Discount Car and Truck Rental

Discount Car and Truck Rental Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
One of the worst places to work in Canada
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee), TorontoOctober 26, 2014
Pros: very hard to get fired from the job
Cons: long hours, low pay, high stress
You work from 7am to 6pm on most days. You also work Monday to Saturday, but they reset the pay period on Friday so Saturday is not overtime.
You will get yelled at by people who have to wait for their rental cars due to cars not being available. You will have to clean cars, and pick up customers as if you are a taxi driver on a regular basis. Which – more... would be no problem, except they advertise it as an office position and expect you to dress as if you work in an office.
You make 12$ an hour, which is just a little above minimum wage. If you ask the people there at-least 90% will say they are applying elsewhere.
No one makes money working here, owners (private owned) have a business model setup primarily for their benefit.
You get to drive different cars at least, and the people there are very laid back/don't stick to the rules etc. – less
Productive but Long hours
BRANCH MANGER (Current Employee), Brampton and MississaugaAugust 11, 2014
Typical day
Daily Audits, check daily branch reports for the previous day, any Customer service issues and if there are any resolve them,

What I learned
I learned and still learning customer service, Over coming customer issues,

Management is good once in a month Lunch is through the company for all the staff,

Co-workers
Co-workers are – more... nice I have a open door policy for them,

Hardest Part of the Job
hardest part is Long hours but if my company needs me I have to provide my best.

Most Enjoyable part,
Drive new and luxury cars and love talking to customers ask them about their overall experience with the company from picking up to dropping off the vehicles. – less
Hard work with tight deadlines and no support
help desk (Former Employee), north yorkJuly 15, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: long hours
Arrange objectives for the day repair a lot of equipment and work environment was more like a warehouse.
Enjoyable workplace
Service Attendant (Current Employee), Burlington ONMay 11, 2014
I clean cars in the back and drive them where they need to go. Also pick up customers and drop them off.
Friendly and professional place to work
Admin. Assistant/Payroll Clerk/Customer Service (Former Employee), 720 Arrow Road, Toronto, ON M9M 2M1February 13, 2014
Pros: being productive and meeting/exceeding works daily challenges and expectations.
Cons: not being able to return after taking maternity leave due to restructuring
I was trained for the position I was hired for.
I was assisted in other aspects of the position (dealing with out-of-the-ordinary situations), by fellow workers and management.
Management and co-workers were friendly, helpful and supportive.
The tasks that I performed were not difficult, however, customers would often be very rude and vulgar.
Nevertheless – more... I enjoyed going to work and was proud of being part of an exceptional team. – less
Structured
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 19, 2014
Management could be a little more supportive towards employees.
Overworked, Underpaid and Unappreciated
Manager in Training (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioDecember 4, 2013
Pros: meeting people in automotive industry and networking
Cons: work culture and long hours and salary
This is not a good company to work for. If you really need a job, it is a good transitional job to have for 6 months. If you are thinking of staying longer I wouldn't as you may get canned. There is very little potential for job growth. This company wants to squeeze every penny out of you!

Regardless of pay, the job culture at discount is one of the – more... worst that I've ever seen. Mcdonald's is a better place to work with more potential.

Also, this is a CAR company. Do you think Discount has cars to rent on a regular basis? the answer is no. NO product= very stressful for worker.

My advice- If you want to work long hours, GO OUT WEST to Alberta. – less
Management will promise the world.
Management Trainee (Former Employee), North York, ONOctober 22, 2013
Pros: drive cars. spend lots of time driving around.
Cons: manditory overtime. high turnover
I worked for this company for less than a year. I've seen many different faces come and go. The reliable workers get screwed.

Management doesnt know what their doing. Its a great in between job.
No Job security
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Ottawa,ONSeptember 17, 2013
Pros: drive fancy cars
Cons: bad management
The management is terrible. The operations manager and managers make empty promises. The long hours i didn't mind but there is no job security with this company. I saw people get fired for no just reasons. Glad i left when i did. For anyone looking at working for this company, hope for a good manager and location. it makes a lot difference.
Sad
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Bracebridge, ONSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: cars
Cons: see review-alot
*taken from another review but said well* Terrible company to work for. No job security. terrible pay. Operations manager unable to make decisions by himself, and always tried to get others in trouble when things went wrong. Would recommend no one work for this company.

had a great local manager however corporate env't is terrible full of promises – more... that are never fulfilled.

