Dollar Giant

Dollar Giant Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
4/5 Stars.
Item Stocker (Former Employee), British Columbia, Surrey BCJanuary 13, 2014
The people were nice to me although I could have done better if I didn't had health issues. I stocked Items talked to customers as best as I can. I got along well with everyone and they said I did a good job.
Good company to learn retail in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Surrey BCSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: the ability to learn about shipping and receiving.
Cons: long hrs on a small salary.
Constantly on the go from the time you arrive until the end of a shift. Learned about ordering and shipping of stock while working side by side with managers. Every co-worker had their designated work load that they did to their best ability. Hardest part for this company was to complete the work load with minimal time allotted if there was a staff – more... shortage. Working along side with enjoyable people and helping the customers find what they needed to put a smile on their faces was rewarding. – less
loving place hard workers
key holder (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONJuly 3, 2013
work was fun the people was great
management was good but could be better
my co-workers where all nice
i love closing
it was an easy job
It was alright
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJune 20, 2013
A typical day at work would include coming into the store, signing in, getting into work clothes, getting cash tray, going to till and doing cashier work. I learned more customer service skills. The management team were great people, my co-workers were alson nice. The hardest part of the job was not being able to do much when someone was stealing other – more... than confront them that I knew. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the happy customers. – less
ever changing dynamics
Store Manager (Former Employee), Prince George, BCMarch 12, 2013
very fast paced, lots of work to be done everyday, forever changing planograms.
Loved my job but took it to heart too much and had lots to learn about switching over to Dollar Tree Canada when my brain was stuck as Dollar Giant ways.....always pushing management to their limits...hense giving my notice after 4 years.....would I go back?
Absolutely after – more... having a year break from the caos...haha – less
Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 5, 2013
Poor management, not a team oriented environment, horrible at accommodating hours with regards to family emergencies.
cleaning,organization
Stock person (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCJanuary 29, 2013
Pros: close to my house
Cons: to much spare time, long hours, bad pay
i would stack and price itmes all over the store. i learned many things like presentation, cleaning, organization, my manager and co-workers i got along with very well, This was and easy job even to easy i had no hard part in this job but i really enjoyed talking with all the customers and people and really loved to clean
Enjoyable Work Experience
Full-Time / Part-Time (Current Employee), ChilliwackJanuary 19, 2013
Pros: very cooperative staff.
Cons: minimum wage / no benefits or discount
I've worked at Dollar Giant in Chilliwack (Vedder Rd. location) as a part time / full time employee for close to two years now and I have very few complaints about the job. Management is generally very easy to get along with and responsive when you have an issue. All co-workers have generally been easy to get along with although minor drama has arisen – more... on occasion. All employees perform a number of tasks, there are no specific job titles below management / key holders, everyone is a cashier, everyone stocks, and everyone cleans. Hours for anyone under management / key holder positions are generally quite low. New employees can expect below 20 hours a week. There are no employee benefits or discounts. The work itself is generally very easy but quite fast paced in the afternoon, evening shifts are usually very laid back. Booking days off in advance is almost never an issue and management has always been lenient with accommodating to your schedule. – less
Store Manager (Former Employee), Abbotsford BCOctober 16, 2012
Pros: working with gret staff
Cons: work double shifts
I learned to be a store manager,,,, the managers where always there to help,,, co-workers where fun and ery easy to get along with..the hardest part of the job was recieving and ordering,,the enjoyable part of the job was when your work inviroment is happy and fun...
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Dollar Giant, Calgary TrailSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: manager, co-workers, customers
Cons: head office doesn't allow music, it's much harder working in a store where you can't dance a little!
If you're a cashier your typical day at work would be greeting customers as they walk through the door, answer any questions they have and clean up the till area for any random objects that aren't supposed to be there. You ring in the customer's items and wish them a great day.

If you're a key holder you would mainly be stocking the shelves and keeping – more... an eye on the cashiers in case they need an extra hand on till. You clean the store and help the cashiers and count the money at the end of the day; as well as opening the store in the morning.

I've gained a lot of patience with the customers and learned to have great customer service skills.

The store manager is a blast to be with, she doesn't treat you like a number, she laughs and works just as hard as she expects you to work. Friendly environment, she's definitely one of the perks of working at the Dollar Giant.

Of course just like in every job there are people who you like and people who don't like at all. But you just have to mind your own business and remember why you are there. (The money!)

The hardest part of the job is towards the end of the night when you have to close but some customers just do not listen and keep shopping, and when you do you have to sweep and mop the entire store. And it's a big store.

The pros of this job is that you do get to work with some great people, you are always somehow laughing away with either your co-workers or the customers.

I'd give this place 3.5/5 – less
great work environment
Store Clerk (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONSeptember 7, 2012
Pros: paid breaks
Cons: slow paced
After Working here i had learned a lot i met a lot of nice people and the job was very easy but i had also worked in another dollar store so it wasn't much change. the manager was really nice he allowed you to actually have fun on the job and not just strictly make it work work work.
Productive,
sales associate (Former Employee), abbotsford bcFebruary 7, 2012
Pros: great staff
Cons: short breaks
company was well worked, lots of fun, great staff, everyone got along,