Dimension Data Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and technology-driven environment
Remote Citrix Engineer (Current Employee), Bryanston, GPOctober 11, 2013
Professional Experience

Accomplished IT professional with more than 5 years of distinguished performance in the technology-driven industries and broad-based background incorporates exceptional work ethic and commitment to organizational objectives. Proactive individual with team-building and tactical ability to develop and destroy what is no longer relevant for a business operation. In my final year of degree studies I was appointed a post of a Mentor to assist and coach students in their course related matters in university and Junior Lecturer facilitating programming basics and information technology skills. I possess software development and technical proficiencies.

Skills

- Strong knowledge of SQL and Oracle PL/SQL development.
- SQL, Oracle, BI, Data Analysis & C# programming knowledge.
- Strong relational database development.

Representative Achievement

My biggest achievement was when I led a successful research team to develop a mobile solution for home-base care in Cape Town Township with a view of transforming lives of hapless children living on a street and also had my own research article for postgraduate level approved and published from Cape Peninsula University of Technology academic research book. My current research is under Healthcare Information Systems in the RSA public healthcare sector (More details cannot be disclosed until approved).
My career path is based on a strength that I often ensure to provide fulfilment and satisfaction. What I like most is being in a position that brings out constructive and passion from within. I do welcome challenges and – more... always commit myself to remain dedicated in the face of every challenge. I’m someone who always has hunger for knowledge that cannot be satisfied. I’m heading towards PhD degree level in Information Technology and still feel like my goal will not be reached after the completion. I value tremendous knowledge and always take intellectual work very seriously. – less
Global Company in the IT services and solutions arena
Inside Sales/Client Support & Procurement (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCMarch 13, 2014
My experience was great as I developed in many areas servicing various multinational corporations and provided their technology and support requirements. I learned many things while supporting these high touch clients and vendors, most notably the importance of communication and collaboration on projects of all scales. Management provided many learning tools, training classes and group sessions to assist in equipping employees to develop personally and provide superior service to clients, partners and vendors along with internal organisations. I've established relationships with some co-workers that will last for years to come and I feel like some are like family. The hardest part of the job at times was some of the departments that I worked with not understanding the corporate structure that was in place and my attempts to influence them in some areas weren't successful as I preferred. The most enjoyable part was after a major deal was successfully closed; seeing the weeks and months of hard work paying off in a happy client. Below are some daily task that I functioned in on a continual basis.

• Respond to and complete all incoming quote requests for products and attached services from assigned customers and quota-carrying sales staff.

• Maintain all quote and order SLAs as set by CSR department.

• Respond to all incoming calls from clients regarding product availability, order status, and invoicing/billing questions.

• Place and manage expedited orders when requested, based on product availability and shipping requirements.

• Coordinate RMA requests from clients with – more... Finance department.

• Maintain all quote and order SLAs as set by CSR department.

• Coordinate RMA requests from clients with Finance department.

• Receive and process all purchase orders for product with attached services for all assigned clients

• Verify and ensure accuracy of all client POs.

• Deliver timely and high quality oral & written communications with clients, vendors, distributors, sales and sales managers as it relates to all quotations and orders. – less
Silo centric and challenging to work as a team towards real outcomes
Business Development Manager - Managed Services (Current Employee), 11-1& Dorcas Street, South Melbourne, Vic 3001August 3, 2015
Pros: Working with experienced and skillful co-workers. Good super/ insurance scheme
Cons: Very silo based culture and uninspiring upper mangement
The company has 3x general sales team "commit" meetings and 2x internal Line of Business meetings to confirm deals closing for the current month as well as at least 2x mandatory webex "product update' conferences and at least 2x 'partner' product/ services presentations every week. Also, a compulsory meeting and presentation with the 'opportunity review board' for every deal worth >$100K GP and 3 formal stages for sale pricing approval. As such, a typical day can be quite frustrating and consists of trying to fit in customer and opportunity development/ close time around at least 3x mandatory internal meetings.

Thanks to its strong Cisco re-seller background and a recent acquisition spree, DD has some good IT solution offerings in the Connectivity, Cloud and Real time threat management space,

The senior leadership and management team comprise resources that have been with DD for over 15 years, so do not have the wider perspective and cross pollination skills that comes from working with other companies that helps with achieving the agility and flexibility demanded by the current customer base.

DD has some very smart, experienced and skilfull resources who are a pleasure to associate with as co-workers.

The hardest part of the job is trying to overcome the deeply ingrained silo based culture and trying to get all stakeholder resources and line mangers to work as a team towards a common productive purpose.

