Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance
Roles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
I would usually start 7:30 am have a team huddle and we would see how many cars we would need to have for all the reservations we have for the day. I would start assigning tasks to employees to complete by the end of their shifts. As a team we arrange picking up of cars if the location is short of cars which is sometimes difficult because as a company their are way to much reservations then cars. The best part of my job is that it was a fun environment and all my co-workers were wonderful people.
Pros
Getting to drive different car everyday
Cons
Fleet Management was poor
Customer Service/Sales Representative
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  330 Steeles Ave WestJuly 15, 2016
Just like any other hospitality job, working at Discount required us to manage our time extremely well. Preparing the vehicle a day before the reserved date and time, cleaning cars, making sure all clients are written up on the agreement properly and doing auto insurance sales for all of our sources or rental. (retail, dealerships, bodyshops and insurance companies)
Pros
Great people to work with, new work experience and very interactive.
Cons
Long hours, lack of supply and poor management
Survival job
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
It is good company to work , I love working with discount but you cant choose it as your career as there is no career oriented approach by the
Management.

It is a survival job for everyone who is working here. They give good 40 hours to work in a week.

Salary wise they just pay little above the basic,

Benefits are not bad.

Most fun part of job is that you ride new cars each day.

You interact with new customers everyday which enhances your customer service skills
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Pros
open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons
Only minimum wage
Worst company to wok
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
Poor management. Always overbook and no cars. And they expect you to magic a car to give to their customers. No breaks most of the time and does not pay you for it even you mentioned you weren't able to take break. It is better to work in fast-food chains than here.
Pros
get to test drive different cars if available
Days at work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 16, 2016
Id have to wash cars and clean them. Also pick up and drop off customers who have rented a car. Or are going to rent a car. Also the manager would switch my location every week so i was not able to keep switching. I was being moved around like a pawn on a chess board so I had to leave the company. Horrible Management.
Fun workplace if management is right
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2016
- Come into work every morning and do a lot check for vehicles
- check reservations for current day and upcoming days
- make sure vehicles needed for today was cleaned and ready
- deal with accounts receivables and payables on a daily basis
Pros
Got to drive so many cool cars
Cons
Great company to work for
Assistant Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2016
I truly Enjoyed my job here But There was no growth within the company for me. This job taught me a lot .delegating my staff working with different branch and affiliated companies.working under pressure and being organized.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
No growth within the company
Worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Terrible company. High employee turnover rate. Regularly overbooks, and expects their employees to deal with the fallout - i.e. grovel profusely to irate customers who were naturally expecting their reservations to be honoured - on a regular basis. Do not work here if you have any pride and/or shame.
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cons
Did not like most of the people I worked for. They did nothing to improve bad company policies.
Not Like Retail
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONSeptember 5, 2016
If you have a retail background like I do, be warned....this is NOT like working retail.

It's much much worse.

Every customer you deal with feels like they deserve special treatment.

Avoid this place...and probably rental car companies in general.
Great Organization - Canadian Owned and Operated
Assistant Manager, Fleet Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2016
Great opportunity learned many facets of the business - customer service, franchise operations, fleet as well as day to day operations.
Terribly managed
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 17, 2016
The Alberta province is terribly managed and in a downward spiral. I was not treated fairly by the Regional Director and did not have my concerns acknowledged.
Fast paced enviroment
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Working with great people in a strong emphasis on teammwork. Helping customers and delivering vehicles to different locations. Resolving customer issues and meeting sales quotas
Pros
Free lunches on Friday
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, High stress.
Fast Paced, Productive, Continuous Learning, Co-Workers are great
Lead Customer Service Specialist/Night Manager (Current Employee) –  AirportDecember 11, 2014
- Fast paced work environment and long hours. No two days are the same. Constant scramble to find vehicles for customers.
- If you get past the first month or two, you will learn a lot! It will prepare you for any other job or career path you may take. This job will teach you how to deal with everything under the sun.
- Management is very poor. Your Branch Manager will most likely be great, but upper management is terrible.
- Co-workers are amazing and will be the reason you go back to work everyday.
- Hardest part of the job is dealing with a poorly managed company. The lack of cars will drive you crazy. No job security, poor wages, and it can be very stressful; not for the faint at heart. The busy season is the worst! You will have irate customers yelling at you all day.
- The most enjoyable part of the job will be your co-workers and helping customers. The knowledge you will gain will be beneficial to any other job or career you may take. It will make you a stronger individual. If you last that is.
Interesting workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
It was a different kind of environment to work in , very disorganized and confusing. I met some great individuals and enjoyed the christmas party.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Disorganized
Fun workplace, great staff, Poor wage
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 12, 2014
Discount is a great place to work and learn. However the Management is not very professional and the wage is not what I was told it would be. You don't make enough money for what your job entails. Also even though you are told that you will be off at 530, you actually don't leave until well after 6pm. I found that during the hiring process, they leave a lot of major details out, so be prepared for some major surprises when your first day comes.
All this said, however, the staff at the local branch is outstanding and a really awesome group of people to be around. And if you are able to get past the wage and inconsistencies between the interview/hiring process and the actual job, its a great place and a pretty awesome job.
I learned a lot about myself, gained a whole bunch of new skills, and possibly figured out where I want my career path to go.
Pros
driving brand new cars.
Cons
horrible wage
Great
Washing and driving cars (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
Its a great environment with great people even though at some days it gets really stressful but other days its doing good. Learned how to handle new cars and how a car rental company works. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Good co-workers and free of stress
Cons
Lots of complaning
Enjoyed learning cr rental industry
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown PEJuly 27, 2012
Was an excellent fun job mostly dealing with tourist industry and insurance replacement auto segment of auto industry. Had a good co worker that made job enjoyable,the owner manager was open to business advancement and welcomed all suggestions,hardest part of job was understanding the owners reasons for always changing pay structure making bonuses unobtainable most months mad staff moral low. Enjoyed dealing with tourists as for most part were happy and cheerful went at rental counter
Pros
driving new car models each year
Cons
long hours in hot summer months
Work hard and get no where.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough locationMarch 14, 2015
My time at Discount was some of the hardest working I've ever done. I worked 75-80 hour weeks for 5 weeks straight until they hired more people to fill up the schedule. I was promised raises and promotions(at the time the store did not have a proper manager and I was working beside the district head). I was told that if I worked hard that I could become the new manager of the location. A job I was well suited for having been a manager in the past and applying with that in mind. I got none of that.

The company management do nothing but lie to you. Promise you things to get you to work harder then not follow through.

I reorganized that entire location, I trained all the new personel that came to work for us. I was with them for 3 days shy of 6 months(the end of the probation period) then they let me go in the middle of a shift with no warning. I was supposed to get a raise after 3 months... that never came.

When new management did come to the store I decided to try and make the best of it and work hard. There are other locations after all. This new manager made me out to be a useless employee that did nothing but screw up, all so he could look like he was doing the work that I had done. He would issue new policies that I would warn him would upset the customer base. I would do as asked though. Then the customers would get upset and he would come out and act like I wasn't doing exactly as he told me to do that morning.

Everyone in this company lied to me and used me. They are the type of company that will step on its employees. I could not recommend more to stay away from these
  more... people.  less
Pros
was close to home, great customers
Cons
long hours, worked weekends, lack of management support, lack of training, broken promises, the type of environment that has you stepping on others to get a leg up.

2.6