Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews in Canada

Survival job
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
It is good company to work , I love working with discount but you cant choose it as your career as there is no career oriented approach by the
Management.

It is a survival job for everyone who is working here. They give good 40 hours to work in a week.

Salary wise they just pay little above the basic,

Benefits are not bad.

Most fun part of job is that you ride new cars each day.

You interact with new customers everyday which enhances your customer service skills
Customer Service/Sales Representative
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  330 Steeles Ave WestJuly 15, 2016
Just like any other hospitality job, working at Discount required us to manage our time extremely well. Preparing the vehicle a day before the reserved date and time, cleaning cars, making sure all clients are written up on the agreement properly and doing auto insurance sales for all of our sources or rental. (retail, dealerships, bodyshops and insurance companies)
Pros
Great people to work with, new work experience and very interactive.
Cons
Long hours, lack of supply and poor management
Worst company to wok
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
Poor management. Always overbook and no cars. And they expect you to magic a car to give to their customers. No breaks most of the time and does not pay you for it even you mentioned you weren't able to take break. It is better to work in fast-food chains than here.
Pros
get to test drive different cars if available
Worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Terrible company. High employee turnover rate. Regularly overbooks, and expects their employees to deal with the fallout - i.e. grovel profusely to irate customers who were naturally expecting their reservations to be honoured - on a regular basis. Do not work here if you have any pride and/or shame.
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cons
Did not like most of the people I worked for. They did nothing to improve bad company policies.
Roles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
I would usually start 7:30 am have a team huddle and we would see how many cars we would need to have for all the reservations we have for the day. I would start assigning tasks to employees to complete by the end of their shifts. As a team we arrange picking up of cars if the location is short of cars which is sometimes difficult because as a company their are way to much reservations then cars. The best part of my job is that it was a fun environment and all my co-workers were wonderful people.
Pros
Getting to drive different car everyday
Cons
Fleet Management was poor
Fast paced enviroment
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Working with great people in a strong emphasis on teammwork. Helping customers and delivering vehicles to different locations. Resolving customer issues and meeting sales quotas
Pros
Free lunches on Friday
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, High stress.
Terribly managed
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 17, 2016
The Alberta province is terribly managed and in a downward spiral. I was not treated fairly by the Regional Director and did not have my concerns acknowledged.
Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance
Interesting workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
It was a different kind of environment to work in , very disorganized and confusing. I met some great individuals and enjoyed the christmas party.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Disorganized
Great
Washing and driving cars (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
Its a great environment with great people even though at some days it gets really stressful but other days its doing good. Learned how to handle new cars and how a car rental company works. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Good co-workers and free of stress
Cons
Lots of complaning
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Pros
open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons
Only minimum wage
Awful
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2015
crazy hours, minimal pay.. high stress. No cars to rent, constantly getting yelled at by customers and managers, low morale.
Nice to work with could be more better
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 2, 2015
The work starts very busy early in the morning, some times you will be end up doing cleaning work but still has never ending work.
Pros
good team
Cons
needmore management support and better pay

Comment – September 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear you felt you did not have enough support or pay in your role. We would truly appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have never had team members in Human Resources in Grand Prairie, and would still like to review your feedback. You can also contact Susan Ball, Director of Human Resources with your feedback or complete the online submission on our Carpro blog names "Speak Up" where you can leave your feedback confidentially. We look forward to hearing from you.

Very productive and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 17, 2015
Discount overall was a fun and a nice place to work at. We had a great team over there, where everyone would take the initiative
to help one another. we all just got along fine; it made going to work everyday that much easier.
Pros
Loved working with my co-workers and meeting new people everyday.
Cons
The pay wasn't that good.

Comment – September 8, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at DCTR!

Fun workplace, great staff, Poor wage
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 12, 2014
Discount is a great place to work and learn. However the Management is not very professional and the wage is not what I was told it would be. You don't make enough money for what your job entails. Also even though you are told that you will be off at 530, you actually don't leave until well after 6pm. I found that during the hiring process, they leave a lot of major details out, so be prepared for some major surprises when your first day comes.
All this said, however, the staff at the local branch is outstanding and a really awesome group of people to be around. And if you are able to get past the wage and inconsistencies between the interview/hiring process and the actual job, its a great place and a pretty awesome job.
I learned a lot about myself, gained a whole bunch of new skills, and possibly figured out where I want my career path to go.
Pros
driving brand new cars.
Cons
horrible wage
Enjoyed learning cr rental industry
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown PEJuly 27, 2012
Was an excellent fun job mostly dealing with tourist industry and insurance replacement auto segment of auto industry. Had a good co worker that made job enjoyable,the owner manager was open to business advancement and welcomed all suggestions,hardest part of job was understanding the owners reasons for always changing pay structure making bonuses unobtainable most months mad staff moral low. Enjoyed dealing with tourists as for most part were happy and cheerful went at rental counter
Pros
driving new car models each year
Cons
long hours in hot summer months
Productive experience in logistics management
District Manager (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 8, 2012
I was responsible for growing my territory and had successfully achieved targets. I trained employees and grew my territory sales by 130%.

Activites from business development, recruiting, and managing logistics. Brokering contracts with Insurance companies and delivering high level of customer service to both retail and corporate clients.
Pros
experienced high level management acitivities
Cons
lack of logistical support from head office.
Productive and Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONJune 10, 2013
Working at Discount is a great way to learn about new things. A lot of strategic management is involved in your day to day work. You learn to manage your time and resources very well. The people you are working with are your team. They help you in every way possible. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that all your commitments are met at the end of the day. If you have a promised someone a vehicle...get it to them. Meeting new people and coming across new situations is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Terrible place to work unless you are upper management
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 10, 2014
It is impossible to move up the chain. They promise you the world then make you jump through hoops for years before finally giving you a raise. It is stressful because they over-book people then make you deal with angry customers. The staff turnover is through the roof.
Pros
training is great
Cons
everything else
Very productive and excellent place to work.
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJanuary 1, 2015
I learned a lot working at Discount most of my management skills come from working here. Staff was excellent to work with. My day consisted of Managing my team, putting out rentals, everyday paperwork, damage files and customer service.

2.9