Discount Car and Truck Rental Employee Reviews

Worst Company I Have Worked For
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON5 November 2016
Here is the 100% honest truth of what you can expect if you choose working at Discount Car & Truck Rentals as a Customer Service Specialist:

- NO on-the-job training
- Being left alone as early as your first day at work to handle whole branch alone
- Working 100 hours in a two week period and bringing home a pay cheque of less than $1000.
- Absolutely no raises
- Working 12 hour shifts with no breaks
- Performing managerial duties for a mere $12.02/hour
- Having to deal with not having any available cars because the Operations Manager likes to overbook too much and leaves the Customer Service Specialists to deal with the backlash from customers who have reserved a vehicle
- No professionalism by management
- Poorly skilled management
- NO weekends off
- Absolutely NO Work/Life Balance

This is the complete and honest truth about working for Discount. Head Office does not keep in touch with branches to see what's actually going on. They don't realize that the reason their customer service scores are decreasing are because of the poorly run branches and the fact that employees don't care about the company due to the horrible way their treated and paid. This causes everyone to slack off and not follow rules. Nothing has changed after years of the madness and although they say they're fixing problems they never do.
Pros
Busy days makes the time fly
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, Poor Management, No Raises, Etc
horrible
driving (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta16 August 2016
Worked as a driver there for about a month. What a joke . All a every heard from customers and staff was complaints. Just a little note was fired and they then sent me a email telling me a quit. Didn't even have the balls to tell me in person. Never ever work for them.
Pros
Cons
everything
horrible work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2016
training is poor at least in western Canada you will be blamed for mistakes you make even when trained wrong
the company never has enough vehicles and management blames staff for this
often spend more time looking for cars then anything
pay is lousy and benefits are not good either
many branches the working conditions are poor you clean cars outside all year round
management seems not to care about your complaints and getting necessities is often difficult
don't expect the bonuses you are promised they are very poor and the system is so skewed you will not get them often anyway
everyone at my branch is job hunting
Pros
it pays
Cons
worst 9 months of my life at work
horrible company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
Employed in april for the customer care and reservation specialist. LSCC job title.

worked there for 2 months being bullied and harassed by a co- worker. one year senior and a female called "Yuvonne".

she bossed around without authority and practically doesn't know how to train employees and take care of their development.

3 new employees were hired with me, one who cried while training and was harassed but did not quit.

second, she was human resource employee sister so wasn't messed with.

third was me who faced the bossing around and treated like a loser.

I went to the hr and the manager and told them the problem, but the solution they provided was ridiculous. the solution was no communication between the female co worker and me.

no apology or nothing from anybody, i finally quit and they were absolutely fine with it.

They make you work and expect you to learn everything in 2 days and make no mistakes. if u make mistakes she will again and again compare you with people who they fired in the past.

i hated it every minute. and honestly, anyone sensible enough would quit.
Pros
fancy name
Cons
do not work.
Fun
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2016
I liked working for Discount car & Truck rental because I had the opportunity to explore the different makes and models of vehicles that would be delivered to our store location, as well as vehicles that needed to get picked up and brought to our store location to be rented out to Discount car & Truck renters.
Horrible place to work at
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 November 2015
Job Work/ Life Balance
- If you are single with no responsibilities and no life, this job is for you. If you have a family or any other priority, you will quit, guaranteed.

Salary/Benefits - They don't pay you enough for the work you do. You do much more than you're asked and appreciated much less.

Job Security - They will fire you within a blink of an eye, you will never know when your last day is. I've seen and heard about many MANY people where that was the case.

Management - It's a joke. I was never trained properly and was left alone to handle a whole store by myself with other newbies. At my time most managers in the territory left, I wonder why.

Job Culture - Rather than working as a team everyone is out to get one another. It's really sad to see what happens and what the environment can cause you and your health.

