Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

My Work Day
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 February 2017
My typical day at work is come in 10 minutes early and start fixing up the store before we open the doors and then we count the cashes and sign in and what i learn from this job is being able to help my customers out and make sure he are looked after at the cash.The hardest part of the job is working with the employees and me having to do extra work because they don't do it right. The most enjoyable part of the job is having the time to talk to the custmers and ask how there day is putting a smile on there face when they come to the cash.
Had problems with manager
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Drayton Valley, AB6 February 2017
only worked there for three weeks due to difficulty with reading the schedule causing me to miss too many days. The schedule was not set up in an easily legible way. When I would ask for help from my manager, she would refuse to help, and just watch me struggle or walk away. The customers were more helpful than my manager. Other than that, I quite enjoyed it, as it was not difficult work. While there were no customers waiting to pay, I would be organising shelves, sweeping, returning items to proper section, etc.
a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON16 January 2017
I wanted to try a new career change and thought I might be interested going into the retail business.
I enjoyed working as a team and with a diverse clientele. I also really liked that everything in the store was the same price, this really excited the merchants.
Working the cash was a challenge as I had never done it before but the Dollar Tree believed in me and hired me without the experience.
The training went very well. I enjoyed my employment there.
I am a very friendly person and loved working with the clientele.
Cons
short breaks
Part time Keyholder
Key Holder (Former Employee) –  East York, ON1 January 2017
This was my first job as a student and it has taught me quite a bit. To start off it shows how the world of retail functions and also the basics of hierarchy. Managers are treated like absolute trachand so are the employees. No matter how busy or big the size of the store there will only be a cashier and a manager to run the store which is pathetic. My years of working there we were not allowed to exit the store for our breaks and had to work at time on our breaks. I could go on and on about the downsides of working here. If anyone is looking to apply here for work make sure that you do not get enticed into a managerial position as you will learn the downside the hard way.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Too many to list
Dollar Tree Experience is Awesome
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON6 December 2016
A typical day at work is very calm and also fast past during times of the day. Every employee is friendly and no one discriminate against each other. The management is very productive and precise that there was never a problem, Customers love the Dollar Tree environment. The hardest part of the job would be having to count large sums of money to be deposit in the bank, I had to be very careful and not lose any profit towards the organization . I enjoyed everything about the job though. I mostly improved on my communication skills witch is very important to me.
Comfortable Workplace; Not the Most Secure
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Thomas, ON20 January 2017
I personally have had a mostly good overall experience at this company. I learned how to comfortably work with money, as well as how to correctly deal with costumers. I do suggest the company invest in security alarms and cameras, since having a lack of security reinforcement does make is a soft target for possible theft.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not the safest
Cashier-Positive experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON31 October 2016
Dollar tree was a great working environment. I got along very well with my manager, who was very helpful whenever I needed it. There were many customers who were fairly difficult to deal with, as well as unusually difficult responsibilities, but my manager was always right there to help resolve any issues I had. The only major drawback was monthly payroll, rather than bi-weekly.
Pros
Exceptional management, Fair hours
Cons
Monthly Payroll, Difficult customer base
Workplace Summary
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK23 October 2016
I currently work at DollarTree and it is a great place, I am currently working a part-time job and looking for full time. The people I work with are great. They are very understanding and fun to be around. I love meeting new people and being a cashier is a great way to be able to give people the service they need. I can provide them with information that they need regarding anything in the store. The hardest part of the job is dealing with thieves. You need to approach them in a very professional manner. The best part of my job being able to meet new people daily.
I enjoyed working in all the dollar stores
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC2 November 2016
i was able to meet new people every day and regular customers who kpet coming back to visit us.

