Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Department of Veterans Affairs
Medical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Augusta, GAJune 7, 2014
• Answering phones, retrieving and taking the appropriate action from phone messages.
• Scheduling, cancelling or rescheduling patient’s appointments and/or consults.
• Entering no-show information and retrieve and process messages thru CLR (Call Log Recorder).
• Monitoring the electronic wait/recall list.
• Preparing for clinic visits, monitoring both – more... impatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility.
• Ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit.
• Certifying and updating demographics and insurance information.
• Processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA faculties or private hospitals.
• Performs basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage and travel claims. – less
Serving those who laid down their lives for us is very rewarding.
Management Assistant (Analysis) GS 7 (Current Employee), Geriatric Research, Education & Clinical CenterJune 5, 2014
Pros: help veterans; good benefits; decent, but not great, pay;
Cons: administrative jobs cut across board, objective criteria are not being used as claimed in classification, the positions getting "downgraded" and is very de-moralizing.
Although upper management within the hospital is not in touch with the front line people who actually come face to face with Veteran patients and their families, it is very rewarding to be able to pay back those who have given their lives for the freedom and security of our great nation.
Great patient focus
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee), Grand Junction, COJune 5, 2014
Great place to work, patients taught me a lot, nurses were amazing.
Rude and lazy employees/terrible management
Allied health (Current Employee), DallasJune 5, 2014
Pros: great patients, benefits
Cons: management, no accountability, bad attitudes
I've worked for the VA for three Years. They have the best patients in the world!! I loved this aspect of my job but the staffing issues are causing a huge backlog, there is 0 accountability for wrong-doings and no sense of order. The managers would rather stay in their office than address issues that affect workflow and patient care, they just expect – more... the employees to figure it out with minimal resources. This was my dream job and can't wait to depart!!! – less
I began with the company as a Travel nurse and traveled out of state for this postition.
Licensed Practical Nurse (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJune 5, 2014
Pros: paid travel, paid room and board.
Cons: being away from my family, separation anxiety
I have to admit that I could not identify with the culture in Texas. I enjoyed the work experience and the pride and camaderie that came with working with the US military and serving the Veterans. But the work ethics and the management at the facility in Dallas TX was too much for me to adapt to. The time spent away from my family and the duration was – more... very painful and caused me anguish. It was not a positive experience for me. – less
Enjoyable and flexible place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Work Study) (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIJune 5, 2014
This is a work study position, hours are flexible, counselors are helpful and willing to answer questions. The work requires attention to detail as work involves dealing with active veteran benefits.
A place for professional and personal growth
Phlebotomy Technician (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJune 2, 2014
A typical day: Arrive @7a Leave @330p I collected specimens from patients. I maintained my lab, managed inventory of supplies, was responsible recording confidential PHI according to HIPPA.
Old facility offering plenty of HVAC work
Air Conditioning Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Sioux Falls, SDJune 2, 2014
Pros: good health insurance and benifits
Cons: staff
Little to no contact with management on priorities for the day, which can change with phone call. Little support from management in conducting repairs on equipment sometimes causing equipment to prematurely fail.
HR Dept at VA in Dallas, TX
Looking for a job (Former Employee), Sallas, RXMay 29, 2014
Cons: rude employees in hr!!!!
I called VA in Dallas about a pharmacy technician position. The HR person was VERY RUDE!!!!! She needs to get some manners witha quickness!!!!! Just because she works for VA DOES NOT mean that she has to be so RUDE!!!! I was calling back to get her name and she is hanging up on me!!! How professional is that!!! She did not give her name and she will – more... NOT answer so I can get a supervisors name!!!!! – less
Solid employer with great coworkers.
Intern/Client Developer (Former Employee), Philadelphia, PAMay 28, 2014
Pros: true team environment, welcomes innovation, interesting work.
Cons: red tape, legacy practices.
Please note: My experience was an an intern only.

Working for the VA as a developer usually involved a great deal of freedom and support from management. My manager in particular welcomed new ideas and methods to solve problems. My coworkers and supervisors were delightful and I genuinely miss them. It can be a great culture.

The office in which I – more... worked was in the process of updating practices and platforms. The systems we used had been around for decades and contained legacy code and practices. Working with them provided excellent challenges, but could also be frustrating for a developer trained first in OOP.

Overall, I would recommend them as an an employer. – less
Learned to do your job and go home
Patient Service Assistant (Former Employee), Decatur, GAMay 26, 2014
Pros: benefits and job rewarding.
Cons: promotional opportunities
Great benefits and a great place too work. One drawback is too many employees are in a managerial position have NEVER served in the military therefore do not fully understand the needs and problems of veterans.
VA facility focusing on indpendence in ADLs
Level I Fieldwork (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAMay 25, 2014
Great working environment, Vet's are priority and are issued lots of adaptive equipment at no cost if necessary.
An excellent program
Veteran Vocation Rehabilitation Participant (Former Employee), Savannah, GAMay 23, 2014
The Voc-rehab. program allowed me to obtain a BS degree and transition to a civilian education and occupation.
Rewarding
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Missoula, MTMay 22, 2014
Pros: working with veterans
Cons: only was able to work there through my time in school
I work as an administrative assistant to the vocational rehabilitation office in Missoula Montana. Typical work day was very relaxed, easy going, and high paced at the same time. My work consisted of file receiving and transfers, working with veterans to help them get benefits, mail processing, anything that my vocational rehab counselors needed besides – more... my basic duties. – less
Wonderful colleagues
Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Bay Pines, FLMay 22, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: the management, up to the director.
Management was awful, never listening to the "underlings", bullied and harassed employees, forced them into positions that made us, the nurses disregard any type of patient privacy , despite many complaints of the nursing team they blatantly violated the HIPPA act, knowingly. Secretly taped phone conversations to the patient, without prior notification – more... which is a required law in Florida according to FCC in the US.
Employees that are able are fleeing from this very hostile & toxic workplace. – less
Education help offered
Certified Nursing Assistant/BHT (Former Employee), Tucson, AZMay 21, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: you get pulled for
It gears up quickly and is at full speed, I have learned how to be flexible to be pulled in several different directions and priortize for deadlines. Team work environment, co-workers help out. Most difficult part of the job is working with the inmate facilities and meeting my deadlines by Regional Office.
The most enjoyable part of my job is continuous – more... change. – less
For me cleaning is one job i enjoy.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee), Northampton, MAMay 21, 2014
Pros: co-workers / pay
Cons: snow shoveling
All work days was enjoyable work and co-workers, worked as a team on projects hardest part of job for me was stripping and waxing floors. BUT I WAS THE BEST !!!
Interesting
QA Analyst/ Performance Engineer (Current Employee), McLean, VAMay 20, 2014
mainly testing and trying to make the testing practices better
A great place to work
TWE/Housekeeping Aid (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMay 18, 2014
Pros: very, very helpfull and informative.
Cons: a little restrective for adults.
The Veterans Administration has been very helpful to me. I recommend every veteran no matter what issues or age to find out what they can do for you.
Best Job Ever
SAH Agent/Senior Appraiser (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 16, 2014
Pros: rewarding
Cons: government red tape
Most rewarding thing you can do is to help veterans.
Was able to do field work
Very fulfilling and satisfying job
Meet a lot of interesting people

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos