Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

A great Place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maple Ridge, BC21 January 2017
It was a great place to work. All the coworkers and managers are really nice. I learned how to work a cash register and to get better at counting money. The only thing I didn't was rounding money and getting confused what way to go.
work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lacombe, AB20 January 2017
Unfriendly employees, boring environment. Learned how to cash out and run cash registers. Often cleaned store, faced and stocked the shelves, and I helped set up the entire store.
a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON16 January 2017
I wanted to try a new career change and thought I might be interested going into the retail business.
I enjoyed working as a team and with a diverse clientele. I also really liked that everything in the store was the same price, this really excited the merchants.
Working the cash was a challenge as I had never done it before but the Dollar Tree believed in me and hired me without the experience.
The training went very well. I enjoyed my employment there.
I am a very friendly person and loved working with the clientele.
Cons
short breaks
i enjoyed working at dollar tree but management wasn't great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
the management wasn't great , but i enjoy the job and coworkers overall clean store. part time hours was always something to do. was busy sometimes nice flow during the day
Some days were better than others
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 January 2017
Need more people at dollar tree with more people skills,also need to work as a team witch they are lacking,should look forward to go into work not looking forward to going to work,
Great first-time job
Cashier / Cash Office (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON5 January 2017
Working for Dollar Tree was a great experience in customer service 101 and learning the art of multi-tasking.
The hardest part of the job was only getting four hour shifts at the beginning. My store was great at offering extra hours or being able to offer the coverage of other shifts. If you want to work, they want you to work!
My management team changed a bit as we were a training store and we saw some great transitions for staff members. Great sense of community within Dollar Tree.
A typical morning shift could include facing, emptying the return baskets, ensuring balloon orders were prepared and ready, answering the telephone, filling the fridges and helping customers. Closing the store included sweeping / mopping, collecting return items, facing and stocking was a constant feat throughout the day.
The coworkers at my Dollar Tree location were of all ages and each brought something different to our store. Were some were weaker, others were stronger. Great team overall.
Pros
First dibs on new products, great work-life balance, friendly atmosphere, easy-going
Cons
Head Office was not easily accessible, communcation and coupons could have been better discussed and planned
Part time Keyholder
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  East York, ON1 January 2017
This was my first job as a student and it has taught me quite a bit. To start off it shows how the world of retail functions and also the basics of hierarchy. Managers are treated like absolute trachand so are the employees. No matter how busy or big the size of the store there will only be a cashier and a manager to run the store which is pathetic. My years of working there we were not allowed to exit the store for our breaks and had to work at time on our breaks. I could go on and on about the downsides of working here. If anyone is looking to apply here for work make sure that you do not get enticed into a managerial position as you will learn the downside the hard way.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list
family
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 December 2016
Same group of people for 5 years plus you become family. Enjoyed the friendly customers and staff. Good atmosphere. Good company to work for if looking for something part time.
Pros
staff
Cons
theft
Dollar Tree Experience is Awesome
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 December 2016
A typical day at work is very calm and also fast past during times of the day. Every employee is friendly and no one discriminate against each other. The management is very productive and precise that there was never a problem, Customers love the Dollar Tree environment. The hardest part of the job would be having to count large sums of money to be deposit in the bank, I had to be very careful and not lose any profit towards the organization . I enjoyed everything about the job though. I mostly improved on my communication skills witch is very important to me.
Had some good moments but poor planning
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 December 2016
There was not a lot of planning involved with getting the store ready and ended up with no communications about important problems many times, first manager was friendly but was left just as stranded as the rest of us
Comfortable & Fun Establishment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON27 November 2016
This place of employment was excellent, with compassionate staff and a comfortable vibe I was able to work to my fullest potential. I also enjoyed the shifts I was given.
Pros
good hours, caring staff, clean
Cons
location
Disorganized and unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON (Bath and Queen Mary Road)23 November 2016
Hired without interview, reference, criminal record check! No training! Extremely disorganized and dirty. High turnover of staff. Unwelcoming atmosphere.
Pros
It was some money coming in and I gained experience.
Cons
Unprofessional, disorganized, dirty, poor hiring and training practices
productive
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 November 2016
work
learned new stuff
management is good
friendly co-workers
hardest part is picking getting your numbers
most enjoyable part seeing friends at work
Pros
free food sometimes n bonus
Cons
no benifits onless you get hired
It's alright
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2016
I learnt how to run a store without management being there. Training cashiers, handling cash, helping customers, dealing with complaints. Receiving products ex coke cola, old Dutch, submitting payroll, making up the schedule.
great...
Stocking, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK13 November 2016
working at dollar tree was great because of the fact the manager was awesome, the pay was great, and also everyone was friendly, working at dollar tree i got taught things i didnt know about like how to do pay roll and also the co workers were very helpful, the hardest part of the job was losing the job by relocating for school
Good job
Organizer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON6 November 2016
It allows you to gain knowledge of the buissness world and teaches you how to see the people you serve as more then just another thing to get over with during the day
Pros
Great co workers
good experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
my job atmosphere is very nice i like to work with my co worker. all are nicely people behaviour. every thing are good. i do freely work no stress their.
Pros
lots actives
good
I enjoyed working in all the dollar stores
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 November 2016
i was able to meet new people every day and regular customers who kpet coming back to visit us.

And also getting to know where everything is in the store i was able to help customers with their needs.

dollar stores are a good place to work.
Pros
able to keep busy at all times
Cons
when store isn't open long enough, but once we were closed for the day i looked forward to coming back the next day
Cashier-Positive experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 October 2016
Dollar tree was a great working environment. I got along very well with my manager, who was very helpful whenever I needed it. There were many customers who were fairly difficult to deal with, as well as unusually difficult responsibilities, but my manager was always right there to help resolve any issues I had. The only major drawback was monthly payroll, rather than bi-weekly.
Pros
Exceptional management, Fair hours
Cons
Monthly Payroll, Difficult customer base
Retail Enviroment
Full Time Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON27 October 2016
This is a typical Retail environment, run by a large Corporate company from the USA. Nothing bad to say about them, the staff is what makes it worth working there.
Pros
Small Store - friendly Staff
Cons
Shift work

2.7