Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews in Canada

Fast paced enviroment
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Working with great people in a strong emphasis on teammwork. Helping customers and delivering vehicles to different locations. Resolving customer issues and meeting sales quotas
Pros
Free lunches on Friday
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, High stress.
Worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Terrible company. High employee turnover rate. Regularly overbooks, and expects their employees to deal with the fallout - i.e. grovel profusely to irate customers who were naturally expecting their reservations to be honoured - on a regular basis. Do not work here if you have any pride and/or shame.
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cons
Did not like most of the people I worked for. They did nothing to improve bad company policies.
Interesting workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
It was a different kind of environment to work in , very disorganized and confusing. I met some great individuals and enjoyed the christmas party.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Disorganized
Roles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
I would usually start 7:30 am have a team huddle and we would see how many cars we would need to have for all the reservations we have for the day. I would start assigning tasks to employees to complete by the end of their shifts. As a team we arrange picking up of cars if the location is short of cars which is sometimes difficult because as a company their are way to much reservations then cars. The best part of my job is that it was a fun environment and all my co-workers were wonderful people.
Pros
Getting to drive different car everyday
Cons
Fleet Management was poor
Great
Washing and driving cars (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QCJanuary 25, 2016
Its a great environment with great people even though at some days it gets really stressful but other days its doing good. Learned how to handle new cars and how a car rental company works. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Good co-workers and free of stress
Cons
Lots of complaning
Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Pros
open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons
Only minimum wage
Awful
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2015
crazy hours, minimal pay.. high stress. No cars to rent, constantly getting yelled at by customers and managers, low morale.
Nice to work with could be more better
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 2, 2015
The work starts very busy early in the morning, some times you will be end up doing cleaning work but still has never ending work.
Pros
good team
Cons
needmore management support and better pay

Comment – September 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear you felt you did not have enough support or pay in your role. We would truly appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have never had team members in Human Resources in Grand Prairie, and would still like to review your feedback. You can also contact Susan Ball, Director of Human Resources with your feedback or complete the online submission on our Carpro blog names "Speak Up" where you can leave your feedback confidentially. We look forward to hearing from you.

Work hard and get no where.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough locationMarch 14, 2015
My time at Discount was some of the hardest working I've ever done. I worked 75-80 hour weeks for 5 weeks straight until they hired more people to fill up the schedule. I was promised raises and promotions(at the time the store did not have a proper manager and I was working beside the district head). I was told that if I worked hard that I could become the new manager of the location. A job I was well suited for having been a manager in the past and applying with that in mind. I got none of that.

The company management do nothing but lie to you. Promise you things to get you to work harder then not follow through.

I reorganized that entire location, I trained all the new personel that came to work for us. I was with them for 3 days shy of 6 months(the end of the probation period) then they let me go in the middle of a shift with no warning. I was supposed to get a raise after 3 months... that never came.

When new management did come to the store I decided to try and make the best of it and work hard. There are other locations after all. This new manager made me out to be a useless employee that did nothing but screw up, all so he could look like he was doing the work that I had done. He would issue new policies that I would warn him would upset the customer base. I would do as asked though. Then the customers would get upset and he would come out and act like I wasn't doing exactly as he told me to do that morning.

