Diabetes Canada Employee Reviews

good environment
Volunteer Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2017
I am really glad to be a volunteer in Diabetes association. although it is a very short time to help them with some activities, I learned some of information of this organization.
Excellent place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 September 2017
Excellent place to work, great work-life balance, challenging work, the staff are motivated to make a difference to the lives of diabetics.
I would recommend it to anyone
Totally misleading
Driver (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 July 2017
I applied and got a job promising part time hours and a "bit" of lifting.
I ended up doing 15 hours a day filling a big truck a few times a day.
I left before my first week was done because I was scheduled for every day of the week at 15 hour days.
The pay was good but it's more work than it's worth.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Misleading hours and type of work
Great cause
Receptionist/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC13 June 2017
I believe in CDA. I have a daughter with diabetes and had used some of the services offered. I answered the phone and booked pickup appointments. It was at times difficult dealing with rude people, but overall I enjoyed helping out this organization.
Pros
part time
Cons
public were often rude
Was good until upper management got involved
Truck Driver (part time) (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 June 2017
The only good thing I can say is the money was good, but you had to work for it. As a part time employee a 14 hour day was not uncommon. It would be a great place to work if upper management would let the office managers do the managing.
Pros
Money
Cons
Upper management
Focused on research, kids camp and public programs and services
Manager, Donor Relations (Former Employee) –  University Ave and Dundas Ave2 June 2017
Managing, coaching and mentoring 5 staff is ongoing to be able to provide the highest service possible to our donors.

Reviewing phone calls and email request is extremely important to maintain current donor information and a clean database.
Pros
Long weekends from Easter to Labour Day are 4 days
Cons
3 hr travel time each day
What I can give to the workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 May 2017
In the workplace I would want to enjoy my time while working, helping customers, and most importantly getting the job done while being safe wherever I work. I would also make sure that the customers are happy and are dealt with first. If I have any questions, I would ask for help.
Pros
Having great coworkers
nice place to work
Telephone Representative (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 May 2017
relaxed environment
quiet office
nice staff
older people on the day shift
younger people on the night shift
and they also give the option to work from home
Good place of work and coworkers- poor hours,
Cus Ser. Rep (Former Employee) –  explorer Road, Mississauga5 May 2017
It is good place to work, very good guidance and co operation from supervisor & manager. you learn lot by talking with different people and clients for their various problems and needs.

overall it is very strong association having a various departments and personal .
Pros
very cooperative coworkers and managers
Cons
hours are not enough
Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB27 March 2017
I go once or 3 times a week to help with basic duties, such as building kits for canvassing, stuffing envelopes and postage stamping the mail.
The hardest part of the job was slowing down when working.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done.
Pros
Got the job done quick
Cons
Too short of hours
Fun work place
Volunteer Interpreter and translator (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON24 March 2017
I worked at the Canadian Diabetes Association for some time on-call as a volunteer. We conducted meeting with the Arabic speaking people to explain how to stay healthy and monitor their Diabetes.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Not getting paid
Summer Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB22 March 2017
If sitting in a desk all day isn't something a person likes to do, I don't suggest it. It was fun, but it was long hours of not doing much at my computer and not having the best relationship with my employees. The hardest part was learning how to complete my own tasks when I had them.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Long house sitting at a desk/ boring
A very nice part time job. I love the independence while driving. Management is bad.
Route Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 February 2017
This is an awesome part time job. Work is hard and driving can be long ang boring but worth the effort. Management however is a different story. The supervisor/route coordinator does not know how to manage people. Reeks of favoritism. Is not responsive to change and improvement and does not know the routes well. There are problem bins which have been reported as damaged but problems have never been fixed. Bin conditions atrocious sometimes and very unsafe (needles, broken glass) but when you report it the report goes into one ear and out the other.
All they care about is quota!!!
Pros
Independence
Cons
Bad Management
Strong Organization
Truck Driver / Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB1 February 2017
Excellent organization. Growing pains like any other charity. However opportunity to work with flexible management and understanding staff. Overall an intense work schedule with little room for personal life. Not a career I would recommend to anyone unless they have the same workaholic perspective. Good fit for individuals that seek a business oriented goals driven environment and need little acknowledgement or reassurance.
Would work again.
Counsellor (Current Employee) –  Canada17 January 2017
worked as a counselor and loved every day. Always friendly and easy to work for. Would work again. We provided a positive enviroment for children to grow and learn
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Canada11 January 2017
Was Volunteering for Canadian Diabetes Association and working as administrative assistant. Typically day at work includes checking with the supervisor what needs to be done first and then following activities including listings , data entry, cash and credit card transactions, filling up data and other small admin jobs
ASSOCIATE PROJECT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 October 2016
Easy way to be able to make a difference in society. Great chance to be able to meet with individuals who care about a very serious cause but difficult to interact with Senior Managers.
Educative
Food Skills Trainer - Contract - (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 June 2016
Spending time with clients, learning about them, their cultures/beliefs

Encouraging them to try different things, think for themselves, expand themselves, trust what they know, network among themselves and their social groups

Educating on nutrition and food issues, how to cook, meal planning, etc
Pros
Clients get to cook and try different foods
Cons
Program needs to be updated, made healthier
enjoy seeing parts of city
Truck Driver road side pickup (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON14 June 2016
driving around picking up good used furniture and clothing
hardest part was meeting the quota required for the day
physically taxing the body
most enjoyable part would have been the opportunity to be out driving throughout the city and/or county
Cons
hard physical demand on body
"Drivers Wanted" permanently printed on each truck – wonder why?
Driver (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2016
The following paragraphs are based on my own experience as a part-time, on-call driver for the Clothesline Programme, and are meant to prepare prospective employees for this position:

– Workweek regularly exceeds 50 hours, where 12-hr shifts are not uncommon. This, while being classified as a part-time worker (i.e., no benefits; no stability);
– Frequently, two or three truckloads of garbage bags full of used clothes, shoes, etc. (totalling 8000 Lbs or more!) need to be transferred in the course of a day as a matter of course;
– Goods are generally dropped off at various Value Village stores in Ottawa, where store managers' attitude towards drivers is unbelievably disrespectful;
– The clothesline operation seems to be based on the presumption that no one would stay in this position for long, and that there would always be a hundred fools out there vying for it for anyone who quits or gets fired, hence:
– Drivers are regularly fired, instantly and callously, with no warning, for any minor incident, however trivial and however irrelevant to the driver's attitude towards safety;
– Dismissal of drivers is conducted according to a protocol which seems to be based on the notion that drivers are simple, potentially violent individuals. It is a humiliating, degrading experience that would haunt one for a long time.
Pros
Customers are generally pleasant and respectful.
Cons
Work terms and conditions for drivers, and management attitude towards drivers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Diabetes Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7