Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

Great Team, great store manager
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 March 2017
The manager is a great person, fun to work for. Unfortunately the company does not give enough hours for staff to live off of.
But overall a good place
Pros
good, fun team
Cons
not enough hours after xmas
a typical day at work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 February 2017
its usually pretty busy as a cashier. when not busy, i clean the front, put things away and make sure the front end is stocked. the hardest part of the job is dealing with certain customers.
Cons
not many hours
Great
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB23 February 2017
Amazing people and place to work, the customer were pleasant, the job was easy to learn and gave you lost of opportunity to grow within the business a great place for a career in business
Pros
People
My Work Day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 February 2017
My typical day at work is come in 10 minutes early and start fixing up the store before we open the doors and then we count the cashes and sign in and what i learn from this job is being able to help my customers out and make sure he are looked after at the cash.The hardest part of the job is working with the employees and me having to do extra work because they don't do it right. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the time to talk to the custmers and ask how there day is putting a smile on there face when they come to the cash.
Productive place to work with flexible hours.
Part-time Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 February 2017
A typical day would be to cash out every customer, put away anything customers leave behind in their designated aisles, clean around the registers by sweeping, changing the garbage, and by picking anything up that was left around the cash station. It is also my duty to clean the front seasonal area and the front end-caps to make sure it looks presentable when customers walk in.

I learned to be more patient when it comes to customers who might need extra help with what they are looking for, I learned to be more confident when it comes to approaching customers or management and I learned great people skills in which I will continue to keep with me.

When I first started at Dollar Tree I was very happy with management because everyone made friends with each other so it was very comforting. Although as time went on and new management came in, it became a little difficult to get used to so many changes as there was a point where management would change every 3 weeks. It still has been difficult to adapt to because it is different, but it is something I will get used to.

The workplace culture is great because the customers and my coworkers make it that way. Everyone is incredibly kind and I have made friends with them. I love that everyone I work with is very reliable and have positive attitudes because it makes the work environment a great place to be.

After working at Dollar Tree for over a year, nothing has been difficult for me. All I found difficult was trying to learn how to work the register when I first started working there, but that was picked up quite quickly.
  more... Overall it's not a difficult job which makes it enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to meet so many different people and being able to help the customers that come to the store. It is rewarding when I am able to help someone in anyway and working a retail job has been great for that reason.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Disorganized
Had problems with manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB6 February 2017
only worked there for three weeks due to difficulty with reading the schedule causing me to miss too many days. The schedule was not set up in an easily legible way. When I would ask for help from my manager, she would refuse to help, and just watch me struggle or walk away. The customers were more helpful than my manager. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it, as it was not difficult work. While there were no customers waiting to pay, I would be organising shelves, sweeping, returning items to proper section, etc.
Fun to work and great friendly co-workers
Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON5 February 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Dollar Tree. I wish I could continue to work with them

The day would start walking to the bank before opening to deposit the previous days earnings. Then the day would start slow and pick up every couple hours then slow back down.
very ffriendly and fun place to work, everyone helps each other
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 January 2017
working at Dollartree has helped me to develop my skills with people and how to be more productive with my time .
Each day is a new experience and the workers there are very close knit family type of atmosphere which makes for a good time at your work area. Some of the customers can be very demanding so patience has helped to get thru solving problems each day. The staff there have a good knowledge of the products and the sales of each day...The Manager @ Argyle Mall in London, Ontario, is very knowledgeable of sales and customer service....her name is Mary Antille and she has been with Argyle store since 2014, and working with her , we have seen the shrinkage dropped considerably, and sales has been above normal at times.
My view of Dollartree is that it is very good store to work at and good store to shop at.
Pros
very friendly and knowledgeable of products and sales
Cons
it can be long hours if they get them to work product, get to floor for sell
A great Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC21 January 2017
It was a great place to work. All the coworkers and managers are really nice. I learned how to work a cash register and to get better at counting money. The only thing I didn't was rounding money and getting confused what way to go.
Comfortable Workplace; Not the Most Secure
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON20 January 2017
I personally have had a mostly good overall experience at this company. I learned how to comfortably work with money, as well as how to correctly deal with costumers. I do suggest the company invest in security alarms and cameras, since having a lack of security reinforcement does make is a soft target for possible theft.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not the safest
work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB20 January 2017
Unfriendly employees, boring environment. Learned how to cash out and run cash registers. Often cleaned store, faced and stocked the shelves, and I helped set up the entire store.
a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON16 January 2017
I wanted to try a new career change and thought I might be interested going into the retail business.
I enjoyed working as a team and with a diverse clientele. I also really liked that everything in the store was the same price, this really excited the merchants.
Working the cash was a challenge as I had never done it before but the Dollar Tree believed in me and hired me without the experience.
The training went very well. I enjoyed my employment there.
I am a very friendly person and loved working with the clientele.
Cons
short breaks
i enjoyed working at dollar tree but management wasn't great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
the management wasn't great , but i enjoy the job and coworkers overall clean store. part time hours was always something to do. was busy sometimes nice flow during the day
Some days were better than others
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 January 2017
Need more people at dollar tree with more people skills,also need to work as a team witch they are lacking,should look forward to go into work not looking forward to going to work,
Great first-time job
Cashier / Cash Office (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON5 January 2017
Working for Dollar Tree was a great experience in customer service 101 and learning the art of multi-tasking.
The hardest part of the job was only getting four hour shifts at the beginning. My store was great at offering extra hours or being able to offer the coverage of other shifts. If you want to work, they want you to work!
My management team changed a bit as we were a training store and we saw some great transitions for staff members. Great sense of community within Dollar Tree.
A typical morning shift could include facing, emptying the return baskets, ensuring balloon orders were prepared and ready, answering the telephone, filling the fridges and helping customers. Closing the store included sweeping / mopping, collecting return items, facing and stocking was a constant feat throughout the day.
The coworkers at my Dollar Tree location were of all ages and each brought something different to our store. Were some were weaker, others were stronger. Great team overall.
Pros
First dibs on new products, great work-life balance, friendly atmosphere, easy-going
Cons
Head Office was not easily accessible, communcation and coupons could have been better discussed and planned
Part time Keyholder
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  East York, ON1 January 2017
This was my first job as a student and it has taught me quite a bit. To start off it shows how the world of retail functions and also the basics of hierarchy. Managers are treated like absolute trachand so are the employees. No matter how busy or big the size of the store there will only be a cashier and a manager to run the store which is pathetic. My years of working there we were not allowed to exit the store for our breaks and had to work at time on our breaks. I could go on and on about the downsides of working here. If anyone is looking to apply here for work make sure that you do not get enticed into a managerial position as you will learn the downside the hard way.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list
family
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2016
Same group of people for 5 years plus you become family. Enjoyed the friendly customers and staff. Good atmosphere. Good company to work for if looking for something part time.
Pros
staff
Cons
theft
Dollar Tree Experience is Awesome
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 December 2016
A typical day at work is very calm and also fast past during times of the day. Every employee is friendly and no one discriminate against each other. The management is very productive and precise that there was never a problem, Customers love the Dollar Tree environment. The hardest part of the job would be having to count large sums of money to be deposit in the bank, I had to be very careful and not lose any profit towards the organization . I enjoyed everything about the job though. I mostly improved on my communication skills witch is very important to me.
Had some good moments but poor planning
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 December 2016
There was not a lot of planning involved with getting the store ready and ended up with no communications about important problems many times, first manager was friendly but was left just as stranded as the rest of us
Comfortable & Fun Establishment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON27 November 2016
This place of employment was excellent, with compassionate staff and a comfortable vibe I was able to work to my fullest potential. I also enjoyed the shifts I was given.
Pros
good hours, caring staff, clean
Cons
location

2.7