Direct Energy

Direct Energy Employee Reviews

Great Place to work - Direct Energy
Contract Senior Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 3, 2015
The staff, contractor's and leadership were a pleasure to work with.

My typical work day was managing the finances and reporting on DE's largest capital project ever undertaken.

I worked closely with a team primarily out of the Houston office. When I started my role was to gather project costs from 4 different companies and several different cost centres and set up the project under one business unit, create the budget and forecasting models, work closely with the PM to design the monthly reporting package.

The role developed into ensuring milestone schedules and payments were cleared for payment, working closely with purchasing setting up and managing purchase orders, staffing and contractor costs and ensuring costs were properly managed.

A large part of the role was ensuring all monthly accruals were accounted for, drawn up by me, posted and monthly and inception to date variances explained.

Finally there was project close out and capitalization. The entire team had moved on, leaving me to work with fixed assets and management ensuring capitalization was successful.

Hardest part was the gathering of costs into one company as it was up to me alone to locate and ensure all costs were accounted for.

Cow-workers were fabulous to work with, had excellent rapport and were very supportive.

Most enjoyable part of the role was training and mentoring financial analysts from the Houston office, seeing them learn and grow. Project close out was also a great yet rewarding experience.

I learned my experience with multiple personalties proved invaluable, particularly
  more... working the the PM and having to train basic project accounting and various listening and communication styles to more junior people.  less
Pros
People
Cons
Project team turnover
A challenged but "can learn a lot" job
Chief Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCJuly 14, 2014
A typical day at work:
we will drop in designated customers by daily customer list. Usually, we will have to visit at least 40 customer located in different location in the same municipality. To do customer's retention or enroll new cutomers.
What I learned
Interpersonal skill, patince to listen, positioning product, convincing customer, fast spotting location, mapping, safe driving and delivering skill, job-related knowledge, paper work, etc
including mapping for team member, customer-related documents organization, mentor and inspire entry level sale representative, control cost for daily work and road trip , monitor and struggle for sales target, etc
My co-worker
When we start daily work, we usually work independently, after a daily work, we will share our experince in dealing with different customers and different incidences etc. We also will encourage each other to achieve our monthly goal
The hardest part of the job
Is to explain our selling product's shortage.
The most enjoyable part of the job
is to make new friends and knowing different municipality every day.
Pros
commission based
Cons
no limit for the income
Not somewhere for long term
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTITIVE (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ONJune 8, 2015
Personally, handling the management at this establishment was something I would never do again. Though I had so many great coworkers, we all had the same thing in common, the job was not fun and the managers didn't care about you at all.
We all know that call centres are hard to work in, and it probably wouldn't have been so bad if the managers had taken time to actually listen and direct us when we had trouble.
I would say the main thing I enjoyed is that it was an easy job minus the occasional jerk on the phone and the bad management. Sales were easy enough to come by if the person actually needed the services, and if you didn't push them, but all the management wanted you to do was push sales.
I get it, make money, but no I'm not going to pitch to a woman who just lost her husband or someone with a disability or language who doesn't understand what they're agreeing to.
I'm sorry if you enjoy your position or are looking to work here, but if your lucky, you might have good managers, but most likely, you will have the same type of experience.
Door to door sales
Sales Manager/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 16, 2016
A typical day consisted of morning meetings. We would than head out to a designated area where we would offer our services to potential customers in that area.

I learned to keep things from becoming personal. Some people do not like door to door persons so they would slam doors in my face. However; I would not allow this to affect my mood and proceeded to the next home.

My management team was very happy with my sales that were very consistent, I was given my own company van and a team of 10 trainees to supervise, motivate and make sure they were able to hit their daily quotas.

Then hardest part of my job was motivating my team to keep up their smiles and high spirits when it was very cold outside.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train my team and be able to consider them my friends. The respect they had for me was amazing and inspired me to be better.
Pros
Short hours when quota was met
Cons
Cold Weather
good place to work at and get experiance
Call Centre Supervisor (Current Employee) –  hamilton, onMarch 23, 2015
arrive early and got through all the emails and all the updates for the day.

while co workers slowly arrive try to catch up with them and see how they are doing any new thoughts.

and start working see how many new complains do investigation on the file see what can be offered to the customer and what needs to be done who needs to be contacted and if any tech needs to go back-out.

call the customer after 9am offer your promo and apologizes for any issues it caused and tell them what I will do for them and offer them.

follow up with them few days later make sure everything went well and customer is happy.

