Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

Great Organization - Canadian Owned and Operated
Assistant Manager, Fleet Department (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 25, 2016
Great opportunity learned many facets of the business - customer service, franchise operations, fleet as well as day to day operations.
Days at work
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONSeptember 16, 2016
Id have to wash cars and clean them. Also pick up and drop off customers who have rented a car. Or are going to rent a car. Also the manager would switch my location every week so i was not able to keep switching. I was being moved around like a pawn on a chess board so I had to leave the company. Horrible Management.
Fun workplace if management is right
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 12, 2016
- Come into work every morning and do a lot check for vehicles
- check reservations for current day and upcoming days
- make sure vehicles needed for today was cleaned and ready
- deal with accounts receivables and payables on a daily basis
Pros
Got to drive so many cool cars
Not Like Retail
Manager (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ONSeptember 5, 2016
If you have a retail background like I do, be warned....this is NOT like working retail.

It's much much worse.

Every customer you deal with feels like they deserve special treatment.

Avoid this place...and probably rental car companies in general.
Great company to work for
Assistant Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 31, 2016
I truly Enjoyed my job here But There was no growth within the company for me. This job taught me a lot .delegating my staff working with different branch and affiliated companies.working under pressure and being organized.
Pros
Great boss
Cons
No growth within the company
Worst company to wok
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 3, 2016
Poor management. Always overbook and no cars. And they expect you to magic a car to give to their customers. No breaks most of the time and does not pay you for it even you mentioned you weren't able to take break. It is better to work in fast-food chains than here.
Pros
get to test drive different cars if available
Survival job
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2016
It is good company to work , I love working with discount but you cant choose it as your career as there is no career oriented approach by the
Management.

It is a survival job for everyone who is working here. They give good 40 hours to work in a week.

Salary wise they just pay little above the basic,

Benefits are not bad.

Most fun part of job is that you ride new cars each day.

You interact with new customers everyday which enhances your customer service skills
Terribly managed
District Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  AlbertaJuly 17, 2016
The Alberta province is terribly managed and in a downward spiral. I was not treated fairly by the Regional Director and did not have my concerns acknowledged.
Customer Service/Sales Representative
Customer Service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  330 Steeles Ave WestJuly 15, 2016
Just like any other hospitality job, working at Discount required us to manage our time extremely well. Preparing the vehicle a day before the reserved date and time, cleaning cars, making sure all clients are written up on the agreement properly and doing auto insurance sales for all of our sources or rental. (retail, dealerships, bodyshops and insurance companies)
Pros
Great people to work with, new work experience and very interactive.
Cons
Long hours, lack of supply and poor management
Fast paced enviroment
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 11, 2016
Working with great people in a strong emphasis on teammwork. Helping customers and delivering vehicles to different locations. Resolving customer issues and meeting sales quotas
Pros
Free lunches on Friday
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, High stress.
Worst place I've ever worked
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 30, 2016
Terrible company. High employee turnover rate. Regularly overbooks, and expects their employees to deal with the fallout - i.e. grovel profusely to irate customers who were naturally expecting their reservations to be honoured - on a regular basis. Do not work here if you have any pride and/or shame.
Pros
Enjoyed the people I worked with.
Cons
Did not like most of the people I worked for. They did nothing to improve bad company policies.
Interesting workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
It was a different kind of environment to work in , very disorganized and confusing. I met some great individuals and enjoyed the christmas party.
Pros
Flexibilty
Cons
Disorganized
Roles
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 20, 2016
I would usually start 7:30 am have a team huddle and we would see how many cars we would need to have for all the reservations we have for the day. I would start assigning tasks to employees to complete by the end of their shifts. As a team we arrange picking up of cars if the location is short of cars which is sometimes difficult because as a company their are way to much reservations then cars. The best part of my job is that it was a fun environment and all my co-workers were wonderful people.
Pros
Getting to drive different car everyday
Cons
Fleet Management was poor
Great
Washing and driving cars (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 25, 2016
Its a great environment with great people even though at some days it gets really stressful but other days its doing good. Learned how to handle new cars and how a car rental company works. Co-workers are very nice and helpful.
Pros
Good co-workers and free of stress
Cons
Lots of complaning
Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Long hours, no work-life balance
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2015
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Pros
open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons
Only minimum wage
Awful
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONDecember 7, 2015
crazy hours, minimal pay.. high stress. No cars to rent, constantly getting yelled at by customers and managers, low morale.
Nice to work with could be more better
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJuly 2, 2015
The work starts very busy early in the morning, some times you will be end up doing cleaning work but still has never ending work.
Pros
good team
Cons
needmore management support and better pay

Comment – September 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear you felt you did not have enough support or pay in your role. We would truly appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have never had team members in Human Resources in Grand Prairie, and would still like to review your feedback. You can also contact Susan Ball, Director of Human Resources with your feedback or complete the online submission on our Carpro blog names "Speak Up" where you can leave your feedback confidentially. We look forward to hearing from you.

Work hard and get no where.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Peterborough locationMarch 14, 2015
My time at Discount was some of the hardest working I've ever done. I worked 75-80 hour weeks for 5 weeks straight until they hired more people to fill up the schedule. I was promised raises and promotions(at the time the store did not have a proper manager and I was working beside the district head). I was told that if I worked hard that I could become the new manager of the location. A job I was well suited for having been a manager in the past and applying with that in mind. I got none of that.

The company management do nothing but lie to you. Promise you things to get you to work harder then not follow through.

I reorganized that entire location, I trained all the new personel that came to work for us. I was with them for 3 days shy of 6 months(the end of the probation period) then they let me go in the middle of a shift with no warning. I was supposed to get a raise after 3 months... that never came.

When new management did come to the store I decided to try and make the best of it and work hard. There are other locations after all. This new manager made me out to be a useless employee that did nothing but screw up, all so he could look like he was doing the work that I had done. He would issue new policies that I would warn him would upset the customer base. I would do as asked though. Then the customers would get upset and he would come out and act like I wasn't doing exactly as he told me to do that morning.

Everyone in this company lied to me and used me. They are the type of company that will step on its employees. I could not recommend more to stay away from these
  more... people.  less
Pros
was close to home, great customers
Cons
long hours, worked weekends, lack of management support, lack of training, broken promises, the type of environment that has you stepping on others to get a leg up.
Very productive and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North York, ONFebruary 17, 2015
Discount overall was a fun and a nice place to work at. We had a great team over there, where everyone would take the initiative
to help one another. we all just got along fine; it made going to work everyday that much easier.
Pros
Loved working with my co-workers and meeting new people everyday.
Cons
The pay wasn't that good.

Comment – September 8, 2015

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time at DCTR!

2.6