The most enjoyable part of the job is discussing the business problem with the customer, crafting a suitable potential solution with the pre-sales – more... & product specialist teams and delivering the win-win outcomes for the customer and DD as promised. . – less
Micro-managed to the fullest
Service Desk Associate (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCNovember 9, 2014
Pros: pay, technology, 1 hour lunch breaks, plenty of eateries nearby
Cons: management, fake people, disorganization, being micro-managed.
My brief time at Dimension Data in Charlotte was a time of great stress and minimal direction. I was thrust into onto the phones in the GSC (as a Service Desk Agent) after only an hour of shadowing another employee.

The manager at the time was grossly unqualified - I think she was hired because of her looks. In any event, if you get lost and have a question she's going to refer you to the "specific process" document for whatever task you're attempting. This was largely because she didn't know what she was doing.

Also, EVERY client has a different process for everything so good luck with that. you better take excellent notes and perhaps create a spread sheet to keep track of it all.

The people were friendly enough. The Pay was nice.

My time with the company ended when I was close to getting a shift change. The incompetent manager listed above found out about this by trolling my chat logs with the other shift manager and created a week long saga that included 2 face-to-face meetings with her.

If you do work here, be prepared to kiss management's back side and be talked down to on a consistent basis. Be prepared to never know what you're doing right while well informed on everything you do wrong.
***You've been warned***
Engineering (Current Employee), FramingtonAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Fun people, decent benefits
Cons: Low paying for the industry / MICRO-management / dead end - no growth potential.
The people are nice and say the correct things.
Most co-workers are nice and easy to get along with.
The job is a piece of cake and allows you to work from home some of the time.
They claim they want to see you succeed but there's no formal training provided and very little in house training.
Office politics are high because people want to keep the focus off their inability to manage.
I normally stay clear of these outdated little companies and I was recently reminded why.
NO process documentation so you can be arm chair quarterbacked later.
The good old boy / girl network at play.
The management is the worst I've seen thus far and I've seen bad management before. (people playing the game collecting a check, nothing really to offer).
I'm still trying to figure what the company sells and how they dupe companies in to purchasing the service.
I've seen employee turnover of 25% in less than a year.
People either leave or switch departments (if they have relationships inside the company).
It's a temporary stop for any talented professionals.
The job security is high because who would want to stay.
If you can handle the BS then this is the place for you!!!
Outsourced (from Standard bank to Dimension Data)
Remote support technician (Service desk) (Former Employee), JHBMarch 27, 2013
Pros: fast pace company
Cons: poor management methodologies
At first glance moving from the banking industry to a more refined field of Information Technology in the form of a I.T. company excited me to my core, dispite it being under the outsourcing banner. While responsible for the day to day desktop support at the bank, moving to a I.T. company would both increase my knowledge and skills in my profession and also give me a wider range of choice to advance in my I.T. carreer. However, that being said i frowned at my new role in the new company as in my view it was a step backwards in my carreer, moving from a senior desktop engineer to a service desk technician. Dispite being the only senior engineer on the team & having the privilegde of training and leading the rest of the team with my skills and knowledge i was unable to endure the harsh & regit atmosphere of a service desk and coupled with a poor management methodology increased my feeling of stagnation and hindrance to growth in my carreer.
The Overall atmosphere of the company as a whole seemed great, and ex colluegues who were outsourced too seemed to excell in the various "other" departments they were placed in where i longed to be part of such great teams.
I now seek a company that can give me just that: an open minded management methodology who can enhance the growth and potential of tallented individuals such as myself. Dimension Data could have been great but i was wrongly placed and had to move on.

I am a deadline driven, open minded & fast paced individual who seeks carreer growth.
A broader perspective in IT Infrastructure is when a company has proper structured business analysis in architecture and designing they system format
Remote monitoring solutions engineer (Former Employee), Johannesburg North, GPNovember 30, 2013
Pros: would be beneficila moreover working flexible hours
Cons: 24x7 engineers
iWorking as as RMS engineer was very challenging typically working with live scomms and server moreover they're criticality and priority, what was more challenging was process being followed as it would impact the business badly should one didnt comply but enjoyable challenging and gaining experience everyday working with solutions architects and database engineers and oracle technicians.team work was a must which made it a great enviroment to work in,this industry has enhance me tremendously that i have embarked myself.

Currently studing SQL database developement in 2012. My interests are furthering my studies in MCSE- Microsoft Solution Expert - in Business Intelligence.
Addionally i have been accredited with designation from the Chartered Institute of IT professionalism.(ICITP)

My ultimate goal is a career in SQL as my interests and inclinations lead me to believe that I can excel in this field. I would like to work in an organization where I can apply my knowledge, abilities and creative thinking in a practical way. I am highly motivated and accept responsibility and develop myself professionally and academically.
Professional, complex yet fun place to work in
Associate Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee), GautengFebruary 12, 2013
Pros: training and career development opportunities
Cons: extensive experience is required for progression
This is an excellent place to work in as it exposes one to many complex ICT problems and solutions at the same time, working with all departments in the organisation to ensure client satisfaction is a priceless reward and a motivation for any client facing employees.

