Dollarama

Dollarama Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and fun workplace
STORE MANAGER (Current Employee), st catharinesApril 22, 2015
Dollarama is a place where you definately have to multi task. A typical day includes, inventory counts, cash balancing, stocking shelves, training new employees, scheduling, payroll, filing and clerical work, dealing with vendors, as well as customer concerns or complaints. The company is a good company to work for.
Productive work place
Cashier, stocking, cleaning (Current Employee), Sydney River, NSApril 21, 2015
* Same review as other Dollarama option*

- Great place to work
- Awesome Employees and management
- Flexible hours

Very productive place to work, always something to do.

Stocking isles, cleaning isles, or being on cash. In a run of a shift i do all 3 of these. Also I complete a task chart every shift.
cashier/stocking/keyholder
Cashier (Former Employee), mississaugaApril 20, 2015
Pros: christmas dinner
Cons: short hours
on a regular shift i would cash out customers
had my own aisle that needed inventory put on shelves
balanced tills after or before my shifts
There's never a dull moment here.
Supervisor (Current Employee), SSMApril 20, 2015
As a supervisor I am responsible fro the whole store when the manager is absent. During that time I have many tasks to complete. There's always something to do, weather I am helping out on cash, reorganizing, doing my paperwork or talking to a concerned customer I am always busy. On a typical night there is stock to be taken down from the skid and organize; the pop coolers are to be filled, all the isles cleaned and faced, and returns organize/ put away. I could go on for hours of all the little things that are done in a shift, but most of all we organize the store and keep it clean.
A simple job but very fun
Store Associate (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBApril 15, 2015
Pros: Friendly atmosphere, diverse responsibilities
Cons: Seasonal rushes were very busy
One of the best parts of this job was that there wasn't really a typical day at work. I would either work the cash register, stock shelves or clean the store.

I learned the basics or working in a retail store. Working a cash register, counting money at the end of the day, maximizing shelf space to display everything.

Management was very friendly, I always felt comfortable talking to my superiors as equals and felt that my work was being recognized. Whenever an employee was reprimanded, I always felt that there was good reason for it.

My co-workers were one of the best parts of the job. I got along very well with all of my co-workers and maintained relationships with all of them outside of work at some point. I still keep in contact with one of the co-workers I met at Dollarama.

The hardest part of my job was during the Holiday season, where there was so much work that it was difficult to think straight but luckily it didn't last forever.

I enjoyed many things about this job. I enjoyed my co-workers, my managers, I liked counting the money at the end of the day with my supervisor. It felt like a game when I had a set of items that needed space on the shelves. It was oddly satisfying to arrange a shelf so that all items were next to related items and spaced properly.
Company that is not with the times
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Timmins, ONApril 15, 2015
Pros: Small staff
Cons: Company that isn't taken seriously by consumers
Working for Dollarama made me learn new skills which will help me with future careers in retail. However, while working at Dollarama, I found the company to be quite behind on technology. For example, normally if you go to Walmart or Home Depot, you don't see associates counting merchandise by hand and then writting it down on paper. Usually these companies have gadgets that make things go quicker.
There is always something to do; you are always busy
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2015
It was easy to pick up on the responsibilities of being a keyholder, and the workplace and co-workers were friendly and welcoming.
The fellow keyholders were always on their task and did everything expected of them as best as they could.
The management team never slacked off and were real leaders.

The hardest part of the job was trying to do everything as perfectly and as efficiently as possible; there never seemed to be enough time to do a full day's work. It didn't help that the hours were short and so much was expected to be done.
On a good day, where there are few customers and little trouble, a lot could be done. On bad days, where customers come in crowds and there's not enough employees on the floor to assist inquiring customers/or handle cash, it takes a toll on everyone.
All in all, the most frustrating thing about the job was that I always wanted to do more than the hours I was given allowed. There is always something to do.

