Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast paced Work
Cashier (Former Employee), Stoney Creek, ONOctober 21, 2015
Pros: Paid breaks, nice customers, good hours
Cons: Slow at Times, manager confilcts, company policies
Cashier job with simple tasks and friendly customers.
I worked at the cash register and performed appointed duties between customers, which had to be completed before the end of my shift. Those duties often included cleaning aisles, sweeping, cleaning the windows, filling balloons, organizing and returning things out of place. Completing all the tasks can sometimes prove difficult at times because of how busy it can get, and when there is lots of customers you must stay close to the register. Never really more than one cashier to help take the load off. Fast paced during the day and holidays.
Schedules are posted only 1 week in advance, so its hard to make plans around your work schedule, as any days off must be requested 2 weeks prior. No electronic schedule posting, one must check the posting while at work, and they don't like you calling in to ask about your hours. Also, when you call in sick you must find your own replacement for your shift.
My co workers were nice and were a good team, always willing to work together and share the workload. The managers can be hard to work with as they tend to have little patience and are not very approachable.Very picky about policy though they don't always follow it themselves.
Overall it was an easy job if you need the money, the only things that were a downside were the managers and some of the company policies were ridiculous.
A stress free workplace with great people to share it with.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Saskatoon, SKApril 23, 2013
Pros: it's a really easy job and the people are really nice and i enjoy being around them.
Cons: easy can get boring and i don't get many hours but i would love to have full time.
I usually start off working the till and when I'm not busy I find something to clean or restock. Towards the end of my shift I sometimes do some recovery, which is putting things back on the shelves where they belong and cleaning up the aisles. I have learned how to use a more advanced cash register than I'm used to, which is a lot easier than i thought it would be. My supervisor, who is the store manager is really friendly and helpful. All of my co-workers are great and they always help me out if I need something since I haven't been working there for long. The hardest part of the job would be doing recovery because I don't know the store very well yet so i don't know where everything goes. The most enjoyable part of the job would be when a customer comes to the till when I'm working the cash register and I have a good conversation with them and it brightens my day a little and i hope it does the same to theirs.
Overall, the staff was plesant. The experience was nice.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONJuly 29, 2013
Cons: little to no hours
A typical day on the job involved organizing, refilling stock, helping customers, and communication with the other staff members. While recovering the store, I learned that I would never leave another item out of its place, anywhere, ever again. I now know how it feels to have to be that person, to pick it up. The management needed work. There were members of management that I do not believe should have had the title given. I believe it might have went to their heads. As they were lazy, and when in charge, and did little to nothing, even when the store was very busy. The co workers in general were wonderful. Very small group of 11. I was impressed at the fact that everyone got along. It was nice to be somewhere, that no one was putting others in awkward positions, by speaking rude about another person who was not present. There wasn't really a part of the job that was difficult. It was pretty straight forward. The part of the job I enjoyed the most was being around people, and also the staff. They are good people
An alright area, but very unorganized
Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABAugust 5, 2015
Pros: No pros to list
Cons: Long shifts, you only get a 30 minute break if you work longer than 5 hours, 10 minute breaks otherwise
I learned how to use the cash register accordingly, how to count the money from my till at the end of the day, and how to do stock. My hours, and the days I worked, were usually scattered around the week, despite the times and hours in which I put in so that it could work around my schedule. The management team is OK, nothing too special. My co-workers were fantastic, a jolly group of people that I could rely on. The hardest part of work that I would say, was having to mop and sweep the entire store with only 2 hours to spare. ON TOP of having to watch the register sometimes. Please note that none of this was electric. But the most enjoyable part, was the 10 minute breaks. Just getting to relax. Other than that, I hate it there.
A good place to work and it is much busier than I expected. Each day is different and I like that.
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Tillsonburg, ONJuly 22, 2013
Cons: no employee benefits
No day is typical at The Dollar Tree, as it is always something different and you meet all kinds of people. There is room for advancement if you want it. I have learned from working at The Dollar Tree that hard work doesn't always pay off when there is little cliques in the work place. The best part of my job is some of the people I work with and many of the customers, make my day and I enjoy that part of it very much. The hardest part of my job, is that it is a struggle every day to get everything accomplished that head office expects with a small amount of employee hours. There is constant changes being done throughout the store daily and that makes some days more difficult but it also makes it challenging.
not the greatest place I have worked.