\
the hardest is when you really try and do everything you can in your power and the customer is still not happy and starts screaming and yelling and swearing at you, but that's life and you are still nice and friendly to them.
Reactive, tactical and operationally short-term focused organization
Director, Customer Relationship Management (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 26, 2014
Advice to Management:
Listen to your customers - they pay your salaries
Listen to your employees - they service and support your customers
Invest in fact-based insights, analytics and research
Leverage fact-based insights to make informed business decisions
Be more forthcoming, transparent and timely with top down communications
Pros
good work environment, good team oriented attitude, good company benefits
Cons
constant cyclical and ineffective change, lack of thought leadership, vision, and strategy, inadequate, infrequent and vague top down communications, performance evaluation program lacks adequate time investment by management
Direct Energy was a very good at allowing employees to participate in projects and encouraging to take courses to improve their knowledge
Accounts Payable Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 18, 2015
supervised team of eight (three in Canada and five in India)
I learned a considerable amount of the workings of the energy industry
reviewed entries
ran daily payment run cheque, EFT, ACH, wire
completed monthly reports
liaised with auditors both internal and external
resolved all issues with both internal and external vendors/customers
part of several large projects, (changing systems to SAP, changing banking services)
A typical day at Direct Energy
Operations Centre and Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONNovember 7, 2013
I worked for 10 years with the same company and even though they closed our office I feel I big loss...My co-workers where my family outside of my home. I still have contact with a lot of them. My manager was a strong supporter with new task and made sure we had the training needed and was very approachable. The most enjoyable part of my job were the people, from all departments.
Pros
team rewards and community care activities during work hours.
Cons
office closing
great place, if you want to work all the time and ignore your family.
Energy Management Consultant (resi HVAC Sales) (Former Employee) –  OttawaJanuary 22, 2013
Very demanding, greedy company. Even record sales figures were not good enough. Lying, conniving management, that would back stab to save their own skin. The only thing that matters to DE is the bottom line. Honesty, employee relations/ value, even customer satisfaction is secondary.
Pros
occasional free lunch, some decent co-workers
Cons
long hours, misguided management, lack of respect
high energy,great management, amazing encounter
Crew manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 16, 2016
a typical day is an office full of about 20-30 body's all wanting the same thing to live there dream. during my time with the company iv learned how to be a better sales rep, better manager. hards part of any sales reps day is getting (No's) as i tell my guys its a numbers game and behind all the (No's) you will find the (YES).
the most enjoyable part of my day is helping or to hear that one of my guys closed a deal.
Pros
high income
Cons
Productive work place with table tennis, coffee
Purchasing Manager/Agent (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2014
A typical working day starts at 4:00 am, coffee, prepare for the day, then gone before 6:30. During my drive to work, I plan the order of my requirements to be completed. I have been known to stay until the midnight hour to ensure all customers expectations are met. Dedicated, hard working, my door always open. All is achievable, with the right attitude, and the right people.
Pros
global exposure
Cons
no cons
Actual Working For Protocol on behalf of Direct Energy
Inbound Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  HamiltonMarch 9, 2015
Protocol is literally highschool with people of all ages - mostly early 20's. They are more about the social environment there than there work. As for the Managers they are completely unqualified for their jobs and achieved them by being the best out of a terribly trained bunch of individuals. If you would like to work at a place that makes sense, do not work here.
A fun place to work and with excellent people and balancing work and personal life
Sr. Payroll Administrator (Former Employee) –  North YorkFebruary 28, 2013
Administration of payroll full cycle for about 900+ employees using Ceridian HPL
System administrator for Time Solution
submission of sales tax returns
Very friendly environment
Understanding higher management
Opportunities of learning system by in-house training team
Subsidized gym membership and parking
Enjoyable Team Member made the day go by fast
Customer service/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 12, 2012
Experience working with people of different ages and backgrounds
worked in a fun team environment got along with staff the hardest part is working with customers who did not like change and it took alot to convince, other than that it was enjoyable at the end of day knowing my team and myself met the daily expectations.
• Design, develop, implement and maintain software test cases and test plans to evaluate software functionality, performance and defects;
Database Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 27, 2012
• Perform requirements analysis to develop or modify moderately complex software applications. Document to standards the functional requirements, use cases and any other requirements
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
poor management
N/A
Workforce Management Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONAugust 31, 2015
Provided schedules, forecast and reports for the Workforce Planning and Operations team of 800 employees. This includes identifying short, medium and long term capacity planning for internal staff, and contractors, and proactively identifying solutions when resources do not match demand. Monitor reports on current and future capacity.
Okay work place
Personal EA to President, CEO/Chairman & COO (Former Employee) –  Yonge/SheppardApril 8, 2015
Calendar management, reply to e-mail and correspondence (self & bosses), Event Management Board meeting Prep, complex travel bookings, hotel, agendas, meeting prep. edit, proof read and comply presentations,

Personal work - book travel for family, pay bills etc.
Pros
Amazing boss to work for
Cons
The people were nice to work with. But the company is poorly managed
Director (Current Employee) –  North York, ONAugust 21, 2012
It was a nice pleace to work. the People are friendly and it is a good atmosphere. But the decisions made by management are very questionable to say the least. Compensation is also below industry standards.
Pros
the people and atmosphere
Cons
the management and salaries
It is a good company to work with. My supervisor gave me a lot of help to let me know the real trade.
Work Term (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NSJuly 8, 2014
I worked with my supervisor everyday in that month. We took phone calls and serviced. although it was really busy, i still love it. I learnt plenty of knowledge that i couldn't get from classroom. I feel i am ready to get into this trade now.
Supportive and friendly work environment
G2 Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 13, 2015
Great location to work. Amazing management and very flexible workload. Training constantly provided. Would recumbent to anyone in the trade if they are willing to get dirty and work in high pressure enviornment
Pros
Opportunity for high income
Cons
Rushed Enviornment