Your health will drastically decline, the stress and pressure is no where near worth the pay and appreciation received.

if you can help it DO NOT APPLY! – less
Work hard with minimum downtime
Customer Sales Service (Former Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2013
Working for Discount was fun. I enjoyed driving all the new fancy cars. Pick up and dropping off clients. Checking in and out clients. Definitely a job that will keep you on your feet and constantly working hard.
Hard work with honesty will always payoff
Manager in Training (Current Employee), Scarborough, ONJuly 15, 2013
Pros: drive new cars eveyday
Cons: long hours
Running the location as an acting manager with 5 staff underneath me for last six months.

I am a simple individual with a high ambition. I want to touch the clouds while I have my feet on the ground.

I do work hard and always keep myself busy because at work place there is always something to do.

Like to take more responsibility everyday and try – more... to follow them step by step.

Always like to stay on top of work. – less
This place was horrible
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 29, 2013
Pros: the people you work with are nice
Cons: 44+ hour work weeks
Most people who were working here were either in school or in between jobs at the time. Turn over rate was ridiculous high, management had no direction in terms of work, a lot of people here just didn't care about their jobs after a month
Manager
Manager (Former Employee), Woodbridge, ONApril 22, 2013
Oversaw one of the rental branches through the coaching and mentoring of sales and service personnel to strive for optimized productivity
Reported directly to the Operations Manager and was accountable for the financial management of the branch and directing sales efforts
Liased as the primary contact for corporate, body shop and dealership accounts
Examined – more... fleet and sales reports to assess the operational activities of the branch
Investigated and resolved customer service issues to ensure customers expectations were met and in line with corporate standards – less
Productive,fun enviroment
Customer service Specialist (Former Employee), Toronto,OntarioMarch 25, 2013
Pros: hour lunches
Cons: long work days.
Productive and fun environment. Great co-workers.
Love the rental industry.
I enjoyed my employment
Team lead (Former Employee), red deer, abFebruary 2, 2013
worked from 7 am to 6pm most days
that I am really good at customer service and that I needed more staff\
the management was good
I enjoyed my co workers
being in charge and having no training
the customers and the team I worked with
Counter Staff
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), YorkmillsOctober 11, 2012
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 9, 2012
Great stepping stone, knowledge on fashion, learning experience, room for growth
Day of a Customer Service Representative
Service Attendant/Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ON 134 Jarvis St.August 24, 2012
Pros: great knowlegde of the principles of insurance, vehicles, and geography of the territory.
Cons: long hours, performed managerial duties for minimum wage
The day begins with checking the list of customers that reserved a rental car/truck. confirming whether or not the customer will be coming in too pick up the vehicle. i would make sure our vehicle inventory is ready to be rented. make sure the oil has been changed, has windsheild washer fluid, and if the car has been cleaned/detailed.

when a customer – more... comes in to take out a rental car, i make sure the customer has a valid drivers license and as well as a major credit card for a security hold. I also make sure that the customer has the proper insurance to be able drive with peace of mind. once those steps are made, I make sure that customer has a vehicle that meets their needs/wants.

the co-workers are hard- working, relatable , fun people who are willing to share their knowlege of the business and how to deal with certain scenerios.

the hardest part of the job is mulitasking. Discount at the dowtown core area is the busiest branch in Ontario. we have to have the skill to handle upwards of 100+ pickups/returns as well as handling phone calls, and making sure our cars are managed well in our parking lot which holds only 60 cars.

the most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with customers of different age groups, ethnicities/ backrounds. you gain a vast amount of knowlege what happens in the city, driving many different types of vehicles common ad luxurious. – less
Great Job as I enjoy working directly with the public
Client Service Specialist (Former Employee), ScarboroughJuly 12, 2012
•Check customers in and out on RMS. Completes contracts; Admin Duties.
•Customer Service, Phone Skills, Daily driving