Devon Energy

Devon Energy Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee), Conklin, ABSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons: preservative foods preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Fun environment
Assistant Plant Operator (Practicum) (Former Employee), Fairview, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: profit sharing for regular employees
Cons: no pay for practicum students
Its a rotating shift work with 12 hours per shift, 28 days rotation. I learned Natural Gas process from wells to sales. The management were nice, they are very concerned about safety of individual. My mentors were great, taught me safety procedures, like doing repairs. They are very supportive. Hardest part of the Job is you have to work in any type – more... of weather condition but I dont mind it. The most enjoyable part of this job is everyday challenge. You have to use all your senses. – less
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
Pros: free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons: not always opportunities given for advancement.
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Devon needs management shake up
asset (Former Employee), calgaryApril 10, 2013
Pros: steady pay no real challenge
Cons: no real future
worked for few year in the thermal side of Devon Canada.
Devon needs to send some of the mid and high level management back to school. They just know simple gas reservoir and can not handle the SAGD complexity.
devon also needs to change the simplified view of thermal projects and get to the details or stick to gas business and sell the SAGD.
Good job security because there is no accountability
Operator (Former Employee), Northern AlbertaJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: - hourly rates are very good and they are willing to spend money to fix problems
Cons: don't expect a career, it's just a job
It's so hilarious about the last commenter mentioning how hard they try to tell you - never show you - that they are the best oil company to work for, because I experienced the same thing.

My experience was that management/supervisor expectations for employee performance were very low, and in turn, they expected you to collect a paycheque without showing – more... any ambition to do more.

There is too much of an old boys club in the field; too many supervisors hiring their buddies and far too many complacent Anderson Exploration/Home Oil guys running the show. – less
stay away, poor name in the industry
operator (Former Employee), albertaOctober 18, 2012
Pros: a pay cheque, not much else.
Cons: micromanagement
- Zero trust
- I learned there are better places to work
- Poor very old school management
- Work with some good guys
- Very strange company, would always tell you how great a place it is to work, over and over. Have never had a job like that before
- Best part of the day was leaving,

- There are much better places to work

Boomers – January 20, 2013

Sounds like you didn't fit in with the culture. Were you fired or did you just decide to look for another job? Do you realize how tough times are for many in the US?

Great place to work as long as you don't mind being treated with a kindergarten mentality.
Competent, hard worker. (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 23, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere until 2009....then things started to get a liitle strange....very tense.
Cons: favortism, management overlooks sub par performance, more concerned if you are 5 minutes late than what is accomplished at overall.
Hmmm. Great place to work until 2009. Open door policy?...........
Hmmm.... Don't even think about rocking the boat. "Cult like" policies
and procedures. Seems they will hire anyone. There was a girl who showed up in " Hello Kitty" attire every day. Hmmm....

Boomers – January 20, 2013

So, were you fired or did you voluntary look elsewhere? I'm always curious about the extremely negative comments, blaming the culture etc. There are avenues for change...being disgruntled is not one of them. Making suggestions through proper channels, then seeking consensus is more worth your time.

– February 26, 2013

My husband has been trying to get a job with Devon for some time now and despite his qualifications and experience, they have never even offered an interview. Why is this? Do they really have that many people applying for one position? Two of the positions he applied for were lower grade then his current position, is Devon doing some sort of hiring freeze?

nonidiot – March 12, 2013

Depends on the department you are with. I experienced supervisory management with lackluster intelligence and ambitiion. (Always looking out for their favorites, even though they are so incompetent. My direct supervisor was just looking to save his but and just putting in time. However, Manager of department was great. Intelligent and forward looking.I believe Devon is a great place to work, they just need to get rid of dead wood in some depts,

A very good company to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, CanadaMarch 21, 2012
A very good company to work with. It is nice being part of the SAp implementation project at Devon.
Great company to work for.
Geophysical Consultant (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 28, 2014
Enjoyed working for Devon. Competent management and a great environment to work in.
Great company
Compressor Mechanic (Former Employee), Calumet OKMarch 18, 2014
Pros: salary, emplyoyees, supervisors
Arrive to the office in Calumet OK at the processing plant, check in with my supervisor make sure he didn't anything before leaving to check the stations assigned to me.
Devon is overall a very good energy company
Right of Way Agent (Current Employee), TexasMarch 4, 2014
I gained great Right of Way experience while at Devon Energy
Workplace
MS SQL SSIS/SSRS/ETL Developer (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKFebruary 26, 2014
Learned a lot at this company. looking for better opportunity.
Great place to work!
Pipeline Compliance Admin (Current Employee), Bridgeport, Tx 76426January 28, 2014
I love it! Great job, wonderful people for the most part. It's a very laid back place, as long as your getting your work done.
Great place to work.
EHS Professional II (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 20, 2014
Great place to work with excellent pay and benefits. Co-workers are like family at this workplace and the building is beautiful.
good job
Oil & Gas production operator (Former Employee), marion,LaJanuary 8, 2014
lots of time at home,people are good to work for.i would enjoy the job it was able to teach me things i did not know and could take with me to the next job.
Great peopole to work with
Completions Consultant (Former Employee), Bridgeport, TXDecember 19, 2013
Devon has an excellent work environment and you always feel your input matters.
Great place and Awesome Co Workers
Client Technical Support Associate (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKNovember 30, 2013
The company itself was very employee oriented and health conscious. I answered phones and provided trouble shooting for technical issues via phone, web, email, and chat
Just another job
Plant Operator III (Current Employee), Riverton, WYNovember 14, 2013
This company put on airs of being one of the very best to work for, but this is not the case. The working atmosphere is very negative and management is very poor. The work life balance is terrible and the phrase "evertime is expected" is used all too often.

1 2 3

About Devon Energy

Independent oil and gas producer Devon Energy puts its energy into oil and gas fields far from England's southwestern coast, in – Read more