Devon Energy

Devon Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Good job security because there is no accountability
Operator (Former Employee) –  Northern AlbertaJanuary 4, 2013
It's so hilarious about the last commenter mentioning how hard they try to tell you - never show you - that they are the best oil company to work for, because I experienced the same thing.

My experience was that management/supervisor expectations for employee performance were very low, and in turn, they expected you to collect a paycheque without showing any ambition to do more.

There is too much of an old boys club in the field; too many supervisors hiring their buddies and far too many complacent Anderson Exploration/Home Oil guys running the show.
Pros
- hourly rates are very good and they are willing to spend money to fix problems
Cons
don't expect a career, it's just a job
Learned alot from this contract, great team work
TDS-Sub Contractor Data Equipment Collector (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 12, 2015
• Walked down all of the clients production sites throughout Alberta and Northern BC, RFID tagging all assets at their gas, oil well and battery sites
• Close attention to detail and inputting information collected into a data base such as catapult for inventory requisition.
Working for Devon Energy
Well Pad Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABOctober 31, 2015
I loved my teammates/buddies/2nd family at Devon Energy!! This is the hardest part of losing my job. Not only was my job enjoyable and had great bosses and co-workers from operations, trades to all other contractors. I loved being there and it's tough getting laid off there after nearly 4.5 years.
Pros
Great crews!
Cons
Getting laid off.
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Pros
free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons
not always opportunities given for advancement.
Great company to work for.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo Lake, ABNovember 3, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Devon, but because of the fall in oil prices the company has had to re structure therefore laying myself and a number of other employees.
Pros
Great camp, no hot bunking
Cons
Being away from home for seven days
Great place for a college student to learn about office work.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 15, 2015
A typical day at work always changed for me. I got to enter time sheet, enter inspection reports, and did lots of filling. I learned how a office environment was all about. I never really got to meet the company management, but the lady I worked under was very pleasant to work for. Co-workers were very pleasant and always willing to help me with anything I had questions about. I can't think of anything that would have been the hardest as I was only doing it as work experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to the Devon Gas Plant and getting a tour then working for a few hours in the office.
I love my team
Contract Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 24, 2015
I enjoy going to work as everyday I learn something new. The people on my team mentor and are very supportive. The company encourages education and growth.
Fun environment
Assistant Plant Operator (Practicum) (Former Employee) –  Fairview, ABAugust 2, 2013
Its a rotating shift work with 12 hours per shift, 28 days rotation. I learned Natural Gas process from wells to sales. The management were nice, they are very concerned about safety of individual. My mentors were great, taught me safety procedures, like doing repairs. They are very supportive. Hardest part of the Job is you have to work in any type of weather condition but I dont mind it. The most enjoyable part of this job is everyday challenge. You have to use all your senses.
Pros
profit sharing for regular employees
Cons
no pay for practicum students
Guys on the floor are good but management is very poor.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB. Jackfish plantsJune 30, 2014
Work was good, camp was good, pay was good but the management was terrible. The always made empty promises and never ever had your back. If you had an opinion you better keep it to yourself or be prepared to look for work. If you get on the wrong side of a boss they will just get rid of you even if you are a good worker and don't cause problems because you think for yourself. I worked there for 4 years and saw 4 people get let go with a cheque and no good reason to have left.
Pros
time off and pay
Cons
management
Great place to work as long as you don't mind being treated with a kindergarten mentality.
Competent, hard worker. (Former Employee) –  CalgarySeptember 23, 2012
Hmmm. Great place to work until 2009. Open door policy?...........
Hmmm.... Don't even think about rocking the boat. "Cult like" policies
and procedures. Seems they will hire anyone. There was a girl who showed up in " Hello Kitty" attire every day. Hmmm....
Pros
great atmosphere until 2009....then things started to get a liitle strange....very tense.
Cons
favortism, management overlooks sub par performance, more concerned if you are 5 minutes late than what is accomplished at overall.
right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing
Business Analyst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
So far off regular enviromental and safety practices, was nervous every day working at site. unsafe practices were an everyday occurance
Pros
wages for some
Cons
everything else
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABSeptember 19, 2013
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Pros
wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons
preservative foods preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
It was one of the best places I have ever worked.
Records Administrator (Contracts) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2015
People were always pleasant from the moment you walked into the office until you left at the end of the day.

Training was always available and someone always wanted to help you to make it easier to learn and complete your projects quickly and properly.
Pros
Always appreciated my work then I completed any project.
Cons
I at that time was only a contractor not a full time employee.
Contractor- Storm Welding Ltd (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABJanuary 28, 2015
worked long hours, chasing rigs. fabricating, welding structural and pressure. People seemed nice and fairly organized. Pay was good. Was hoping to continue working for them in the future. Hardest part was the amount of hours I worked.
Devon needs management shake up
asset (Former Employee) –  calgaryApril 10, 2013
worked for few year in the thermal side of Devon Canada.
Devon needs to send some of the mid and high level management back to school. They just know simple gas reservoir and can not handle the SAGD complexity.
devon also needs to change the simplified view of thermal projects and get to the details or stick to gas business and sell the SAGD.
Pros
steady pay no real challenge
Cons
no real future
stay away, poor name in the industry
operator (Former Employee) –  albertaOctober 18, 2012
- Zero trust
- I learned there are better places to work
- Poor very old school management
- Work with some good guys
- Very strange company, would always tell you how great a place it is to work, over and over. Have never had a job like that before
- Best part of the day was leaving,

- There are much better places to work
Pros
a pay cheque, not much else.
Cons
micromanagement
Was good company to work for but was there only there for 4 yrs. and seen high high turnover of operators.
Gas Plant operator (Former Employee) –  Fort St John, BCMarch 13, 2013
Start my day. Drive to my sour plant. Walk through plant. If nothing pressing go review wells on SCADA. Then do dailly books and plan day. Winter time alot of dealing with hydrates using all methods. Changing particle and coal filters. Dealt with water plant at camp..Operated turbines, wakashaws,and ajax..Taken many courses through Devon. Well and compressor optimization. Trouble shooting catydines..countless saftey courses..

I enjoyed working for Devon. And recomend them as place of employemnet...If you become an employee not contractor.
Pros
great people to work with. give saftey as number one.
Cons
high turn over for contractors..
Productive and Organized Workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABMarch 2, 2015
The daily operation for the most part was a smooth operating machine. There was a prominent structure in place; leaving very little grey areas. Overall great place to work.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here

4.3