The culture of team work, sharing ideas, knowledge and resources in order to deliver the desired goals and objectives is one i would makes ones job easier to do.

Working with people of different age groups, backgrounds, cultures, experience is the most enjoyable part of the job, as you are exposed to different experiences and different behavioural patterns on a daily bases.

The most challeging part of the job would have to be working with different departments and senior individuals in those environment, needless to say that as a young african woman is this space one has constantly has to prove themselves and work extra hard to achieve objectives.

As a young south african woman who easily adapts to change, I am constantly looking at ways to grow and enhance my career and experience, and one of many ways to do this is to work in different environments, be exposed to different working environments and management styles, different IT products and solutions offered in the industry.
DIMENSION DATA STAFF REVIEW
COLLECTIONS/RELATIONSHIP OFFICER (Current Employee), LagosSeptember 26, 2013
Pros: free quarterly outings, commisions and allowances
Cons: the cons are just the bit of extra energy you have to put in to see tasks through.
Work is conducted in a very professional yet accomodating environment.Resumption is by 8a.m and Departure by 5p.m.I have been able to enhance my customer relationship/management skills as well as being able to meet targets with ease that seemed originally onerous.The management is very down to earth and relational in their disposition to the staffs.They employ all manner of methoids and strategies to better your output capacity while not compromising on your personal life.The hardest parts came when I joined newly.I had to learn the art of patience with customers,something that I found a bit strange then but which I am coping greatly with now.The periodic relaxation meetings and tours are quite enjoyable and rejuvenating from a mental as well as leisure standpoint.
Working enviroment
Support Technician /Change Control administrator (Current Employee), BrayonstonNovember 9, 2012
Pros: internet all social networks you tube and live streaming is not block
Cons: i dont agree with cost to company salary structure
When I walk into the office 30 minutes prior to my contract time which is 8-5
First thing when i am logged on to my machine is to follow up on my call queue at the same time I have a look at my e-mails should I need to correspond to clients ,Once I am settled in I take out my headphones and listen to Highvelt from my laptop since internet streaming is open on our network it allows me to do my job effectively at the same I know whats happening around me ,
when I do brake we have a Pool table and a lovely chill areawith DSTV and a sports channel .After i have managed all my change Request that needs to go the change analysis process for impact assessment ,approval an release management, I follow up on my support calls as well
Productive invironment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee), JohannessbirgJuly 5, 2012
Pros: ddu online study base
Cons: none that i can think of
My typical day at work consists of assisting users, mainly password resets and updating information on the AD systems

And I am learning patience, because with the lie of work I’m in now the users we support at times you need that bit of patience to successfully resolve users problem.

Management, well from what I have experienced is that the management has an open door policy and we maintain Constance communication with our manager of which it’s a good thing

And my co-workers are always ready and willing to assist if you get stuck with an issue or need assistance resolving users query

The hardest part of the job, I would say when you know that you can assist the user and you having communications breakdown, or lack of resources to assist

And the Enjoyable part of the job, is when you get positive feedback from the clients that you have assistance, and you get a 5star service rating on your survey
"It's a calling"
Account Manager (Former Employee), Gauteng, BryanstonNovember 2, 2015
Pros: Diversity that each day brings
Cons: Sometimes - the "client is not right"
During my past 25 years it is evident that Contact Centres and Customer experience are my passion.

I have occupied roles from agent to GM Customer Centricity and account manager.

The learnings at Hollard and University of Pretoria will be very applicable to this role.

It is very clear that the customer dictates how and when they will be serviced.
We know there is a very clear move to the digital channels.

To have a dedicated role for customer complaints ( maybe customer feedback) is critical.

Every piece of information you receive behind the mask of a complaint is vital information on how to improve your business operations.

There is no better feeling when you can "save" a client and retain that business.

My experience has taught me very well what works and what does not.

Customers are your business and without very clear planning they will dictate your daily events.
With a proper plan in place - you will know how to deal with all customer complaints / feedback.
Fast moving and fun
Business Unit Trainer (Current Employee), Cape Town, WCApril 30, 2014
Pros: good development opportunities
Cons: possible shift work
My day normally starts with planning and organizing what lies ahead for the day. We generally facilitate all information sharing sessions and need to report on this to the business at the end of day. This means that we need to accurately assess the knowledge and skills that we have trained.