And also getting to know where everything is in the store i was able to help customers with their needs.

dollar stores are a good place to work.
Pros
able to keep busy at all times
Cons
when store isn't open long enough, but once we were closed for the day i looked forward to coming back the next day
Great Work Experience
Cashier and Stock (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2016
Working at Dollar Tree gave me great working experience. As a former employee there I would rate the overall experience five stars. Working there gave me multiple experiences for example cashier and stock, I also had experience with working with complicated situations dealing with the costumer and I was able to sort everything out. This job prepared me for future jobs and how to deal with future issues.
Pros
co-workers were very friendly
Cons
had to stay after hours to organize money
Upper Management Terrorizes Employees.
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC8 October 2016
The upper management of this company terrorizes managers and associates alike. Company policies are non-nonsensical, and the people running the company appear to have little-to-no sense of what works on the floor when dealing with customers and with daily tasks. I would not recommend this company to anyone looking for a job.
Pros
Flexible hours.
Cons
Management.
great...
Stocking, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yorkton, SK13 November 2016
working at dollar tree was great because of the fact the manager was awesome, the pay was great, and also everyone was friendly, working at dollar tree i got taught things i didnt know about like how to do pay roll and also the co workers were very helpful, the hardest part of the job was losing the job by relocating for school
Easy going workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC23 September 2016
Work at this location was the same for everyone. To work as a cashier to asked to clean the store. Both tasks are simple and are done by all workers. Cleaning the store is not difficult, only tedious as merchandise is frequently misplaced.
My only comment is this workplace consists of many customers will wish to argue or insult you or hit on you. For my specific location this happened on a daily basis.
Fun to work and great friendly co-workers
Associate (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON5 February 2017
I really enjoyed my time at Dollar Tree. I wish I could continue to work with them

The day would start walking to the bank before opening to deposit the previous days earnings. Then the day would start slow and pick up every couple hours then slow back down.
Disorganized and unprofessional
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON (Bath and Queen Mary Road)23 November 2016
Hired without interview, reference, criminal record check! No training! Extremely disorganized and dirty. High turnover of staff. Unwelcoming atmosphere.
Pros
It was some money coming in and I gained experience.
Cons
Unprofessional, disorganized, dirty, poor hiring and training practices
very ffriendly and fun place to work, everyone helps each other
Cashier/Stocker (Current Employee) –  London, ON27 January 2017
working at Dollartree has helped me to develop my skills with people and how to be more productive with my time .
Each day is a new experience and the workers there are very close knit family type of atmosphere which makes for a good time at your work area. Some of the customers can be very demanding so patience has helped to get thru solving problems each day. The staff there have a good knowledge of the products and the sales of each day...The Manager @ Argyle Mall in London, Ontario, is very knowledgeable of sales and customer service....her name is Mary Antille and she has been with Argyle store since 2014, and working with her , we have seen the shrinkage dropped considerably, and sales has been above normal at times.
My view of Dollartree is that it is very good store to work at and good store to shop at.
Pros
very friendly and knowledgeable of products and sales
Cons
it can be long hours if they get them to work product, get to floor for sell
Fun work place, very freindly staff.
Assistant Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Squamish, BC4 October 2016
The dollar tree was great work experience, I learned a lot in the time I worked there, my co-workers were a bit slower than me but that would be because I was the youngest one there! In a typical day I would open the store in the morning, than stock shelves and watch cash if the cashier went on there break.
Disrespectful to staff and all customers.
Main cashier (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB30 August 2016
Fellow cashiers we're wonderful to work with, we all treated each other like family. HOWEVER managers continuously disrespect their staff AND the customers. Managers would make their staff feel bad about themselves and their work being done. I have never worked at a place that made me feel so worthless.
Pros
Fellow cashiers we're always friendly.
Cons
managers we're very rude to staff and customers.
Had some good moments but poor planning
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 December 2016
There was not a lot of planning involved with getting the store ready and ended up with no communications about important problems many times, first manager was friendly but was left just as stranded as the rest of us
i enjoyed working at dollar tree but management wasn't great
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB12 January 2017
the management wasn't great , but i enjoy the job and coworkers overall clean store. part time hours was always something to do. was busy sometimes nice flow during the day

2.7