equally.
-Hardest part of the job is staying in one spot for hours.
-Most enjoyable part is placing stocks and talking to co-workers
-Can't get enough hours
Pros
Can take things that have a ripped packaging, such as a bag of chips.
Cons
long hours staying in front of the cash-register
Creative Working Enviroment
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 13, 2016
Good place to work. Some of my co-workers are now some of my friends. A lot of heavy lifting and stocking which is typical in most retail jobs. This job gives you a lot of daily exercise as well as the opportunity to be creative in the way you stock product. Also most customers are friendly and polite.
Pros
Good excercise
Cons
Constant re-stocking
Fast-paced and challenging
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2016
You sign in 5-10 minutes before your shift.
Getting debriefed on what your tasks for the day are plus what you could have done better the day before.
Depending where you're assigned for the day, you start working on the floor or in the back right away.

There's no time for slacking or slowing down because of how much people come in and out and how much needs to be done in addition to being maintained.

It's a fast paced workplace which teaches workers how to be on time, do the most that they can do in the given time and to go beyond what's expected of them to make the work more efficient for everyone else.

It's very team oriented, and when you work there, it is very noticeable.

The most I enjoyed about this job is the people/customers you get to meet everyday, and the management and colleagues that work with you.
Pros
Understanding management
Cons
Fast-paced, non-stop work
good job for awhile, not a career goal for me.
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 16, 2016
Typical days at work i would stock most of the time, if the cashiers got to many people lined up they would call me up till the line cleared and i would go back to stocking and organizing the shelf's.
management was good, i learned a lot about how commercial stores worked and time management.
Pros
people were great.
Cons
long exasting hours
Fun and enjoyable workplace
Keyholder (Current Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKJune 8, 2016
Fun and enjoyable workplace with great co-workers who have the same likes and dislikes as I do. We have fun doing our jobs, helping each other out when we run into problems and we all pitch in where needed. My co-wokers respect me and listen when there is a certain chore to be done and I ask them to do it.
Pros
Co-workers are fun to work with, manager and assistant manager are great people.
Cons
Impatient customers.
coworkers and manegment were amazing people
Key Holder (Current Employee) –  New Liskeard, ONMay 29, 2016
Dollaram has become a home to me all of my co-workers were very nice and friendly we all got along and our customers were very nice and always left with a smile
Dollarama is somewhere we worked as a team and a family

Being a keylholder was hard at times with having so many task to take on but at times that was the best part always having a job to do and the feeling when you accomplished it
Pros
the co-workers
Cons
long hours when someone called in sick or didnt show
hire today gone tomorrow
Store associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONMay 27, 2016
i worked at the eglinton location during store launch setting the store up for its grand opening i arrived early ,worked hard and left late many nights every day and they canned me and a few other workers the day before the opening (how cold is that ?) saying "we had to let a lot of people go because we can't afford to keep you all. strange how they hired totally new replacements tho. i call bullcrap on this, work there if you must but KEEP LOOKING for something better the term "a pat on the back is just a few inches away from a kick in the butt" is especially true with dollarama.
Pros
great co workers, cool vibe.
Cons
shifty, exploitive management
Relaxed environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, ABSeptember 7, 2016
I learned how to handle debit transactions and how to handle cash on a daily basis. The manager and fellow employees were very relaxed, but not easy to interact with. The hardest part of my job was handling difficult customers on my own. The most enjoyable part of my job was the nice, polite customers and free drinks during break.
Horrible company to work for
Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONSeptember 7, 2016
Do not apply to work at this company. They say they value you as an employee but as soon as you need to discuss ANYTHING with them they find excuses for your complaints/worries/concerns and have no problem replacing you. Overall, Dollarama is a horrible company that could care less about their employees.
Good place to begin your career and develop work experience
Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ONMay 12, 2016
A typical day is very labour intensive and demanding.

I learned many skills that will help me progress through my career. The people and management were most often kind to me, but would often do what was in their best interest.

Would recommend beginning your retail career at another retail store that rewards their employees better for their hard work.
Pros
Respectable working staff
Cons
Very little opportunity for growth

2.8