Dollar Giant Employee Reviews in Canada

Enjoyed going to work every day!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina SaskDecember 11, 2015
A typical day would start at 8.30, just before the store opened at 9.00 a.m. I started with setting up the cash registers, cash count, staff meeting every morning, giving different position out to staff. Stocking shelves, Placing orders from many different venues. Customer service, Cleaning, doing the put backs. Cash deposits at night. Opened and closed store depending on what shift I was working.
I was hired before the store open as set up person which lead me to store manager. This I enjoyed very much.
Pros
Running the store
enjoyment
Cashier, sales, stock shelves, customer service (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ONNovember 5, 2015
I enjoyed working there stocking shelves and helping people. The people I worked with were nice. Looked forward to going into work.
Enjoyable Work Experience
Full-Time / Part-Time (Current Employee) –  ChilliwackJanuary 19, 2013
I've worked at Dollar Giant in Chilliwack (Vedder Rd. location) as a part time / full time employee for close to two years now and I have very few complaints about the job. Management is generally very easy to get along with and responsive when you have an issue. All co-workers have generally been easy to get along with although minor drama has arisen on occasion. All employees perform a number of tasks, there are no specific job titles below management / key holders, everyone is a cashier, everyone stocks, and everyone cleans. Hours for anyone under management / key holder positions are generally quite low. New employees can expect below 20 hours a week. There are no employee benefits or discounts. The work itself is generally very easy but quite fast paced in the afternoon, evening shifts are usually very laid back. Booking days off in advance is almost never an issue and management has always been lenient with accommodating to your schedule.
Pros
very cooperative staff.
Cons
minimum wage / no benefits or discount
Good company to learn retail in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Surrey BCSeptember 9, 2013
Constantly on the go from the time you arrive until the end of a shift. Learned about ordering and shipping of stock while working side by side with managers. Every co-worker had their designated work load that they did to their best ability. Hardest part for this company was to complete the work load with minimal time allotted if there was a staff shortage. Working along side with enjoyable people and helping the customers find what they needed to put a smile on their faces was rewarding.
Pros
the ability to learn about shipping and receiving.
Cons
long hrs on a small salary.
It was alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 20, 2013
A typical day at work would include coming into the store, signing in, getting into work clothes, getting cash tray, going to till and doing cashier work. I learned more customer service skills. The management team were great people, my co-workers were alson nice. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do much when someone was stealing other than confront them that I knew. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the happy customers.
very enjoyable workplace, liked the people i worked with and the atmosphere
Cashier (Former Employee) –  prince georgeMarch 10, 2015
typical day at work consisted of me running the till, greeting customers, unloading stock, straightening and filling shelves.
I learned patience, and good people skills. Learned to be a team player.
Pros
loved the cliental, enjoyed my job, liked my team mates
Cons
grumpy people
cleaning,organization
Stock person (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2013
i would stack and price itmes all over the store. i learned many things like presentation, cleaning, organization, my manager and co-workers i got along with very well, This was and easy job even to easy i had no hard part in this job but i really enjoyed talking with all the customers and people and really loved to clean
Pros
close to my house
Cons
to much spare time, long hours, bad pay
Renovation Employee (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJuly 30, 2014
Easy going management, encouraging co-workers. On your feet all day but easy work that can be hard
Pros
fun co-workers
Cons
on your feet all day
loving place hard workers
key holder (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJuly 3, 2013
work was fun the people was great
management was good but could be better
my co-workers where all nice
i love closing
it was an easy job
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 5, 2013
Poor management, not a team oriented environment, horrible at accommodating hours with regards to family emergencies.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford BCOctober 16, 2012
I learned to be a store manager,,,, the managers where always there to help,,, co-workers where fun and ery easy to get along with..the hardest part of the job was recieving and ordering,,the enjoyable part of the job was when your work inviroment is happy and fun...
Pros
working with gret staff
Cons
work double shifts
great work environment
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONSeptember 7, 2012
After Working here i had learned a lot i met a lot of nice people and the job was very easy but i had also worked in another dollar store so it wasn't much change. the manager was really nice he allowed you to actually have fun on the job and not just strictly make it work work work.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
slow paced
4/5 Stars.
Item Stocker (Former Employee) –  British Columbia, Surrey BCJanuary 13, 2014
The people were nice to me although I could have done better if I didn't had health issues. I stocked Items talked to customers as best as I can. I got along well with everyone and they said I did a good job.
this job is ok
Cashier (Former Employee) –  hamiltonMay 25, 2013
This job is ok if you have no other choices out there at all. I mean, a paper route would be more rewarding and less stressfull
Pros
there are none
Cons
too many to list
Productive,
sales associate (Former Employee) –  abbotsford bcFebruary 7, 2012
company was well worked, lots of fun, great staff, everyone got along,
Pros
great staff
Cons
short breaks
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dollar Giant, Calgary TrailSeptember 8, 2012
If you're a cashier your typical day at work would be greeting customers as they walk through the door, answer any questions they have and clean up the till area for any random objects that aren't supposed to be there. You ring in the customer's items and wish them a great day.

If you're a key holder you would mainly be stocking the shelves and keeping an eye on the cashiers in case they need an extra hand on till. You clean the store and help the cashiers and count the money at the end of the day; as well as opening the store in the morning.

I've gained a lot of patience with the customers and learned to have great customer service skills.

The store manager is a blast to be with, she doesn't treat you like a number, she laughs and works just as hard as she expects you to work. Friendly environment, she's definitely one of the perks of working at the Dollar Giant.

Of course just like in every job there are people who you like and people who don't like at all. But you just have to mind your own business and remember why you are there. (The money!)

The hardest part of the job is towards the end of the night when you have to close but some customers just do not listen and keep shopping, and when you do you have to sweep and mop the entire store. And it's a big store.

The pros of this job is that you do get to work with some great people, you are always somehow laughing away with either your co-workers or the customers.

I'd give this place 3.5/5
Pros
manager, co-workers, customers
Cons
head office doesn't allow music, it's much harder working in a store where you can't dance a little!