Cashier (Former Employee), Spruce Grove, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Pros: no pros
Cons: everything
The main reason Dollar Tree wasn't the greatest place I've worked is because she could only pay me $10.25. which compared to minimum wage in Alberta right now is decent, but to be living on your own its not such a great salary to be getting.
another reason Dollar Tree wasn't great is because one of the assistant managers would ALWAYS lie to and suck up to the boss. FOR EXAMPLE: I was sick one day and if I wasn't and didn't have to work I woulve been going to a friends house. instead of telling the boss that, she had told the boss that instead of going to work I was going to my friends house. My boss then phones me and tells me what the assistant manager has said and gives me the option to quit or get fired, when she didn't listen to THE TRUTH... my advice is DONT WORK AT DOLLAR TREE!!!
My Day At Work.
shipping receiving, Stock person (Current Employee), Peterborough, ONJanuary 25, 2016
Pros: 2 10 mins breaks plus 1 half hour lunch. good staff, good paying job
Cons: overwhelming with orders of custmoers requests
Start off signing in and begin getting removing cardboard to the bin. I have to get a Till to start for cashier job. If I do not have a Till I go to My manager and or supervisor to ask what needs to be done. Stock shelf and well tidy for customers appeal. maintain every item will or will not go on to the public display. Keeping customers update information of dollar tree products so they can keep track of our orders. To fill out orders when shipment arrives. To make sure the store close with the proper amount and to close the store without further adue.
the dollar tree was a fun and preductivie place to work
Cashier - stock (Former Employee), chilliwack,bcJanuary 17, 2014
i enjoyed working fior the dollar tree company, a typical work day at the dollar tree for me was stocking, cleaning & mop\sweping and taking care of costomers at the front till. i always made sure all my tasks were done by the end of my shift. my boss was a very nice lady butwas hard to work with sometimes, but i never let the affect my work ethic. i liked the pepole i worked with they all where nice and easy to get along with, so theirs not much i didnt like about the job,the haredset thing was when i had too quit because my babysitter had to leave because she was moving. i thank you for your time and i hope you accept me for the job opening

thx
annie
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Stalker (Current Employee), London, ONJune 8, 2015
A typical day at Dollar Tree consists of working with great people on a daily basis, all my co-workers are extremely friendly and are great people to work with along with the managers and boss. I have learned to work well with others, increase my ability to work with money, and product as well with getting along with the customers. I have to say that there are really no hard parts of this job except for the hours they aren't very good but they are better then nothing, the most enjoyable part of working at Dollar Tree is the people I get to work with everyday and having wonderful costumers come in with a positive attitude and outlook on our store.
Senior Management
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Kingston, ONApril 1, 2014
I enjoyed the customer service aspect of this job and making sure the store ran smoothly. My employees were top notch, and had no trouble following instructions.
My only complaint with the company was the lack of direction from senior management. We were given a booklet when hired that explained the rules and how the company was run. Senior management, that came in once a month, was always changing the rules or saying that they were not important.
I followed the way the company wanted things done as this is how I was trained and to me, customer service was key.
I always made sure the customer was happy and the bottom line was followed.
Productive, Friendly and comfortable
Cashier/Key holder (Former Employee), Winnipeg, ManitobaAugust 14, 2013
Pros: free snacks
Cons: counting tills, they used an older program for such
Working at Dollar Tree was very fast paced and quick, which is exactly why i enjoyed it so much, i love being taught new things and being put on my feet to complete the task which i have learned right away once i got it under my belt. Dollar Trees management had a very close yet professional relationship with us employees which made work a friendlier more secure comfortable place to be, i recommend people who are very outgoing to go there and apply because you speak with the public everyday and you learn new things with the help of great people .
