Devon Energy

Devon Energy Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Guys on the floor are good but management is very poor.
Maintenance (Former Employee), Conklin, AB. Jackfish plantsJune 30, 2014
Pros: time off and pay
Cons: management
Work was good, camp was good, pay was good but the management was terrible. The always made empty promises and never ever had your back. If you had an opinion you better keep it to yourself or be prepared to look for work. If you get on the wrong side of a boss they will just get rid of you even if you are a good worker and don't cause problems because – more... you think for yourself. I worked there for 4 years and saw 4 people get let go with a cheque and no good reason to have left. – less
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee), Conklin, ABSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons: preservative foods preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Fun environment
Assistant Plant Operator (Practicum) (Former Employee), Fairview, ABAugust 2, 2013
Pros: profit sharing for regular employees
Cons: no pay for practicum students
Its a rotating shift work with 12 hours per shift, 28 days rotation. I learned Natural Gas process from wells to sales. The management were nice, they are very concerned about safety of individual. My mentors were great, taught me safety procedures, like doing repairs. They are very supportive. Hardest part of the Job is you have to work in any type – more... of weather condition but I dont mind it. The most enjoyable part of this job is everyday challenge. You have to use all your senses. – less
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
Pros: free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons: not always opportunities given for advancement.
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Devon needs management shake up
asset (Former Employee), calgaryApril 10, 2013
Pros: steady pay no real challenge
Cons: no real future
worked for few year in the thermal side of Devon Canada.
Devon needs to send some of the mid and high level management back to school. They just know simple gas reservoir and can not handle the SAGD complexity.
devon also needs to change the simplified view of thermal projects and get to the details or stick to gas business and sell the SAGD.
Good job security because there is no accountability
Operator (Former Employee), Northern AlbertaJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: - hourly rates are very good and they are willing to spend money to fix problems
Cons: don't expect a career, it's just a job
It's so hilarious about the last commenter mentioning how hard they try to tell you - never show you - that they are the best oil company to work for, because I experienced the same thing.

My experience was that management/supervisor expectations for employee performance were very low, and in turn, they expected you to collect a paycheque without showing – more... any ambition to do more.

There is too much of an old boys club in the field; too many supervisors hiring their buddies and far too many complacent Anderson Exploration/Home Oil guys running the show. – less
stay away, poor name in the industry
operator (Former Employee), albertaOctober 18, 2012
Pros: a pay cheque, not much else.
Cons: micromanagement
- Zero trust
- I learned there are better places to work
- Poor very old school management
- Work with some good guys
- Very strange company, would always tell you how great a place it is to work, over and over. Have never had a job like that before
- Best part of the day was leaving,

- There are much better places to work

Boomers – January 20, 2013

Sounds like you didn't fit in with the culture. Were you fired or did you just decide to look for another job? Do you realize how tough times are for many in the US?

Great place to work as long as you don't mind being treated with a kindergarten mentality.
Competent, hard worker. (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 23, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere until 2009....then things started to get a liitle strange....very tense.
Cons: favortism, management overlooks sub par performance, more concerned if you are 5 minutes late than what is accomplished at overall.
Hmmm. Great place to work until 2009. Open door policy?...........
Hmmm.... Don't even think about rocking the boat. "Cult like" policies
and procedures. Seems they will hire anyone. There was a girl who showed up in " Hello Kitty" attire every day. Hmmm....

Boomers – January 20, 2013

So, were you fired or did you voluntary look elsewhere? I'm always curious about the extremely negative comments, blaming the culture etc. There are avenues for change...being disgruntled is not one of them. Making suggestions through proper channels, then seeking consensus is more worth your time.

– February 26, 2013

My husband has been trying to get a job with Devon for some time now and despite his qualifications and experience, they have never even offered an interview. Why is this? Do they really have that many people applying for one position? Two of the positions he applied for were lower grade then his current position, is Devon doing some sort of hiring freeze?

nonidiot – March 12, 2013

Depends on the department you are with. I experienced supervisory management with lackluster intelligence and ambitiion. (Always looking out for their favorites, even though they are so incompetent. My direct supervisor was just looking to save his but and just putting in time. However, Manager of department was great. Intelligent and forward looking.I believe Devon is a great place to work, they just need to get rid of dead wood in some depts,

A very good company to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, CanadaMarch 21, 2012
A very good company to work with. It is nice being part of the SAp implementation project at Devon.
Great People
Independent Safety Consultant (Lead Safety Tech) (Current Employee), Artesia, NMJuly 22, 2014
Pros: great people
Cons: no real integrity from management
Devon Energy has a lot of superb drilling professionals and is a great atmosphere. Their commitment to safety looks and sounds good when discussed publicly. Their commitment is only superficial and does not meet the corporate goals of an incident free workplace. Safety is discussed in every meeting but there is no genuine commitment to safety and there – more... is still an obvious diconnect between operations and EHS. – less
Rated one of the best places to work
Project Planner/ Architect (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 15, 2014
The business environment enables performance with the state of the art technology
Management is responsive to the path of excellence
hardest part of the job was convincing the teams to imbibe new technology
Productive and fun place to work with fitness center on-site
RECORDS SERVICES ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Houston, TXJuly 10, 2014
The most enjoyable part of my job was making certain that the data could be readily obtainable to the business users.
Video Conferencing Engineer (Former Employee), Houston TX.June 25, 2014
Pros: see above
Cons: i don't have any cons.
I worked in the Houston office and everyone was easy to work with from the top down. I also worked out of the OKC office from time to time and they were just as easy to work with.
I was a contractor so I don’t have firsthand experience on compensation but they were #3 or #4 for compensation, one of the years I was there in the "100 best places to work" – more... publication.
They are community minded and are very involved in charity work. – less
I am a fantastic drilling operation superintendent
Deepwater Discovery Rig Manager Rig Owner (Former Employee), AnywhereJune 14, 2014
Pros: free launch
ole of drilling advisor, drilling superintendent, drilling supervisor and drilling engineer,OIM, Rig manager,rig superintendent as I have been done drilling engineering with more than 28+ years in offshore deepwater, ultra deepwater, shallow water, onshore in South America, US, EU. West Africa, Persian Gulf...
Great experience in a short-term project
Desktop Migration Specialist (Former Employee), Houston, TXJune 13, 2014
Pros: great organization
Cons: it was only a project.
Although this was a one month project I enjoyed my time there. I cannot comment on the long term dynamics however. I was happy to experience the opportunity to use and learn up to date technology at the time.
Great upper management clear vision
Operations (Current Employee), OKCMay 5, 2014
Pros: culture, people, benifits
Cons: it's the oilfield... you have to be willing to go where the money is
Work hard get treated with respect and rewarded well, upper management has a clear understand and vision and are consistent in tearing that down.
Great company to work for.
Geophysical Consultant (Former Employee), Denver, COMarch 28, 2014
Enjoyed working for Devon. Competent management and a great environment to work in.
Great company
Compressor Mechanic (Former Employee), Calumet OKMarch 18, 2014
Pros: salary, emplyoyees, supervisors
Arrive to the office in Calumet OK at the processing plant, check in with my supervisor make sure he didn't anything before leaving to check the stations assigned to me.

1 2 3 4

About Devon Energy

Independent oil and gas producer Devon Energy puts its energy into oil and gas fields far from England's southwestern coast, in – Read more