The most enjoyable part of the job is the fact that I was doing something. I really enjoy working, it came as a pleasant surprise but I truly enjoy working at Dollarama. My co-workers were awesome and friendly and always did their best, the customers were diverse and interesting, and the neighbourhood the Dollarama I worked in was a nice and bustling one.
The people and the job were enjoyable, the management was not.
General Employee (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 12, 2015
Pros: I met a lot of fun people, I learned skills that I would be able to take with me to other jobs, and I learned how to work under pressure.
Cons: The hours weren't very flexible, the store manager was hard to like.
A typical day at work entailed lots of interaction with the staff as well as the customers and a lot of rushing back and forth between tasks. I learned how to work a cash register and how to work with rowdy or difficult customers. The management at the time of my employment was very strict, nearly stifling. My co-workers were amazing, I really enjoyed working with and learning from them. The hardest part of the job would probably be when I would be on cash by myself during a rush. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the people around me and being able to build the skills and relationships that I now have because of it.
Has its ups and downs
Supervisor (Former Employee), Orleans (tenth line road)April 10, 2015
Pros: frequent pizza lunches and coffe runs
Cons: open to close shifts every weekend for management and supervisors
My particular location had great management, but overall not the best place to work because hours available are based on sales.
Hardest part of the job was having to work open to close shifts in Xmas season - given the deals Dollarama provides things get hectic
Worst part is even as a supervisor i only got 80 cents raise.
Dollarama typical day
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Cornwall, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: quarterly bonuses
Cons: inventory counts every day
Your day starts with refilling inventory levels,moves to cash preparation, goes to receiving incoming shipments,continues on to cycle counts ,employee scheduling ,cleaning, inventory recovery,employee shift changes, store close & daily reporting. I learned to schedule everything accordingly to achieve the required result. Management was a mix of great to terrible. Co-workers were a mix of the good, bad & somewhere in between. The hardest part of the job would be keeping up to the layout changes as per the regional manager& district manager visits. The most enjoyable part of the job was the satisfaction of creating a team that always got it done.
Great Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 8, 2015
It was a great place to work and gained a lot of great experience. It was my first job and it had great people there to work with. It was a great first job to have and I would go back and work there again if I could.
less stress job
Cashier / Customer Service (Former Employee), Erin mills Pkwy. MississaugaApril 8, 2015
Pros: free gifts every special occasions
Cons: sometimes bored
i worked in Dollarama as a cashier. I only stayed in one location that is the front of the store which is very convinient for me. The management team are so professional and helpful. No discrimination and my co workers are all friendly.
Lots of stocking shelves and counting
Store Manager (Former Employee), Burlington, ONApril 8, 2015
Pros: flexable shifts
Cons: so much counting
Start day get a sheet of items to manually count
unload a truck put out merchandize
Cash handling
not enough time in the day to get out all freight and to down stock form the back room

people nice worked for but at the time I was there really behind the times

As I am now a customer can see lots of improvements have been made
Cashier (Current Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 7, 2015
Brilliant place to work, enjoyed the people and the customers. a typical day is being at the front and helping customers with their transactions (sales). I learnt how to work with a team and manage projects. management was kind, workers were helpful, and customers were not overly rude.
hardest part was breaking down skids, some boxes were just too heavy. most enjoyable part was meeting and talking to new people, makes your day go by faster
Experience at Dollarama
Cashier (Former Employee), Newmarket, ONApril 7, 2015
Pros: Connection with Employees
Cons: Not having an online schedule
My overall experience at Dollarama was nothing but amazing, I learned so much from starting from the bottom of the store right until opening day on May 6th. I met so many people that have taught me so much and we're great people to work with. We are like a family there and no matter what I needed they were always open to helping me.

Dorian Brundage.
Customer Service/Sales and Key holder (Current Employee), WinnipegApril 7, 2015
Pros: They don't want to supply you with anything
Cons: You have a job! Plain and simple
Dollarama only supplies you with a job. Plain and simple.
They offer no benefits, other than 80% off of meds, and that you can claim on income tax. So they make you pay into it.

Breaks are only 1 - 30 min. There is no coffee break before lunch, or after lunch for many. Some people get them, but not enough get them. There is not enough people who work cash, so that people can have a break and there is way too much stock that is delivered on each day.

The company does not support any charities that I can see and not only that, but they do not supply cutlery, or paper towels for you to dry your hands on. Often people have to dry their hands on their clothes.
You cannot even have your own locks, they have to be the locks that the company supplies and the locks suck!! Any key can open a lock. No matter who's locker it is.

Maybe Dollarama should concentrate more on their employees and their well being instead of opening as many stores as they can and only care about the BOTTOM LINE! When the store does well, offer your employees, a bonus and not just MANAGEMENT!!!
great place for first job
Dollarama-Cashier (Former Employee), Windsor, ONApril 6, 2015
I would check in and put on my apron and login into the till. The counters were somewhat small and it was hard when people brought up big items or a lot of items all at once because of the room i had to work. Nonetheless it was manageable. One other difficulty was that there was sometimes no space to put all the bags if they were too big. But it was nice working there because it was good salary for my age, kind customers and the employees and supervisors made it a very friendly and welcoming environment.
Retail
Supervisor (Former Employee), Regina, SKApril 3, 2015
First and only job in retail and it was another experience. Fun and energetic people to work with. Management was great. New experiences
Busy and involved workplace with encouraging and supportive staff.
cash and aisle clerk (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaApril 2, 2015
Pros: In a shopping mall, excellent staff
Cons: Very loud, hours could be sparse
A fun and fast paced work environment with supportive management and staff.

Due to the location in a shopping mall we were always very busy with both customers and balancing stock. It was very important to have very good multitasking to handle customers, stocking, and talking about plans with associates.

Dollarama taught me how to think on my feet and to appreciate the people who work on the stock side of a retail business. Due to its location we were often huge shipments of merchandise daily and it was only through the efforts of our supervisors and managers that our system worked as smoothly as it did.

At the end of the day the most difficult part of the job *and* the most enjoyable part of the job were the customers. Most of the people are strangers to you and you don't know how they're going to act toward you so it can be a guessing game. The best part of working for Dollarama was certainly getting to meet all sorts of new people every day as well as my wonderful associates but the worst part was the grumpy customers.
productive and busy store
Sales Associate (Former Employee), queen and brock locationApril 1, 2015
the most enjoyable part of the job was filing empty shelves,and having control of set ups,work great alone or with a team

1 2 3 4 5

About Dollarama

Dollarama is Canada’s leading national operator of dollar discount stores. Dollarama has grown to become a household name, – Read more