Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very office friendly
Secretary (Former Employee), Leesport, PAMay 6, 2014
The staff were helpful and made sure that I understood what was going on and how to do it.
Productive and fun workplace
Medical Instrument Technician (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMay 5, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, and wonderful veterans
Cons: cafeteria food
Every day is different but enjoyable. The doctors and nurses are united in providing the proper car for our veterans. We work together and are always on the same page. We respect each other and our ideas. The veterans are thought of first and in any procedure being done and we always explain the procedure fully so they understand. A typical day is always – more... differend because we do different procedures each day at different times. But as a unit we work well and help each other. The hardest part of the job is when we have to overbook a procedure and make sure that the coverage will give us the extra hand to complete out task. I enjoy every aspect of my job. Working with experienced doctors and nurses and being able to help our veterans is most enjoyable. – less
It's a good place for unemployed Veterans to get job training.
Supply Technician (Former Employee), Long Beach, CAMay 5, 2014
Pros: on the job training
Cons: the low pay
Being an Air Force Veteran, I have been going there for medical treatment since 1981 and it's about the best hospital for the money around since Veterans get services free. A typical day at work consisted of stocking shelves with medical equipment and transporting it to the various clinics in the hospital. The management was o.k. since there was almost – more... no stress or pressure since it was a training program. The hardest part of the job was remembering where each piece of equipment went on the shelves in order to keep the time down in stocking the shelves but I got used to it over time. The most enjoyable part of the job was in working with the mentally disabled students that worked there for 4 hours a day to get a free lunch; it was fun helping them to do better in life and to understand life better. – less
Friendly Staff
File Clerk (Practicum Intern) (Former Employee), Dublin, GAMay 4, 2014
Pros: flexible hours, friendly co-workers
Cons: needed more hours
My typical day at work was working as an Intern for Health Information Technology. I learned that every record that you process or enter data is confidentiality. The co-workers at this job were friendly and was able to train me and other interns. The most enjoyable part of this job was that I was doing a job that I desired.
Busy fast paced, fun, gives self pride to help others in need.
Hospital House keeping /Safety staff (Former Employee), Muskogee OklahomaMay 3, 2014
Pros: working to help veterans in need
Cons: poorly trained supervisors. attitudes of some toward veterans
Very busy time schedule's. working in the ER to maintain a clean and healthy environment for our Veterans in need. Management was not trained at the level needed to assist many employees. compensation did not match the required experience to do many jobs. I enjoyed working in the operating rooms and the ER. it was a fun and friendly environment. people – more... worked as a team on a daily basis to assist our veterans in need. I enjoyed working on the DE-CON team as we all were volunteers. we practiced often with mock incident's to keep our training up. – less
Talented Doctors
Phlebotomist/Medical Assistant (Former Employee), Columbus, OHMay 2, 2014
This was a contact position I wasn't there long enough to really have a opinion. it was a good job to have at the time, I do miss some of the doctors that were there.
N/A
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 2, 2014
Federal Agency for Veterans Healthcare and Benefits.
Hospital
Campus
Outstanding organization
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee), Jackson, MSMay 1, 2014
Train, advise, and consult on employee/labor relations and security programs
Great clinical experience
Clinical Rotation (Former Employee), Memphis, TNApril 30, 2014
• 8-week spinal cord injury unit/acute care rotation
• ASIA A-E injuries
• Power mobility evaluations
• Wound care: Stage IV pressure ulcers, Wound V.A.C.
• ICU and SICU
Can't really beat it in general!
Police Officer (Current Employee), Augusta, GAApril 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits, very decent pay, and it takes an act of congress to get fired.
Cons: too much red tape to accomplish anything.
In general, there's not much out there. Where else in the world can you make a decent salary, great benefits, excellent retirement, and really not have to do that much?

