DFI Employee Reviews

Great place!
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK11 April 2017
Starting wage was better than I could have hoped for. People we're great. Only issue I had was being away from home too long. They treat you great here!
Poor morale, terrible management
office (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 April 2017
wow, This place has so many problems. its privately owned so anything goes.. there's a lack of policies/procedures but there's no shortage of office politics and low morale. Employees are treated like a number and are disposed of at any time. the owner is volatile and severely erratic towards both management and employees. most of the ppl in senior leadership don't actually have any real leadership skills or forethought. overall the place has terrible company culture and will probably never change.
Pros
a few good people
Cons
abusive environment, bad culture
Totally bad
Loader Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2017
This company blows, its family run, so if your not with the in crowd you will be out quickly, management is full of stupid people, and if you're smarter than them, again your out quickly!! Stay away from these clowns!!!
Pros
Work
Cons
challenging work, average place to work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 March 2017
Management is par at best.. Everyone gets treated differently depending who you know in the company. Hourly rate for journeyman is low for industry standar..Always big layoffs when it slows down and job security doesn't exist there.. no credit or recognition for all the hard work and hours you put in to get the job complete and unrealistic time frame most of the time..very rarely to you get a pay raise here.. always challenging work and always lots of projects to do..the owner is always around and is never happy, doesn't treat his staff good at all and always go over his management staff.. overall I wouldn't recommend this place to others people
Pros
Challenging, great co workers
Cons
Long hours, low hourly rates, low morale, management
Very low morale
ASSEMBLY TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2017
The work at DFI is challenging and is the best part of the job. The opportunity to design and build truck mounted equipment and cranes and drills is enjoyable. But the deadlines are usually extreme and usually you are not recognized or rewarded for your work.
The management is controlled by a single owner who is abusive to them in front of the workers making their job stressful. Their opinion is disregarded if they are in disagreement with the owner. The result of this is that a few of the quality people that were in management positions have resigned. They do have policies against abuse in the workplace but apparently it doesn't apply to the owner.
Some statutory holidays, like Family Day and Remembrance Day are not given in lieu of the Civic Holiday and Boxing Day. Wages were reduced twice to a total of 7 percent and other incentives were eliminated like bonuses.
Most times a job will be progressing and the owner will stop it or change its parameters along the way causing cost overruns and frustration among workers. He will also go above his managers and assign jobs directly to the workers who must do them despite what they were doing prior to his involvement.
Generally the morale is low among the workers and the managers. Wages and benefits are low and they abide by a 44 hour work week without overtime paid until you go over that time period.
Pros
Challenging Builds
Cons
Low morale
loved the job
Pile Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 January 2017
Go into work gather equipment needed for a job, load onto trailer then tie down and haul it to site, then offload crane and equipment and get rigged up, perform tailgate meeting, FLRA's, Ground disturbance checklists, review drawings and schedules for job, perform jobs as required, rig crane down and load equipment and crane. have to do bill of ladings, field tickets, then haul everything back to Edmonton.
Pros
good experience and get to interact with lots of new people.
Cons
never have a set schedule and for me living in bc its kinda hard to plan anything, and see my family.
Like running your own small business
Business Development/Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Bonnyville, AB10 January 2017
DFI gives you the opportunity to run your branch as your own small business. You are given all the freedom in the world and encouraged to excell.
great chance for advancement
Driller (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB13 December 2016
great chance to advance with in 6 month to a yr u can advance from a swamper to either driller to picker operator. you can even get class 1 with them.
ok
Swamper/Labourer (Former Employee) –  Alberta1 December 2016
Worked as a swamper, drove around a lot and had varying hours depending on how far we had to drive and what we had to do. Drivers were good to work with and working in the shop was fun
Great Company to work for
Communications Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 October 2016
Awesome atmosphere. As well as decent paying job. If we didn't move I would still be working here. Highly recommended to anyone job hunting.
dfi was a good and safe job i had fun
swamper (Former Employee) –  grande cache2 September 2016
I had worked for the Grande Cashe Location, while there I had the chance to experience alot and IT was the safest job i ever worked and you work hard they reword u and the guys that put it down are lazy i was a swamper for a picker truck 33 and i miss the truck and the workers had some good times there
Par at best
Rigger (Former Employee) –  Rycroft, AB11 August 2016
was a ok company to work for but very miss mannaged not only by multiple branch managers but corp decesions were putting off towards customers quality and overall experience with the company. which reflected how much work we actully got.
Good when busy
Boom Truck Operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 July 2016
Work was very varied and lots of travel time, when things were busy we were very busy. Not a whole lot of time off though, unless things were slow in which case we got too much time off. No proper rotation or employee management which is a big downside. Money was good when busy though.
Pros
Travel at full wage.
Cons
No rotation for out of town/province employees.
former rigger
Rigger (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2016
DO NOT WORK HERE... its full of empty promises pay is terrible after their wage cuts you wont have any sort of social life get minimal notice for out of town work. you have to have dispatches permission to have a life.expect to arrive at a sight with a drill or track crane and have it break down....
Pros
Cons
the whole company
Stay away
Labor Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 June 2016
Bad company full of empty promises and always feel like you work in a negative environment VERY LOW PAY compare to other pilling companies stay away from this company !!!
Not Recommended
HET (Former Employee) –  edmonton6 May 2016
Massive company from the outside but it runs on a skeleton crew. Labor takes a hit every time things slow down. Massive layoffs and wage and hourly rollbacks in the last year of staggering proportion. Branches closing. Pretty sketchy maintenance practices at times.
If your looking for long term this is not the place. Bottom of pay scale in all departments especially qualified trades people. They use foreign workers for cheaper labor when possible. The maintenance side runs like a farm operation no planning just damage control.
Pros
Big Facility
Cons
No job stability
Great place to learn and develop skills, and gain experience
Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2016
I started as a surveyor helper and worked my way up to a promotion of party chief. I developed great skills and acquired knowledge needed to do a good job. I worked a 21/7 shift and was able to maintain a healthy work ethic.
productive and very happy work place with free coffee every day
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 March 2016
I was working all the time very happy in that job, learning many things every days and enjoying each day with my co-workers because they was sharing new ideas always, specially my supervisor.
Pros
nice peoples
Cons
have a layoff
overall good place to work
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 February 2016
I found it to be a reasonable place to work although the morale was quite low. More negative comments come from management than positive. Quick to point out mistakes or fault.

I was able to move from welding into an entry level safety position which shows a willingness to allow their workers to move up in the company, or even try another career.

Overall I was treated with respect and was happy to work for DFI.
Pros
Able to advance within the company
Cons
low employee morale
its a job
Heavy Equipment Operator (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 January 2016
only thing u can say about this job its a job thats it

there is nothing to say about ,
'
i could careless about this job lol.... its keeping me working s

thats all i have ti say about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at DFI. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8