This allows for continuous inter-action with our colleagues which is great as this has helped to build my credibility in the business unit. I have become a trusted contact point when it comes to business updates as all department queries are directed to me for clarity and verification.
I work with a team of 3 Trainers and we have managed to become fairly well managed with regards to our daily routines and deliverables.
The most enjoyable part of my job is that I am able to make a difference with regards to imparting new knowledge and skills and then see the colleague grow and prosper in the business.
Productive and Fun working place
Contracts Administrator (Former Employee), Johannesburg, GPOctober 16, 2013
Pros: flexible working hours once in a while
My day should consist of coming to work and completing all of my tasks to the best of my ability for the growth and prosperity of the company that I am working for.
Each day should be embraced with new challenges to broaden your experiences.
Management must take the time to get to know their employess & communicate at all levels proffessionally.
To like your work and be good at it, you have to believe in it and your company, like your colleagues, and respect and feel supported by your boss & teams.I work well withinn a team ad well as and individual.
The hardest part of my job is when deadlines are not met and the clinet is not recieving the service as they should be recieving.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when all tasks are completed professionaly and cistomer satisfaction is recieved. As well as having the sense of accomplishment and job satisfaction. Being recognized by management for displaying excellent work ethics.
involving since you have to deal with different customers
Technical support staff (Former Employee), kenyaOctober 13, 2012
Pros: gaining knowlege
Cons: less pay
My day would start as early as 7.30 latest 8 am
i learned so many things since i was fresh from campus hence got technical expertise on computers.Had a superb supervisor since he wasn't mean in sharing information and was so much understanding hence so nice to work with.
Had nice colleagues too who we shared and assisted each other a lot.The most stressful time was when you get a user who isn't understanding and does not want to follow company policies and actually commands something done as they wish
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you get to learn a new thing in the process of problem solving/troubleshooting and more-so getting a customer satisfied and happy with your job
Productive environment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee), The Gabba Bryanston johannesburgJanuary 14, 2013
Pros: none.
Cons: autocratic management. stringent rules on petty matters.
A typical day at work involves answering calls related to client IT related problems. E.g password resets, server session reloads, mail marshall administration. I have learned how to prioritise my work, how to distinguish between incidents and problems. New Management was rather autocratic. My co-workers give their all at all times and working with them is pure bliss. The hardest part of the job is having to keep users calm when systems go down and they are desperately trying to get work done on their side. The most enjoyable part is resolving client issues and getting to see emails users send in expressing their gratitude for the time taken to assist them. Learning new things is also part of the fun.
A dynamic company based at a great campus environment.
Head of GSC (Current Employee), JohannesburgApril 30, 2014
Pros: awesome campus, great culture.
Cons: currently sales focussed and not client focussed.
Not enough client engagement and opportunity to influence the client experience through thought leadership and innovation.

I've been working in IT Outsourcing for my entire career. It's time for a change and I would love to do something in the social media / marketing / sports related fields.

The hardest part of my job is ensuring that our proposals and contracts are bullet-proof thus preventing any penalties in future. This would be much easier if the client and sales teams sat around a table and agreed on terminology, intent, exclusions etc instead of reverting to the contract via the respective legal teams when things go wrong.
challenging, productive
Client Support Engineer (Current Employee), PhilippinesJanuary 4, 2016
Pros: no need to go office early
Cons: very long hours at work
- typically minimum of 3 to 4hrs. of travel time daily going to work and went home, 8 normal working hrs./ day. 3 to 6 hrs. overtime/day. 3 to 4 hrs. travel time going to client/day. including more or less 8hrs. working hrs.time during weekend.

- learned a lot most likely with recent devices and new technology
- management was great, people and co-workers very supportive.
- the hardest part of the Job was the oncall duty which was no excuses or exemption need. almost of my time spent is at work even at home i need to check my email and monitor and answer calls and text on my phone. daily routine work pressure which also i brought at home.

- enjoyable was traveling on different places.
Desperate Seeking A Job
Project Manager Implementation (Current Employee), Centreville, VANovember 22, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: management favortism, unfair hiring/firing practices, did i mention management
This environment is toxic. Unless you are in the inner circle and well liked you will forever have problems. Do not complain to HR you will wait 6 months for reply that reads. "No issues found" that does not even come from the HR person that was or is handing your concerns. As for calling the ethics hotline yet another joke... I was once called into a meeting and told turn off your phone and do not tape this conversation. In a call to ethics that was discussed so much for safe guarding the employees.
Collaborative and warm environment
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee), Reston VAJanuary 9, 2014
I would look forward to going to work daily. There were six Help Desk Agents on our team, and we all worked together. The amazing thing about working for DD is that each agent complemented one another. I would come in the office first because I took the early shift, and review our mailbox, and also check for other outstanding tickets. Because I came in early I was able to brief the other agents on major outages, and infrastructure changes. Various issues would be reported daily such as, printer issues, Outlook issues, and even password reset request. Although sometimes things were challenging I was able to preserve until a resolution was met.