Dollarama Employee Reviews

Found 1,295 reviews matching the search
Company with simple procedures and room for advancement
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON17 August 2017
Having worked in several stores over 5 years, I can say that my overall experience at Dollarama was positive. Because the company is growing, there was plenty of opportunity to advance within. I started as an associate with no retail experience, and within a year and a half I was an Assistant Store manager.

The store operations are fairly simple, as most of the company's shipped product is handled by the head office, which means rarely having to order anything. This can become frustrating however, when a staff makes an error in their stock counts, as it often results in a large amount of over-stock, or not receiving the stock at all. The merchandising standards are very easy to learn, although it can be a bit taxing to push your stock out if the store is having issues with inventory.

The efficiency and attitude of management varied from store to store, but upper management was generally good in finding and resolving issues with poor store managers. While many were good at maintaining their stores, I found their was a lack of consistency between a lot of them, with each manager doing their own routines, schedules, and merchandising procedures. This became confusing, as I found myself constantly changing my standards to suit the manager.

The hours also varied per store, with higher volumes usually producing the most hours. Full time is considered a minimum of 25, which is often what a full time employee will be scheduled unless it's a busy season. although I've seen improvements with consistency in scheduling, a Dollarama employee's shifts differ greatly from one day
  more... to the next. Being a part of the management team, I was often scheduled to close the store at night, then reopen it the next morning. to gain the most hours your schedule must be flexible.

The staff and customer base made the job enjoyable. Dollarama has a very loyal customer base, and are usually polite and friendly with staff. In my personal experience, most employees are accommodating to new staff and are very team oriented.
Pros
Friendly staff and customers, plenty of room for growth
Cons
lack of consistency with routine and hours
Fun place to work with lots of cool people.
Shelf Stocker/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB16 August 2017
It was always a good day at work, always had fun people to work with. management was good, they were fair and treated everyone equally. hardest part of the job would be having to life heavy things. most enjoyable time of the job would be lunch and leaving after the shift was done.
Pros
1/2 hr lunches
Cons
heavy lift
Great working enviroment
Cashier/Stock Personel (Former Employee) –  Lansdown Ave16 August 2017
Was in amazing experience working there. A lot of the staff are wonderful and the customers were the best part of working there. You never knew what to expect when starting your shift. You could of ended up having a long shift because of a co-worker being in a mood or having a shift that went so well you didn't want it to end. Sadly at the end of my time there the manager and I didn't see eye to eye about how certain things should have been dealt with when it came to the way supervisors treated those beneath them.
Pros
Relaxed working enviroment
Cons
the last manager I dealt with ruined the positive outlook I had of the place
Not worth the stress for full-timers
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 August 2017
This place would be alright if you are a student and need a part time job, but if you are looking for full-time work, its not worth it.

Management is poor at handling situations, especially if there are issues with employees, whether its complaints from customers or other employees. District Manager doesn't talk to other employees on anything involving the store. Only speaks to the manager or assistant manager. Environment of the workplace is soul sucking and employees give the feeling they don't care about the place. Benefits are garbage, if you can even call them benefits. No safety when having to deal with shoplifters. No security guards, so if we catch a shoplifter, we have to ask them to leave the store, not knowing what they could be carrying (lot's of sketchy people come in and be prepared to find a lot of empty packages of knives lying around). You can't give refunds (only exchanges) in the store unless its a defective product so be prepared for a lot of angry customers.
Pros
Decent for part-timers
Cons
Not worth full-time
Not for me
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB14 August 2017
Due to very specific circumstances that occurred while I was employed I would not recommend this company to others seeking a fulfilling job in a healthy and stable working environment.
job security
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB14 August 2017
felt safe while working here. went in did my job and went home. pay was not great but i enjoyed my job.some good people also, and a few good district managers. management is very unorganized.
all in all was an alright place to work.
Pros
job security, some good people
Cons
hours got cut regularly, poor management
meet different people everyday
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 August 2017
it was a good opportunity to meet different people with different culture everyday and try to help them what they need in order to give them a good shopping experience.
Productive place of work
Cashier and Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON13 August 2017
A work day as a cashier typically consists of serving customers, maintaining store cleanliness and ensuring all customers are satisfied with their shopping experience
Started well
Full Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  London, ON13 August 2017
i learned how to work with different types of people, how to help customers as efficiently as possible, how to run cash and how to put stock out fast.
Pros
working with some great people and learning new skills
Cons
hours, manager, and some difficult customers
Enjoyable atmosphere
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario9 August 2017
Dollarama is a fast paced work environment which can be very self rewarding when merchandising. Dollarama carries a wide assortment of products to ensure customer satisfaction.
Dollarama review
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
Dollarama is a very busy place and not easy to work at. The staff is very enjoyable but some days it can become chaos. It is still a good place to gather experience in the retail industry.
Les employés étaient tous très sourirant et le gérant aussi
Commis (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC8 August 2017
Puisque le magasin était nouveau, j’ai aidé à tout préparer pour l’ouverture. Lors de mon travail comme commis au Dollarma, j’ai acquis de l’expérience en service à la clientèle et appris le fonctionnement d’une caisse enregistreuse.
job experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK8 August 2017
overall had a great experience working here, other employees were great, we worked independently most of the time, which is what i like. iwas pregnant so had to leave
Pros
great hours, day goes by fast
Cons
short break considering yoyur working lots and stocking loits and carrying and lifting heavy items
just a job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 August 2017
the hours where very routine and the environment made it easy to come to work every day. The management was amazing and the co-worker where great too. The starting pay was horrible according to the amount of daily duties and responsibility. I would recommend this job to a high school student, who is looking at a starter job only. This job is not for adults looking t support their family or themselves.
Pros
leaving
Cons
employees
Need Better Human Resource Involvement
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  London, ON7 August 2017
The job in itself is great. Lots to learn and do.
The environment is toxic.
Too much to do and not enough time to get it done.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the regular customers who make it a pleasure to work.
Friendly staff, time schedule often unorganized
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ON7 August 2017
The work environment was good as well as the friendly co-workers. The scheduling was often confusing, I was booked occasionally on days I repeatedly said that I could not work due to schooling at the time.
Productive and a fun workplace with friendly co-workers and customers
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 August 2017
Productive and friendly environment with many returning customers. Created a family environment around the area and very safe. Work days consisted of restocking and rearranging aisles, cashing out customers and payroll/paperworks at the end of the day. I learned how well to manage my time, work with various customers and co-workers, attained problem-solving skills and self-confidence.
Management could have been better but they were constantly trying to improve which made me continue to want to work for that location. The most enjoyable part of the job was during holiday seasons. Line ups were long with many customers shopping for their loved ones and sharing their charity stories. Felt nice to be able to help them for a good cause.
Pros
Christmas dinner with co-workers
Cons
Very short break times, especially for Managers and key holders
Fast paced work environment
SALES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON5 August 2017
Cash and stock. Price changes, inventory and merchandising. Very fast paced. Long hours. Communication with customers and customer service. Great place to work although minimal hours.
Pros
Busy
Cons
Minimal hours
Fun place to work
Cashier and freight (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB4 August 2017
Steady work hours. Fun people to work with. Good work environment. Great customers, developed good customer service experience. Was happy to come into work everyday.
Cashier/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 August 2017
Too much expectation and never enough time for everything to get done. Not enough staff to cover huge lines of customers. Enjoyed working with customers though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollarama. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8