Department of Veterans Affairs Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
good job
transoporter (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 12, 2014
Pros: good benifits
Cons: short lunce breaks
good job .good pay, nice people to wokk with. learn how to cumuicte with patient
A productive and fun place to work
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXSeptember 11, 2014
I enjoyed working with this company as I was able to utilize my skills
and had moderate supervision. Pay was low for a Master degree.
Great place to work for
Software Quality specialist (Current Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 9, 2014
I dont really work for the VA but I am a contractor. I like doing what i do for them and the VA people are nice to work with.
Enjoy working with veterans
MEDICAL SUPPORT ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COSeptember 7, 2014
busy outpatient clinic from start to finish. The outpatient clinic provides different area of assistance for veterans.
Great opportunity
Nurse Manager (Current Employee), Carrollton, GASeptember 5, 2014
No two days are the same. Great benefits and jobs satisfaction
Senior IT and Business Professional
Business Application Analyst, Virtual VA Program (Current Employee), Hines, ILSeptember 4, 2014
Senior multi-dimensional IT and business professional with a passion for managing risks, leading people and networking beyond a project’s scope to deliver exceptional results on-time and within budget. Ability to support multiple simultaneous projects in a matrix organizational structure.
Case Management/Customer Service
Human Resource Specialist, Employee Benefits (Current Employee), Nashville, TNSeptember 4, 2014
Case managing over 1000 cases per year, phone calls from outside providers, customer service at all times.
For non-movers
Medical Support Assistant (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: medical/dental benefits; job experience
Cons: very political environment; very little pay advancement; sketchy position advancement
Working for the VA is a great place for those who would be happy to stay where they are at. I have experience on the lower echelon (GS-6 and below), and my experience is that the system is designed to keep individuals where they are. Leadership seminars exist, but are only permitted for those who are GS-7 and above, completely ignoring those who need – more... it the most.
Compensation and benefits are plentiful and vary to cater to individual needs.
Supervisory staff, in general, are subpar, mostly concerned with taking care of themselves rather than being good leaders to their employees. You are lucky if you get a supervisor who will actually mentor and help you.'
Working for the VA is an educational experience that will help you understand the Federal work system. – less
Great atmosphere
Intern (Former Employee), Lexington, KYSeptember 2, 2014
Great atmosphere with outstanding people to work with. Worked within Primary Care Administration which was a very eye-opening experience.
Great benefits
Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARSeptember 1, 2014
Pros: great hours
Cons: short breaks
This job provides great benefits to its employee's. You must have a flexible work schedule. It provided me with opportunities to work with other veterans and to help them achieve a greater level of health. This was a great part of job.
Department of Veterans Affairs
Medical Records Administrator (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CASeptember 1, 2014
Most enjoyable part of working for the Department of Veterans Affairs is knowing that you are helping to take care of our veterans who have sacrificed so much for our country.
Medical Support Assistant (Former Employee), Erie, PAAugust 29, 2014
Management needs a little work but overall a good place to work. I made a lot of great friends where I worked and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping Veteran's.
Very efficient work place that take pride in serving the nation's Veterans
Contact Representative (Current Employee), Beverly Hills, TXAugust 27, 2014
Pros: listening to some of their (veteran) experiences.
Cons: the angry veteran that feels he has not been serviced as he should have been.
Typical day would consist of answering phones, ensuring training was done, routing calls to the proper department,answering non- clinical questions, and sending corresponding emails to physicians, pharmacists, and upper management.
Medical Malpractice/Health Law
Legal Extern (Former Employee), Hines, ILAugust 25, 2014
Researched and wrote legal memoranda for the Office of the General Counsel at Hines VA Hospital. Was also responsible for drafting interrogatories, answers to complaints, discovery requests, and acceptance or denial letters.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
Planning and Projects Industrial Eng (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 25, 2014
Business Analysis & Management

• Analyzed and negotiated terms for the purchase and sale of services and products
• Analyzed and verified US Office of Foreign Asset Control documentation for credit letter
• Assisted in the creation of the User Handbook for Documentary Credit under UCP 600 - ICC
• Reviewed and analyzed plans to verify compliance with – more... federal regulations on exportation
• Business and government agenda analysis, assisted in performance statistical analysis to develop economic models and financial strategies for measuring performance impact
• Interacted daily with enrollment, claims, utilization/quality management, and customer service to resolve provider issues & management
• Analyzed, interpreted, and resolved claims with authorization for dividend and overpayments payments
• Managing existing revenue portfolio and growing the service portfolio with the client customer

Planning & Manufacturing

• Complete resource planning including lab & Non-lab Hour (Machinery) as per project scope using productivity, time study and line balance
• Utilized Kaizen Implementation Model, Toyota Production System and Lean Six Sigma. Responsible for projects to include orders and client delivery, enforcing deadlines and minimizing processing costs
• In-depth engineering analysis, design and application of complex working methods
• Conducted capacity analysis & Implemented new layout – less
Work hard and no play
Legal Administrative Specialist (Current Employee), Salt lake City UTAugust 20, 2014
Pros: helping veterans, employee benefits
Cons: not much team morale
A typical day at work was very productive
I learned about insurance and processing claims and worksheets
I kept to myself most of the time but had really good relationship with everyone
My job at first was hard learning something new but once I got the hang of it, I sought after advancement
I truly enjoy helping people
I love to be interactive
Fun people to work with and steady busy work flow
Hematology/Oncology Faculty (Former Employee), Augusta, GAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: opportunities to teach. no worrying about insurance issues
I enjoyed working at the VA Medical Center in Augusta, GA. I worked as a faculty in the hematology/oncology department. I enjoyed working with all the people there, participating in the tumor boards, and taking care of the patients. It was a very collaborative environment. I also worked as a teaching attending on a general internal medicine team, which – more... allowed me to indulge in my interest in teaching. – less
Department of Veterans Affairs
Administrative Officer, National Center (Current Employee), Gainesville, FlAugust 20, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good work/home balance
Cons: too many political players and manipulators.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs would be better if upper management and leadership weren't so concerned with metrics and cared more about who they are actually working for.
productive and well balanced company.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAAugust 19, 2014
Performed administrative clerical duties for one of many medical facilities. Assisting veterans. Helped in-home nurses and social workers organize current, former and new patient files, also combined numerous files and entered files onto spread sheets in Microsoft word and excel. Co-workers were helpful and extremly nice to work with.
Very busy days
Department Manager (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAAugust 17, 2014
Pros: helping veterans
Cons: busy days.
As a manager I enjoyed working with many hard working, with a great deal of work responsibility. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping the veterans and their family members.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos