Discount Car and Truck Rentals Employee Reviews

Can be busy and handling customer let downs
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON15 December 2017
Extra retail pressures to exceed expected numbers. Fulfilling when achieved. As management its a full day of different responsibilities from reports, meetings to customer service.
Pros
Opportunity to have good earnings
Cons
Without support it is impossible to reach expectations.
Stress stress stress...they will make your life a circus.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2017
I have worked in this company in Toronto and Edmonton. Management was better in Toronto but in Edmonton "No comment". I had to leave because everyday the stress was getting bad to worst. I had worked there for 6 years but couldn't take it anymore. Since I work at a different rental company now I actually can differentiate the work culture and I DO NOT recommend this place. Specially in Alberta because the management is trash.
Like a family
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal11 December 2017
Very nice people, great team work with all departments, formation continues, easy work, customer service . Bonus every month and gifts. See all new cars models every years
40h in 4 days
Fun growing crew
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC3 December 2017
Working at discount car rental taught me a lot in my youth, responsibility of renting a car is very important. Seeing and driving different vehicles from one location to the other helped me admire the car industry.
Pros
Amazing location
Cons
The traffic going there
Management responsibilities
Rental Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON30 November 2017
Long hours, enjoyed working there managed the location, had to cover for other employees, worked to gain business for the location, enjoyed interacting with customers.
Great Place to Work
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 November 2017
Great place to be challenged and to learn from accomplishing new goals in a very team based environment,

There are many colleagues available to help when every you need it.
Pros
Team based environment
Never Work Here!
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Yorkdale, ON22 November 2017
Management sucks and does not care about the people working. I received racism first-hand and a lot of bias from the team leaders that we were supposed to look up to. While the job description is easy-going, the higher management mistreats people and shows a lot of favouritism. It was the worst experience I've ever had at a job and I usually always have something good to say. The locations are small and the pay sucks.
Pros
Cons
Management, working hours, employees, Hr, location, and pay wage
does anyone know whats going on?
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 November 2017
At the time the management from the top down treated the staff at a couple of the locations I worked at like we were expendable. No opportunity to actually own the job.

At the branch location, there were a lot of kids fresh out of university working for the first time at management level. The company's reputation suffered because of this culture. Customers frustrated because product that they ordered wasn't available or ready when needed.

Every branch had a click(ish) feel to it. There was no team approach or the ability to make newcomers (and a lot of new folks came and left) feel like their contributions are appreciated.

The last shift that I was called to do and turned down was to a location that was an hour across the city (each way) for a three hour shift. I would of netted $10.00 after fuel expenses. Not worth it
Pros
interaction with customers
Cons
lack of leadership from management and no ownership of the job
Worst working Experience I have ever had
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB17 October 2017
Management was awful, especially central AB OPS manager. And I'll just say #metoo and no one cared until i was to fed up and left. I could go on and on but I won't
Pros
N/a
Cons
#metoo
Depends upon the department you work in
FLEET & LOGISTICS ADMINISTRATOR - WESTERN CANADA (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2017
Great management , nice place to work , flexible hours , good pay, great experience for freshers, you learn a lot here, the managers are always supportive and encourage you to learn more and more.

Want to know more about Discount Car and Truck Rentals?

Ask a question
Discount is very fun and fast paced company to work for
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 September 2017
A trypical day is all about account management, making sure each of your accounts has had their rental needs met and continuing with rapport building.

Contacting leads and drafting up proposals for new business as well as setting up and attending face to face meetings to discuss our platform.

Our team was the best part of my position, they were always there if I needed anything and with a vast wealth of knowledge to point me in the right direction.
Terrible
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
I loved working here at first. My manager was amazing and getting to drive brand new cars every day was awesome.
Then when he left it all got terrible. Managers were disorganized and some had never worked with the company before and had no idea how the system worked. They care more about sales then they do about their customers or their employees. We were almost always short on vehicles and being on the front line you get all the abuse.
People at head office are no help. And most people have no idea how to do their job.
Any good managers or employees were all driven away by the mismanagement, disorganization and lack of support from higher ups.
Some serious changes need to be made at this company.
Pros
Driving different vehicles
Cons
Management, disorganization, terrible pay, high stress
Work
Client Service Specialist/ (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2017
This is a fast paced work environment where the situation could change very quickly. you have to be able to adapt very quickly to the situation and be able to deal with frustrated customers at times.
Environnement de travail tres productife
Laveur de véhivule (Former Employee) –  Quebec City, QC14 August 2017
Certains jour c'est plus calme que d'autres mais ils à toujours quelque chose à faire.
Pros
Rabais employer
Cons
Salaire moyen
Fun, interactive place
Agent de service a la clientèle (Former Employee) –  St-Hubert, QC21 July 2017
Great place to work, awesome management, great returning clients. Clean place, also the job itself was very entertaining and educating. It helped me gained alot of experience.
Pros
Great team
Cons
10 hour days
low pay grade and non convenient hours
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 July 2017
start at $12.00 hr , random hours, late nights and holidays uncomfortable uniforms. management is not the nicest. head office is extremely ignorant. they train you at head office for a week and lunches are free. but you must find your own travel route. and the travel time is not compensated. they make you pay for the uniforms, and they are very strict. hours are long and pay isnt worth it.
Terrible experience
Shuttle Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 June 2017
Very terrible management completely disorganized! Could not log into pay system for a month ever time I asked the managed to help me log in he said we' ll do it later then nothing, eventually made him help me log in but then once I started logging in no pay for 4 weeks! All they could say was the guy doing payroll got sick! WTF! How is that my problem?!
Besides the minimum wage (I'm not getting) the whole place is ridiculous! No cars for customers that reserved over a month in advance, one driver going all over the place while 5 guys hang out behind the counter and wash there personal vehicles, just a garbage job!
Pros
Minimum wage
Cons
Force you to take an hour break even if you don't want to sit there in a chair for an hour
Great learning experience
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  North York, ON22 June 2017
Great if you love dealing with customers and always up for a challenge. Your ability to multi task is definitely an asset. Working under pressure is another key thing for the busier part of the day, as well as being a team player. Other parts of the work day may be enjoyable interacting with your colleagues to complete daily tasks.
Pros
Learning experience and company events
Cons
Excellent feeling of security, enjoyment and pride in the company and its services
Inside Call Centre Representative (Former Employee) –  North York, ON16 June 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Discount Car and Truck Rentals!
The atmosphere was one of fun and enjoyment of our work while remaining professional.
The company took great care in training and further advancement opportunities.
There were lovely perks like parties and picnics as well.
The management was in constant contact with us to ensure we were doing the utmost to further our career and to support us whenever we needed it.
It felt like a true family.
I would most certainly like to work at Discount again if given the opportunity.
Pros
Constant employee picnics, parties and treats like massages
Cons
for me only: very long commute
high turnover
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2017
booking for vehicles that are not there,
learned there is no point of getting insurance on a rental car.
management dont want you to miss any days,
get to drive a lot,
uber makes more money
Pros
free lunches on friday
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Discount Car and Truck Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9