DND Employee Reviews

Mechanical
Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  CFB Esquimalt...Victoria26 November 2017
I had been with DND for an entire career. Great working conditions in general. Always the right tools for antiquated machinery. The culture of the employees are poor due to a union environment. Very poor management. Nepotism very high. A very closed mindset without growth. The hours were steady but advancement slow and poor. Actually a bully atmosphere. If you are focussed on an income only and pension without growth, this is the job for you.
Pros
Clean environment, pension, good wages
Cons
Stagnent growth, bullying, very repetitive without flexibility
Dnd
technicien de télécommunication (Current Employee) –  Bagotville15 November 2017
Très bon travail. Bonne opportunité d'apprndre tout en travaillant.
Pros
Formation et salaire
Cons
Déploiement
Productive, high traffic busy work environment.
Human Resources Administration (Current Employee) –  Bushell Park, SK17 October 2017
Just looking for some added adventure and change in my life in a dynamic and energetic work environment that involves movement and class and high energy in a positive and unique environment.
Pros
Very flexible, and great benefits and salary.
Cons
A little boring and dull at times.
Highly challenging, group concept, Leadership promoting and professional
Commandant at Canadian Forces school of SAR (Former Employee) –  Comox, BC30 September 2017
A typical day involved tending to the day to day issues involving 22 staff and a student throughput of over 700 students annually. I learned man management amongst a myriad of other things from contracts to procurement to budgets etc. Hardest part was dealing with outside agencies while trying to comply with Gov't of Canada procurement regulations. The most enjoyable was handing out scrolls to successful candidates.
Pros
Seeing my students progress beyond my school in their new roles at SAR Squadrons across Canada.
Cons
not many
Amazing opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself.
Pilot (Former Employee) –  Canada14 August 2017
Many hours in preparation for events that will hopefully never occur.

Amazing opportunity to guide the readiness of the nations forces.

Long hours but so very rewarding personally
Pros
Flying
Cons
Home life balance challenging at times
an exorcise in stupidity on a grand scale
Vehicle Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 August 2017
if you enjoy working for fools and idiots then the military is for you! the workplace is filled with those seeking a safe space and hiding from responsibilities. it is not the military i joined years ago
Excellant benefits
Administrative Assistant/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC21 July 2017
I had a very positive experience working for DND. The Federal Public Service has excellent benefits. The people are very diverse and the job was always a challenge, but in a positive way.
infantry
Army (Former Employee) –  Wainwright, AB2 June 2017
3 year basic training, there is nothing else I can add to this. These reviews do not take into account anything about the job you are asking us to comment on
Busy Environment
Executive Assistant to the Commanding Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 May 2017
Overall a good place to work. Staff was very welcoming and well led by competent leaders. A very structured environment but still a positive place to work
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Phoenix pay system issues
too much supervision
Electrical Technician (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 May 2017
We were given a job to do (sometimes with time limits) and you did the work required. There were about 2 managers for each employee. The coworkers for the most part were great to work with.
Pros
most of the time there were good work conditions.
Cons
too many bosses
Great Experience
Chief Clerk (Current Employee) –  Various1 March 2017
Wired in the Canadian Armed Forces for 27 plus years. Worked as infantry and in administrative roles within DND. I would Highly recommend a career in the CF.
Was good until Injured
Aircraft Technician (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 December 2016
If you are able to perform your job and not get injured then you may have a great experience.

After my injury from an overseas mission, I lacked the support and assistance needed to recover properly and was cast aside. I was no longer eligible for promotions, the communication in the military is very broken.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Poor Management skills
Canadian Armed Forces
Construction Engineer Superintendent (CE SUPT) (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON6 November 2016
A typical day at work: This would normally start off with one hour of physical fitness (PT) starting at 0730 hrs. After PT I would log onto my work station and check for new emails/unit announcements regarding meetings or future training (Trg)/events, such as upcoming courses, deployment opportunities,and our mandatory weekly 5 minute safety talks. I also regularly attend weekly Operations/Training and Project Management meetings.
I am the 15 squadron training, non commissioned officer (15 Sqn, Trg/NCO). I am overall responsible within 15 squadron to maintain/update our database on our members (30 people) annual qualifications. I ensure the members receive their scheduled Trg to maintain operational effectiveness for deployments domestically and internationally.
Pros
Medical/dental benefits
Cons
Frequent time spent away from home for long duration's.
No Life Like It!
Medical Technician and Fire Fighter Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS26 October 2016
Honestly a face to face discussion during an interview process would be a better way to handle this form of questioning. So much in 26 years in the CF
Pros
Serve your country
Cons
High level of integrity and very productive
Construction Engineer Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
CF has all kind of different engineer work. In the area of Civil Engineering the CF has construction/maintenance of buildings, roads, culverts, bridges, waste treatment plant, water treatment plant. CF provides engineering services outside of Canada as well. The CF is an excellent place to work.
Pros
Great place to learn.
Cons
Great working in the army
00166 (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS17 August 2016
Great work, rewarding, good pay, and benefits, and the opportunity for travel is good. Reserves is a decent job, and full time service is better, but you're forced to move when necessary.
A challenging, but rewarding work environment with a close-knit community.
Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Borden, ON, Edmonton, AB, Victoria,BC28 July 2016
A fast-paced work environment, always doing something new each day. Time appreciation, attention to detail, reliability and working well with others are just a few skills you'll will learn. The people are what make the job and you will meet many in you're career. Many of the management positions are held by people who started from the bottom and worked their way up. The hardest part of the job is being away from family on training exercises, deployments (both domestic and overseas), and taskings to other bases across Canada. The most enjoyable parts are the travelling and the many new experiences you will encounter that you won't find anywhere else.
Pros
Paid vacations, benefits, job security, promotions.
Cons
High-stress, away from home frequently.
a good life experience
Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON20 July 2016
being in the military it gave me lots of different opportunities that many jobs would not be able to offer.
- I learned more about myself and how much i could push myself
- my co-workers were my family
Trained to Defend the Country
Gunner (Former Employee) –  Petawawa, ON9 July 2016
You never know what to expect each day
how to be a team member
respect the chain of command
being a proud, professional soldier
Pros
benefits and needs are met
Cons
it's a rough trade
Dnd-navy
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC17 April 2016
It is fun to travel and see different cities/countries but you are away from home/family a good portion of your career so you miss out on watching your kids grow up. Most people are fun to be around and you meet a lot of nice people. Depending on occupation the work experience it gives you is fantastic
Pros
see the work
Cons
gone from home alot