Discount Car and Truck Rentals

Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Work hard and get no where.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee), Peterborough locationMarch 14, 2015
Pros: was close to home, great customers
Cons: long hours, worked weekends, lack of management support, lack of training, broken promises, the type of environment that has you stepping on others to get a leg up.
My time at Discount was some of the hardest working I've ever done. I worked 75-80 hour weeks for 5 weeks straight until they hired more people to fill up the schedule. I was promised raises and promotions(at the time the store did not have a proper manager and I was working beside the district head). I was told that if I worked hard that I could become the new manager of the location. A job I was well suited for having been a manager in the past and applying with that in mind. I got none of that.

The company management do nothing but lie to you. Promise you things to get you to work harder then not follow through.

I reorganized that entire location, I trained all the new personel that came to work for us. I was with them for 3 days shy of 6 months(the end of the probation period) then they let me go in the middle of a shift with no warning. I was supposed to get a raise after 3 months... that never came.

When new management did come to the store I decided to try and make the best of it and work hard. There are other locations after all. This new manager made me out to be a useless employee that did nothing but screw up, all so he could look like he was doing the work that I had done. He would issue new policies that I would warn him would upset the customer base. I would do as asked though. Then the customers would get upset and he would come out and act like I wasn't doing exactly as he told me to do that morning.

Everyone in this company lied to me and used me. They are the type of company that will step on its employees. I could not recommend more to stay away from these – more... people. – less
Good Work Place
Rental Advisor (Current Employee), BrantfordDecember 1, 2014
A typical day at work
-Making sure I print off list of cars that need to be clean on the days I get help
-Every customer get a clean rental
-Do a lot of stuff on the computer
-Open and Close agreements
-Clean rentals
-Pick and Drop off customers
-Answer phone calls
-Deal with customers all day long/make sure they get rentals on time
-Make reservations/when reservations come in making sure they are called to confirm there rental
-Always putting in notes on rental agreements
-Doing updates and making sure they don't go over there rental max/making sure payment is taken if they extend there rental
-Walk around the rental to see if there is any damages
-Took care of everything at front desk
What I Learned
-When I first started this job I was shy to talk to customers and I learned how to communicate with others. I'm more open with customers when I give them a ride home or pick them up and also talk to them over the phone. Most customers when they come in are very stressed due to they have just been into an accident and I always try to make them happy and stress free when they get a rental
Co-worker
-My co-workers are very nice, I'm the only one that works for Discount and I have a helper to clean cars on certain days. I'm located in a bodyshop so I'm able to get help from other and I help them out when they need it
The hardest part of the job
-I'm the only one that works at the front desk and sometimes the customers come in all at once and I help them out as fast as I can and they are always understanding due to they know I work here alone. I always keep calm but sometimes it does – more... it a lot for me to do it on my own
The most enjoyable part of the job
-Everyone gets along and the bodyshop includes me in the things they do. They celebrate everyone's birthday and have lunch. If the bodyshop does very good for the month they take the office workers out for dinner – less
A lot expected with not much return.
Service Attendant/ Acting Counter Service Staff (Current Employee), Laird, ONMarch 11, 2013
Pros: a bit of overtime now and again adds about 50$ to the paycheque.
Cons: at this point, too many to name.
I began working cleaning cars for minimum wage which was fine for me at the time because of the level of enjoyment compared to the workload. The guaranteed 44 hours was a bonus for someone like me looking to make money. However everything changed when the counter position at my store left leaving me to fill his role. It has now been almost 5 months and the promotion I was promised over 3 months ago has still not come. They pressure you about your sales and your punctuality with lure of your 'pending' promotion because those are the apparent requirements for promotion. Worst part is that I'm actually good at the job so my manager has started taking advantage of the fact and now leaves the branch as often as he can. Tomorrow he is actually taking his car during work hours to have his brake pads and rotors replaced. Stay away from discount.

PS We get free lunches on long weekends but we got capped due to the employee I replaced and even though they are long gone the 20$ cap still remains. This company, just like most of their employees, doesn't care about anything.
Fast Paced, Productive, Continuous Learning, Co-Workers are great
Lead Customer Service Specialist/Night Manager (Current Employee), AirportDecember 11, 2014
- Fast paced work environment and long hours. No two days are the same. Constant scramble to find vehicles for customers.
- If you get past the first month or two, you will learn a lot! It will prepare you for any other job or career path you may take. This job will teach you how to deal with everything under the sun.
- Management is very poor. Your Branch Manager will most likely be great, but upper management is terrible.
- Co-workers are amazing and will be the reason you go back to work everyday.
- Hardest part of the job is dealing with a poorly managed company. The lack of cars will drive you crazy. No job security, poor wages, and it can be very stressful; not for the faint at heart. The busy season is the worst! You will have irate customers yelling at you all day.
- The most enjoyable part of the job will be your co-workers and helping customers. The knowledge you will gain will be beneficial to any other job or career you may take. It will make you a stronger individual. If you last that is.
Fun workplace, great staff, Poor wage
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 12, 2014
Pros: driving brand new cars.
Cons: horrible wage
Discount is a great place to work and learn. However the Management is not very professional and the wage is not what I was told it would be. You don't make enough money for what your job entails. Also even though you are told that you will be off at 530, you actually don't leave until well after 6pm. I found that during the hiring process, they leave a lot of major details out, so be prepared for some major surprises when your first day comes.
All this said, however, the staff at the local branch is outstanding and a really awesome group of people to be around. And if you are able to get past the wage and inconsistencies between the interview/hiring process and the actual job, its a great place and a pretty awesome job.
I learned a lot about myself, gained a whole bunch of new skills, and possibly figured out where I want my career path to go.
Fun and enjoyable enviornment
Admin Assistant/CSR (Current Employee), North York, ONSeptember 12, 2013
Working at Discount is always a fun adventure, whether it's driving around to pick up cars and customers or doing work in the office, there is never a dull moment.

A typical day consists of ensure there are enough cars to cover reservations and walk in, to handling any customer issues. I am always making sure that the customer is completely satisfied with their rental experience.

I also handle any unpaid invoices, which consists of researching why the invoice is unpaid and who should be paying it, i.e. insurance company, body shop or customer and collecting payment accordingly.

Another responsibility of mine is to ensure that the location runs as smoothly as possible, ensuring the location is properly staffed, delegating duties to individuals based on their strengths.

Overall, I take care of most administrative duties as well as managerial duties. Anything from refunds to creating the schedule.
Productive work place with plenty of so called comedians all in all everyone there is great
Service Attendant (Current Employee), Oakville, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: open until 6 so i have my evenings and i don't work weekends
Cons: Only minimum wage
Fun place to work with supportive and understanding management. Work is fairly busy most of the time but we always makes time for a laugh.The best part of this job is the stories i hear from other colleagues, and the reactions of other ones. Everyone at the location i work at knows each other pretty well and mesh's nicely.What i do everyday usually is around the same things washing cars, inside and out, parking them to look nice and presentable, Picking up customers and bringing them where they need to go, and sometimes delivering a car/truck to a different location or to a company or going to pick them up. The time goes by pretty fast and i enjoy the work
Great place to work, lots of room for advancement for those who worked and played hard.
Fleet Manager / Maintenance Centre Manager (Former Employee), Halifax, NSAugust 22, 2012
Pros: great company to work for
Cons: really none, if you love your job, you really never mind the hours requied to get there to be successful.
As fleet manager/maintenance manager, I really never planned a day. In most cases my plan was out the window by 8:10am as you went were demands were the greatest.
Loved the job, loved the industry as a whole considering I put 27 years of my life into the industry.
Great perks, the company car, fuel, laptop computer and the freedom to purchase the fleet I wanted.
Planning required great skill as you had to know the industry, the hot models, the proper equipment levels as the best part of the job was the fact that the commision was endless and that all came from experience and buying knowledge
Enjoyed learning cr rental industry
Sales manager (Former Employee), Charlottetown PEJuly 27, 2012
Pros: driving new car models each year
Cons: long hours in hot summer months
Was an excellent fun job mostly dealing with tourist industry and insurance replacement auto segment of auto industry. Had a good co worker that made job enjoyable,the owner manager was open to business advancement and welcomed all suggestions,hardest part of job was understanding the owners reasons for always changing pay structure making bonuses unobtainable most months mad staff moral low. Enjoyed dealing with tourists as for most part were happy and cheerful went at rental counter
Seems fun at first, but is a life killer.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SPECIALIST (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONDecember 8, 2015
Pros: Free lunches on Fridays
Cons: Long hours, no work-life balance
Good benifits. Fun employee outings. Long hours. Expectations well beyond training level. No work-life balance. Internal promotions promised, but never followed through properly. High staff turnover. Fast paced environment. Get to drive new vehicles. Management try to guilt you into not taking a lunch/ prolonging your lunch well past legal time limits. Management try to force employees to drive vehicles out of their licence range.
Productive and Fun place to work
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONJune 10, 2013
Working at Discount is a great way to learn about new things. A lot of strategic management is involved in your day to day work. You learn to manage your time and resources very well. The people you are working with are your team. They help you in every way possible. The hardest part of the job is to ensure that all your commitments are met at the end of the day. If you have a promised someone a vehicle...get it to them. Meeting new people and coming across new situations is the most enjoyable part of the day.
Very productive and fun
Customer Service (Former Employee), North York, ONFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: loved working with my co-workers and meeting new people everyday.
Cons: the pay wasn't that good.
Discount overall was a fun and a nice place to work at. We had a great team over there, where everyone would take the initiative
to help one another. we all just got along fine; it made going to work everyday that much easier.
Productive experience in logistics management
District Manager (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 8, 2012
Pros: experienced high level management acitivities
Cons: lack of logistical support from head office.
I was responsible for growing my territory and had successfully achieved targets. I trained employees and grew my territory sales by 130%.

