Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

Terrible
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
I loved working here at first. My manager was amazing and getting to drive brand new cars every day was awesome.
Then when he left it all got terrible. Managers were disorganized and some had never worked with the company before and had no idea how the system worked. They care more about sales then they do about their customers or their employees. We were almost always short on vehicles and being on the front line you get all the abuse.
People at head office are no help. And most people have no idea how to do their job.
Any good managers or employees were all driven away by the mismanagement, disorganization and lack of support from higher ups.
Some serious changes need to be made at this company.
Pros
Driving different vehicles
Cons
Management, disorganization, terrible pay, high stress
Work
Client Service Specialist/ (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2017
This is a fast paced work environment where the situation could change very quickly. you have to be able to adapt very quickly to the situation and be able to deal with frustrated customers at times.
Environnement de travail tres productife
Laveur de véhivule (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC14 August 2017
Certains jour c'est plus calme que d'autres mais ils à toujours quelque chose à faire.
Pros
Rabais employer
Cons
Salaire moyen
Fun, interactive place
Agent de service a la clientèle (Former Employee) –  St-Hubert, QC21 July 2017
Great place to work, awesome management, great returning clients. Clean place, also the job itself was very entertaining and educating. It helped me gained alot of experience.
Pros
Great team
Cons
10 hour days
low pay grade and non convenient hours
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2017
start at $12.00 hr , random hours, late nights and holidays uncomfortable uniforms. management is not the nicest. head office is extremely ignorant. they train you at head office for a week and lunches are free. but you must find your own travel route. and the travel time is not compensated. they make you pay for the uniforms, and they are very strict. hours are long and pay isnt worth it.
Terrible experience
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
Very terrible management completely disorganized! Could not log into pay system for a month ever time I asked the managed to help me log in he said we' ll do it later then nothing, eventually made him help me log in but then once I started logging in no pay for 4 weeks! All they could say was the guy doing payroll got sick! WTF! How is that my problem?!
Besides the minimum wage (I'm not getting) the whole place is ridiculous! No cars for customers that reserved over a month in advance, one driver going all over the place while 5 guys hang out behind the counter and wash there personal vehicles, just a garbage job!
Pros
Minimum wage
Cons
Force you to take an hour break even if you don't want to sit there in a chair for an hour
Great learning experience
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON22 June 2017
Great if you love dealing with customers and always up for a challenge. Your ability to multi task is definitely an asset. Working under pressure is another key thing for the busier part of the day, as well as being a team player. Other parts of the work day may be enjoyable interacting with your colleagues to complete daily tasks.
Pros
Learning experience and company events
Cons
Excellent feeling of security, enjoyment and pride in the company and its services
Inside Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals!
The atmosphere was one of fun and enjoyment of our work while remaining professional.
The company took great care in training and further advancement opportunities.
There were lovely perks like parties and picnics as well.
The management was in constant contact with us to ensure we were doing the utmost to further our career and to support us whenever we needed it.
It felt like a true family.
I would most certainly like to work at Discount again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Constant employee picnics, parties and treats like massages
Cons
for me only: very long commute
high turnover
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2017
booking for vehicles that are not there,
learned there is no point of getting insurance on a rental car.
management dont want you to miss any days,
get to drive a lot,
uber makes more money
Pros
free lunches on friday
Cons
Great place to start your career!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 May 2017
Can be very fast paced, but work with a great team and supportive management. Had a week of in class Blue and Green University training and lots of employee events etc. They even order lunch for everyone every Friday! Love driving all kinds of new cars and trucks. Sometimes the days can be long, but worth it! Give you the support you need to run your location.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays. Discount insurance, clothes etc. Career opportunities
Cons
Can be long hours
Incredibly poor management
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 May 2017
All the managers care about is the sale. They don't care about the employees at all. I was mentaly, physically and sexually abused and no one cared. The worst part is that it was management who did all that.
Love this Place
Sales Audit Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON26 April 2017
My First Job in Canada. I still love this company.
My Bosses were great. Did my co-op work terms there and then got permanent position.
Overall just lovely and family working environment.
Fun workplace, great as a part-time job for students.
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC11 April 2017
My job tasks as Service Attendant included preparing vehicles, opening/closing contracts, assisting customers with their rental, driving customers, and closing up shop. The management at my location was amazing (Jarvis St). They have a way of bringing the staff together and making everyone feel comfortable with each other.
Pros
Free lunches on Fridays
Cons
Flexible hours
Fun but not promising
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 April 2017
Fun job at first but management was terrible. We never had enough cars to accommodate reservations. We had to clean cars in suits due to staff shortage. We also had to work as drivers and work 11 hour shifts.
Pros
driving nice cars
Cons
terrible pay
Awesome comapny
Assistant Fleet Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 February 2017
Great place to work just financially not supportive of its employees. chances of growth is limited. great group of people to work with.
Pros
Great job
ok place to work
Driver/ Detailer (Current Employee) –  Leduc, AB19 February 2017
Great people to work with, but the management isnt that great and it doesnt pay very well.
The job balances well with my home life, hours were good and there is always overtime if needed.
Pros
1 hour lunch, great people to work with
Cons
bad salary, 0 benefits for 6 months and lots of unorganization
A stepping stone in your career
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 February 2017
This is a great company to work for if you are there a short period of time. The hours are not good for work/life balance and the pay does not compensate you for your time or efforts. There are a few fun things like a yearly hockey tournament or picnic to go to but not all staff is able to go.
Highly stressful environment with long unforgiving hours
Senior Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Belleville, ON1 February 2017
Fleet department doesn't support the stores logically, sells off vehicles before replacing them. Management has a never-say-no approach in illogical situations when there is nothing left to give customers. Constantly forced to get new clients When we have nothing available for our current customers. Not team friendly although management preached about "one-team, one-goal"
Pros
get paid benefits, get to drive new cars frequently
Cons
understaffed so no vacation, schedule based on 40 hours but constantly forced overtime, nobody wants to work or stay at the job long
lousy job with poor pay and management
Customer Servivce Represetative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2017
Management doesn't care about their staff at all. As long as they keep costs down. Don't expect the big bonuses they promise. Raises are nonexistant as managers get bonuses to keep costs down so they don;t do reviews.There is never enough vehicles and you will get the blame.
Expect to wash cars in your good clothes and ruin them.
Pros
Cons
long hours poor pay
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2017
Company Is Strong And Good But Management Needs Improving. Wasn't The Best Job But the Employees Together Made Everything Roll Accurate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discount Car and Truck Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5