Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Fun at work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 November 2015
Having fun at work and enjoy what i used to do. The most enjoying part was lots of learning from my colleagues.Job culture was very good. Salary was competitive and there was work-life balance at work.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Productive engaging Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary8 November 2015
Over the years of work with Devon I was given the opportunity to expand on my role and thus learning new skills and advancing my career. I expanded my SAP knowledge base, learned the new skills/roles and aspects of Oil and Gas. Devon has been hands down the best company I have ever worked for in the Oil and Gas Sector and beyond. I took on many roles as the business would realign through divest and lay offs. The people were the best part, great group of staff. Due to my many roles I was working at full capacity for over 2 years, and the hardest part was trying to take the time for a lunch break.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Contractors are treated oddly
Great company to work for.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo Lake, AB3 November 2015
I really enjoyed working for Devon, but because of the fall in oil prices the company has had to re structure therefore laying myself and a number of other employees.
Pros
Great camp, no hot bunking
Cons
Being away from home for seven days
Working for Devon Energy
Well Pad Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB31 October 2015
I loved my teammates/buddies/2nd family at Devon Energy!! This is the hardest part of losing my job. Not only was my job enjoyable and had great bosses and co-workers from operations, trades to all other contractors. I loved being there and it's tough getting laid off there after nearly 4.5 years.
Pros
Great crews!
Cons
Getting laid off.
Best Place to Work
Technical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2015
Excellent work environment, work / life balance.
Fun work place with supportive management.
There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Learning new skills
IT Services Associate, - Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 October 2015
I learned about Cisco Unity Communication Management tool and many other skills. There was never a typical day at work. Always something new or unique. My co-workers were great to be around and supportive. There was was no hardest or most enjoyable part of the job. It was always interesting and growing experience.
Pros
none to mention
Cons
none to mention
Perfect Work/Life Balance & Environment
PROCUREMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Conkin, AB15 September 2015
Devon Canada was a great company to work for. The shift work allowed for the perfect work/life balance. The individuals I worked with made going to work a breeze. There was always room to grow in roles and experience. Management gave me the responsibilities and freedom to complete my tasks.
I love my team
Contract Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta24 August 2015
I enjoy going to work as everyday I learn something new. The people on my team mentor and are very supportive. The company encourages education and growth.
right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing
Business Analyst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 August 2015
So far off regular enviromental and safety practices, was nervous every day working at site. unsafe practices were an everyday occurance
Pros
wages for some
Cons
everything else
Very professional environment
Reservoir Technologist- Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 July 2015
Is a great place to work, you have your goals established, you have your boss support, job and life balance is great. You are surrounded by professional colleges, people with good experience and knowledge
Pros
education, career, support, balance, good environment
Cons
salary and bonuses are not so good

Want to know more about Devon Energy?

Ask a question
It was one of the best places I have ever worked.
Records Administrator (Contracts) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2015
People were always pleasant from the moment you walked into the office until you left at the end of the day.

Training was always available and someone always wanted to help you to make it easier to learn and complete your projects quickly and properly.
Pros
Always appreciated my work then I completed any project.
Cons
I at that time was only a contractor not a full time employee.
Great company to work for
Emerging Leader IT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 May 2015
The culture is great to work in but some wrong leadership is promoted which causes work/life/health issues.
I had the opportunity to learn a lot at this company and i hope it grows.
Pros
community involvement
Cons
Management issues
Productive and Organized Workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB2 March 2015
The daily operation for the most part was a smooth operating machine. There was a prominent structure in place; leaving very little grey areas. Overall great place to work.
Contractor- Storm Welding Ltd (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB28 January 2015
worked long hours, chasing rigs. fabricating, welding structural and pressure. People seemed nice and fairly organized. Pay was good. Was hoping to continue working for them in the future. Hardest part was the amount of hours I worked.
Great place for a college student to learn about office work.
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB15 January 2015
A typical day at work always changed for me. I got to enter time sheet, enter inspection reports, and did lots of filling. I learned how a office environment was all about. I never really got to meet the company management, but the lady I worked under was very pleasant to work for. Co-workers were very pleasant and always willing to help me with anything I had questions about. I can't think of anything that would have been the hardest as I was only doing it as work experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to the Devon Gas Plant and getting a tour then working for a few hours in the office.
Guys on the floor are good but management is very poor.
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB. Jackfish plants30 June 2014
Work was good, camp was good, pay was good but the management was terrible. The always made empty promises and never ever had your back. If you had an opinion you better keep it to yourself or be prepared to look for work. If you get on the wrong side of a boss they will just get rid of you even if you are a good worker and don't cause problems because you think for yourself. I worked there for 4 years and saw 4 people get let go with a cheque and no good reason to have left.
Pros
time off and pay
Cons
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 February 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee) –  Conklin, AB19 September 2013
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Pros
wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons
Preservative foods Preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
Fun environment
Assistant Plant Operator (Practicum) (Former Employee) –  Fairview, AB2 August 2013
Its a rotating shift work with 12 hours per shift, 28 days rotation. I learned Natural Gas process from wells to sales. The management were nice, they are very concerned about safety of individual. My mentors were great, taught me safety procedures, like doing repairs. They are very supportive. Hardest part of the Job is you have to work in any type of weather condition but I dont mind it. The most enjoyable part of this job is everyday challenge. You have to use all your senses.
Pros
profit sharing for regular employees
Cons
no pay for practicum students

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Devon Energy. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2