Devon Energy

Devon Energy Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Productive and Organized Workplace
Operator (Former Employee), Conklin, ABMarch 2, 2015
The daily operation for the most part was a smooth operating machine. There was a prominent structure in place; leaving very little grey areas. Overall great place to work.
Contractor- Storm Welding Ltd (Former Employee), Conklin, ABJanuary 28, 2015
worked long hours, chasing rigs. fabricating, welding structural and pressure. People seemed nice and fairly organized. Pay was good. Was hoping to continue working for them in the future. Hardest part was the amount of hours I worked.
Great place for a college student to learn about office work.
Work Experience (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABJanuary 15, 2015
A typical day at work always changed for me. I got to enter time sheet, enter inspection reports, and did lots of filling. I learned how a office environment was all about. I never really got to meet the company management, but the lady I worked under was very pleasant to work for. Co-workers were very pleasant and always willing to help me with anything I had questions about. I can't think of anything that would have been the hardest as I was only doing it as work experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was going out to the Devon Gas Plant and getting a tour then working for a few hours in the office.
Guys on the floor are good but management is very poor.
Maintenance (Former Employee), Conklin, AB. Jackfish plantsJune 30, 2014
Pros: time off and pay
Cons: management
Work was good, camp was good, pay was good but the management was terrible. The always made empty promises and never ever had your back. If you had an opinion you better keep it to yourself or be prepared to look for work. If you get on the wrong side of a boss they will just get rid of you even if you are a good worker and don't cause problems because you think for yourself. I worked there for 4 years and saw 4 people get let go with a cheque and no good reason to have left.
Great company - poor people management
Communications and Design Advisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 21, 2014
I worked at Devon for seven years, and at my performance review at the end of each, I asked for more challenge and responsibility. Not once was my request addressed - so I maintained a flat trajectory for the duration of my work life there. Work/life balance? Salary? Fantastic. Job satisfaction and management? Not so good.
Positive experience
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
This company is highly regarded in the industry and I have thoroughly enjoyed my limited time here
they say its like home. unless you like sleeping with men!
Power Engineer (Former Employee), Conklin, ABSeptember 19, 2013
Pros: wild life and thats not the monkeys either.
Cons: preservative foods preservative foods mmmmmm! no taste no flavor!
management and panel operators get retention bonus. the rest get 0. equal bull. like one manager said we can get monkeys to run plant. well have not seen them there yet. maybe he was referring to his siblings or family. flights given to B.C. and Alberta workers rest get your own way to work. then they preach safety on the highways. lots of favoritism.
Great place to work.
Communications and Design Advisor (Current Employee), Calgary, ABApril 24, 2013
Pros: free flavoured coffee in kitchens!
Cons: not always opportunities given for advancement.
Great remuneration. Great benefits. Great overall company to work for. Learning provided, flexible hours if required, good teamwork. Management can be ego driven, and advancement is limited.
Devon needs management shake up
asset (Former Employee), calgaryApril 10, 2013
Pros: steady pay no real challenge
Cons: no real future
worked for few year in the thermal side of Devon Canada.
Devon needs to send some of the mid and high level management back to school. They just know simple gas reservoir and can not handle the SAGD complexity.
devon also needs to change the simplified view of thermal projects and get to the details or stick to gas business and sell the SAGD.
Was good company to work for but was there only there for 4 yrs. and seen high high turnover of operators.
Gas Plant operator (Former Employee), Fort St John, BCMarch 13, 2013
Pros: great people to work with. give saftey as number one.
Cons: high turn over for contractors..
Start my day. Drive to my sour plant. Walk through plant. If nothing pressing go review wells on SCADA. Then do dailly books and plan day. Winter time alot of dealing with hydrates using all methods. Changing particle and coal filters. Dealt with water plant at camp..Operated turbines, wakashaws,and ajax..Taken many courses through Devon. Well and compressor optimization. Trouble shooting catydines..countless saftey courses..

I enjoyed working for Devon. And recomend them as place of employemnet...If you become an employee not contractor.
Good job security because there is no accountability
Operator (Former Employee), Northern AlbertaJanuary 4, 2013
Pros: - hourly rates are very good and they are willing to spend money to fix problems
Cons: don't expect a career, it's just a job
It's so hilarious about the last commenter mentioning how hard they try to tell you - never show you - that they are the best oil company to work for, because I experienced the same thing.

My experience was that management/supervisor expectations for employee performance were very low, and in turn, they expected you to collect a paycheque without showing any ambition to do more.

There is too much of an old boys club in the field; too many supervisors hiring their buddies and far too many complacent Anderson Exploration/Home Oil guys running the show.
stay away, poor name in the industry
operator (Former Employee), albertaOctober 18, 2012
Pros: a pay cheque, not much else.
Cons: micromanagement
- Zero trust
- I learned there are better places to work
- Poor very old school management
- Work with some good guys
- Very strange company, would always tell you how great a place it is to work, over and over. Have never had a job like that before
- Best part of the day was leaving,

- There are much better places to work

January 20, 2013

Sounds like you didn't fit in with the culture. Were you fired or did you just decide to look for another job? Do you realize how tough times are for many in the US?

Great place to work as long as you don't mind being treated with a kindergarten mentality.
Competent, hard worker. (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 23, 2012
Pros: great atmosphere until 2009....then things started to get a liitle strange....very tense.
Cons: favortism, management overlooks sub par performance, more concerned if you are 5 minutes late than what is accomplished at overall.
Hmmm. Great place to work until 2009. Open door policy?...........
Hmmm.... Don't even think about rocking the boat. "Cult like" policies
and procedures. Seems they will hire anyone. There was a girl who showed up in " Hello Kitty" attire every day. Hmmm....

January 20, 2013

So, were you fired or did you voluntary look elsewhere? I'm always curious about the extremely negative comments, blaming the culture etc. There are avenues for change...being disgruntled is not one of them. Making suggestions through proper channels, then seeking consensus is more worth your time.

February 26, 2013

My husband has been trying to get a job with Devon for some time now and despite his qualifications and experience, they have never even offered an interview. Why is this? Do they really have that many people applying for one position? Two of the positions he applied for were lower grade then his current position, is Devon doing some sort of hiring freeze?

March 12, 2013

Depends on the department you are with. I experienced supervisory management with lackluster intelligence and ambitiion. (Always looking out for their favorites, even though they are so incompetent. My direct supervisor was just looking to save his but and just putting in time. However, Manager of department was great. Intelligent and forward looking.I believe Devon is a great place to work, they just need to get rid of dead wood in some depts,

A very good company to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee), Calgary, CanadaMarch 21, 2012
A very good company to work with. It is nice being part of the SAp implementation project at Devon.

About Devon Energy

Independent oil and gas producer Devon Energy puts its energy into oil and gas fields far from England's southwestern coast, in – Read more