A typical day at work? Come in early, leave late, be stressed out about cars, have customers yell at you all day long because they have planned a trip and booked a car over a month ago and you are not able to give it to them because it's for a insurance customer or a corporate account. No one helps you with a car, you can't plan your days or hold onto cars. I can go on and on.. but I hope you get the point!
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
Everything about it. When you go above your manager to discuss your conflicts, it comes back to you and nothing is ever done about it, EVER until you quit.
productive and supportive work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 September 2015
during my time at Discount, i found it to be a supportive and productive work environment. Management was always willing to listen
Great company to work with
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2015
Busy work place with longing hours. You get a chance with build your own team. the most enjoyable part of the no day is the same day everyday is different. you get to drive different cars.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
Long working hours
Nice People
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakville18 December 2014
Very genuine people and managers, nice place. Really competitive market.
One of the worst places to work in Canada
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto26 October 2014
You work from 7am to 6pm on most days. You also work Monday to Saturday, but they reset the pay period on Friday so Saturday is not overtime.
You will get yelled at by people who have to wait for their rental cars due to cars not being available. You will have to clean cars, and pick up customers as if you are a taxi driver on a regular basis. Which would be no problem, except they advertise it as an office position and expect you to dress as if you work in an office.
You make 12$ an hour, which is just a little above minimum wage. If you ask the people there at-least 90% will say they are applying elsewhere.
No one makes money working here, owners (private owned) have a business model setup primarily for their benefit.
You get to drive different cars at least, and the people there are very laid back/don't stick to the rules etc.
Pros
Very hard to get fired from the job
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, high stress
Productive but Long hours
BRANCH MANGER (Current Employee) –  Brampton and Mississauga11 August 2014
Typical day
Daily Audits, check daily branch reports for the previous day, any Customer service issues and if there are any resolve them,

What I learned
I learned and still learning customer service, Over coming customer issues,

Management is good once in a month Lunch is through the company for all the staff,

Co-workers
Co-workers are nice I have a open door policy for them,

Hardest Part of the Job
hardest part is Long hours but if my company needs me I have to provide my best.

Most Enjoyable part,
Drive new and luxury cars and love talking to customers ask them about their overall experience with the company from picking up to dropping off the vehicles.
Hard work with tight deadlines and no support
help desk (Former Employee) –  north york15 July 2014
Arrange objectives for the day repair a lot of equipment and work environment was more like a warehouse.
Pros
close to home
Enjoyable workplace
Service Attendant (Current Employee) –  Burlington ON11 May 2014
I clean cars in the back and drive them where they need to go. Also pick up customers and drop them off.
Friendly and professional place to work
Admin. Assistant/Payroll Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  720 Arrow Road, Toronto, ON M9M 2M113 February 2014
I was trained for the position I was hired for.
I was assisted in other aspects of the position (dealing with out-of-the-ordinary situations), by fellow workers and management.
Management and co-workers were friendly, helpful and supportive.
The tasks that I performed were not difficult, however, customers would often be very rude and vulgar.
Nevertheless I enjoyed going to work and was proud of being part of an exceptional team.
Pros
Being productive and meeting/exceeding works daily challenges and expectations.
Cons
Not being able to return after taking maternity leave due to restructuring
Structured
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 January 2014
Management could be a little more supportive towards employees.
Overworked, Underpaid and Unappreciated
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario4 December 2013
This is not a good company to work for. If you really need a job, it is a good transitional job to have for 6 months. If you are thinking of staying longer I wouldn't as you may get canned. There is very little potential for job growth. This company wants to squeeze every penny out of you!

Regardless of pay, the job culture at discount is one of the worst that I've ever seen. Mcdonald's is a better place to work with more potential.

Also, this is a CAR company. Do you think Discount has cars to rent on a regular basis? the answer is no. NO product= very stressful for worker.

My advice- If you want to work long hours, GO OUT WEST to Alberta.
Pros
Meeting people in automotive industry and networking
Cons
Work Culture and long hours and salary
Management will promise the world.
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  North York, ON22 October 2013
I worked for this company for less than a year. I've seen many different faces come and go. The reliable workers get screwed.

Management doesnt know what their doing. Its a great in between job.
Pros
Drive cars. Spend lots of time driving around.
Cons
Manditory overtime. High Turnover
No Job security
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa,ON17 September 2013
The management is terrible. The operations manager and managers make empty promises. The long hours i didn't mind but there is no job security with this company. I saw people get fired for no just reasons. Glad i left when i did. For anyone looking at working for this company, hope for a good manager and location. it makes a lot difference.
Pros
Drive Fancy Cars
Cons
Bad Management
Sad
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bracebridge, ON9 September 2013
*taken from another review but said well* Terrible company to work for. No job security. terrible pay. Operations manager unable to make decisions by himself, and always tried to get others in trouble when things went wrong. Would recommend no one work for this company.

had a great local manager however corporate env't is terrible full of promises that are never fulfilled.

Your health will drastically decline, the stress and pressure is no where near worth the pay and appreciation received.

if you can help it DO NOT APPLY!
Pros
cars
Cons
see review-alot
Work hard with minimum downtime
Customer Sales Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2013
Working for Discount was fun. I enjoyed driving all the new fancy cars. Pick up and dropping off clients. Checking in and out clients. Definitely a job that will keep you on your feet and constantly working hard.

2.9