Discount Car and Truck Rental Employee Reviews

Environement de travail stimulant
COORDONNATRICE ACHAT VEHICULE-ANALYSTE DE DONNEES (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 October 2017
Discount offre un environnement de travail stimulant riche en échange culturelles.
Discount favorise la conciliation entre vie professionnelle et familiale.
A competitive car and truck rental in north america
Car and truck Rental Agent (Former Employee) –  Gatineau, QC6 July 2017
Discount was my board to the automotive industry, by renting cars and trucks i had developed lots of the sales and marketing skills that conducted me to the car business.
Pros
A well structured team
Cons
salary
the worst company in North America
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 May 2017
I worked for Discount about a year. Most of time i worked over 55 hours a week in Toronto, from 7,30 am til 6.30-7 pm daily + weekends. no breaks. washing cars with hose outdoors in frigid cold, poor equipment in dress pants, tie or suite (since my position was customer agent not car washer). Management is uneducated and doesn't follow basic procedures. Rude and hostile work environment.
Hardest part of the job was working 11-12 hours shifts, and being managed by incompetent managers. Also being forced to wash cars with outdated equipment in awful weather conditions.
Pros
pay on time
Cons
long hours, no breaks, poor salary, hostile bullying environment
If you do not want a life work here
Sales and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2017
Longggggg hours, and not very good pay. Wasnt worth it at all but the management was pretty cool. Every friday they bought us lunch which was also really nice
Pros
Free Lunches
Fun place to work
Service Attendance Car rental (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Great opportunity to get a career as a customer service representative and sales. Worst part of the job is the long hour but the management and worker are amazing and is a fun work environment.
Pros
Free lunchs, good experience
Long hours low pay
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2017
This is a culture where many (though not all) people in management positions and upwards are there because they stayed the longest, not because of their skills and leadership.

Hours are long, over 60/week at times, and the pay is exceptionally poor, especially for Manager in Training positions who are expected to work long hours and do not make overtime. Some employees actually turn down this promotion because they know they will be expected to work above and beyond their 40hrs/week and want to make sure they at least get paid for it.
Pros
Driving nice cars
Cons
No control over the length of your day
Worst Company I Have Worked For
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Greater Toronto Area, ON5 November 2016
Here is the 100% honest truth of what you can expect if you choose working at Discount Car & Truck Rentals as a Customer Service Specialist:

- NO on-the-job training
- Being left alone as early as your first day at work to handle whole branch alone
- Working 100 hours in a two week period and bringing home a pay cheque of less than $1000.
- Absolutely no raises
- Working 12 hour shifts with no breaks
- Performing managerial duties for a mere $12.02/hour
- Having to deal with not having any available cars because the Operations Manager likes to overbook too much and leaves the Customer Service Specialists to deal with the backlash from customers who have reserved a vehicle
- No professionalism by management
- Poorly skilled management
- NO weekends off
- Absolutely NO Work/Life Balance

This is the complete and honest truth about working for Discount. Head Office does not keep in touch with branches to see what's actually going on. They don't realize that the reason their customer service scores are decreasing are because of the poorly run branches and the fact that employees don't care about the company due to the horrible way their treated and paid. This causes everyone to slack off and not follow rules. Nothing has changed after years of the madness and although they say they're fixing problems they never do.
Pros
Busy days makes the time fly
Cons
Long Hours, Low Pay, Poor Management, No Raises, Etc
Lack of career path
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON28 September 2016
Management needs to be better trained and focused on people growth rather then what then can get out of them.

Co workers have a good attitude and always great to work with.
Pros
interesting days, no two are the same
Cons
long hours, Lack of career growth
horrible
driving (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta16 August 2016
Worked as a driver there for about a month. What a joke . All a every heard from customers and staff was complaints. Just a little note was fired and they then sent me a email telling me a quit. Didn't even have the balls to tell me in person. Never ever work for them.
Pros
Cons
everything
horrible work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2016
training is poor at least in western Canada you will be blamed for mistakes you make even when trained wrong
the company never has enough vehicles and management blames staff for this
often spend more time looking for cars then anything
pay is lousy and benefits are not good either
many branches the working conditions are poor you clean cars outside all year round
management seems not to care about your complaints and getting necessities is often difficult
don't expect the bonuses you are promised they are very poor and the system is so skewed you will not get them often anyway
everyone at my branch is job hunting
Pros
it pays
Cons
worst 9 months of my life at work
horrible company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2016
Employed in april for the customer care and reservation specialist. LSCC job title.

worked there for 2 months being bullied and harassed by a co- worker. one year senior and a female called "Yuvonne".

she bossed around without authority and practically doesn't know how to train employees and take care of their development.

3 new employees were hired with me, one who cried while training and was harassed but did not quit.

second, she was human resource employee sister so wasn't messed with.

third was me who faced the bossing around and treated like a loser.

I went to the hr and the manager and told them the problem, but the solution they provided was ridiculous. the solution was no communication between the female co worker and me.

no apology or nothing from anybody, i finally quit and they were absolutely fine with it.

They make you work and expect you to learn everything in 2 days and make no mistakes. if u make mistakes she will again and again compare you with people who they fired in the past.

i hated it every minute. and honestly, anyone sensible enough would quit.
Pros
fancy name
Cons
do not work.
productif et agréable
Reservation and Follow-Up Clerk (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC25 April 2016
c est une compagnie qui concilie travail-famille.
on apprend a travailler en équipe
Pros
bonne compagnie
Fun
Service Attendant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 February 2016
I liked working for Discount car & Truck rental because I had the opportunity to explore the different makes and models of vehicles that would be delivered to our store location, as well as vehicles that needed to get picked up and brought to our store location to be rented out to Discount car & Truck renters.
Horrible place to work at
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 November 2015
Job Work/ Life Balance
- If you are single with no responsibilities and no life, this job is for you. If you have a family or any other priority, you will quit, guaranteed.

Salary/Benefits - They don't pay you enough for the work you do. You do much more than you're asked and appreciated much less.

Job Security - They will fire you within a blink of an eye, you will never know when your last day is. I've seen and heard about many MANY people where that was the case.

Management - It's a joke. I was never trained properly and was left alone to handle a whole store by myself with other newbies. At my time most managers in the territory left, I wonder why.

Job Culture - Rather than working as a team everyone is out to get one another. It's really sad to see what happens and what the environment can cause you and your health.

A typical day at work? Come in early, leave late, be stressed out about cars, have customers yell at you all day long because they have planned a trip and booked a car over a month ago and you are not able to give it to them because it's for a insurance customer or a corporate account. No one helps you with a car, you can't plan your days or hold onto cars. I can go on and on.. but I hope you get the point!
Pros
Nothing at all.
Cons
Everything about it. When you go above your manager to discuss your conflicts, it comes back to you and nothing is ever done about it, EVER until you quit.
productive and supportive work environment
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  North York, ON15 September 2015
during my time at Discount, i found it to be a supportive and productive work environment. Management was always willing to listen
Great company to work with
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2015
Busy work place with longing hours. You get a chance with build your own team. the most enjoyable part of the no day is the same day everyday is different. you get to drive different cars.
Pros
great team to work with
Cons
Long working hours
Nice People
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Oakville18 December 2014
Very genuine people and managers, nice place. Really competitive market.
One of the worst places to work in Canada
Client Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto26 October 2014
You work from 7am to 6pm on most days. You also work Monday to Saturday, but they reset the pay period on Friday so Saturday is not overtime.
You will get yelled at by people who have to wait for their rental cars due to cars not being available. You will have to clean cars, and pick up customers as if you are a taxi driver on a regular basis. Which would be no problem, except they advertise it as an office position and expect you to dress as if you work in an office.
You make 12$ an hour, which is just a little above minimum wage. If you ask the people there at-least 90% will say they are applying elsewhere.
No one makes money working here, owners (private owned) have a business model setup primarily for their benefit.
You get to drive different cars at least, and the people there are very laid back/don't stick to the rules etc.
Pros
Very hard to get fired from the job
Cons
Long hours, Low pay, high stress
Productive but Long hours
BRANCH MANGER (Current Employee) –  Brampton and Mississauga11 August 2014
Typical day
Daily Audits, check daily branch reports for the previous day, any Customer service issues and if there are any resolve them,

What I learned
I learned and still learning customer service, Over coming customer issues,

Management is good once in a month Lunch is through the company for all the staff,

Co-workers
Co-workers are nice I have a open door policy for them,

Hardest Part of the Job
hardest part is Long hours but if my company needs me I have to provide my best.

Most Enjoyable part,
Drive new and luxury cars and love talking to customers ask them about their overall experience with the company from picking up to dropping off the vehicles.
Hard work with tight deadlines and no support
help desk (Former Employee) –  north york15 July 2014
Arrange objectives for the day repair a lot of equipment and work environment was more like a warehouse.
Pros
close to home