Discovery Academy Employee Reviews

High turnover rate
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT30 October 2017
Extremely low pay for the amount of work expected from employees. Hard to get upper management on your side. Risk to reward is very lopsided. Feel like you don’t have the higher ups on your side on anything. Always having to get overtime just to make ends meet. Upper management getting upset when you get overtime. They never take the staffs word for anything. Work for a dollar and get a penny and expected to be grateful. Open discrimination and racial profiling against certain ethnic backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible hours, great coworkers
Cons
Poor working conditions, poor upper management, poor pay, Poor benefits, lack of communication from upper management, high stress level.
Interesting job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT9 September 2017
This job is a very specific position that takes the right person. Discovery Academy is a boarding school for troubled teens. It takes a lot of patience and attention to detail.
The staff is great to work with.
Medical Assistance (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT27 July 2017
Too start the day off, I would go into work make sure that all the patient medication was set up and pass out to the correct patients. Make all medical appointments, take vials. work with families, and insurance providers. Taking care of patients daily needs.
I loved working with the patients, and staff.
Pros
Staff was the best part of this job.
Cons
Management.
Great kids
Lead Teacher (Former Employee) –  Papillion, NE31 May 2017
A great day working with kids in a small environment. The basic schedule is set and you are able to provide meaningful activity to help the child develop physically and intellectually.
Pros
Freedom to have fun with the children
Cons
employee relations can be hostile& no healthcare
Stressful and hard
Mentor for at risk teenagers (Supervisor) (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT2 May 2017
It was one of the hardest jobs I've ever had. It might have been bearable if my coworkers were reliable and helped, but they didn't. Also the company as a whole doesn't care about the mentors at all. We do all the hard work and they don't see it. It was a terrible experience for me. I will never work here again and will never recommed someone to work here either.
Assistant director (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV20 March 2017
Great place to work! Management is fair and caring! I have learned lost when it comes to business part of child care. its very enjoyable to wrokin an environment where people want to be and the owner leads be example... always smiling and positive. the whole day is happy and makes it easy to come to work. like all jobs there are times whe it can be difficult especially with childrfen involved.
Pros
flexible and kind environment
Cons
ne benefits
Great childcare discounts for employees
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NE29 September 2016
Daycare Preschool . Office Staff is helpful in assisting classroom. Preschool is curriculum based and on a daily schedule. Great reputation in the community .
Pros
Discount of Childcare
fun place to work with teens
Librarian/Student Teacher (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT19 May 2016
worked with the troubled teens.
helped them with their tests
made sure they weren't slacking off
my co workers were nice
the dean of the school was really awesome
Pros
great place to work
Cons
too much work load
Fun workplace and the kids were great.
Teacher Aide (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OH29 April 2016
I would go in every Wednesday from 8am-1pm. I learned a lot from working with these kids because the majority of them have some sort of behavioral issue. It was not only my first time being in a classroom but also my first time dealing with these kinds of behaviors and kids. I didn't necessarily have coworkers, it was just me and the teacher. The hardest part of the job was taking authority with the kids, but by the end of the year I was doing pretty well, it just took some time. The most enjoyable part of the jobs were the kids of course. I got really close with all of them and built some really strong relationships, I am hoping to go back next semester and follow them to 4th grade.
productive helpful easy to use
Front Desk/ Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV20 April 2016
I enjoy working here always great environment and just amazing team Maintain a clean, organized and pleasant appearance of receptionist area, assist teachers with any paperwork needed as well as assisting in the classrooms when needed, file student’s information and keep well organized in file cabinets. Perform the general office duties including the schedule of any tours to visit the school as well as faxing forms needed for student records. Collect tuition and collect any payments needed such as uniform fees and/ or lunch fees. Organize all the student files, teacher’s worksheets and employee’s files.

hardest part of the job is leaving
most enjoyable every morning as the children get to school excited to learn.
It's a challenging and fun environment, mentoring teenagers.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Provo, UT20 January 2016
I enjoy working the teenagers and seeing the change and progress from when they first arrive. I enjoy the weekend activities and just the caring environment. My co-workers are awesome and also make work fun and exciting. I would say the hardest part of my job is that not everyday goes smooth because of the stress that comes with being in a therapeutic setting. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students graduate and go back home with their family.
Pros
Fun activities, mentoring teenagers, and seeing the change.
Cons
Can sometimes be very stressful.
very fast paced child care enviroment, but enjoyed being busy.
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TX4 January 2016
overall was a great experience and enjoyed the people I worked with. I just wish it might have been a little more organized. Some days were great and running smooth and some days I felt like the whole place was about to fall apart.
Pros
awesome boss
Cons
short lunches
Great learning environment
Manager, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT10 December 2015
Discover Academy was a pleasure to work for. The clients came from all over the nation and all had different upbringings which was great to talk about but at times difficult when one client bumps heads with another due to different upbringings. I had the pleasure of managing the residential side and was able to work side by side with the therapists and school advisers. Each client had different needs and constant training were given to the staff to help them out in assisting the clients in their personal growth and development. The therapist were great. The activities were well thought out and prepared for. The advancement was limited until someone left the company or you stood out among the other employees. I kept training the staff to take my position to motivate them and leaders did prevail. The benefits were just the general. All in all, Discovery Academy was a fantastic company to work for at that time in my life.
Pros
Free Meals
Cons
No breaks
Great Place to Work
OWNER / DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NE1 December 2015
Discovery Academy is a great daycare with a successful established program . Great team work is this fun family like environment to work in.
Rewarding
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Teacher14 August 2015
Taught a half-day pre school program class of 10 children. The day was broke down into short increments of time in order to maintain the attention of young children. This job was rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
working with children, hours, doing what I love
Cons
childrens with behavior issues
productive workplace
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  chicago,il21 September 2014
Discovery Academy was a great energetic place to work. I was in charge of preparing menus as well as meals & encouraging children to try new foods. I've learned how to budget & maintain product cost. I worked very well with my co-workers. the hardest part of my job was leaving because I know the children will not get the diverse, nutritious meals they most likely don't get a home. the most enjoyable part is seeing kids enjoy food of all kinds And they encourage their parents to cook foods they otherwise wouldn't.
Pros
creating my own menu plan
Discovery Academy
Director of Students (Dean) (Former Employee) –  Lake Alfred, FL12 March 2014
First charter school I ever worked for and it was a great experience.
Productive and motivational work environment.
Supervisor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT5 February 2014
Discovery Academy was a wonderful work experience. I was able to aid in the rehabilitation of many wonderful students. As a supervisor I was also able to contribute to staff's growth towards successful interaction with students and fellow employees.
Pros
Company paid for activites out in the community, free lunches, being able to witness and contribute to students emotional and intellectual progress.
Cons
High stress environment
Great and amazing place to work
Supervisor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Provo, UT10 October 2013
•Modeling a positive lifestyle with students
•Facilitating experiential and enrichment opportunities
•Teaching pro-social values, social competencies, and healthy lifestyles
•Promoting positive identity development and appreciation
Pros
love the students
Cons
Everyday is so different
Love my job with this company
Supervisor/mentor (Former Employee) –  Provo Utah16 September 2013
great people to work with. Love how their able to change these teenagers life for the good.
Pros
excellent working environment