Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

stay away
MIT (Manager in Training) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 October 2016
Poor pay.
Very bad customer service.
Over promises and under delivering to both employees and customers.

I had great Managers and colleagues but the business structure was flawed. They always over book cars and hen do not have vehicles for customers to rent to and since you are there, you get blamed for the reservation from head office...
Enjoyable
Customer Service Representitive- Made (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB29 September 2016
Easy job to do, some days are extremely busy but yet some days are quite slow and you don't have much to do. Great hours of work which makes family life easier.
Pros
Daily Overtime
Cons
Bonus plan not quite what I thought
Great Organization - Canadian Owned and Operated
Assistant Manager, Fleet Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 September 2016
Great opportunity learned many facets of the business - customer service, franchise operations, fleet as well as day to day operations.
Days at work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON16 September 2016
Id have to wash cars and clean them. Also pick up and drop off customers who have rented a car. Or are going to rent a car. Also the manager would switch my location every week so i was not able to keep switching. I was being moved around like a pawn on a chess board so I had to leave the company. Horrible Management.
Fun workplace if management is right
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 September 2016
- Come into work every morning and do a lot check for vehicles
- check reservations for current day and upcoming days
- make sure vehicles needed for today was cleaned and ready
- deal with accounts receivables and payables on a daily basis
Pros
Got to drive so many cool cars
Not Like Retail
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON5 September 2016
If you have a retail background like I do, be warned....this is NOT like working retail.

It's much much worse.

Every customer you deal with feels like they deserve special treatment.

Avoid this place...and probably rental car companies in general.
Great company to work for
Assistant Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
I truly Enjoyed my job here But There was no growth within the company for me. This job taught me a lot .delegating my staff working with different branch and affiliated companies.working under pressure and being organized.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
No growth within the company
Worst company to wok
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 August 2016
Poor management. Always overbook and no cars. And they expect you to magic a car to give to their customers. No breaks most of the time and does not pay you for it even you mentioned you weren't able to take break. It is better to work in fast-food chains than here.
Pros
get to test drive different cars if available
Survival job
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2016
It is good company to work , I love working with discount but you cant choose it as your career as there is no career oriented approach by the
Management.

It is a survival job for everyone who is working here. They give good 40 hours to work in a week.

Salary wise they just pay little above the basic,

Benefits are not bad.

Most fun part of job is that you ride new cars each day.

You interact with new customers everyday which enhances your customer service skills
Terribly managed
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Alberta17 July 2016
The Alberta province is terribly managed and in a downward spiral. I was not treated fairly by the Regional Director and did not have my concerns acknowledged.
Customer Service/Sales Representative
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  330 Steeles Ave West15 July 2016
Just like any other hospitality job, working at Discount required us to manage our time extremely well. Preparing the vehicle a day before the reserved date and time, cleaning cars, making sure all clients are written up on the agreement properly and doing auto insurance sales for all of our sources or rental. (retail, dealerships, bodyshops and insurance companies)
Pros
Great people to work with, new work experience and very interactive.
Cons
Long hours, lack of supply and poor management
Fast paced enviroment
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2016
Working with great people in a strong emphasis on teammwork. Helping customers and delivering vehicles to different locations. Resolving customer issues and meeting sales quotas
Pros
Free lunches on Friday
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, High stress.
Worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 March 2016
Terrible company. High employee turnover rate. Regularly overbooks, and expects their employees to deal with the fallout - i.e. grovel profusely to irate customers who were naturally expecting their reservations to be honoured - on a regular basis. Do not work here if you have any pride and/or shame.
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cons
Did not like most of the people I worked for. They did nothing to improve bad company policies.
Interesting workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
It was a different kind of environment to work in , very disorganized and confusing. I met some great individuals and enjoyed the christmas party.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Disorganized
Roles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 March 2016
I would usually start 7:30 am have a team huddle and we would see how many cars we would need to have for all the reservations we have for the day. I would start assigning tasks to employees to complete by the end of their shifts. As a team we arrange picking up of cars if the location is short of cars which is sometimes difficult because as a company their are way to much reservations then cars. The best part of my job is that it was a fun environment and all my co-workers were wonderful people.
Pros
Getting to drive different car everyday
Cons
Fleet Management was poor
Great
Washing and driving cars (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 January 2016
Its a great environment with great people even though at some days it gets really stressful but other days its doing good. Learned how to handle new cars and how a car rental company works. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Good co-workers and free of stress
Cons
Lots of complaning
Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 December 2015
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON8 December 2015
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Pros
open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons
Only minimum wage
Awful
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2015
crazy hours, minimal pay.. high stress. No cars to rent, constantly getting yelled at by customers and managers, low morale.
Nice to work with could be more better
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB2 July 2015
The work starts very busy early in the morning, some times you will be end up doing cleaning work but still has never ending work.
Pros
good team
Cons
needmore management support and better pay

Comment – September 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear you felt you did not have enough support or pay in your role. We would truly appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have never had team members in Human Resources in Grand Prairie, and would still like to review your feedback. You can also contact Susan Ball, Director of Human Resources with your feedback or complete the online submission on our Carpro blog names "Speak Up" where you can leave your feedback confidentially. We look forward to hearing from you.

2.6