Activites from business development, recruiting, and managing logistics. Brokering contracts with Insurance companies and delivering high level of customer service to both retail and corporate clients.
Terrible place to work unless you are upper management
Manager in Training (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONAugust 10, 2014
Pros: training is great
Cons: everything else
It is impossible to move up the chain. They promise you the world then make you jump through hoops for years before finally giving you a raise. It is stressful because they over-book people then make you deal with angry customers. The staff turnover is through the roof.
Worst place to work.
Counter Service Specialist (Former Employee), Oakville, ONSeptember 22, 2013
Pros: you get to drive almost every car on the market
Cons: just about everything else.
Plan for very long hours with very little pay and no back up from management when customers get mad. Head office management is clueless to the real needs of the branches.
Productive day always tasks to complete
Training Operator/ Mild Labourer (Former Employee), pickering, OnNovember 10, 2014
Pros: driving any car
Cons: long hours
A typical day at work is coming in and getting all the cars ready to go out to the customers, ensuring there all cleaned and in working condition.

I learned how to manage your time wisely.
An okay company to work for
Client Service Sales Specialist (Current Employee), etobicokeJuly 5, 2012
Typical day at work lots and lots of paper work to be finished which was fun, got drive around to different places, interact with customers, co-workers were average not the greatest, management was poor never was there to help out
Very productive and excellent place to work.
Manager of Operations (Former Employee), Lindsay, ONJanuary 1, 2015
I learned a lot working at Discount most of my management skills come from working here. Staff was excellent to work with. My day consisted of Managing my team, putting out rentals, everyday paperwork, damage files and customer service.
enjoyed working with the public
Branch Manger (Former Employee), TruroJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: loved my job, loved meeting new people
Cons: upper management was horrible to work for
I learned so much working for Discount. I managed the location took care of all the day to day business. I enjoyed meeting new people, and making long term relationships with some of the customers.
Nice to work with could be more better
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJuly 2, 2015
Pros: good team
Cons: needmore management support and better pay
The work starts very busy early in the morning, some times you will be end up doing cleaning work but still has never ending work.

September 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear you felt you did not have enough support or pay in your role. We would truly appreciate your feedback so we can continue to improve. We have never had team members in Human Resources in Grand Prairie, and would still like to review your feedback. You can also contact Susan Ball, Director of Human Resources with your feedback or complete the online submission on our Carpro blog names "Speak Up" where you can leave your feedback confidentially. We look forward to hearing from you.