Customer Service !!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Penticton, BCMarch 4, 2015
Pros: interacting with customers and making it a fun enviroment for all
working for Dollar Tree was also a fun environment. worked with great staff...we all got along well....when things needed to be done we worked as a group to accomplish the tasks before deadlines. working as a service rep I was out on the floor stocking shelves and able to help customer with their needs. Communicating with customers was always fun....stories were told.. laughter and making the customer the number one priority when they walked into the store. at times we had dress up days...which always made it fun for staff and customers!!!
everchanging place to work, new product coming in, different customers everyday
June 2010-Sept 2010 (Current Employee), Barrie, ONJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: full time mon to fri days
Cons: not enough hours to accomplish everything
upon arriving at work, you turn on the lights and a whole new day of possibilities begins. Truck day leads to a physical workout followed by a mental/physical workout merchandising the stock.Team work is required to be productive and meet all our goals. Seeing what you have accomplished by the end of the day whether it be a new layout or just filling empty shelves you know that your work has contributed to the profits of the store and company.
productive and fun to work with
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, BCJuly 27, 2015
Pros: 30 minute break
I worked opening shifts and closing shifts..I was the main cashier and mostly the only cashier open unless it gets really busy then I'd have to page my co-worker. The hardest part of the job is when people would buy so many things and I'd had to scan it and put it in the bag myself. Especially when they bought something fragile so I'd have to wrap it up in a news paper. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I met a lot of people cause Im the cashier and they'd tell me how their day was and how'd they compliment me about my name and all that. The management were good.
Friendly Work Place and Environment
Assistant Manager/Key Holder (Current Employee), Toronto, OntMay 29, 2014
Pros: great employees and environment. nice customers.
Cons: not enough hours and low pay wages.
Working at Dollar Tree Canada is great. In a typical day there is usually always plenty work to do, which is great. The co-workers are great people and easy to get along with. Because the store is located within a plaza, there is a large traffic flow of customer's which is great because it is nice to get to interact with different people. Management is great within my specific store. The job is not very difficult so long as the employee understands their role.
Fun place of work with good co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Orangeville, On.April 21, 2015
Pros: Fun place to work
Cons: To many tasks put onto one person at a time
A typical day at work is usually kind of slow. The store is located in a small town so the only time we are super busy is during the holidays and weekends. I learned plenty about shipments and how to properly merchandise. My co-workers were great and they still love when I come into the store to visit. The hardest part of my job was trying to get the most amount of product out in a shift but also being a cashier at the same time. The most enjoyable part of my job was again, working with my co-workers.
It was the worst work experience I've ever had.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Kitchener, ONJuly 18, 2014
Pros: non.
Cons: 4 hours a week!
The manager was very rude and always threatened her staff with the word "fire", she was never around when you needed her, she picked favourites, she never gives people shifts, if she did, they'll either be 4 hour shifts a week or 30 hour shifts a week, it just depends on whether she liked you or not. Her staff barely last a month because she either fires them for the smallest reasons or they just quit because they cannot handle her management anymore. Working there has been the worst experience of my life!
horrible place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 4, 2015
Pros: good first job
Cons: short shifts, no extra hours, no advancement
the job honestly is horrible there is no room for advancement and no matter how much the company grows all they want to do is take. I went from getting 40 hours a week to 9... not because of poor work either this is happening to 90% of the employees. Dollar Trees ideal work day is only 4hrs and 45mins they want to keep the pay low and make sure to never work an employee over 8hrs because god forbid if they have to pay overtime. Management is no help and definitely does pick favorites.
Exciting , fast growing Dollar Store chain
Consumables Buyer (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONJanuary 6, 2014
Pros: exciting merchandising opportunity, enjoyed interaction with dozens of vendors, merchandising at 100mph !!, satisfying double-digit growth results .
Cons: cumbersome arcane management and information systems, difficult commute, culture of job insecurity
Fast paced marketing experience encumbered by arcane Management and Information Systems . Long but rewarding hours were compounded by difficult commute . Enjoyable co-workers dampened by culture of insecurity due to take-over by U.S. corporation .
Great work environment and fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Kingston, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Pros: great co workers, and managers
Cons: Theft
Dollar Tree is a place to work, the manager was able to work well with my work schedule and school schedule and when I got pregnant I had to cut down my hours and my manager was again able to work with me and my schedule. The work environment was a fun safe and enjoyable place to work. The people I worked with were great people to work with. The hardest part of the job is the theft as we are a dollar store and being near a high school there was a lot of theft and we can only do so much.
Headquarters