Devon Energy Employee Reviews in Canada

Stifling culture, trapped in the past
Lead, Cloud Engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2016
When a company pledges to lead it's industry in new technology adoption, but simply throws technology at a problem instead of cultivating the cultural, process, people issues that are inherent in such a bold pledge, the company is very difficult to take seriously. Add in poor leadership cohesion, no federated direction, and biased/insulated technology leaders, and you get a company that should put itself out of its misery.
Pros
Decent salary and benefits
Cons
Poor structure, bad silos, weak leadership.
Good pay, benefits - but not a place to aggressively grow your career.
Application Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time there, and had lots of exposure to projects & products - however being an Oil & Gas Company their primary focus was definitely NOT Information Technology.
Pros
Good pay, benefits.
Cons
Oil & Gas boom, bust - poor career laddering.
Fun at work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
Having fun at work and enjoy what i used to do. The most enjoying part was lots of learning from my colleagues.Job culture was very good. Salary was competitive and there was work-life balance at work.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Professional, solid, career-oriented
District Operations Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Devon Energy is an overall excellent company who values the opinions of their employees.

The organizational structure is refined, with a lot of emphasis placed upon defined desirable leadership attributes (fairness, openness, etc).

Typical days are very busy, but you have the flexibility to achieve results your own way, so long as you are aligned with the team.

Devon is constantly undergoing continuous improvement efforts, and some people may struggle to keep up with the constant influx of changes, however for those to embrace change this will be taken positively.

This is a company you cannot get bored with, and who offers excellent advancement opportunities. You will be working with impassioned, driven, highly skilled individuals on dynamic teams.
Pros
Continuous Improvement, Refined organizational structure, High degree of responsibility and flexibility
Cons
Very fast paced environment may be overwhelming for some
Productive place with many great people working there
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABApril 8, 2016
Fun place to work a lot of hard work when its needed, but pretty laid back and fun place when everything is running smooth. I learnt a lot about my field not really from the company but mostly from the people that work there. They have a desire to teach those who are willing to learn. The hardest part of the job is working nights, it really throws your sleep pattern off. The pay is definitely the best part of the job. Because it is fly in and out they really compensate you well in that aspect.
Pros
7on - 7off, nice pay and very nice camp.
Very professional environment
Reservoir Technologist- Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Is a great place to work, you have your goals established, you have your boss support, job and life balance is great. You are surrounded by professional colleges, people with good experience and knowledge
Pros
education, career, support, balance, good environment
Cons
salary and bonuses are not so good
A great place to work.
operations/special projects (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABJuly 22, 2016
Work was interesting the people were fun to work with and the management were easy to get along with and helpful. The company always tried to keep up with the latest developments and trained their people well.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
quite a few call outs
Very Good Place to work
Lead Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I spent 12 years at Devon Energy in various roles in the Project Management office.

Devon afforded me the opportunity to work on application development and IT infrastructure projects. Some highlights include Jackfish 1 SAGD project, Wellcore project and the Cdn Divestiture project.

Great people and great company!
Not the company it once was
engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Sadly, in Canada at least, Devon has eroding assets and an ever more toxic corporate culture. It has gone downhill the last 2 years and morale is at an all time low. In short, the best and brightest mostly left with the divest to CNRL in 2014. The leadership that remains is on an isolated island from the rest of the staff and has some gaping holes in both their capability and experience. Pockets of quality people and good leadership remain but are getting scarce. Should you choose to go there, expect the classic 'clan and hierarchy' structure and be prepared to silence any constructive critiques you may have.
Productive engaging Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Over the years of work with Devon I was given the opportunity to expand on my role and thus learning new skills and advancing my career. I expanded my SAP knowledge base, learned the new skills/roles and aspects of Oil and Gas. Devon has been hands down the best company I have ever worked for in the Oil and Gas Sector and beyond. I took on many roles as the business would realign through divest and lay offs. The people were the best part, great group of staff. Due to my many roles I was working at full capacity for over 2 years, and the hardest part was trying to take the time for a lunch break.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Contractors are treated oddly
Good Job, great benefits
Plant / Field Oerator (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABJune 6, 2016
Devon Energy were a great company to work for. Open communication between management and employees. Supported individual growth, just not a lot of room for advancement within district. Excellent benefits
very good
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Egypt, ONAugust 12, 2016
very big company and very organized and it was a very good experience to work with young expeienced professionals

good work environment and very nice people
Enjoyed my time with Devon Energy, would still be there if it were not for low oil prices.
Day Shift Swing Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Worked shift work, 7 days on, 7 days off. Did 12 hour shifts, so the days were long, but they went fast as I enjoyed my job. We had a good work environment, and had facilities after work for recreation. I personally enjoyed playing hockey with my fellow employees and squash.
Perfect Work/Life Balance & Environment
PROCUREMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Conkin, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Devon Canada was a great company to work for. The shift work allowed for the perfect work/life balance. The individuals I worked with made going to work a breeze. There was always room to grow in roles and experience. Management gave me the responsibilities and freedom to complete my tasks.
Learning new skills
IT Services Associate, - Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
I learned about Cisco Unity Communication Management tool and many other skills. There was never a typical day at work. Always something new or unique. My co-workers were great to be around and supportive. There was was no hardest or most enjoyable part of the job. It was always interesting and growing experience.
Pros
none to mention
Cons
none to mention
Fair & Challenging Work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2015
Devon is one of the best company to work for. Very amazing people and very talented people i came across while working there.
Believe in fair and transparent work culture at work and help others whenever you get a chance to do so.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
PROJECT MANAGER - CAPITAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work, wonderful co-workers, good management, and diverse projects. There are a lot of processes in this company.
Lab Technician - Bitumen Oil Plants (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABNovember 24, 2015
It is good place to work but the low oil price hit me hard. I Love to work there again, but no hope .....Working culture is good and all the people are friendly and I enjoyed working in Devon.
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Pros
free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons
not always opportunities given for advancement.

4.3