I love being a federal unionized worker!
Patient Centered and Employee Focused
Program Support Assistant (Current Employee), East Orange, NJApril 30, 2014
Pros: the medical and dental benefits
Cons: no cons
Working for the VA has many rewards, including wonderful medical and dental benefits. It is the place to be for people who can navigate the system to achieve results. I learned how to be more outspoken because verbal communication was a critical part of the job
VA review
Secretary/Program Support Assistant (Former Employee), Durham, NCApril 28, 2014
Pros: being able to help vetrans get health care.
Cons: not being able to directly work with the vetrans.
I enjoyed working for the VA hospital. It was very fulfilling. Being a veteran myself I understood how much our work affected them. I was placed in the accounting department which was a new experience for me. I stated my day off by filing paperwork for the new veterans. I would also sort the mail, and answer phone calls. As the day proceeded I would – more... work on the database to ensure all the veterans got their money for coming to the VA. I would also make sure all of the other departments got reimbursed the money that they spent. All day I would answer phone calls and do anything the supervisory accountant asked me to do.

Eventually I moved from the finance department to the emergency department of the hospital. I worked as the Program Support Assistant of the Emergency Department. I was in charge of updating the nurses training folders and making sure they were meeting all the regulations. – less
Job security with great benefits and work/life balance.
Health Systems Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 23, 2014
Working for the federal government has many rewards. It is the place to be for people who like structure and can navigate the system to achieve results. The most enjoyable part of the job are the benefits and work/life balance. If you are ambitious, you can reach a plateau fairly quickly which has its good and bad.
Think tank of professionals dedicated to excellence
Senior Program Manager (7Delta) (Current Employee), columbia, mdApril 23, 2014
Pros: supportive executive management team
Cons: long hours
Challenging, rewarding, supportive, continuous learning, rewards performance
Patient Services
Patient Services Assistant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioApril 22, 2014
Pros: benefits
The government offers many benefits. I was a part of a Co-Op student program that offered a lot of flexibility around work schedule and college courses.
great job helping veterans
Assistant Program Manager (Former Employee), Oakland, CAApril 20, 2014
To characterize this position as work would not be fair or accurate, because while serving in this position I benefitted personally in both mind and spirit. In essence, it would be accurate to say that I received more that I could have ever given. The position required the following:
• Providing service and support to our Nation’s wounded warriors in – more... the form of assisting them via vocational rehabilitation. A program implemented by the Department of Veteran Affairs.
• Managed contracts in excess of $1m that assisted veterans in the areas of tutoring, classes, financial assistance, and rebuilding their lives. Just to name a few.
• In addition to the aforementioned items, I was responsible for the compiling data regarding the budget and providing the information to Department of Veteran Affairs on a monthly, quarterly, and annual basis.
• My duties also included the management of approximately twenty-five (25) contractors engaged in the vocational rehabilitation program. Responsibilities included accurate accounting of all funds, liaison activities, communications, and ensuring that the beneficiaries of the program’s services received the quality assistance that they needed and deserved. – less
Work Study for school
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 20, 2014
Pros: it was a fun job
Cons: i graduated too fast
I worked here as apart of my work study program in school, so that I could have real work experience as a CNA for Job Corps. I enjoyed working with everyone here. I worked mainly with occupational therapists and physical therapists. I was also given my first set of residents who were all disable veterans. I heard a lot of war stories from WWII. I also – more... learned how to keep records and read medical terminology. – less
Awesome employer.
Chief Business Office (CBO) (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 18, 2014
Great work environment with multiple opportunities for career growth.
very dinamic & diverse environment
Program Support Assistant, GS (Current Employee), 385 Tremont Ave. East Orange, NJ 07018April 18, 2014
Pros: leadership is very supportive of my educational & proffesional growth
Cons: dealing with irate veterans very stressfull sometimes
I enjoy working here for the past 21 years. I have some co-workers/friends who go extra mile for their patients & I love being part of such a caring & giving environment.
Supportive and enjoyable work environment with pool volleyball on Wednesdays and ping pong during lunch hour.
OT Intern (Former Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 17, 2014
Pros: discounted lunches at the canteen, 50% productivity meant quality patient time
Cons: 10 hour shift and short breaks
The hardest part of the job was the initial getting used to the government setting and hospital setting. I learned how to be more outspoken because verbal communication was a critical part. Co-workers were easy to get along with and communicate with. I really enjoyed working with veterans and getting to know them.

About Department of Veterans Affairs

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is a government-run military veteran benefit system with Cabinet-level status. – Read more

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos