Devon Energy

Devon Energy Employee Reviews

Great company to work
Supporting supply chain manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Great company to work. Worked here for a year. Amazing team. A typical day at work involved working with multiple teams.
Not the company it once was
engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Sadly, in Canada at least, Devon has eroding assets and an ever more toxic corporate culture. It has gone downhill the last 2 years and morale is at an all time low. In short, the best and brightest mostly left with the divest to CNRL in 2014. The leadership that remains is on an isolated island from the rest of the staff and has some gaping holes in both their capability and experience. Pockets of quality people and good leadership remain but are getting scarce. Should you choose to go there, expect the classic 'clan and hierarchy' structure and be prepared to silence any constructive critiques you may have.
Fair & Challenging Work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2015
Devon is one of the best company to work for. Very amazing people and very talented people i came across while working there.
Believe in fair and transparent work culture at work and help others whenever you get a chance to do so.
Pros
Good people
Cons
PROJECT MANAGER - CAPITAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work, wonderful co-workers, good management, and diverse projects. There are a lot of processes in this company.
Lab Technician - Bitumen Oil Plants (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABNovember 24, 2015
It is good place to work but the low oil price hit me hard. I Love to work there again, but no hope .....Working culture is good and all the people are friendly and I enjoyed working in Devon.
Learned alot from this contract, great team work
TDS-Sub Contractor Data Equipment Collector (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 12, 2015
• Walked down all of the clients production sites throughout Alberta and Northern BC, RFID tagging all assets at their gas, oil well and battery sites
• Close attention to detail and inputting information collected into a data base such as catapult for inventory requisition.
Fun at work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
Having fun at work and enjoy what i used to do. The most enjoying part was lots of learning from my colleagues.Job culture was very good. Salary was competitive and there was work-life balance at work.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Productive engaging Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Over the years of work with Devon I was given the opportunity to expand on my role and thus learning new skills and advancing my career. I expanded my SAP knowledge base, learned the new skills/roles and aspects of Oil and Gas. Devon has been hands down the best company I have ever worked for in the Oil and Gas Sector and beyond. I took on many roles as the business would realign through divest and lay offs. The people were the best part, great group of staff. Due to my many roles I was working at full capacity for over 2 years, and the hardest part was trying to take the time for a lunch break.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Contractors are treated oddly
Great company to work for.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo Lake, ABNovember 3, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Devon, but because of the fall in oil prices the company has had to re structure therefore laying myself and a number of other employees.
Pros
Great camp, no hot bunking
Cons
Being away from home for seven days
Working for Devon Energy
Well Pad Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABOctober 31, 2015
I loved my teammates/buddies/2nd family at Devon Energy!! This is the hardest part of losing my job. Not only was my job enjoyable and had great bosses and co-workers from operations, trades to all other contractors. I loved being there and it's tough getting laid off there after nearly 4.5 years.
Pros
Great crews!
Cons
Getting laid off.
Best Place to Work
Technical (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
Excellent work environment, work / life balance.
Fun work place with supportive management.
There was a lot of variety in what I did each day.
Learning new skills
IT Services Associate, - Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 20, 2015
I learned about Cisco Unity Communication Management tool and many other skills. There was never a typical day at work. Always something new or unique. My co-workers were great to be around and supportive. There was was no hardest or most enjoyable part of the job. It was always interesting and growing experience.
Pros
none to mention
Cons
none to mention
Perfect Work/Life Balance & Environment
PROCUREMENT ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Conkin, ABSeptember 15, 2015
Devon Canada was a great company to work for. The shift work allowed for the perfect work/life balance. The individuals I worked with made going to work a breeze. There was always room to grow in roles and experience. Management gave me the responsibilities and freedom to complete my tasks.
I love my team
Contract Procurement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaAugust 24, 2015
I enjoy going to work as everyday I learn something new. The people on my team mentor and are very supportive. The company encourages education and growth.
right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing
Business Analyst Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 2, 2015
So far off regular enviromental and safety practices, was nervous every day working at site. unsafe practices were an everyday occurance
Pros
wages for some
Cons
everything else
Very professional environment
Reservoir Technologist- Development (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2015
Is a great place to work, you have your goals established, you have your boss support, job and life balance is great. You are surrounded by professional colleges, people with good experience and knowledge
Pros
education, career, support, balance, good environment
Cons
salary and bonuses are not so good
It was one of the best places I have ever worked.
Records Administrator (Contracts) (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2015
People were always pleasant from the moment you walked into the office until you left at the end of the day.

Training was always available and someone always wanted to help you to make it easier to learn and complete your projects quickly and properly.
Pros
Always appreciated my work then I completed any project.
Cons
I at that time was only a contractor not a full time employee.
Great company to work for
Emerging Leader IT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 1, 2015
The culture is great to work in but some wrong leadership is promoted which causes work/life/health issues.
I had the opportunity to learn a lot at this company and i hope it grows.
Pros
community involvement
Cons
Management issues
Productive and Organized Workplace
Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABMarch 2, 2015
The daily operation for the most part was a smooth operating machine. There was a prominent structure in place; leaving very little grey areas. Overall great place to work.
Contractor- Storm Welding Ltd (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABJanuary 28, 2015
worked long hours, chasing rigs. fabricating, welding structural and pressure. People seemed nice and fairly organized. Pay was good. Was hoping to continue working for them in the future. Hardest part was the amount of hours I worked.