Direct Energy Employee Reviews

Enjoyable job.
Manager HSE for all of Canada operations (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 November 2016
People are fun to work with.
Hardest part of my job was trying to play catch-up on paperwork.
Learnt a lot about management systems.
Meeting people form different areas of the business.
Pros
Travel
Cons
Work piled up when you return
Door to door sales
Sales Manager/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 January 2016
A typical day consisted of morning meetings. We would than head out to a designated area where we would offer our services to potential customers in that area.

I learned to keep things from becoming personal. Some people do not like door to door persons so they would slam doors in my face. However; I would not allow this to affect my mood and proceeded to the next home.

My management team was very happy with my sales that were very consistent, I was given my own company van and a team of 10 trainees to supervise, motivate and make sure they were able to hit their daily quotas.

Then hardest part of my job was motivating my team to keep up their smiles and high spirits when it was very cold outside.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to train my team and be able to consider them my friends. The respect they had for me was amazing and inspired me to be better.
Pros
Short hours when quota was met
Cons
Cold Weather
not good
Technical support (Former Employee) –  MontrĂ©al, QC31 October 2016
it was a bad experience wife was pregnant and i got laid off one month before the baby was born which was a bummer but life moves on and i got a better job
Sales and customer service
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 September 2016
It was a great place to work at. I found it a great pleasure and dealing with different type of people was rewarding. If would be my pleasure to work there again.
Challenging & productive Great Team
Senior Accounts Payable Analyst- Full time (Former Employee) –  Calgary Alberta26 February 2016
Organized, very busy, great Team Work & enjoyable, Co-workers terrific & helpful management average, Challenging.

Company constantly creating new chALLENGES (EX) Born Losers challenge- give ideas to help company in the future. Water challenge - health & body.
Pros
different challenges
Cons
new system, sometime not user friendly
Great
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto25 August 2016
Fantastic company, nice to work, excellent environment, nice learning opportunities, the hardest part of this job is that it is on commison basis, most enjoyable part of this job is door to door sales.
Great company
Accounts Receivable/Billing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2016
Direct Energy, it's an excellent company.

Unfortunately my department was moved to the US, and I got lay off.

Have a great experience all these years and learn a lot.
long
Helper/Installer. (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 August 2016
The job wasn't that good with pay, and or hours. The amount of work you got wasn't a lot and it was too demanding, they worked you like dogs and expected too much.
Great
install (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 September 2016
Was able to climb the latter as long as i showed hard work and dedication. Managed to finish my jobs fast and get off work earlier.
high energy,great management, amazing encounter
Crew manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2016
a typical day is an office full of about 20-30 body's all wanting the same thing to live there dream. during my time with the company iv learned how to be a better sales rep, better manager. hards part of any sales reps day is getting (No's) as i tell my guys its a numbers game and behind all the (No's) you will find the (YES).
the most enjoyable part of my day is helping or to hear that one of my guys closed a deal.
Pros
high income
Cons
Excellent fun place to work
Snr. Program Manager (Security & Infrastructure) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 February 2016
Amazing Team work, Management folks are friendly, knowledgeable and respectful.

If I'll get an opportunity, I will provide my Services again.
Reactive, tactical and operationally short-term focused organization
Director, Customer Relationship Management (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 March 2014
Advice to Management:
Listen to your customers - they pay your salaries
Listen to your employees - they service and support your customers
Invest in fact-based insights, analytics and research
Leverage fact-based insights to make informed business decisions
Be more forthcoming, transparent and timely with top down communications
Pros
Good work environment, Good team oriented attitude, Good company benefits
Cons
Constant cyclical and ineffective change, Lack of thought leadership, vision, and strategy, Inadequate, infrequent and vague top down communications, Performance evaluation program lacks adequate time investment by management
I had to pursued Ontario's residence to vote for the Liberals
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON16 March 2016
I call home owners from across Ontario and told why they should vote for the Liberals party. I work from 8 hours a 7 days a week.
Pros
I spoke with some really nice people.
Cons
I spoke with some really mean people
Work Environment was good.
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto2 March 2016
The office environment was good. Only draw-back was that the Operations manager was never there. Was hired on contract and contract was never renewed.
very structured workplace
refrigeration technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 May 2012
structured enviornment with management applying moral principles and values.

Overall a great place to work and they hold on to employees even during seasonal work shortages .
Pros
work life balance family suited excellent benefits
Cons
poor wages lower than standard
Okay work place
Personal EA to President, CEO/Chairman & COO (Former Employee) –  Yonge/Sheppard8 April 2015
Calendar management, reply to e-mail and correspondence (self & bosses), Event Management Board meeting Prep, complex travel bookings, hotel, agendas, meeting prep. edit, proof read and comply presentations,

Personal work - book travel for family, pay bills etc.
Pros
Amazing boss to work for
Cons
great place, if you want to work all the time and ignore your family.
Energy Management Consultant (resi HVAC Sales) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa22 January 2013
Very demanding, greedy company. Even record sales figures were not good enough. Lying, conniving management, that would back stab to save their own skin. The only thing that matters to DE is the bottom line. Honesty, employee relations/ value, even customer satisfaction is secondary.
Pros
occasional free lunch, some decent co-workers
Cons
long hours, misguided management, lack of respect
Not somewhere for long term
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTITIVE (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON8 June 2015
Personally, handling the management at this establishment was something I would never do again. Though I had so many great coworkers, we all had the same thing in common, the job was not fun and the managers didn't care about you at all.
We all know that call centres are hard to work in, and it probably wouldn't have been so bad if the managers had taken time to actually listen and direct us when we had trouble.
I would say the main thing I enjoyed is that it was an easy job minus the occasional jerk on the phone and the bad management. Sales were easy enough to come by if the person actually needed the services, and if you didn't push them, but all the management wanted you to do was push sales.
I get it, make money, but no I'm not going to pitch to a woman who just lost her husband or someone with a disability or language who doesn't understand what they're agreeing to.
I'm sorry if you enjoy your position or are looking to work here, but if your lucky, you might have good managers, but most likely, you will have the same type of experience.
Awful
Head, IS Governance (Former Employee) –  Toronto14 September 2012
Do as I say not as i do is the management mantra. Too busy and leadership team is terrible. No integrity.
Pros
good compensation
Cons
no work life balance or understanding of technology.
Supportive and friendly work environment
G2 Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2015
Great location to work. Amazing management and very flexible workload. Training constantly provided. Would recumbent to anyone in the trade if they are willing to get dirty and work in high pressure enviornment
Pros
Opportunity for high income
Cons
Rushed Enviornment