Everyone in this company lied to me and used me. They are the type of company that will step on its employees. I could not recommend more to stay away from these
  more... people.  less
Pros
was close to home, great customers
Cons
long hours, worked weekends, lack of management support, lack of training, broken promises, the type of environment that has you stepping on others to get a leg up.
Very productive and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 17, 2015
Discount overall was a fun and a nice place to work at. We had a great team over there, where everyone would take the initiative
to help one another. we all just got along fine; it made going to work everyday that much easier.
Pros
loved working with my co-workers and meeting new people everyday.
Cons
the pay wasn't that good.
Very productive and excellent place to work.
Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Lindsay, ONJanuary 1, 2015
I learned a lot working at Discount most of my management skills come from working here. Staff was excellent to work with. My day consisted of Managing my team, putting out rentals, everyday paperwork, damage files and customer service.
amazing
Clerical customer service (Former Employee) –  montrealDecember 28, 2014
i had the most lovely co-workers and director
the atmosphere was great,
Fun workplace, great staff, Poor wage
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 12, 2014
Discount is a great place to work and learn. However the Management is not very professional and the wage is not what I was told it would be. You don't make enough money for what your job entails. Also even though you are told that you will be off at 530, you actually don't leave until well after 6pm. I found that during the hiring process, they leave a lot of major details out, so be prepared for some major surprises when your first day comes.
All this said, however, the staff at the local branch is outstanding and a really awesome group of people to be around. And if you are able to get past the wage and inconsistencies between the interview/hiring process and the actual job, its a great place and a pretty awesome job.
I learned a lot about myself, gained a whole bunch of new skills, and possibly figured out where I want my career path to go.
Pros
driving brand new cars.
Cons
horrible wage
Fast Paced, Productive, Continuous Learning, Co-Workers are great
Lead Customer Service Specialist/Night Manager (Current Employee) –  AirportDecember 11, 2014
- Fast paced work environment and long hours. No two days are the same. Constant scramble to find vehicles for customers.
- If you get past the first month or two, you will learn a lot! It will prepare you for any other job or career path you may take. This job will teach you how to deal with everything under the sun.
- Management is very poor. Your Branch Manager will most likely be great, but upper management is terrible.
- Co-workers are amazing and will be the reason you go back to work everyday.
- Hardest part of the job is dealing with a poorly managed company. The lack of cars will drive you crazy. No job security, poor wages, and it can be very stressful; not for the faint at heart. The busy season is the worst! You will have irate customers yelling at you all day.
- The most enjoyable part of the job will be your co-workers and helping customers. The knowledge you will gain will be beneficial to any other job or career you may take. It will make you a stronger individual. If you last that is.
Terrible company to work for
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  richmond hillDecember 10, 2014
DO NOT WORK HERE

They overwork you and treat you like a slave, underpaid and no motivation to advance in company and will eventually lay you off.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Good Work Place
Rental Advisor (Current Employee) –  BrantfordDecember 1, 2014
A typical day at work
-Making sure I print off list of cars that need to be clean on the days I get help
-Every customer get a clean rental
-Do a lot of stuff on the computer
-Open and Close agreements
-Clean rentals
-Pick and Drop off customers
-Answer phone calls
-Deal with customers all day long/make sure they get rentals on time
-Make reservations/when reservations come in making sure they are called to confirm there rental
-Always putting in notes on rental agreements
-Doing updates and making sure they don't go over there rental max/making sure payment is taken if they extend there rental
-Walk around the rental to see if there is any damages
-Took care of everything at front desk
What I Learned
-When I first started this job I was shy to talk to customers and I learned how to communicate with others. I'm more open with customers when I give them a ride home or pick them up and also talk to them over the phone. Most customers when they come in are very stressed due to they have just been into an accident and I always try to make them happy and stress free when they get a rental
Co-worker
-My co-workers are very nice, I'm the only one that works for Discount and I have a helper to clean cars on certain days. I'm located in a bodyshop so I'm able to get help from other and I help them out when they need it
The hardest part of the job
-I'm the only one that works at the front desk and sometimes the customers come in all at once and I help them out as fast as I can and they are always understanding due to they know I work here alone. I always keep calm but sometimes it does
  more... it a lot for me to do it on my own
The most enjoyable part of the job
-Everyone gets along and the bodyshop includes me in the things they do. They celebrate everyone's birthday and have lunch. If the bodyshop does very good for the month they take the office workers out for dinner
Productive day always tasks to complete
Training Operator/ Mild Labourer (Former Employee) –  pickering, OnNovember 10, 2014
A typical day at work is coming in and getting all the cars ready to go out to the customers, ensuring there all cleaned and in working condition.

I learned how to manage your time wisely.
Pros
driving any car
Cons
Great working with the discount team
Insurance Call Center Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 15, 2014
I had a great time working with this company and considered warm and welcoming even to date...
Terrible place to work unless you are upper management
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 10, 2014
It is impossible to move up the chain. They promise you the world then make you jump through hoops for years before finally giving you a raise. It is stressful because they over-book people then make you deal with angry customers. The staff turnover is through the roof.
Pros
training is great
Cons
everything else