Diabetes Canada Employee Reviews

Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  London, ON8 February 2018
As a current employee i will say if your afraid of hard work this isn't the job for you, i really enjoy my job, good management, salary is great in 5 months i have received over 700$ in bonuses for my hard work. Fast paced job, ya you might cram alot of hours in a short period tbe reward is having multiple days off, i enjoy the over time pay, couldn't be happier just passed my 6 month Mark and got my raise. Great job all around
Pros
Good money and shifts
fun workplace
Material Handler (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 January 2018
A typical day consisted of a short meeting with the supervisor, which would consist of station and call area assignment, so you would be given the station you were going to work on that particular day and the area you would be calling. After the meeting we would go to our assigned stations and start making calls.

The workplace culture was positive, we were like a family we connected to each and it felt like we had known each other for a long time it was really great.
Bad job
Driver (Former Employee) –  BC12 December 2017
Job is 12-15 hours a day of hard labour in heat and snow. Loading a truck trying to meet impossible quotas. The truck is not maintained and isn’t safe to operate. Donations are wasted and broken and just destroyed. No management support. Dispatching is insulting. They treat you like a child and expect you to dedicate your entire life to the job. Pay is an absolute joke. I worked 2 weeks I make 800$ and my finger tips were bleeding from throwing thousands of 20lb bags. Stay away unless you don’t value your health or sanity
Pros
Paid to exercise
Cons
Everything else.
Great cause
Senior Manager, Strategic Communications (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 October 2017
There is a great deal of commitment at Diabetes Canada to help the millions of Canadians affected by diabetes. This makes the environment compelling. There is an urgent need and everyone is doing their best to make a difference.
good environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2017
I am really glad to be a volunteer in Diabetes association. although it is a very short time to help them with some activities, I learned some of information of this organization.
Excellent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2017
Excellent place to work, great work-life balance, challenging work, the staff are motivated to make a difference to the lives of diabetics.
I would recommend it to anyone
Totally misleading
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 July 2017
I applied and got a job promising part time hours and a "bit" of lifting.
I ended up doing 15 hours a day filling a big truck a few times a day.
I left before my first week was done because I was scheduled for every day of the week at 15 hour days.
The pay was good but it's more work than it's worth.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Misleading hours and type of work
Great cause
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC13 June 2017
I believe in CDA. I have a daughter with diabetes and had used some of the services offered. I answered the phone and booked pickup appointments. It was at times difficult dealing with rude people, but overall I enjoyed helping out this organization.
Pros
part time
Cons
public were often rude
Was good until upper management got involved
Truck Driver (part time) (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 June 2017
The only good thing I can say is the money was good, but you had to work for it. As a part time employee a 14 hour day was not uncommon. It would be a great place to work if upper management would let the office managers do the managing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Upper management
Focused on research, kids camp and public programs and services
Manager, Donor Relations (Former Employee) –  University Ave and Dundas Ave2 June 2017
Managing, coaching and mentoring 5 staff is ongoing to be able to provide the highest service possible to our donors.

Reviewing phone calls and email request is extremely important to maintain current donor information and a clean database.
Pros
Long weekends from Easter to Labour Day are 4 days
Cons
3 hr travel time each day
What I can give to the workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2017
In the workplace I would want to enjoy my time while working, helping customers, and most importantly getting the job done while being safe wherever I work. I would also make sure that the customers are happy and are dealt with first. If I have any questions, I would ask for help.
Pros
Having great coworkers
nice place to work
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 May 2017
relaxed environment
quiet office
nice staff
older people on the day shift
younger people on the night shift
and they also give the option to work from home
Good place of work and coworkers- poor hours,
Cus Ser. Rep (Former Employee) –  explorer Road, Mississauga5 May 2017
It is good place to work, very good guidance and co operation from supervisor & manager. you learn lot by talking with different people and clients for their various problems and needs.

overall it is very strong association having a various departments and personal .
Pros
very cooperative coworkers and managers
Cons
hours are not enough
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB27 March 2017
I go once or 3 times a week to help with basic duties, such as building kits for canvassing, stuffing envelopes and postage stamping the mail.
The hardest part of the job was slowing down when working.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done.
Pros
Got the job done quick
Cons
Too short of hours
Fun work place
Volunteer Interpreter and translator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 March 2017
I worked at the Canadian Diabetes Association for some time on-call as a volunteer. We conducted meeting with the Arabic speaking people to explain how to stay healthy and monitor their Diabetes.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Not getting paid
Summer Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 March 2017
If sitting in a desk all day isn't something a person likes to do, I don't suggest it. It was fun, but it was long hours of not doing much at my computer and not having the best relationship with my employees. The hardest part was learning how to complete my own tasks when I had them.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long house sitting at a desk/ boring
A very nice part time job. I love the independence while driving. Management is bad.
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
This is an awesome part time job. Work is hard and driving can be long ang boring but worth the effort. Management however is a different story. The supervisor/route coordinator does not know how to manage people. Reeks of favoritism. Is not responsive to change and improvement and does not know the routes well. There are problem bins which have been reported as damaged but problems have never been fixed. Bin conditions atrocious sometimes and very unsafe (needles, broken glass) but when you report it the report goes into one ear and out the other.
All they care about is quota!!!
Pros
Independence
Cons
Bad Management
Strong Organization
Truck Driver / Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2017
Excellent organization. Growing pains like any other charity. However opportunity to work with flexible management and understanding staff. Overall an intense work schedule with little room for personal life. Not a career I would recommend to anyone unless they have the same workaholic perspective. Good fit for individuals that seek a business oriented goals driven environment and need little acknowledgement or reassurance.
Would work again.
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Canada17 January 2017
worked as a counselor and loved every day. Always friendly and easy to work for. Would work again. We provided a positive enviroment for children to grow and learn
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Canada11 January 2017
Was Volunteering for Canadian Diabetes Association and working as administrative assistant. Typically day at work includes checking with the supervisor what needs to be done first and then following activities including listings , data entry, cash and credit card transactions, filling up data and other small admin jobs

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diabetes Canada. Our community is ready to answer.