Department of Veterans Affairs

Department of Veterans Affairs Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Unprofessional ,degrading, worst place to work
Medical staff (Former Employee), north Chicago VAMarch 11, 2014
Pros: few nice civilian staff
Cons: horrible management. unprofessional navy officers. stay away
Worked at VA north Chicago Worst place to work. Since the merge w navy took over. Treated staff poor. Management poor. Working w veterans was nice. But no one is happy there and all are waiting to retire. Common question was how much longer do you have to retire. Worst 3 years of my life. It did not have to be bad. Navy should work w navy. Officers – more... were unprofessional. Rude unqualified After discussing findings w upper management they choose to ignore. Bullying , & women treated poorly. Union was useless. All employees were so unhappy it was sad to work there.
The only thing positive there was some lovely civilian workers there.
I'm so glad I'm gone. Lesson learned. – less
Poor place to work
Data Performance Specialist (Current Employee), Des Moines IAMarch 10, 2014
very poor leadership
just look at the retention rates - do not take a job there
Great Experience
Social Work Intern and Research Assistant (Former Employee), North Hills, CAMarch 10, 2014
Lots to learn. Great opportunity to work with professionals in different fields. Rewarding opportunity.
Several Projects to work on and a lot of experience received
Systems Redesign Resident (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 10, 2014
I was invovled in several process improvement projects and found that through these projects I gained a many skills that I had not had prior. My department worked well and there were always several projects that needed to be completed in many areas of the hospital. I did not enjoy the culture at the hospital and I found many employees in other areas – more... lacking many key skills such as computer literacy. There is also very little movement within the organization. Any movement can take months and the upward mobility is slow. – less
A great place to start.
Medical Supply Technician (Current Employee), El Paso, TXMarch 9, 2014
Pros: free training
Cons: lot of work
A good to learn,and grow.Always learn something everyday,great amount of training.It great to help out the soldiers and vets.
Work at your own pace
FCCPAC as By Light Contractor (Current Employee), orlando, FLMarch 6, 2014
Pros: all holidays off
Cons: career growth
Good place to work as a contractor if career development is not a priority.
Typical Federal Office Job
Veterans Claims Examiner - Term GS-09 (Current Employee), Buffalo, NYMarch 5, 2014
Pros: good compensation and benefits, meaningful work
Cons: job security
For the most part, working at the VA is your typical Federal office job. It's generally Monday to Friday during normal business hours, with overtime as needed depending on the workload. Breaks are well regimented. Efficiency is highly looked up as it is very production-oriented work. The lower management is very in-tune with its workers, but gets slowly – more... more disconnected the higher you get up the food chain. Most of the co-workers are older in age and many are veterans. Job stability for several employees has been very precarious in recent months due to lack of pending legislation to continue certain education benefits. However, the work is very meaningful, knowing you are helping veterans live better lives. – less
Productive work place
Carpenter/ Masonry (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYMarch 5, 2014
the management is excellent. coworkers help each other out. everyone takes are of each other.
Great Work Place
Secretary (OA) (Former Employee), Tuscaloosa, ALMarch 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits
I enjoyed working at the Dept of Veterans Affairs. My job consist of working with the Veterans on a daily basis and I enjoy providing customer service.
Employee satisfaction of helping others.
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee), Salem, VAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: wonderful patients, and staff!
Cons: we have some heavy patients.
I enjoy my job very much. I work hare and get a lot of satisfaction in my daily interaction with the patients and my coworkers.
It can be a physically demanding job which I do well with.
I love it when a patient tells me he appreciates me and responds to my kindness towards him or her.
I love the Veterans I have contact with. And, truly appreciate their – more... service! – less
Federal Government
Medical Director VA Outpatient Center (Current Employee), Delray Beach, FLMarch 3, 2014
The VA treats Veterans from all branches of the military for a range of medical, psychiatric, and surgical problems. They provide comprehensive medical care for the country's veteran population.
We work with a large staff of paraprofessionals and our utmost concern is to provide the best medical care possible through West Palm Beach VA hospital and – more... specialty care network.

An essentially paperless medical record using CPRS, one of the most extensive EMRs. Patient aligned care team developement and privacy of information is very important and adhered to. – less
Job work / Life benefits are fantastic
Employee & Labor Relations Manager (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYMarch 2, 2014
Pros: pension
Cons: no advancement
I enjoy working there but it's about time to move on. It's a federal job so the Federal benfits are nice but the pay is low and there is no advancement.
Working with Veterans
Accountant Assistant (Former Employee), Madison, WIMarch 2, 2014
As a Veteran myself, I found this place to be an excellent place to work if you have the heart to work with Veterans. You meet a lot of new friends, and the work environment is one of a kind. Majorities of the works are Veterans, and we understand one another and give our respect towards one another.
Highly motivated, hands on, flexible, hardworking, muti tasked, analytical, customer service oriented and dedicated in all task and mission assigned.
Budget Analyst, GS-11 (Former Employee), Reno, NevadaMarch 2, 2014
Pros: work during lunch break or after work to meet deadline
Cons: request only if an family emergency occurs
Always report to work indicated on schedule arrive early if needed. Work well with management. Work with customers to ensure excellent and quality work is provide. Work with customer complaints to the best of my knowledge before informing upper management of the situation.
Work well with co-workers. Work as group to ensure all duties and responsibilities – more... are performed with Quality and Excellent.
Jobs are not hard with research and working with others you will succeed in all I do,

Most enjoyable part of my job is accepting the challenges given and complete the task before the deadline date, – less
Evilness Breeds at the V.A.
Technician (Former Employee), Seattle WaMarch 2, 2014
A typical day at the V.A. go to a getto that would be pleasent.
Co-workers will stab you in the back or front they do not care.
The hardest part of the job going there.
There was nothing enjoyable but leaving.
The management of this facility (if that's what it's called) is nonexsistant. This is why the goverment gets a bad reputation. The management – more... of this facility need to be removed. Maybe and only maybe then will the vets really get the care they deserve. – less
Challenging, Excitement, Always keeps you busy.
Veterans Canteen Services (Former Employee), North Chicago, ILFebruary 27, 2014
Learned a lot at this job, always kept me busy management was fine, very responsive and was on the problem in a second.
V.A. contract position
Biomedical Equipment Support Specialist (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: variety of work responsibilities
Cons: minimal training provided
Worked on biomedical and medical imaging equipment. Performed maintenance and PM's on Cardiac Cath. Labs, C.T., Endoscopy, M.R.I., Nuclear Medicine, Ultrasound, X-Ray imaging equipment.
A secure career
Patient Relations Rep (Current Employee), Houston, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: retirement
Cons: red tape
there are so many opportunities at the VA and if you are willing to transfer
CLEAN
Medical Supply Specialist (Former Employee), Hot Springs, SDFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: ease
Cons: temp
Housekeeping is fun people great ,job is ease what can i say bad
The most difficult place I have ever worked in my entire work life.
Secretary, VA, OGC (Current Employee), Washington, DCFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: it's a job with a paycheck.
Cons: everything
The office I'm in has the worst management staff I have ever worked with in my entire 40 years of working. It's not what you know, it's who you know. There is favoritism being shown on a daily basis. The workload is tremendous, but there is no incentives from management, i.e., promotional considerations, awards, recognition, to do anything. Management – more... is belittling, nasty, ill-tempered and unthankful for the job the administrative staff does to keep the work moving. – less

Department of Veterans Affairs Photos