Devon Energy Employee Reviews

selfish, not cooprative and fun work place
operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABSeptember 1, 2016
It used to be a fun, happy and productive place to work, but after some people left, especially some team leaders left , the culture went to down the average ! There was competing or finger pointing or complaining , but not cooperation and teamwork! Some team worker was so selfish, cold hearted, no caring at all and lots of back stabbing, or trying to give bad or difficult time behind! No common rule for each one, so no fairness there, like covering the corresponding course tuition : some people got covered , so they could move faster by taking part in courses in school! A lot of politics , same mistake , but not same treatment for different people ! the culture not for getting work or company business better , but worse! So glad left!
Pros
pay
Cons
selfish, politics and unfairness, no repect for seniors or hardwork
very good
IT Specialist (Former Employee) –  Egypt, ONAugust 12, 2016
very big company and very organized and it was a very good experience to work with young expeienced professionals

good work environment and very nice people
A great place to work.
operations/special projects (Former Employee) –  Rocky Mountain House, ABJuly 22, 2016
Work was interesting the people were fun to work with and the management were easy to get along with and helpful. The company always tried to keep up with the latest developments and trained their people well.
Pros
good work atmosphere
Cons
quite a few call outs
Good Job, great benefits
Plant / Field Oerator (Former Employee) –  Grande Cache, ABJune 6, 2016
Devon Energy were a great company to work for. Open communication between management and employees. Supported individual growth, just not a lot of room for advancement within district. Excellent benefits
Productive place with many great people working there
Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABApril 8, 2016
Fun place to work a lot of hard work when its needed, but pretty laid back and fun place when everything is running smooth. I learnt a lot about my field not really from the company but mostly from the people that work there. They have a desire to teach those who are willing to learn. The hardest part of the job is working nights, it really throws your sleep pattern off. The pay is definitely the best part of the job. Because it is fly in and out they really compensate you well in that aspect.
Pros
7on - 7off, nice pay and very nice camp.
Professional, solid, career-oriented
District Operations Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 22, 2016
Devon Energy is an overall excellent company who values the opinions of their employees.

The organizational structure is refined, with a lot of emphasis placed upon defined desirable leadership attributes (fairness, openness, etc).

Typical days are very busy, but you have the flexibility to achieve results your own way, so long as you are aligned with the team.

Devon is constantly undergoing continuous improvement efforts, and some people may struggle to keep up with the constant influx of changes, however for those to embrace change this will be taken positively.

This is a company you cannot get bored with, and who offers excellent advancement opportunities. You will be working with impassioned, driven, highly skilled individuals on dynamic teams.
Pros
Continuous Improvement, Refined organizational structure, High degree of responsibility and flexibility
Cons
Very fast paced environment may be overwhelming for some
Stifling culture, trapped in the past
Lead, Cloud Engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 3, 2016
When a company pledges to lead it's industry in new technology adoption, but simply throws technology at a problem instead of cultivating the cultural, process, people issues that are inherent in such a bold pledge, the company is very difficult to take seriously. Add in poor leadership cohesion, no federated direction, and biased/insulated technology leaders, and you get a company that should put itself out of its misery.
Pros
Decent salary and benefits
Cons
Poor structure, bad silos, weak leadership.
Good pay, benefits - but not a place to aggressively grow your career.
Application Services Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
I enjoyed my time there, and had lots of exposure to projects & products - however being an Oil & Gas Company their primary focus was definitely NOT Information Technology.
Pros
Good pay, benefits.
Cons
Oil & Gas boom, bust - poor career laddering.
Enjoyed my time with Devon Energy, would still be there if it were not for low oil prices.
Day Shift Swing Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 25, 2016
Worked shift work, 7 days on, 7 days off. Did 12 hour shifts, so the days were long, but they went fast as I enjoyed my job. We had a good work environment, and had facilities after work for recreation. I personally enjoyed playing hockey with my fellow employees and squash.
Very Good Place to work
Lead Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I spent 12 years at Devon Energy in various roles in the Project Management office.

Devon afforded me the opportunity to work on application development and IT infrastructure projects. Some highlights include Jackfish 1 SAGD project, Wellcore project and the Cdn Divestiture project.

Great people and great company!
Great company to work
Supporting supply chain manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 7, 2016
Great company to work. Worked here for a year. Amazing team. A typical day at work involved working with multiple teams.
Not the company it once was
engineering (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 7, 2015
Sadly, in Canada at least, Devon has eroding assets and an ever more toxic corporate culture. It has gone downhill the last 2 years and morale is at an all time low. In short, the best and brightest mostly left with the divest to CNRL in 2014. The leadership that remains is on an isolated island from the rest of the staff and has some gaping holes in both their capability and experience. Pockets of quality people and good leadership remain but are getting scarce. Should you choose to go there, expect the classic 'clan and hierarchy' structure and be prepared to silence any constructive critiques you may have.
Fair & Challenging Work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2015
Devon is one of the best company to work for. Very amazing people and very talented people i came across while working there.
Believe in fair and transparent work culture at work and help others whenever you get a chance to do so.
Pros
Good people
Cons
PROJECT MANAGER - CAPITAL PROJECTS (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 30, 2015
Great place to work, wonderful co-workers, good management, and diverse projects. There are a lot of processes in this company.
Lab Technician - Bitumen Oil Plants (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABNovember 24, 2015
It is good place to work but the low oil price hit me hard. I Love to work there again, but no hope .....Working culture is good and all the people are friendly and I enjoyed working in Devon.
Learned alot from this contract, great team work
TDS-Sub Contractor Data Equipment Collector (Former Employee) –  AlbertaNovember 12, 2015
• Walked down all of the clients production sites throughout Alberta and Northern BC, RFID tagging all assets at their gas, oil well and battery sites
• Close attention to detail and inputting information collected into a data base such as catapult for inventory requisition.
Fun at work
Business System Support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 10, 2015
Having fun at work and enjoy what i used to do. The most enjoying part was lots of learning from my colleagues.Job culture was very good. Salary was competitive and there was work-life balance at work.
Pros
Excellent working environment
Productive engaging Work Environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  CalgaryNovember 8, 2015
Over the years of work with Devon I was given the opportunity to expand on my role and thus learning new skills and advancing my career. I expanded my SAP knowledge base, learned the new skills/roles and aspects of Oil and Gas. Devon has been hands down the best company I have ever worked for in the Oil and Gas Sector and beyond. I took on many roles as the business would realign through divest and lay offs. The people were the best part, great group of staff. Due to my many roles I was working at full capacity for over 2 years, and the hardest part was trying to take the time for a lunch break.
Pros
Great work atmosphere
Cons
Contractors are treated oddly
Great company to work for.
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Wood Buffalo Lake, ABNovember 3, 2015
I really enjoyed working for Devon, but because of the fall in oil prices the company has had to re structure therefore laying myself and a number of other employees.
Pros
Great camp, no hot bunking
Cons
Being away from home for seven days
Working for Devon Energy
Well Pad Operator (Former Employee) –  Conklin, ABOctober 31, 2015
I loved my teammates/buddies/2nd family at Devon Energy!! This is the hardest part of losing my job. Not only was my job enjoyable and had great bosses and co-workers from operations, trades to all other contractors. I loved being there and it's tough getting laid off there after nearly 4.5 years.
Pros
Great crews!
Cons
Getting laid off.

4.3