Direct Energy Employee Reviews

Okay work place
Personal EA to President, CEO/Chairman & COO (Former Employee) –  Yonge/Sheppard8 April 2015
Calendar management, reply to e-mail and correspondence (self & bosses), Event Management Board meeting Prep, complex travel bookings, hotel, agendas, meeting prep. edit, proof read and comply presentations,

Personal work - book travel for family, pay bills etc.
Pros
Amazing boss to work for
Cons
Fun and productive company environment.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2015
It was a great company to work at. They have been really helpful when i first started to assist me with fitting into the company.
DE is a good place to work.
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  North York, ON10 September 2015
DE is a good place to work.
Co-workers are great and helpful.
Projects require coordination with multi location offices and third party integrators and clients.
A typical day at Direct Energy
Operations Centre and Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON7 November 2013
I worked for 10 years with the same company and even though they closed our office I feel I big loss...My co-workers where my family outside of my home. I still have contact with a lot of them. My manager was a strong supporter with new task and made sure we had the training needed and was very approachable. The most enjoyable part of my job were the people, from all departments.
Pros
team rewards and community care activities during work hours.
Cons
Office closing
virtual call center
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS2 June 2014
This was a great work from home job, that I enjoyed alot for awhile. This is where I started to learn more about using computers. I met ( virtually) lots of nice people. The company changed its pay structure towards the end which paid less than what I had been earning. It was at this time that I did not renew my contract.
Pros
pick own schedule, work from home, earning potential
Cons
job security, lack of personal contact
great place, if you want to work all the time and ignore your family.
Energy Management Consultant (resi HVAC Sales) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa22 January 2013
Very demanding, greedy company. Even record sales figures were not good enough. Lying, conniving management, that would back stab to save their own skin. The only thing that matters to DE is the bottom line. Honesty, employee relations/ value, even customer satisfaction is secondary.
Pros
occasional free lunch, some decent co-workers
Cons
long hours, misguided management, lack of respect
Reactive, tactical and operationally short-term focused organization
Director, Customer Relationship Management (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 March 2014
Advice to Management:
Listen to your customers - they pay your salaries
Listen to your employees - they service and support your customers
Invest in fact-based insights, analytics and research
Leverage fact-based insights to make informed business decisions
Be more forthcoming, transparent and timely with top down communications
Pros
Good work environment, Good team oriented attitude, Good company benefits
Cons
Constant cyclical and ineffective change, Lack of thought leadership, vision, and strategy, Inadequate, infrequent and vague top down communications, Performance evaluation program lacks adequate time investment by management
Productive work place with table tennis, coffee
Purchasing Manager/Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2014
A typical working day starts at 4:00 am, coffee, prepare for the day, then gone before 6:30. During my drive to work, I plan the order of my requirements to be completed. I have been known to stay until the midnight hour to ensure all customers expectations are met. Dedicated, hard working, my door always open. All is achievable, with the right attitude, and the right people.
Pros
Global exposure
Cons
no cons
OK place to work for
Front End Developer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 July 2015
Every one I worked with was pretty cool and knew there stuff. Im sill in touch with some of my old coworkers too. Management was so-so but still ok to work with.
Pros
My staff was qualified
Cons
Management is aloof, but workable
A fun place to work and with excellent people and balancing work and personal life
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  North York28 February 2013
Administration of payroll full cycle for about 900+ employees using Ceridian HPL
System administrator for Time Solution
submission of sales tax returns
Very friendly environment
Understanding higher management
Opportunities of learning system by in-house training team
Subsidized gym membership and parking
Enjoyable Team Member made the day go by fast
Customer service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 December 2012
Experience working with people of different ages and backgrounds
worked in a fun team environment got along with staff the hardest part is working with customers who did not like change and it took alot to convince, other than that it was enjoyable at the end of day knowing my team and myself met the daily expectations.
• Design, develop, implement and maintain software test cases and test plans to evaluate software functionality, performance and defects;
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 June 2012
• Perform requirements analysis to develop or modify moderately complex software applications. Document to standards the functional requirements, use cases and any other requirements
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
poor management
Not somewhere for long term
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTITIVE (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON8 June 2015
Personally, handling the management at this establishment was something I would never do again. Though I had so many great coworkers, we all had the same thing in common, the job was not fun and the managers didn't care about you at all.
We all know that call centres are hard to work in, and it probably wouldn't have been so bad if the managers had taken time to actually listen and direct us when we had trouble.
I would say the main thing I enjoyed is that it was an easy job minus the occasional jerk on the phone and the bad management. Sales were easy enough to come by if the person actually needed the services, and if you didn't push them, but all the management wanted you to do was push sales.
I get it, make money, but no I'm not going to pitch to a woman who just lost her husband or someone with a disability or language who doesn't understand what they're agreeing to.
I'm sorry if you enjoy your position or are looking to work here, but if your lucky, you might have good managers, but most likely, you will have the same type of experience.
Cramped, dirty and dark work place
APAC Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 May 2015
The cubicles were ripped apart, headsets we're stolen from employees, but the pay was wonderful! only left because of bugs.
Pros
Hourly pay + commission
Cons
Long shifts, unsanitary working condition
It is a good company to work with. My supervisor gave me a lot of help to let me know the real trade.
Work Term (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS8 July 2014
I worked with my supervisor everyday in that month. We took phone calls and serviced. although it was really busy, i still love it. I learnt plenty of knowledge that i couldn't get from classroom. I feel i am ready to get into this trade now.
The people were nice to work with. But the company is poorly managed
Director (Current Employee) –  North York, ON21 August 2012
It was a nice pleace to work. the People are friendly and it is a good atmosphere. But the decisions made by management are very questionable to say the least. Compensation is also below industry standards.
Pros
the people and atmosphere
Cons
the management and salaries
Profesional
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  North York, ON5 February 2015
A very busy day and multitask is required to do your job to the best of you ability. I learned to use the companies system and my co-workers make me feel like a family. I enjoyed this job because I did not need supervision as I was well trained.
very structured workplace
refrigeration technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2012
structured enviornment with management applying moral principles and values.

Overall a great place to work and they hold on to employees even during seasonal work shortages .
Pros
work life balance family suited excellent benefits
Cons
poor wages lower than standard
Was an excellent place to work until 2010
Business Continuity Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2012
I really have nothing negative to write about the company from an employment perspective. My only grievance was how head office move/mass lay-off was handled by leadership.
Pros
excellent benefits and vacation time
Cons
poor leadership and low morale
Good Place to Work
Energy Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 March 2014
It was mostly Outside sales, with not much office time. Attended meetings and took sales training courses. Went through a lot of managers in the time I was there.
I enjoyed working there and left on good terms.
Pros
Freedom to do sales calls on my own schedule.
Cons
Working Saturdays